Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,130
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.96/5  rDev +7.8%

4.33/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -12.6%

4.06/5  rDev -11.7%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into mini pint glass
(drank 2/23/15)

L: murky brown-orange ... relatively light with lots of amber/orange in it; huge tan foam head

S: dusty raisins ... mustiness is undeniable, but so are the dark fruits behind it

T: super sweet, fruity ... raisin bread ... same mustiness as nose but flavor is much sweeter than the aroma; slight caramel

F: perfect ... tons of carbonation mixed with good weight is super nice

O: didn't get to drink a full bottle, but the sample was interesting -- side-by-side with Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus 12, it clearly came in third but was still very good. the mustiness had a quality I tried and tried to place but couldn't other than to say musty.

4.29/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've saved this beer for a year and a half because I told myself I wouldn't drink I would save it for when I passed my CPA exam. Well I found it today that I passed all 4 parts, so I cracked this baby open.

It puts a light brown with almost no head. The to maintains a thin white lace throughout. It smells rich, like a dessert. Loaded with dates and figs behind a musky funk. The taste follows the nose exactly. Sticky fruit with a sugary back round. The only thing keeping this from being a perfect taste is the backend is a little too sweet. Mouthful is medium thickness with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, had the sweetness on the back end been toned down it would have been a great beer but I was a little disappointed.

4.29/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.38/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Even with the hype, this beer truly manages to be outstanding. Nothing I could say can describe the experience. It's just a ridiculously enjoyable brew that will treat your senses.

4.44/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Friend shared 12oz bottle with me today. I don't have a lot of experience with Belgian style beers, but I could tell why this one is so highly rated. Really delicious

4.82/5  rDev +4.8%

I have been wanting to try this for some time and finally acquired one as part of a bigger trade. I always thought that maybe this beer was mostly hype and that it wasn't worth the trouble when I could easily get a Rochefort 10 or similar. I was wrong. It is amazing. Dates and raisins and some complex yeast magic. Almost made me swoon it is so good. I ordered 6 from Belgium and happily paid the crazy shipping. Forever ISO more.

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

4.69/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally trying this. Looks amazing, deep garnet highlights, ruddy body. Pillowing khaki creamy head. Coats the glass. Smell is fantastic, raisins, plums a little leather maybe hint of tobacco. Taste is chewy caramel with dark fruits and a little lingering sweetness, a bit of a vinous character save for the carbonation. Delicious. Crisp carbonation on a more than medium body, feels wonderful on the palate. I could drink k this beer every day of my life, but I like it as a rare treat. Simply amazing.

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

Best beer I have ever had. It brought tears to my eyes. This is not like Pappy hype, this is real.

Look- Cute face, slim waist with big behind! Want to spend the rest of my life you.

Smell- Sexy stone fruits with lots of European characteristics.

Taste- No words can describe her taste. It is pure perfection and I want it in my mouth forever.

Feel- So smooth. Clean and refreshing. Will never let go of this feeling.

Overall- This is the beer my wife and I used for out wedding toast. So it will always hold a special place in my heart. Plus there is a long story behind the beer. Always and Forever.

3.87/5  rDev -15.9%

4.34/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

4.29/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%