Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,084
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.38/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Classic and legendary offering, a bit over-hyped given the mystique and scarcity but still a well deserved top notch brew.

Presentation: 33 cl brown custom Trappist capped bottle. Characteristic lack of label or marking other than the cap, which shows in black, silver and gold name, seal, faintly legible date, and 10,2% Alc. by Vol. Served in a snifter.

A - Deep hazy amber brown with a towering frothy head, good retention with nice surface memory and lacing.

S - Surprising nose, a tad subdued, funky, insinuation of sourness and caramel with some mustiness…

T - …which leads to a great shift in the palate, there is a rich fruity sense woven to the yeast, prunes, figs, dash of raspberries and apples going back to some raisins, caramel touch but not that sweet at all, hint of spices in the backbone… Slightly earthy with a tart port sense at points.

M - Medium full body with moderately tuned carbonation, nice flow with a creamy warmth as it closes.

O - Long and complex sipper. Quite a delight…

Notes: Sure, I would have it again, and again, and I did not pay tooo much for this bottle. But there is some undeniable hype riding here. Fruity and sweet character aside, this is on a similar league for me than, say, a Rochefort 10, which is readily available. Worth the try, and wishing I could ride up the monastery after having won the phone lottery to pick up a couple of legit cases. But that is another story...

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Reviewed blindly from Blind BIF 6. Poured into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Bottle opened to a barely audible hiss. Gentle pour into glass is yielding no head, and I can already smell the must. As I near the bottom of the bottle, I quickly stop a thick and heavy sediment from making its way into my glass. Color is a dark ruby brown, and I get nothing but a few bubbles from the nucleation point and minimal wispy lacing. This looks like a quad, and one with some age on it.

Smell: Must dominates the nose - no doubt this has some serious age on it. Underneath I get raisins and caramel.

Taste: Sweet with a nice blend of raisins and caramel, even more fruity as it warms. The alcohol has molded into the beer nicely and makes it impossible to tell how strong it is, but something tells me this is an ass-kicker. Hint of oaky/woody flavor in here, but I don't think it's enough to say this is wood aged - more just earthy. I do get a bit of alcohol numbing on the back end, particularly as the beer warms. I will say, the one thing scaring me here is I'm not getting that Belgian yeast punch to the palate that I'd expect from a quad/strong dark. Got me worried that I'm way off here.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy, but goes down smooth. The carb is surprisingly strong in the mouth given the still appearance of the beer.

Drinkability: High - I'm enjoying it immensely, but it's a sipper.

Overall: This is right up my alley. Love the style, love the age, love the beer. Would happily drink again. Fantastic beer.

Best by date of 4/18/10.

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to brbander for hooking it up!

Split a bottle into a Bruery tulip.

A: Light head that cascades down as the beer is poured. An inviting creamy brown color of the body sucks you in.

S: I'll say this word a lot, but the smell is full. It occupies the nose completely with dark, complex fruits. The smell is rich enough that it is almost filling. Some warm bready notes come through as well.

T: The liquid seems to expand as it hits the tongue and the taste follows full and hard. It's a delicious, complex taste that brings memories of an earthy, warm dark setting. Maybe it's just my imagination or the power of persuasion, and I'm not sure this makes sense but I feel like this beer taste like what I imagine a monestary in Belgium to look like. Figs and dark, sweet fruits are very prominent.

M: I mentioned the mouthfeel above but it demands a second mention. I feel that the mouthfeel really puts this beer over the top. It's a light carbonation that explodes and expands as it moves through my mouth. A unique and wonderful experience.

O: I must profess that I'm not a Belgian style lover. I'm not sure if I let the hype get to me or I feel like I need to like this beer because it was expensive, but I really enjoyed this. If I was able to have access to this regularly, it would be a staple in my fridge and I'd be a Belgian beer fan for sure. Worthy of the acclaim that it gets.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.75/5  rDev +3%

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer is by far one of the best I have ever had. It is so smooth you dont even notice the high alcohol content. I ordered this through the Belgian shop. I have also tried the Trappist Westvleteren 8 and it was also excellent!

I wish I had another, it was well worth the money.

4.13/5  rDev -10.4%

I've reviewed this beer several times but I feel inclined to give it a fresh start... 2012 vintage poured into that cheap ass Westy glass that came in the brick:

Swampy dark brown body produces a hell of a head... dense, stubborn pale khaki head that laces through and through with a decent amount of beading beneath it. Even after some time in the fridge is showcases a massive dolloped layer of carbonation that you don't really find anywhere else.

Sweet leather, caramel, overripe red fruit notes... some brown sugar aromas tie everything together. Smells much more mature than it actually is. A musty pale berry profile surfaces with a bit of warmth.

That uniquely Westvleteren tobacco/caramel/dark fruit flavor dominates the palate from start to finish. It's one of the few beers that exhibits those classic oxidization notes even when fresh... leather, sweet and dirty dark fruits. The alcohol is more or less undetectable... I think I actually prefer this one fresh.

Whoever says that this U.S. import version is inferior to its predecessor is high on drugs. It's the same beer, for better or worse... (well, probably worse, considering the price).