Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,067
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

****500th BA review****

11.2oz bottle. Cap date reads 7.10.12, so I assume this has some nice age on it. I've had it in the cellar for nearly two years. Poured this into an unmarked snifter to split with a couple of other people.

A: Pours out a murky deep reddish brown color. I actually got some off white head initially, but then it settled into just loose bubbles around the edges of the glass. Some sticky lacing bits are left with a slight swirl around.

S: On the nose, I get the typical dark fruit aromas: raisin, figs, dates, prune, maybe some plum. Pulling some candied sugar notes. Malt sweetness leads to some caramel and toffee like smells. It really does smell amazing.

T: For the taste, strangely I get that candied sugar right away. Then the dark fruit component comes in. For sure, rum soaked raisin, fig, date, you name it. Those sweet malts give off delicious toffee flavors. It's so smooth. Nicely carbonated actually, which was a surprise. No booze but some heat warms the throat. Really a truly impressive brew.

M: Full but thinner than expected because of the carbonation.

O: A

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer pours a dark brown with a slight white head with some lacing. The smell is of raisins, nuts and chocoalte. The taste has lots of raisin flavors along with a nice chololate malt flavor. This beer is very full of flavor, there is also a nice flavor of the yeast that blends very nicely with the big malt flavor. The mouthfeel is nice, but the carbonation level seems low. For a +10% abv beer this is incredibly drinkable.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

100th Review! Acquired this beer at Gollem in Amsterdam. My profile pic is actually of me enjoying my first Westy at Gollem.

A - Stiff, tan head. Dark red to leathery brown in color. Looks very appetizing!

S - A plethora of delicious aromas. Very sweet vinous properties, brandy character, dark fruits and candied sugar.

T - Very wine-like. High ABV comes through as hot. Some bourbon qualities. Such a complex beer it is hard to pinpoint any one flavor.

M/D - One of the creamiest, smoothest beers I have had. I think the mouthfeel may actually be my favorite part of this beer. Not the 'best beer on planet earth,' in my opinion, but absolutely worth tracking down.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

After a night of disappointing beers, I figured this was the perfect moment to pull this one out. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Rochefort chalice. Bottled March 2008.

A- Pours a dark burgundy. Semi-clear. The bits of yeast that poured into the glass seemed to be suspended in the glass, absolutely motionless...even after I shook the glass. Produced a fingers width of off-white head. Some lacing and good head retention.

S- Exactly what I want in a quad. Nice sweet malt backbone with an influence of various dark fruits. Picking up figs and raisins. Very balanced and restrained.

T- As soon as the beer touches the palate, figs and raisins give off a sweet, fruit flavor...very mellow and just divine. As it settles, more of the malt flavors come out, adding a depth of sweetness. There's a slight bitterness in the finish. All the flavors mesh together perfectly...extremely balanced.

M- If there is a part of this beer that separates it from others in this style, this is it. Medium bodied with perfect viscosity for a quad. The carbonation gave it a fuller mouthfeel.

D- Nothing out of place, just smooth and balanced. The high alcohol is kept in check by the other flavors. Very easy to drink for a big beer.

Is this the best beer in the world? Absolutely not. Is this beer the best quad in the world? Debatable. Are the ratings influenced by hype? Without a doubt. That being said, this is a high quality beer. Flavors and ingredients are very much in synch...I can't explain it, but the mouthfeel is honestly what makes this beer. If you could equate the feel of velvet on the skin, that's what the texture of the beer felt like on the palate. Bottom line, good shit! However, I will not go out of my way to pay $20 for a 12 oz. bottle.

EDIT: the more and more I drink this, the more I realize how ridiculous the mouthfeel is. Truly a thing of beauty.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Westy 12 pours a hazy dark brown with almost a maroon or purplish tinge. The pour into my Duvel chalice creates a decent tan head that dissipates but leaves quite a bit of lacing. The aroma on this beer is outstanding. It's a great blend of dark fruits, brown sugar, and Belgian yeast. There's a little bit of booze to tie it together.

The taste is far more subtle than I had expected. This is not a bad thing. Similar to the smell, dark figs or plums are prominent. A definite flavor of charred brown sugar. A small hit of crisp, light hops. Complex yet restrained. Beautifully balanced, with just the right amount of booze. The mouthfeel is very sticky, with carbonation lighter than I'd expected. I did my best to pace myself, but it was gone before I knew it.

Now, obviously, I can't answer the question about whether this is the best beer in the world. That's a completely subjective question. I can do a little better by comparing it to other quads. I would need to taste them side-by-side a few times to really make up my mind, but my first instinct is that I like St. Bernardus Abt 12 a tiny bit better. But if you're a Belgian beer fan, or any sort of beer fan at all really, Westy 12 is worth at least some of the hype and is an absolute must-try.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Deep mahogony in color this poured a thick fluffy beige head. The nose gave off complex scents of sweet dark fruit, raisins, dark malt, chocolate dipped toffee, yeast, mineral and dark caramel. In the mouth it was medium-bodied with nice concentration yet light-on-its-feet due to the abundance of carbonation. The mouthfeel is soft and round with good richness in the midpalate which adds some dry/bitterness on the finish. Balance is the key work here and it has that in spades!

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Did a tasting called "My Four Quads" - Westvleteren 12, St. Bernardus Abt 12, Rochefort 10 & Koningshoeven Quadrupel.

Cap dated: 17.11.12
Pours a murky reddish brown with some khaki head that recedes quickly. Complex hues, reminds me of cherry wood.

Nose: Figs and dates, dried oats and old barnboards. Forest floor, dry leaves. I want to say musty, but it's not like mold or attic, it's like an old hay barn. Something right off the bat like fruitcake or preserved citrus.

Palate: Rich and creamy right off the bat. "Rum raisin" per Carl Crafts. Pound cake, tanned leather, figs (both fresh and dried). Complex and tasty. The finish has creeping astringency from the hops. No hop flavor to speak of, but a drying finish. I'm actually kinda parched. Some tin or metallic note way out on the finish.

My favorite of the 4.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

2009 bottle picked up from the Brewery. It pours mahogany to deep ruby in colour with a thin foamy beige head. The nose is wood, ginger, raisin, fig, date, orange-zest, leather and dark chocolate. The taste unbelievably complex: wood, caramel, toffee, plum, cherry, date, prune, fig, stewed pear, red grape, banana, vanilla, leather, smoke, charcoal, milk and dark chocolate, rich-roast coffee, liquorice, nice alcohol warmth....the list could go on. The underlying sweetness balances the more savoury flavours. It has fine carbonation, a full body, layers of complexity, surprising smoothness and one of the longest finishes around. Awesome.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip-type glass. Deep ruby color--quite clear before including the yeast. White head with small, dense bubbles quickly falls, though leaving persistent lacing.

The smell of this brew was of candied apples, figs, and a backnote of a sweet dessert wine.

Like the smell, there is a sweet dessert wine flavor, a sweet hint of alcoholic heat, and deep candied figs and apricots. The carbonation lends a peppery quality to the taste. There is a sweetness in the background. Though this is a pretty serious beer, it isn't terribly heavy in texture.

4.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz. bottle (Shelton Bros. import) poured into a chalice at a beer bar.

It has been a while since I last reviewed a beer on here, but since this has been one of my holy grails for many years, I figure I ought to review now that I've finally tried it.

Poured a dark brown color with minimal bubbly head. Aroma of dark malts, and the tiniest hint of fruit. Taste was similar, with perhaps even less fruits, but the sweetness was balanced, I thought. Nice, solid mouthfeel.

The first time I had St. Bernardus 12 (per my review here), I enjoyed it but didn't think it was great (it is a bit more dry and less fruity than Rochefort 10) - my like it it has grown very much over the years, and to be honest, I doubt that I could tell the difference between the two if I couldn't see the bottle. Until I manage to do a side-by-side of Westy 12 and Bernardus 12, I'll side with the assertions that these are effectively the same beer.

While an excellent beer, I have no interest in trying this again until I manage to visit the brewery. For the outrageous price of $40, I could have enjoyed the same experience with a bottle of St. Bernardus 12 six times over...

4.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Best by 1-8-15

A - Dark brown with red hues. Creamy head when poured aggressive - fades fast.

S - Grapes, oak, vanilla, alcohol, raisin

T - White wine, oak, bourbon, char/smoke, peach, grape, cherry

M - Thick, creamy, and bubbly. Leaves the mouth sticky afterwords.

O - It's a nice treat if you are lucky enough to get your hands on one. You can taste the clean simple ingredients and love for brewing. Well crafted. Prost!