Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,878
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.49/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Dark, hazy, muddy brown. Mixed foam, off-white head. Ok retention and lace.

S - Milk chocolate, prune, fennel, pumpernickel bread, rum soaked fruit cake.

T - Huge flavor profile. Prune, caramel, toasted raisin bread, milk chocolate, vanilla, Drambuie, honey.

M - Thick, boozy, full body. Smooth, lingering finish.

O - Doesn't disappoint. Outstanding nose, and incredible integration and balance on the flavor profile. The best Quad I've had to date.

vfgccp, Mar 24, 2013

Best by 11/29/2015. Served in a Chimay goblet

Appearance: Pours a murky brown color with some visible yeast sediment floating in the glass. There was slightly more than a finger of a frothy light tan head with good retention and lacing.

Smell: Rum soaked dark fruits. Raisin, fig, plum, caramel, brown sugar, belgian yeast

Taste: Similar to the nose. More booze soaked raisins, fig, cherry, sweet bread, apple, yeast spice

Mouthfeel: Lighter side of full bodied with medium carbonation. It has a soft, slightly creamy mouthfeel that's really nice. Alcohol is hidden incredibly well. Goes down so smooth.

Overall: There's no doubt this is a world class beer. I would rank this as my #1 quad. If you've never tried it, I would recommend seeking out a bottle, and maybe a couple extras to save for special occasions. With that being said, is it worth the extra money and effort it would take to obtain this on any type of semi regular basis? In my opinion, no (and I don't know that there's any beer out there that would be).

Jonada, Mar 12, 2013
4.49/5  rDev -2.6%

at long long last, I finally got my chance to try this beauty. a friend of a friend lucked out when it came to the states, shared a bottle, and I was invited. the anticipation was obviously huge here, and the beer met all expectations. this pours a lighter brown color with plenty of fish food yeast floaters and maybe a finger or two of tan airy froth. the nose is remarkably complex, lots of interesting dried fruits and that classic Belgian yeast. it also smells pretty sweet, like brown sugar or molasses, and just a clue about its strength. the flavor immediately reminds me of Ramadan. dried figs and dates, raisins, and bready yeast, its got a lovely buttery component, and seems somehow understated compared to what my palates definition of a quad is, recognizing of course that this is THE quad of quads, and this is a personal definitional problem, rather than a shortcoming of this particular brew. its layered and refined, and dangerously drinkable. the body is light, still medium probably, but it doesn't feel heavy or sticky or filling at all. the carbonation is ultra bright, and the flavors come one after the other throughout the entire drink until well after the swallow. this beer is famous and renowned for a reason, it is of the highest quality. I am maybe most impressed by how well the alcohol is hidden. one would never know this beer is so strong. one of those rare moments when you feel a connection with people you have never and may never meet. this beer is like a brotherhood of sorts, and I am humbled and honored to be a part of it now.

StonedTrippin, Apr 28, 2013

sunofneurot, Aug 26, 2014
4.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Cracked my second bottle from my 12.12.12 Westy 12 brick between the football games on New Year's Day 2013 so that I could do a proper review. I have had the Westvleteren Blue Cap and Yellow Cap twice before in a bar, but never have I "owned" these coveted beers, and I must admit that I have taken them out of the fridge a few times to just hold them and comfort them prior to my indulgence. So now is the time to cut open the hype, and to determine whether this really is "the best beer in the world"? Is there such a thing as "the best beer in the world", any more than than the existence of the "best sex in the world"? Let's see . . . .

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle (10.02.15 date) into the gift pack chalice, after being stored at 51F in my wine cabinet all day and then sitting out at room temp for about 15 minutes. (I'm pretty sure I drank my first one last night too cold.).

A: Pours a medium mahogany / teak color which is more transparent than other quads I have had. Despite visible clumps of dark yeast coming out in the pour, the beer is not overly cloudy in the glass, but is almost burgundy around the edges. The chunky head dissipated pretty quickly and left no lacing whatsoever, a bit of a disappointment, pours like an undercarbonated Coke.

N: The nose is appealing and complex, but much more subdued than I would have expected. Relatively boozy smelling, with vanilla , apple and fig ester smells the predominant notes, backed up by a strange, though not un-appealing buttery woody aroma and the ever so slightest rucola mediciny smell.

T: Bready and malty biscuit foundation with sweet toffee, caramel and fruity notes. The more it opens up, the buttery flavors and the sweetness comes through more prominently with a cola / prune / vanilla flavor which for some reason reminds me of Dr Pepper (not a bad thing.) The taste profile is definitely complex and quite enjoyable and I got almost no warming alcohol burn. One of the more subtle quads I have ever had.

MF: This is where the Westvleteren Cistercians excel, both in the Dubbel and the Quad. The mouthfeel is just so smooth, sensual and enjoyable. The mouthfeel is much more carbonated than the beer appears in the glass, but it's almost velvety in texture.

In summary, is this a great beer? Yes. Is it the best beer in the world? For me, probably not. Like sex, everything is relative and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've had beers that I enjoyed better, but I just slept with a super model, so I'm gonna gloat for a while.

JeffreyJDavis, Jan 01, 2013
4.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle dated 25.8.12 . Just over three years old.

A: Dark amber, brown with a creamy half-finger head. Glass w/o yeast shows some light when held up, but the glass w/ swirled yeast is much darker.

S: Rich dark fruits. Deep toffee. Fairly sweet, lightly floral. Namely fig, dark plum, and candied fruit in the nose.

T: Sweet fig. The ultimate malt-forward beer, with candied fruit, moderately spicy bread. The glass with the swirled yeast is stronger in flavor, but introduces phenolic notes which I do not enjoy. So, pour carefully.

M: Thin to moderate in body with moderate to high carbonation. Works well.

O: Very good. Obviously hyped, but more enjoyable than any other Trappist beer that I've tried. At three years, it's tasting very nicely.

Hophead717, Sep 17, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -2.8%

18.11.14 bottle cap date. Served in a Westvleteren goblet.

Pours with a voluminous two fingers of dark tan foam, dissipates quickly without much lacing. The body is a nearly opaque dark plum color, hues of dark red.

Smells of dark fruits and berries. Grapes, raisins, cherries, vinous red wine and some tobacco. Also a strong caramel malt backbone to balance.

Taste is very grape-forward, like a port with dark fruits, rum, caramel, finishing dry with a little wood. This beer is so smooth and the alcohol well hidden.

Great mouthfeel for a quad, not too syrupy or heavy. Carbonation is present but soft, and the beer is dry with mild stickiness. Not much alcohol heat either.

I don't think this is the best beer in the world but it's a superb one nonetheless. Very drinkable for a 10.2% quad and not too sweet. It's excellent, highly recommended, and worthy of the acclaim.

islandboi8204, Mar 11, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Served in a 11.2 oz bottle into a La Trappe goblet. Acquired in a trade with Pete, thanks!

A- Pours a muddy brown, sediment filled body with a beautiful and perfectly sized khaki colored head, creamy head that leaves a little lacing. As it reduces, the top of the head forms a few brown swirls.

S- Fruity esters, white grapes, vanilla, baked bread, unripe bananas, burned sugar, raisins, a little booze.

T- Upfront I get candi sugar, nutty notes, light citrus, bananas, dark fruits. This progresses into a roastyness with caramel and fruits that sits on the tongue for a bit. Not getting much alcohol which is good for the 10.2 ABV.

M- Very easy to drink, creamy, medium body with medium-low carbonation.

Was this a world class, complex, easy drinking belgian? Absolutely yes. Was it the best beer in the world? That's debatable. I could see it holding that title a few years back, but now that it has competitors with similar (if not better) taste profiles, I think not. Don't get me wrong, this beer was amazing. Anyone who has access to it needs to try it at least once. But it's price and rarity are a sky high, and if you can't get a hold of one don't lose sleep over it.

gcamparone, Apr 10, 2013

Poured from a bottle into a Westy 12 chalice

A- pours a dark brown with a good amount of reddish tint, a nice slightly off-white one finger head appears and slowly dissipates to a nice covering, fairly good amount of lace sticks to the glass

S- molasses, burnt sugar, dark fruits like figs and raisins, sweet candi sugar, slightly fruitiness from the belgian yeast, smells incredible

T- Burnt sugar, raisins, cherries, lightly bitter hop aftertaste which is surprising, dark malt, sugary sweetness is mixed in, fruity belgian yeast notes, a little bit of nutmeg, alcohol is fairly present

M- heavy body but not overly thick, high carbonation, slick over the palate

O- this is a very good quad, however I definitely think it could benefit from some aging which is why I'm glad I split my gift pack with a buddy and have two more bottles, I'd like to see the alcohol subside slightly, other than that a solid beer even if it is a little over-hyped in my opinion

nova009, Dec 31, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Finally got to sample this much anticipated treat!

A: Dark Dark brown, very cloudy. Light brown head that didn't stick around for very long. Left some decent lacing though.

S: Nutty, Lots of different malt characteristics.

T: Rich flavors of nuts, and malt, Belgian yeast and some fruit. The fruit was subtle but prune or fig is what I tasted, very nutty.

M: Very well balanced and light for a quad. good carbonation. Great mouthfeel.

O: This beer was awesome but put next to some of the other great Quads I have had I don't think it really would be leagues above them. This beer def didn't live up to the hype and I don't think it deserves the #2 spot overall. With that said it was still very enjoyable and a great beer!

animortician, Jun 26, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Finally opened this after sitting on it for over a year for my graduation. Pours a very nice brown ruby color with a nice finger and a half of head that recedes to a nice substantial film of head. Aroma is lots of plum, dark fruit, a bit of honey, and a lot of floral aromas. Flavor has a bit more spice than the aroma, some warming alcohol and a lot of honey and a bit of sweetness. Medium mouthfeel with low to medium carbonation. Could have been a bit lighter.

Great graduation beer. Lived up to my expectations as a great quad.

Agold, Mar 14, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Either thanks to brabander or one I carted back myself. I'm not quite sure.

A cloudy, slightly chunky dark brown colour which is quite pale at the edges. Small, light tan head with decent head retention.

Sherried malt and raisins. Dried dates. Light Christmas spices. Malt and toffee. Rich and complex.

The flavour maintains a balance between lightness and richness. It is sweet and sherried without being cloying. Light hard fruits. Touches of raisin. Not bad at all.

Medium body with moderately-high carbonation. Eminently digestible.

A delicious and complex Trappist ale. It is truly excellent though I'm not sure I buy into the myth that it is the best of the Trappists.

dgilks, Nov 14, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Poured into my St. Bernardus Chalice, this brew pours a dark brown with slight amber highlights. Rivaling Rochefort 10, this is one dark quad. The head on this brew is lacking, which is holding my score to a firm 4.0.

S: As soon as the bottle cracks open, BOOM! An explosion of dark fruit, Belgium spice, and sweet warming alcohol.

T: Flavor follows the nose, more dark fruits, spice notes, and alcohol is present, but delicious.

MF: Mouthfeel is almost perfect. Full, but just a tad light on the carbonation.

D: Drinkability is excellent, and I'm getting a little sad that this brew is almost gone =(

Overall, Westvleteren 12 is worth it's praise, however I still hold Rochefort 10 as it's superior.

TKEbeerman, Sep 01, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -3%

orrshow received a bottle in CanBif from Goldorak, and decided that he had to share it with me. Neither of us know when we will next have the opportunity to taste this one. Date on the cap was 06 04 07.

Poured slowly into a chalice. It is murky brown and no head formed. Kinda looked like muddy water. I'll admit I was hoping for darker, with a creamy head, as I've seen from other Quads.

I could smell it when the glass was a couple feet away as orrshow finished pouring. It has a very sweet smell that is rife with alcohol. A little bit reminiscent of ice cold, fine scotch, port wine and dark rum. Raisins and other dark fruits, baked sweets and candy sugar. With each smell I could likely add another item to the list.

The taste is again big and sweet, full of alcohol. Again reminding me of tasting an ice cold scotch in the overall effect of it. Brown sugar and dark grapes, with many other subtle sweet flavours in the mix. The finish has a fairly hot alcohol burn, and has a touch of molasses.

This beer is rich and sticky in the mouth. The carbonation is there, but it is subtle and natural feeling.

This is very good, but I wonder if the hype and limited availability doesn't effect people's overall impression of the beer. I certainly wanted it to be the best beer I'd ever tasted, but it wasn't there. In a way it felt less like beer and more like a hard liquor drink with how prevelant the alcohol was. Having said all that, I would still like to have this again, and certainly wouldn't let any chance of acquiring it get by me.

elricorico, May 23, 2006
4.47/5  rDev -3%

I've been waiting for this brew and it was well worth the wait!!! Poured a large, invigorating long-lasting tan head with fine-small bubbles. There was good lacing on the sides of my glass. This brew had a cloudy brown body with yeast. It had a sweet aroma to it. I could definitely taste the alcohol in this brew and was it ever good!!! I think thedm enjoyed this brew just about as much as I did! What do you say thedm??

hotstuff, Jun 09, 2003
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Bottle poured into hotel glass to celebrate my 30th birthday. Cap stamped 16/6/13.

Pours a dark brown, not unlike the color of the bottle it was poured from. Forms at least an inch of tan head which clings to the glass like someone was coming to take it away

Smells of raisins, grape juice, and caramel.

The taste is more of the same. I love that grape juice characteristic, which is not unlike Pannepot Old Fisherman's ale. Very pleasant overall.

Finishes smooth. Very carbonated but not overly so.

Ahhhh, the question that can not be answered: is this the best beer in the world? It is certainly one of the best I've ever had, but I'm fairly new to the ticking scene, so I don't know how I'll ever k ow, unless I get my hands on a case and can compare every year or so to the new beers I've come across. Overall wonderful and one I'm glad to have ticked.

CruisaC, Apr 20, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3%

poured into a chardonnay wine glass (a chalice style) as i am travelling and dont have my glasses. best before 7.1.14 drunk on 11.10.2011 (DD/MM/YY).

poor head retention with minimal lacing, not what i expected. i do believe the glass may be the issue here.

soft malty nose with raisins and stewed plums coming to the front with notes of rich barley and caramel at the finish.

sweet on the palate with rich flavours of malt and stewed fruits with hints of caramel on the back end. the sweetness works well with the 10.2 ABV but is a little cloying with the sweetness. only a little!

mouthfeel is fantastic, thick on the tongue and the faintest ethanolic presence which cuts through the high sugar content to leave you wanting more. very long finish, god its good.

overall a fantastic beer. however the excess sugar and added caramel make the beer a little cloying, nothing compared to some other beers but still, for the worlds most acclaimed beer i find the balance could be more centered. having drunk a lot of belgian trappists on tap in belgium, i am fairly certain that if this was on draught these problems wouldn't exist. a travesty that the westy cafe was closed for the hop harvest festival when i was there.

to conclude, this beer needs to be drunk on draught to fully enjoy it, i got a fresh bottle but even so i just know it would have been out of this world if it was from a freshly tapped keg. next time i will report on and aged bottle, just give me a few years! the best trappist ive ever drunk and hopefully not the last time i drink it.

EDIT* reading back over the reviews. i believe this beer has been subject to the tried and true over-hype phenomenon. someone says its 'the shit', and people taste it, even if it isnt there. covet this beer but dont ASSUME its the be all and end all.

BeerWanker, Oct 11, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3%

a damn fine brew but i am still partial to the westy 8 over this one. it pours a cloudy amber/brown colour that is reminiscent of iced tea. there is a thin head here which is quick to dissolve and leaves virtually no lacing. the smell is just wonderful, with cherry, grape, plum and apple dominating a fruity aroma. there is a hint of alcohol here as well along with earthy tones. the taste is sweet, but less fruity than the smell and more focused on the earthiness in the smell, along with wood notes. alcohol is definitely present yet not overpowering. caramel, biscuit and maltiness were also hinted at throughout. this one is nice and smooth and quite easy to drink, though the alcohol does creep up on you suddenly. simply a great brew.

SixpointJMH, Dec 28, 2003
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Disclaimer, it is the first time I have this beer along with 6 other comparable, 5 of which are classified as ABTs and there's only one among the 6 that I've had before. Only one was not taken blind (ommegang three philosophers). So basically, I've taken the 5 following beers blind in the same session: rochefort 10 (only one I had before), westvleteren 12, st-bernardus 12, weyerbacher quad, gulden draak. All 5 were taken in a Chimay chalice A deep chocolate body with a fully diminishing off-white head, initially well-laced. Bottle-conditionned, with some beige sediments at the bottom. Aroma is a nice blend of vanilla and chocolate (black, brown and white), milkshakish, slightly vinous. It didn't grab me particularly, but seriously, let this warm and this becomes a tremendously complex malt offering. Full-bodied, creamy with a good carbonation. Taste is loaded with dark fruits: blackberries, plums, dates. It's a complex caramel cream with a chocolate syrup, no it's a cake, it's a pudding with a little alcohol bite. Very complex with a well-expressed yeastiness. Definitely the most complex of the ABTs. It's delicious for sure, but doesn't strike to me as the best beer in the world. It's the best balanced of the big dark ABT trappist styles to my liking, but it's not necessarily the most intense, although such a refined aftertaste is hard to match. Maybe I will rate it higher in a future tasting. It sure held the competition in a blind tasting, so I know this is pure world-class stuff, I'll have to get into deeper analysis eventually and will definitely enjoy doing so. By the way, this was a nice fit with the great quebeccer cheese Victor et Berthold, recommended by Simon_Patrice and provided by MartinT. Big cheers to Ciderguy and Hopsrus for each hooking me up with a westy 12.

Rastacouere, Mar 07, 2004
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a Kasteel goblet. Thanks to onedropsoup for this. I think this might be from 2009 due to the dateless cap.

The first (and only other) time I tried this beer I was at a tasting and had several brews before getting to this one. Boy was that a mistake. I couldn't smell or taste much of anything. Anyway, this time I get to fully enjoy it.

4.0 A: Pours a ruddy dark brown color. Initially, it poured fairly clear, but toward the end of the bottle, clumpy sediment started accompanying the liquid. Two fingers of mainly frothy beige head with slightly better than average retention and a formitable ring of lacing.

4.5 S: This is quite a complex brew! Surprisingly nutty, this is by far the nuttiest quad I've ever stumbled upon. Dry as well (I suppose that's expected from the candi sugar). Earthy and musty, and toasty like there is lots of brown malt. Only moderately spicy and nothing really stands out in this regard (maybe white pepper). Fig, tobacco, and pear brandy fruitiness. Ovaltine-like chocolate and just a touch of booze. This is very nice, but I'd prefer if it had some more power.

4.5 T: Not as complex as the nose, but much stronger flavors. Foremost there is brown sugar, caramel, tobacco, and molasses. Booze soaked figs, raisins, and prunes. Raw cacoa powder, nutty, and toasty. Peppery and to a lesser extent, clove, spiciness. Again, earthy and musty. Pretty damn good here too.

4.5 M: Light to lighter medium body. Carbonation is in perfect amounts with a good spritzy quality to it. Good amount of creaminess and super smooth with a touch of warmth on the finish.

4.5 D: I suppose this does live up to the hype. It's an excellent brew, but I'm not so sure that it's that much better that easier to get examples. Still, quite a brew!

DavoleBomb, Mar 05, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Pours a deep dark red with a one finger light tannish head that falls to a ring and leaves some lace behind.

Aroma is nice fruity malt lightly sweet some nice spice underneath. Smells nice and inviting good sweetness not cloying and not much candi sugars at all just good fruity malts. Aroma does fade in intenstiy quite quickly though.

Taste is nice lightly zesty malt good fruit grapes, rasins, dates dipped in nice molasses. Some good lingering spice clove blend with some coriander and a light alcohol flavor that blends well. Taste is great nice sweetness no cloying with candi sugars.

Mouthfeel is good nice big medium carbonation level is real good little zest, but not too much as many from this style seem to favor. Other Quads should take notes and follow suite.

Drinkability is very good also the best Quad I have had to date, didn't want to rate this well because all the crap I hear about it being the best but it is quite good. However not my favorite style so not the best beer in the world for me but can't find anything to nock it for. Big thanks to gimmehead for this great brew he slipped into a trade as a suprise.

mntlover, Mar 24, 2006
4.47/5  rDev -3%

A - Mahogany in color, good amount of sediment, sticky lace

S - Brown raw sugar, fig, raisin bread slightly browned

T - Brilliant mix of dried fruit with roasted malt. Tempting amount of hops lingers on the tongue begging for another sip. Signature Belgian yeast notes. Enough heat to pleasantly warm your belly.

M - Tastes as if it were straight from the tap. Subtle carbonation. Great body.

D - Dangerously easy to drink to start, becomes more intense about half way through.

Best Before Date: 2011-11-19
Epic thanks to beerwolf77 for sharing

bnieman, Dec 02, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -3%

This is my first Westy 12!!!

HUGE thanks to a regular trading partner Daniloknezic!

Date on cap reads: 23.03.14

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: light brown bodied beer with cranberry hue noted when held up to light. 1 finger of tan colored head that fades down into a thin cap on top of the beer.

Smell: Very fruity smelling quad; apples, pears, and dark fruits abound. A mild spicy smell is noted in the nose as well.

Taste: Caramel and brown sugar malty sweet goodness. Also very fruity just like the nose. Dark fruits are prominent. Hints of pears, red delicious apples and white grapes. Malty sweet and fruity. Its delicous.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with lively moderate carbonation. This beer is soo rediculously smooth and yet it has a syrupy feel to it is well. Not boozey at all. As the beer warms it becomes a little dry. Fantastic mouthfeel.

Overall: Yes I agree. This beer is living up to the hype for me. I really enjoy this beer and I want to get my hands on more! Seek it out and enjoy it. Every beer geek needs to try this once in thier life! Willing to visit the brewery for a beer that is without a doubt World Class beer!

4DAloveofSTOUT, Oct 15, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Cracked this in celebration of my third anniversary. Currently listening to Dr. Dre's Chronic Re-lit "B***hes Aint S**t."

Guess I'm one of those people that likes Westy 8 more, as my score isn't as high for the 12. Pours a swampwater brown but plenty of tan head salvages the appearance. Smell is sweet, malty, dark fruit, stone fruit, grapes, yeast, and bread. Tastes similar, but add brown sugar to the mix. I don't find this as complex and layered as the Westy 8. Maybe that means my palate isn't as complex, but it is what it is. Body is medium with medium to high carbonation. Highly drinkable. Could drink 3 no problem. But I disagree with the characterization of this beer as best in the world. It's great but easily eclipsed by several brews. I wonder to what extent the beer's high rating self-perpetuates additional high scores.

waltonc, Sep 04, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Definitely a very, very good beer. I would not go so far as to say that it is the best beer. That being said, it was a tremendous joy to drink, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to do so.

If I read the cap properly, then this was vintage 2003. Wow.

A: Pours reddish-brown with great lacing.

S: Smells of alcoholic warmth and raisins. Actually, it smelled very "dignified," if that makes any sense at all. The smell reminded me of cognac.

T: It tastes the way it smells, with sweet raisins and warm alcohol. Some other non-specific fruits in the background. The alcohol is definitely present. Again, sort of like a cognac. This is a tremendous beer. However, in a blind taste-test against Rochefort 10, for example, it would be a toss-up. While a very impressive offering, I guess I was expecting something more, given this beer's reputation.

M: Mouthfeel was good, although I would've liked it maybe a little thicker. It seemed to work quite well for this style.

D: I want another. Too bad it'll be quite some time. And at a steep price.

Again, this is an awesome beer. I encourage you to try it. But I was expecting it to be far and away the best.

Boppar, Mar 29, 2007