Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,888
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

Auror, Aug 11, 2012

CommonRider, Aug 10, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Dark brown. Beige head. Not massive and dissipates quickly.

S: Rummy. Phenolic. Bit of pipe tobacco. Underwhelming.

T: Queer flavour in the background - can't put my finger on it. Alcoholic bitterness. Sweet rummy aftertaste with some fresh cut grass - reminds me of Duvel. Slightly phenolic. Essentially it's a balance of sweetness and dark caramel. Pleasant alcohol burn down the throat, never had that from a beer before. There's a very subtle almond flavour at the bottom end of the spectrum and dark molasses at the top. A bit pipe tobacco-ey but not half as much as I was hoping for. Burping up Coca Cola.

M: Perfect. Smooth.

O: Having watched lots of hyperbolical Youtube reviews I was hoping for something about ten times more special, but absolutely no revelations here. I find mass produced Duvel more flavourful than Westy 12. A very nice drink but don't fall for the hype I say.

Hoppsbabo, Aug 09, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

WorldWideStout, Aug 09, 2012

philmen, Aug 08, 2012

stevebremer, Aug 07, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +8%

So lucky to try this beer on a trip to Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweeden.
Poured from bottle into Westvleteren Chalice. Poured a deep chestnut brown with slight deep red hue on edges. Slight bit of off-white head.
Smell is fantastic. Great dried fruit, chocolate, fig, booze, and roasted malt aromas. Taste was truly amazing. All the aromatic elements showed up here...but it was the balance of a slight chocolate and dried fruit flavors and the high boozyness that really made this just so tastey. Amazingly smooth, but noticeably strong. Its as if this wasnt even beer, but an entirely different beverage all together.
Price paid - roughly $40 USD, but more than worth the price for this beer; which is rightfully one of the best beers in the world.

DrinkSlurm, Aug 07, 2012

drewone, Aug 06, 2012

CGMLS3, Aug 06, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Pours a bubbly, cloudy, dark brown with champagne bubbles that linger but don't really maintain a solid head.

Smell: Spot on. All the dark, Abt/Quad elements one wants. Figs, dark, burnt sugar, clove and banana from the Trappist yeast.

Taste: Very powerful flavours. The mellow softness differentiates this from the Rochefort. The flavours here are calming maltiness, herbal spiciness, floral hoppiness and a lot of breadiness in the backbone.

Mouthfeel: To me, just a slight too much carbonation, but the smoothness and creaminess of the beer, minus the prickly bubbles is quite delectable.

Overall: I'm glad I got to try this in a way that supports the monks. This fundraiser gift-pack showed up in Alberta and I just had to pick it up even though it had a price tag of $75 for 6 of the Westy 12's and 2 collectible glasses. Not a terrible deal I suppose compared to the grey market prices, but still more than I'm used to paying. The beer speaks for itself though and there's a reason it's generally considered to be the greatest Trappist ale out there.

Hornet2003, Aug 05, 2012

The22Lou, Aug 03, 2012

jdheckman54, Aug 03, 2012

I made the pilgrimage to St. Sixtus to drink this beer. It was a highlight of my Belgian beer tour. I started with one bottle of each of Westvleteren's beers and the 12 was hands down my favorite.

It poured so smooth. The lace on glass was a perfect amount. The flavors were all delicate and came together to so perfectly for a smooth flavorful drinking experience. I tend to not like dark beers because they can feel too heavy. Despite the dark color this beer is not heavy at all.

I even managed to score a few bottles to bring home to America. I poured one a month later wondering if it would be as amazing as at the Abbey. It was. Once again it poured perfect and tasted amazing.

laurastradford, Aug 03, 2012
4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

****500th BA review****

11.2oz bottle. Cap date reads 7.10.12, so I assume this has some nice age on it. I've had it in the cellar for nearly two years. Poured this into an unmarked snifter to split with a couple of other people.

A: Pours out a murky deep reddish brown color. I actually got some off white head initially, but then it settled into just loose bubbles around the edges of the glass. Some sticky lacing bits are left with a slight swirl around.

S: On the nose, I get the typical dark fruit aromas: raisin, figs, dates, prune, maybe some plum. Pulling some candied sugar notes. Malt sweetness leads to some caramel and toffee like smells. It really does smell amazing.

T: For the taste, strangely I get that candied sugar right away. Then the dark fruit component comes in. For sure, rum soaked raisin, fig, date, you name it. Those sweet malts give off delicious toffee flavors. It's so smooth. Nicely carbonated actually, which was a surprise. No booze but some heat warms the throat. Really a truly impressive brew.

M: Full but thinner than expected because of the carbonation.

O: A

3.75/5  rDev -18.7%

Uvastephanie, Aug 01, 2012
4.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is so complex that I could have it again and different aspect would prevail. I had this with my best beer bud, Cervezango, while sitting in Brussels. This beer was a somewhat dark brown with a little ruby. The head was nice and creamy, a little off white. The smell sweet, herbal, toasty, caramel, alcohol, malty for sure. The taste as complex as the smell. The high alcohol isn't as strong as it would seem. This beer has it all. Creamy feel. I could review this again every day and probably not get board. I paid about $15 for one bottle, and I don't even regret it.

cambabeer, Jul 31, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: - Pours rather hazy brown. Somewhat lighter than I'd expect. Head retention on this one was pretty lacking. One finger head faded withing a minute or two. Yeast suspended and settled somewhat on the bottom.

Smell: - Dried figs. Somewhat malty. Some alcohol definitely present

Taste: - Sweet- dried fig overwhelmingly apparent. Some serious alcohol aftertaste, but less than what I would expect for the ABV. Malty and delicious.

Mouth Feel: - at first, almost too carbonated. Champagne-like effervescence detracts somewhat from the taste for this style in my opinion. I Let it sit and warm up for a few minutes (probably started a little too cool), and the mouth feel smoothed out remarkably.

Overall: Definitely a great beer. Somewhat sweeter than I'd expect, but I really like that. For my next one I'll try a more vigorous pour and make sure its starting at a better temp.

Psychmusic, Jul 30, 2012