1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,895
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Received this in trade from ZymasefungiI207I, much thanks. Had this with my wife and two of my best friends. Poured from a bottle into a tulip, it pours a moderate brown that is quite hazy and basically opaque. A light tan head forms and sticks around leaving a mild lacing. Carbonation is readily visible.

The aroma is where this begins to take off for me. Nice notes of grass and sweet malty, almost candy component. Complex and difficult to fully delineate, almost cotton candy-ish but very good.

The taste is a great mixture of spices, as well as a fruity sweetness that seems to be primarily grape. Very complex but tasty with a firm malty sweet backbone that seems to boost the spices. Alcohol is noticeable.

The mouthfeel is medium/full bodied. The sweetness goes down fairly smoothly and leaves a mild dry/bitterness at the finish. Just the right amount of carbonation.

This beer is very drinkable. The ABV actually makes it a bit dangerous but yum in every respect. Again, much thanks for the beer and I hope many people continue to enjoy.

SykDoc, Today at 01:18 AM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Well its time to crack this one open I won this particular bottle in a LIF hosted by Life is good major Karma goes her way. I figured this was the perfect time to celebrate this brew the last weekend of summer, the working mans weekend, and all truly life is good.

Bottle served slightly chilled in my favorite chalice. The pour produced a good two fingers worth of Brown head that goes to a great lace. The body was brown to a dark red in color

The nose has tons of Malts and dark fruits It is a little less Intense than expected But it may be just reality catching up to expectation. There was a hint of spice and alcohol as well as it warms.

Flavors of sweet dark fruits filled my mouth raisins figs and such. As it warms more of the alcohol is present in its bite but so does the spiciness in the flavor as well .Great mouthfeel and perfect carbonation for its style

For this holy grail of all brews this was a pleasure to drink, highly drinkable. The rarity of this brew aside. I do think it is close to a few of the other Belgian Quads I have tried St. Bernardus comes to mind. Don't get me wrong this brew was better balanced in the flavor department but I think if it comes down to it St. Bernardus is a close second.
Thanks again Life is good for sharing such a rare brew as well as another BA who will remain nameless for trading me one to put away for my son when he is legal age. Who knows I may even split it 60 /40 LOL

joepais, Today at 11:28 PM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I finally got my hands on one of these, and at these prices, one is all I should have. This beer poured a very dark cloudy amber color and formed a light tan foamy head that disappeared quickly leaving some circular lace. An aroma of alcohol, raisins and yeast/grains. A flavor of malt, caramel and raisin with some elements of spices. The finish is creamy and a touch sweet with elements of the alcohol. A very great belgian beer, but will need to try some others to see if this is really the best out there.

Wildman, Today at 07:51 PM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Dark brown color. Medium head. Aroma is yeasty and sour with a touch of fruitiness. WOW. An amazingly complex and excellently made beer. Full bodied. Malts are bold and flavorful. Very complex. Seems to be a different taste/flavor aspect with every sip. Fruity with raisins, plums and cherries interplaying with vanilla, chocolate and orange peel. Hides the 10.2% alcohol very well. This is one beer that is definitely worthy of all the hype/accolades it has received. Very smooth and extremely complex. Excellent beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is slightly sweet. Beer # 1100 on my personal list. Thanks to herbjones for this one.

beerguy101, Today at 05:09 AM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle pours dark brown with a white head. Has a brown sugar aroma to it with some malt undertones. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a lot of tiny bubbles for carbonation. I really like the feel of this beer. Taste is very complex. There is candi sugar, dark fruit, some sweet malt, and a small amount of hop spice. Alcohol is hidden very well. The blend of malt, hops, mouthfeel, and finish makes this a supreme beer. Truly world class.

fiver29, Today at 08:28 PM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle obtained in a trade with craytonic. Thanks man!

Also, my 35th review.

12 oz. bottle poured into Caracole tulip.

A: Pours a beautiful opaque-mahogany with a 3 finger mocha head that will not die; creamy head stays throughout the entire beer. I've never seen anything like this.

S: Fruit; this doesn't smell like beer at all. Fresh elderberry jam, black mission figs and a hint of heat. Quite possibly the most "delicious" smelling beer I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in front of.

T: Holy hell; it's all true. I think the closest thing I've ever had to this is St. Bernardus Abt. 12 in terms of flavor; sweet, fairly boozy, and heavy on the dark fruits. Caramel, brown sugar - this is just awesome.

M: Feels literally like silk on the tongue, with nice carbonation and a medium-thick viscosity.

D: I don't feel as if I'd be a proper BA if I was to give this a 5 for drinkability. Is it incredible? Yes, but it's also 10.2%, which of course means that it's quite sweet. Add to that the fact that drinking more than one of these is usually not an option for us state-siders, and it becomes clear that this is a rare treat more than anything else. Honestly, I wouldn't want it to be anything else.

Worth the hype; this will not be my last encounter with this beer. I will sleep well this evening.

Edit: Forgot to mention; gave my girlfriend the first sip. Her reaction?

"It's ok."

sk8man121, Today at 12:43 AM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

A: 1 3/4 fingers of head; very dark brown.

S: Faint smell; slight pear/fig fruitiness and alcohol.

T: Awesome! Subtle yet full, hard to describe the unique taste. Chocolate w/fig flavors and a char/dry taste.

M/D: smooth and perfect, lives up to the hype.

jt31914, Today at 03:55 AM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

This is third time that I have had a Westy 12 and finally decided to review it.

Pulled one of the older vintages I have with best by date of March 2010 on the label. Although I have had this three times, I stil get a very special feeling when opening one.

Very interesting to read the reviews about the appearance of this beer. For the one I poured Sat night, it poured a chestnut brown with very little head being generated. These have been stored with great care; the other ones that I have sampled of fresher vintage produced a much greater head and lacing than this 3 year old sample.

S & T - What else can you add that has not already been said. I stil think this has a magnificent flavor profile. The three years have mellowed it some and made it a bit sweeter than I remember fresher vintages. Figs, prune, raison, and a delightfully sugary candy taste are all present. Truly an epic experience for your taste buds.

M - Maybe not as creamy as I remember the fresher versions. A little thinner than I remember but still delightful.

D - Here is where I think the 3 years has done well. No hints of booziness at all. Smooth as silk. Wonderul.

Stil a masterpiece. I have about 6 bottles of the gold still remaining. Another one won't come out until X-mas eve but I am looking forward to a couple of blondes (who isn't) this summer.

Beerisheaven, Today at 11:40 PM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a darker brown. Almost like brown sugar with lots of frothy head. Very very pretty. Smells yeasty and flowery. Lots of light and dark fruity flavours. Tastes very smooth and clean. Amazing on the palette. Especially as it warms up. A slight sharpness and hint of the alcohol content but very drinkable

Urbancaver, Today at 02:41 AM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

An unmarked, unlabeled 12 oz bottle purchased from the Bier Tempel in Brussels. I saved this, my first taste of the Westvleteren 12, for the last night of my first trip to Belgium, August 2007. I refused to brush my teeth before bed that night...

It glows a gorgeous burgundy when held up to the ceiling but is quite dark away from the lights. The beer is, at normal angle, only a shade or two deeper than scarlet or the aforementioned burgundy; such a lovely colour. A dusty white coloured head perches atop, appearing thin but is, in actuality, quite thick and sturdy along the perimeter.

The aroma is a soft mix of nuts, caramel and bready malts. The yeast seems to accentuate something akin to pralines or walnuts. I finally would place creme brulee in the smell as well. Almonds maybe, raisins for sure. Became increasingly fruity. Even though I didn't find the aroma to live up to other aspects of the beer, no arguments here, this is one beautiful yeast! In this beer's case, the smell mimics the taste (not vice versa), although it hardly hints at how great it is...

A very neat water profile. The yeast and mineral character of the water seem to play with one another. There is little carbonation with a sandy texture. The flavours don't seem to last too long on the tongue, they are very gentle.

I was completely and utterly taken away with the flavour - it is loaded and lovely. Notes of dates, prunes, plums, and increasingly, a strong taste of grapes. Slightly chocolaty alongside flavour of nuts and raisin. My first impression of the Westvleteren 8 was 'chocolate covered raisins' which is the same idea here.

Sampling the trio all in one night I wasn't sure, initially, which one I like best. But I simply kept upping the marks in the 12, growing to like it more and more and more and more. I wish I was a monk...

Is this damn good? Yes. Great? Yea. Amazing? Well... yea.
This is unique, as all Trappists are. Is it better? Not necessarily. Each Trappists is unique and to be appreciated in its own right. Is this deserving of the title of worlds best? Well... I overheard a server here in Belgium put it best: "whatever beer you like, then that is a good beer"...

biegaman, Today at 04:20 AM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Reviewed in a side-by-side with St. Bernardus 12.

There's one inch of dense, light tan head in the chalice. A toffee-brown pour fills out a deep red-brown beer (very nice, dark red). The nose is bursting with ripe fruit, deep toffee caramel, tons of malt, some tart apples. Rich caramel and ripe fruit (plums?) up front. Middle is buttery, rich, THICK caramel; brown sugar and milk at temperature. Delicious. Alcohol evident in the bready, yeasty finish. Cookie spice. This is delicious, fruity, buttery, toffee goodness. Definitely the best quad I've had: not too sweet, alcohol well-balanced. Exceptional.

kbub6f, Today at 06:56 PM

Vintage 1997

Poured clear mahogany until the near bottom of bottle arrived, which added murky sediment and a few flakes.
Off-white head was moderate, not large, and receded within two minutes to edging only.
No lacework except for a few erratic dots.
Aromatics lead off with boozy figs, raisins, caramel, chocolate covered apple, and a hint of mandarin underneath.
Rum-soaked dark fruits with a tootsie roll center.
Nose rounds out very warming with vineous notes and vanilla.
On the larger side of medium bodied, slightly syrupy but quite creamy, and a bit sticky. Carbonation on the low side.
Pallet is alcohol-laden with chocolate, caramel, toffee, raisins, and ripe fruits.
Bitterness is perfectly balanced, keeping the residuals in check.
Finishes with a lingering warmth on the throat, with rummy caramel notes and vanilla.
Only the slightest wet paper note is a detraction, and a decent trade-off for some added vineousity.
Kick ass after nine years.

brewandbbq, Today at 01:14 AM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Consumed in a duel, side by side, against St. Bernardus 12.
What an epic battle it was!
Poured into identical goblets they looked virtually identical and both beautiful... rich tan head, almost completely opaque against the light; deep ruby color where not opaque.
Smells were very, very similar. The St. Bernardus had a brighter smell while this had a deeper one. Same deal with the flavor profile... bright versus deep. An alcohol soaked dark fruit medley going on with plenty of caramelized sweetness. There was also a pepperyness in the finish of the mouthfeel and flavor... perhaps some vanilla, chocolate and coffee singing backup.
Easy to see why this gets the credit that it does. If I *had* to pick which one I enjoyed more overall it would be Trappist Westvleteren 12. A smooth operator with a great deal of depth. The St. Bernardus had a livelyness and a brightness that this did not, which I could see making it more appealing from time to time, but good ol' Westy 12 won out in the end.
When I get the money, I'm going to Belgium for some Belgian brew.

ommegangpbr, Today at 10:07 AM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Brought 2 bottles back from Belgium. Shared with some friends in my office at work. DON'T TELL LEGAL!

A- Reminds us of autumn in Belgium, even tough most people in the room have never been. Nutty and carmel color. With tones of amber and small bubbles on the frothy, lacy top. Looks like a pancake ready to be flipped.

Smell = Sweet caramel apple, with a hint of bitter.

Taste = Strong and yet sublime. You taste but there is no bitter after taste. Its just perfect tasting. Little bit of sweet and sour, apple under tones.

Mouth & Drink = Just smooth. Taste a bit of froth. It warms you up, the first sip you feel it in your stomach.

The drink equivalent of Oh NOM NOM NOM!

Great way to spend a lunch break. I don't think this is the best beer I've ever had, but I am very appreciative of the rare opportunity to try it. Here's to the last sip.

foxbat2500, Today at 09:26 PM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this last night after having it sit in the cellar for quite a while now. Received it in a trade a few months ago and the best after date (to which I have been informed was three after it was bottled) had passed over a year ago, so I'm thinking this bottle was an '05.

Poured into a chalice and away we go.

Appearance: Dark orange-amber with huge amounts of sediment and floating yeasties and goodness. Nice head and lacing, but the yeastiness was the biggest surprise.

Smell: Holy cow, this is where the beer really picks up. Big notes on just so many different levels, the complexity is fantastic. Pour was still a little on the cool side, but as it warmed it smelled as fantastic as any beer I've ever smelled. Grapefruit, fig, anise, molasses, slight leather, caramel, and grape-raisin. Booze is a little present as well, but nothing too off-putting. Just excellent and complex, everything I had hoped for and more.

Taste: Wow, just keeps on coming. Fantastic dark fruits and licorice, with a slightly peppery alcohol that only really adds another dimension to the beer, in no way boozy. I can see where this beer probably was a bit sweeter a few years back, but it mellows beautifully. Part of the reason this beer is so loved I would have to feel is you can just tell it ages like a charm. Three tiers of taste, starting fruity, going more peppery, and finishing with a malty creaminess that is just awesome. Bravo.

Mouthfeel: Very nice, not too bitter in any way, and alcohol is more of a flavor than a harshness. Carbonation is still great after all these years too, and just works well.

Drinkability: I kept pulling it back and was saddened when it was gone. I have to say, when I had Bernardus 12 on tap a few times on tap, I really loved it, and this beer was everything it was and just a hint more. I don't know if I had them both aged to the same point what they would look like in comparison, but both are worthy and amazing beers. Worth its' post in the pantheon of great beers, this is for certain, and like everyone always says, I just wish I could grab this more regularly for a special occasion.

nomomentwasted, Today at 06:55 PM

DannyBoyDD, Today at 01:20 AM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Davey shared this bottle with me when we drank my Westy 8. Poured into goblet a still, murky, yeasty, brown with no head. Smelled of dark fruit, brandy. Taste of dark fruit as well, raisin, cherry, fig, a little warm, in the finish. This was pretty fizzy in the mouth which surprised me as it didn't look very carbonated when I poured it. Amazing beer and I'm glad I was able to sample this.

mugglesandhops, Today at 07:24 PM

cultclassic89, Today at 05:27 AM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a 4-ounce tasting glass

A: Light brown/ amber color with thick very light brown/ almost white foamy top.

S: Strong floral aromas with citrus and lemon; passionfruit, tropical fruit.

T: A complex flavor that starts with milk chocolate, then switches to a malty belgian white flavor with citrus, bitterness and a lemony sour finish. There is also a smokey flavor too. Finally, there is a peppery spice that permeates the entire taste.

M: Heavy-bodied, medium carbonation, medium-high acidity, not that bitter. Very smooth.

O: "The flavor of a quad without the cloying"; "complex flavor"; "fruity like a Belgian white, but the feel of a triple or a quad", there is a lot going on with this beer. The flavor starts with a creamy chocolate/ coffee and ends with a sour lemon bite. It was excellent. I enjoyed it tremendously.

SlothB77, Today at 02:36 PM

[Suggested Glassware: Trappist Glass]

The pour was a medium/dark murky brown with a small (less than 1 finger) light brown fizzy head that reduced down to a thin film and small collar, which lasted throughout and had excellent sheeting of lacing.

The aroma was of a sweet dark bread malt and a bold doughy Belgian yeast with notes of toffee, chocolate, coffee, banana, dark fruit (plums, figs and dates) and a light alcohol presence.

The taste was a smooth malty sweet with just a touch of toffee and chocolate along with a nice mild roastiness early on, and then progressed with a somewhat intense yeast presence building up to a bold fruitiness and a mild alcohol ending. The flavor lasted an average duration following the swallow, and had a yeasty fruity alcohol taste that was left behind to settle in on the taste buds and lingered for a while longer.

Mouthfeel was just under medium in body with a texture that was smooth and creamy yet dry and slightly oily along with a carbonation that was tad prickly.

Overall this is a beer that comes with quite a hype, now I can say it most definitely lives up to it. It has a superb balance of flavors that I have yet to experience in any other beer. Yes, by far this is the best beer I have ever tasted. Thank God I was able to get my hands on some, for the monastery has said it will not be available again here in the US for at least 25 years (2037)...

KajII, Today at 05:26 PM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

BIG thanks to rhodeska for these. newk340 and i both cracked ours last night. new belgium goblets.
a-dark brown. 2.5 fingers of fluffy off-white foam that stays the whole time and leaves absurdly nice lacing.
s-sweet + spicy. herbal and slightly medicinal. brown sugar and honey.
t-sweet delicate maltiness, caramel, honey, a slight medicinal taste, mild spiciness. ginger? these monks definitely know what they're doing.
m-friggin velvet. exquisite. gentle, gentle tingle massages your taste buds.
d-i'm an atheist, but this was a religious experience. is it THE best beer on earth? maybe. is it the best Quad on earth? i certainly think so. once you climb everest, what's next?

hu5om, Today at 08:39 PM
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

2005 vintage. This poured a hazy mahogany with moderate light tan head. It smelled like strong sweet brown sugar and caramel and creamy yeast, with some banana nut bread and milk chocolate and confectioners sugar and raisin. It tasted like toffee and brown sugar and raisin and banana nut bread, with creamy yeast and cocoa powder and chalky confectioners sugar. It was oily with smooth carbonation, and had a bittersweet aftertaste. Overall this was amazingly sweet (malty) and complex. It really is one of the best Belgian ales ever. It had a delicious scent and taste, with great body. The alcohol was well hidden, so it was easy to drink, but it definitely needs to be sipped to be fully savored. I'm curious how this tastes fresh, but I don't know when I'll ever find out. Regardless, this beer meets the hype. Fantastic.

Pencible, Today at 10:20 PM
4.81/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

2010 vintage

A: Pours a murky brown with three fingers of beige head. The head fades into a thin layer with good lacing.

S: Loads of dark fruits up front--figs, plums, dates. Then comes a strong Belgian spicy yeast aroma. Quite nice.

T: Similar to the aroma, the flavor is full of dark fruits. Figs and plums again. Then comes a flavor of dark, hearty bread with a slight bitterness. The finish has a slight alcohol warmth.

M: Medium body and carbonation that is very crisp without any lingering sweetness or bitterness. Very highly attenuated and very nice.

D: Goes down very easily with the crispness. Overall, a fantastic beer and definitely the gold standard for quads.

n2185, Today at 02:55 AM

2008 bottle

A - Pours a murky red/brown with lots of head and lots of sediment. A bit of lacing.

S - Alcohol, dark fruit, vanilla, cloves, apricot, and brown sugar.

T - So much going on with this one. Plums and raisins are at the forefront with hints of brown sugar, cloves, roasty malts, and a bit of cloves and spices. Not a hint of the 10.2% ABV.

M - So smooth with lots of carbonation and no burn. Incredibly drinkable.

This certainly lives up to the hype. Just sweet enough with the perfect balance of flavors and not a hint of alcohol after the smell. Glad to finally try this and would happily welcome another.

RoninTK3, Today at 04:12 AM
4.81/5  rDev +4.3%

11.2oz bottle dated 01.08.15. Kudos to my friend Ken for grabbing us a 6 pack to share. I also purchased a St. Bernardus Abt 12 and a Rochefort 10 for comparison purposes. From my notes, this one prevails as the best of the three:

Pours dark brown with a pillowy, beige head that fades to a foam atop the ale. Aromas are pleasant and come through more as the ale warms: musty, boozy, earthy, sweet, caramel, honey, fruity as it warms w plum & cherry. Tastes are boozy, rich, sweet, malty, fruity with plum, raisin, currant, rum, bready yeast, mossy, musty, earthy - great complexity! Mouth-feel is full bodied with lots of carbonation, very smooth. Overall, it lives up to its expectations. I had my doubts, but it came through...maybe even better than expected.

barnzy78, Today at 10:48 PM