Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,891
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

This is third time that I have had a Westy 12 and finally decided to review it.

Pulled one of the older vintages I have with best by date of March 2010 on the label. Although I have had this three times, I stil get a very special feeling when opening one.

Very interesting to read the reviews about the appearance of this beer. For the one I poured Sat night, it poured a chestnut brown with very little head being generated. These have been stored with great care; the other ones that I have sampled of fresher vintage produced a much greater head and lacing than this 3 year old sample.

S & T - What else can you add that has not already been said. I stil think this has a magnificent flavor profile. The three years have mellowed it some and made it a bit sweeter than I remember fresher vintages. Figs, prune, raison, and a delightfully sugary candy taste are all present. Truly an epic experience for your taste buds.

M - Maybe not as creamy as I remember the fresher versions. A little thinner than I remember but still delightful.

D - Here is where I think the 3 years has done well. No hints of booziness at all. Smooth as silk. Wonderul.

Stil a masterpiece. I have about 6 bottles of the gold still remaining. Another one won't come out until X-mas eve but I am looking forward to a couple of blondes (who isn't) this summer.

Beerisheaven, May 24, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a darker brown. Almost like brown sugar with lots of frothy head. Very very pretty. Smells yeasty and flowery. Lots of light and dark fruity flavours. Tastes very smooth and clean. Amazing on the palette. Especially as it warms up. A slight sharpness and hint of the alcohol content but very drinkable

Urbancaver, Feb 06, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

An unmarked, unlabeled 12 oz bottle purchased from the Bier Tempel in Brussels. I saved this, my first taste of the Westvleteren 12, for the last night of my first trip to Belgium, August 2007. I refused to brush my teeth before bed that night...

It glows a gorgeous burgundy when held up to the ceiling but is quite dark away from the lights. The beer is, at normal angle, only a shade or two deeper than scarlet or the aforementioned burgundy; such a lovely colour. A dusty white coloured head perches atop, appearing thin but is, in actuality, quite thick and sturdy along the perimeter.

The aroma is a soft mix of nuts, caramel and bready malts. The yeast seems to accentuate something akin to pralines or walnuts. I finally would place creme brulee in the smell as well. Almonds maybe, raisins for sure. Became increasingly fruity. Even though I didn't find the aroma to live up to other aspects of the beer, no arguments here, this is one beautiful yeast! In this beer's case, the smell mimics the taste (not vice versa), although it hardly hints at how great it is...

A very neat water profile. The yeast and mineral character of the water seem to play with one another. There is little carbonation with a sandy texture. The flavours don't seem to last too long on the tongue, they are very gentle.

I was completely and utterly taken away with the flavour - it is loaded and lovely. Notes of dates, prunes, plums, and increasingly, a strong taste of grapes. Slightly chocolaty alongside flavour of nuts and raisin. My first impression of the Westvleteren 8 was 'chocolate covered raisins' which is the same idea here.

Sampling the trio all in one night I wasn't sure, initially, which one I like best. But I simply kept upping the marks in the 12, growing to like it more and more and more and more. I wish I was a monk...

Is this damn good? Yes. Great? Yea. Amazing? Well... yea.
This is unique, as all Trappists are. Is it better? Not necessarily. Each Trappists is unique and to be appreciated in its own right. Is this deserving of the title of worlds best? Well... I overheard a server here in Belgium put it best: "whatever beer you like, then that is a good beer"...

biegaman, Jun 02, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Reviewed in a side-by-side with St. Bernardus 12.

There's one inch of dense, light tan head in the chalice. A toffee-brown pour fills out a deep red-brown beer (very nice, dark red). The nose is bursting with ripe fruit, deep toffee caramel, tons of malt, some tart apples. Rich caramel and ripe fruit (plums?) up front. Middle is buttery, rich, THICK caramel; brown sugar and milk at temperature. Delicious. Alcohol evident in the bready, yeasty finish. Cookie spice. This is delicious, fruity, buttery, toffee goodness. Definitely the best quad I've had: not too sweet, alcohol well-balanced. Exceptional.

kbub6f, Aug 31, 2005

Vintage 1997

Poured clear mahogany until the near bottom of bottle arrived, which added murky sediment and a few flakes.
Off-white head was moderate, not large, and receded within two minutes to edging only.
No lacework except for a few erratic dots.
Aromatics lead off with boozy figs, raisins, caramel, chocolate covered apple, and a hint of mandarin underneath.
Rum-soaked dark fruits with a tootsie roll center.
Nose rounds out very warming with vineous notes and vanilla.
On the larger side of medium bodied, slightly syrupy but quite creamy, and a bit sticky. Carbonation on the low side.
Pallet is alcohol-laden with chocolate, caramel, toffee, raisins, and ripe fruits.
Bitterness is perfectly balanced, keeping the residuals in check.
Finishes with a lingering warmth on the throat, with rummy caramel notes and vanilla.
Only the slightest wet paper note is a detraction, and a decent trade-off for some added vineousity.
Kick ass after nine years.

brewandbbq, Aug 02, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Consumed in a duel, side by side, against St. Bernardus 12.
What an epic battle it was!
Poured into identical goblets they looked virtually identical and both beautiful... rich tan head, almost completely opaque against the light; deep ruby color where not opaque.
Smells were very, very similar. The St. Bernardus had a brighter smell while this had a deeper one. Same deal with the flavor profile... bright versus deep. An alcohol soaked dark fruit medley going on with plenty of caramelized sweetness. There was also a pepperyness in the finish of the mouthfeel and flavor... perhaps some vanilla, chocolate and coffee singing backup.
Easy to see why this gets the credit that it does. If I *had* to pick which one I enjoyed more overall it would be Trappist Westvleteren 12. A smooth operator with a great deal of depth. The St. Bernardus had a livelyness and a brightness that this did not, which I could see making it more appealing from time to time, but good ol' Westy 12 won out in the end.
When I get the money, I'm going to Belgium for some Belgian brew.

ommegangpbr, Sep 08, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Brought 2 bottles back from Belgium. Shared with some friends in my office at work. DON'T TELL LEGAL!

A- Reminds us of autumn in Belgium, even tough most people in the room have never been. Nutty and carmel color. With tones of amber and small bubbles on the frothy, lacy top. Looks like a pancake ready to be flipped.

Smell = Sweet caramel apple, with a hint of bitter.

Taste = Strong and yet sublime. You taste but there is no bitter after taste. Its just perfect tasting. Little bit of sweet and sour, apple under tones.

Mouth & Drink = Just smooth. Taste a bit of froth. It warms you up, the first sip you feel it in your stomach.

The drink equivalent of Oh NOM NOM NOM!

Great way to spend a lunch break. I don't think this is the best beer I've ever had, but I am very appreciative of the rare opportunity to try it. Here's to the last sip.

foxbat2500, Nov 24, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this last night after having it sit in the cellar for quite a while now. Received it in a trade a few months ago and the best after date (to which I have been informed was three after it was bottled) had passed over a year ago, so I'm thinking this bottle was an '05.

Poured into a chalice and away we go.

Appearance: Dark orange-amber with huge amounts of sediment and floating yeasties and goodness. Nice head and lacing, but the yeastiness was the biggest surprise.

Smell: Holy cow, this is where the beer really picks up. Big notes on just so many different levels, the complexity is fantastic. Pour was still a little on the cool side, but as it warmed it smelled as fantastic as any beer I've ever smelled. Grapefruit, fig, anise, molasses, slight leather, caramel, and grape-raisin. Booze is a little present as well, but nothing too off-putting. Just excellent and complex, everything I had hoped for and more.

Taste: Wow, just keeps on coming. Fantastic dark fruits and licorice, with a slightly peppery alcohol that only really adds another dimension to the beer, in no way boozy. I can see where this beer probably was a bit sweeter a few years back, but it mellows beautifully. Part of the reason this beer is so loved I would have to feel is you can just tell it ages like a charm. Three tiers of taste, starting fruity, going more peppery, and finishing with a malty creaminess that is just awesome. Bravo.

Mouthfeel: Very nice, not too bitter in any way, and alcohol is more of a flavor than a harshness. Carbonation is still great after all these years too, and just works well.

Drinkability: I kept pulling it back and was saddened when it was gone. I have to say, when I had Bernardus 12 on tap a few times on tap, I really loved it, and this beer was everything it was and just a hint more. I don't know if I had them both aged to the same point what they would look like in comparison, but both are worthy and amazing beers. Worth its' post in the pantheon of great beers, this is for certain, and like everyone always says, I just wish I could grab this more regularly for a special occasion.

nomomentwasted, Nov 21, 2009

DannyBoyDD, Sep 05, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Davey shared this bottle with me when we drank my Westy 8. Poured into goblet a still, murky, yeasty, brown with no head. Smelled of dark fruit, brandy. Taste of dark fruit as well, raisin, cherry, fig, a little warm, in the finish. This was pretty fizzy in the mouth which surprised me as it didn't look very carbonated when I poured it. Amazing beer and I'm glad I was able to sample this.

mugglesandhops, Jul 07, 2009

cultclassic89, Aug 11, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a 4-ounce tasting glass

A: Light brown/ amber color with thick very light brown/ almost white foamy top.

S: Strong floral aromas with citrus and lemon; passionfruit, tropical fruit.

T: A complex flavor that starts with milk chocolate, then switches to a malty belgian white flavor with citrus, bitterness and a lemony sour finish. There is also a smokey flavor too. Finally, there is a peppery spice that permeates the entire taste.

M: Heavy-bodied, medium carbonation, medium-high acidity, not that bitter. Very smooth.

O: "The flavor of a quad without the cloying"; "complex flavor"; "fruity like a Belgian white, but the feel of a triple or a quad", there is a lot going on with this beer. The flavor starts with a creamy chocolate/ coffee and ends with a sour lemon bite. It was excellent. I enjoyed it tremendously.

SlothB77, Jan 27, 2013

[Suggested Glassware: Trappist Glass]

The pour was a medium/dark murky brown with a small (less than 1 finger) light brown fizzy head that reduced down to a thin film and small collar, which lasted throughout and had excellent sheeting of lacing.

The aroma was of a sweet dark bread malt and a bold doughy Belgian yeast with notes of toffee, chocolate, coffee, banana, dark fruit (plums, figs and dates) and a light alcohol presence.

The taste was a smooth malty sweet with just a touch of toffee and chocolate along with a nice mild roastiness early on, and then progressed with a somewhat intense yeast presence building up to a bold fruitiness and a mild alcohol ending. The flavor lasted an average duration following the swallow, and had a yeasty fruity alcohol taste that was left behind to settle in on the taste buds and lingered for a while longer.

Mouthfeel was just under medium in body with a texture that was smooth and creamy yet dry and slightly oily along with a carbonation that was tad prickly.

Overall this is a beer that comes with quite a hype, now I can say it most definitely lives up to it. It has a superb balance of flavors that I have yet to experience in any other beer. Yes, by far this is the best beer I have ever tasted. Thank God I was able to get my hands on some, for the monastery has said it will not be available again here in the US for at least 25 years (2037)...

KajII, Feb 19, 2013
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

BIG thanks to rhodeska for these. newk340 and i both cracked ours last night. new belgium goblets.
a-dark brown. 2.5 fingers of fluffy off-white foam that stays the whole time and leaves absurdly nice lacing.
s-sweet + spicy. herbal and slightly medicinal. brown sugar and honey.
t-sweet delicate maltiness, caramel, honey, a slight medicinal taste, mild spiciness. ginger? these monks definitely know what they're doing.
m-friggin velvet. exquisite. gentle, gentle tingle massages your taste buds.
d-i'm an atheist, but this was a religious experience. is it THE best beer on earth? maybe. is it the best Quad on earth? i certainly think so. once you climb everest, what's next?

hu5om, Jul 24, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

2005 vintage. This poured a hazy mahogany with moderate light tan head. It smelled like strong sweet brown sugar and caramel and creamy yeast, with some banana nut bread and milk chocolate and confectioners sugar and raisin. It tasted like toffee and brown sugar and raisin and banana nut bread, with creamy yeast and cocoa powder and chalky confectioners sugar. It was oily with smooth carbonation, and had a bittersweet aftertaste. Overall this was amazingly sweet (malty) and complex. It really is one of the best Belgian ales ever. It had a delicious scent and taste, with great body. The alcohol was well hidden, so it was easy to drink, but it definitely needs to be sipped to be fully savored. I'm curious how this tastes fresh, but I don't know when I'll ever find out. Regardless, this beer meets the hype. Fantastic.

Pencible, Dec 31, 2009
4.81/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

2010 vintage

A: Pours a murky brown with three fingers of beige head. The head fades into a thin layer with good lacing.

S: Loads of dark fruits up front--figs, plums, dates. Then comes a strong Belgian spicy yeast aroma. Quite nice.

T: Similar to the aroma, the flavor is full of dark fruits. Figs and plums again. Then comes a flavor of dark, hearty bread with a slight bitterness. The finish has a slight alcohol warmth.

M: Medium body and carbonation that is very crisp without any lingering sweetness or bitterness. Very highly attenuated and very nice.

D: Goes down very easily with the crispness. Overall, a fantastic beer and definitely the gold standard for quads.

n2185, Mar 16, 2011

2008 bottle

A - Pours a murky red/brown with lots of head and lots of sediment. A bit of lacing.

S - Alcohol, dark fruit, vanilla, cloves, apricot, and brown sugar.

T - So much going on with this one. Plums and raisins are at the forefront with hints of brown sugar, cloves, roasty malts, and a bit of cloves and spices. Not a hint of the 10.2% ABV.

M - So smooth with lots of carbonation and no burn. Incredibly drinkable.

This certainly lives up to the hype. Just sweet enough with the perfect balance of flavors and not a hint of alcohol after the smell. Glad to finally try this and would happily welcome another.

RoninTK3, Apr 24, 2013
4.81/5  rDev +4.3%

11.2oz bottle dated 01.08.15. Kudos to my friend Ken for grabbing us a 6 pack to share. I also purchased a St. Bernardus Abt 12 and a Rochefort 10 for comparison purposes. From my notes, this one prevails as the best of the three:

Pours dark brown with a pillowy, beige head that fades to a foam atop the ale. Aromas are pleasant and come through more as the ale warms: musty, boozy, earthy, sweet, caramel, honey, fruity as it warms w plum & cherry. Tastes are boozy, rich, sweet, malty, fruity with plum, raisin, currant, rum, bready yeast, mossy, musty, earthy - great complexity! Mouth-feel is full bodied with lots of carbonation, very smooth. Overall, it lives up to its expectations. I had my doubts, but it came through...maybe even better than expected.

barnzy78, Dec 26, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Pours a very dark brown with some amber highlights in the glass. Fairly thick and didnt let a lot of light through. A nice puffy 1-1/2 finger head.

S - Smells of dark fruits and berries. Grapes, raisins, cherries, vinous red wine and some tobacco. Also a strong caramel malt backbone to balance.

T - Very complex. Up front there's nice bready malt with toffee and rich dark fruits. Then comes some tart green apples and a bit of spice from the yeast. Finishes a bit warming that brings a nice carmel/toffee sweetness and slight tartness that lasts and lasts.

M - Very smooth with good carbonation. The beer just seems to go down.

O - This lived up to the hype for me and was worth the price and hassle to get. I'm very glad I finally got to try this beer. Is it the best beer in the world? It wouldn't be number 1 on my list but it's definitely a world class beer worthy of a high ranking.

SkiBum22, May 17, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

Done in a vertical X-mas Day tasting as a special treat from my beerbud! Thanks to the BlitheringIdiot for the Westy 6,8, and 12 that we shared for a Christmas day celebration!

Deep rootbeery brown, with a ton of teensy little khaki bubbled carbination. Beautiful swirling going on up top, nice! You can see a lot of carbination rising up past the yeasty chunks. Scents of dark fruits, alcohol, sherry, buttery sugar and kraft's caramel cubes. Tastes of coconut macaroon, cherries and dark fruits. The Blithering one said that he tastes vanilla ice cream, yep. Much sweeter than the others, yet not cloying, just caramelly and warm sherry. Very good mouthfeel. The carbination rolls all over your mouth, froths up just a bit. Smooth and flowing. Wonderful.

Each of the Westys we had became progressively better to me, and this is definately my favorite over the 6 and 8. This one is damn nice.

shapudding, Jan 02, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

First, lets admit it. How can you be absolutely honest when you have the chance to drink this beer? Only in a blindtasting session... This was not the case!

Poured ina Delirium Tremens sniffer, This gem pours mahogany brown with reddish tone, hazy. It forms a nice white to off-white head, 1cm thick. Unfortunately disappearing to quickly. Is this one's to cold?

Nose: Rich malt, medium roast. very faint smoke wood. Caramel. Fig. Alcohol nose is present and fruity but not dominative event though this one is 10.2% ABV.

Mouth: Carbonation is medium-low. Taste... very complex. Extremely complex and evolves as its temperature changes. So as the nose. Bitter chocolate. Faint cherry flavours comes up after a few sip that's reminds me of Flemish red beer. Bitterness is present but really nicelly balanced. Alcohol note is fruity and delightful. It blends all the flavours together and brings warmth. It carries this beer very well. In the finish, sweet roasted sugar cane or brown sugar even and hint of oatmeal flavour.

Conclusion: Wow, truly one of its kind. Deserves an A+ easily. Perfectly balanced beer. Outstanding.

blaje, Aug 29, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

Acquired at some small, excellent store I don't remember the name of in Brussels in April 2009. Decided to crack open the bottle with my wife on our third anniversary. Poured into the Kasteel chalices we used for our wedding toast.
Pours a pretty reddish-garnet color, topped by a big, thick, creamy tan head that holds its shape for a good long while. Aroma of sweet malt, brown and candi sugars, and lots of dark fruit (fig and plum). Palate is smooth, strong, sweet, and complex. Sweet dark fruit and dark brown sugar up front mellow into a malty, more balanced profile in the back of the mouth. A nice, nutty character (toasted hazelnut?) comes through on the swallow, adding depth to the sweetness that's akin to dark fruit dipped in honey.
Body is silky smooth, well-carbonated but not bubbly, full and creamy but not overly thick. A warming dose of booze comes through on the swallow, accentuating the complexity of the beer. On the whole, this is just a masterpiece. I wish it were easier to obtain, but I understand and appreciate why it is not.

ElGordo, Oct 28, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

I have been looking forward to this one for a while and split a couple with some great friends and family. Poured into a Chimay Goblet

A: Murky brown like a dark apple cider. Lots of sediment in the glass when viewed in the light. The head was only about a quarter inch thick and did not retain very well but a nice layer of white foam remains on top of the beer throughout.

S: This smelled fantastic. Rich toffee and caramel were pretty dominant. It also smelled a bit like a caramel covered green apple. The green apple esters were very pleasant. There was a mild amount of booziness and a great gram cracker note.

T: The taste was very similar to the smell. What really impressed me was the complexity of this beer. My favorite part was definitely the gram cracker. Also a nice mild grape and green apple note balance out the sweetness from the candied sugar.

M: Very impressed by the creaminess os this beer. I was very pleased that it was not cloying sweet.

D: Definitely worth the hype behind it. I dont know if I could drink this everyday, but it is worth it

mikey711, Nov 30, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

BA review #500 and brewery review #200. Thanks to BrianTheBrewer for this one (and thanks to Jeffo for trading me another one to cellar).

Poured in to Duvel tulip.
Bottle date on the cap was 3/12/11.

A - Poured a very murky dark brown colour with a small amount of khaki coloured head that disappeared quickly and left good lacing behind on the glass.

S - A very interesting nose. Lots of fruit - raisins, figs, pear and apple come through. Sweet caramel, brown sugar and a slight sticky candy scent round out the nose.

T - Similar to the nose. Apple, pear, plum, raisin and fig contribute a spectrum of fruit flavours to this beer. They are complimented by a sweetness with hints of dark caramel and brown sugar. The alcohol is slightly noticeable as well but is generally well hidden. The sweetness in this beer is perfect, which is something that I don't get very often. It is just enough to be noticeable yet not enough to dominate the palate, which makes this beer all the more complex. The apple flavour is really noticeable at times but without dominating either. Incredibly delicious and complex.

M - Medium body. Smooth and somewhat chewy. Light carbonation.

O - Absolutely lived up the they hype for me. Belgian ales are typically not one of my preferred styles and this is the first one I have had that I would drink every day if it was available. Truly remarkable.

TheSevenDuffs, Sep 02, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

Juicy plums are prominent in the nose, along with malty, bready undertones. It's surprising how crisp and prominent the fruit notes are. The taste is actually a solid reflection of the smell. Lively carbonation tickles the mouth while the dark fruit flavors, with a touch of blackberry, intermingle over a gentle bready background. The nose is beautiful yet somewhat understated, while the taste is bold and lively. It combines for one of the best beers I've ever had.

Cap numbers are 15.03.17.

Mineo, Apr 18, 2014