Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,022
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

Beervana bought at belmont station. Good looking out. Got 3 gftboxes. Aging some for awhile...special occasions...

Beer is g damn $$$$. Im a belgian fan and im so glad i waited to try this after trying alot of belgian beer. Great look to beer. Smell is pleasing. Taste is $. Beer is just a must try. Hands down worth every penny.

Just a great beer. I would put PtY ahead of this but its not far behind at all.

Pacific NW 12/12/12!

Westy 12!!!

Aged and had 1/6 from this 12/12 crop. Beer is awesome with a few years on it...congrats to my brother on wedding as well!!!

A-

4.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from the "brick" release. Poured into a tulip.

Pours solid dark brown, with a nice thick light-tan head. Excellent retention, and nice sticky lacing. Full of rich aromas, leather, tobacco, fig. Tastes of fig, raisin, alcohol is evident, but not overpowering. Mouthfeel is very smooth. Perfectly carbonated.

4.98/5  rDev +8%

Poured from bottle into Westvletern 12 glass

A: Rich reddish brown coloring with an off white inch of a head that quickly dissipates into a few tiny bubbles. A bit of alcohol clinging to the glass.

S: This beer smells pretty dank. So much fruity esters from the Belgian yeast strain coming through, that's raisins, plums and cherries. Malt sweetness too. Perfect for the style.

T: This is a balanced as can be. A sweet, fruity Belgian Quad but the attenuation on this is great, which provides a dry and slightly bitter tasting side to the beer. A complex, yet simple beer somehow.

M: Perfect carbonation and medium-full body. Not too heavy or overpowering, the brew coats the mouth and goes down easy. There's a slight warming in the throat and stomach, great for the ABV. I'd love to get saucy off a couple of these.

O: I think people are disappointed or underwhelmed with hyped beers like this, and let's say a brew like Pliny the Elder, because they aren't in your face, extreme beers. They certainly are a bit over-hyped and played out to be, but at the end of the day, it comes down to how simple and balanced they are. This is just a perfectly balanced Trappist Quad that delivers. Sweet but not overly so, and just the right amount of dryness. It is complex as hell. This is a beer that's also amazing paired with food. I'd put the other Trappist Quads, like Rochefort and other Belgian versions of the brew style, St. Bernardus Abt. 12 for example, right up there with it but it does stand out. These monks are not fucking around over there and I do respect their choice not to expand and distribute this work of art widely. Thanks for the gift sets and good luck with modifications to your monastery. I really wish I had access to more though, guess I'll have to wait for my pilgrimage. I'm wit da hypebeasts on this one, go get it now!

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

I was hesitant to pick up a sixer of these bad boys because I do not like the style. I am very glad I decided to.

A: This beer dishes out more head than Jenna Jameson. It sticks around for a while too and leaves some serious lacing around the glass. Color is dark amber.

S: Malty,Caramel, yeast, alcohol.

T: Malty but really sweet at all. Lots of caramel, plum, yeast, and alcohol. Flavors are very complex. Has an amazing dry bitter finish that really balances all the malt that punches you up front. The alcohol is present but very subdued for 10.2 percent... it provides a bridge for the flavors to linger on the palate long after it goes down.

M: Very full and rich yet not completely balanced. Really makes use of every taste bud.

O: I've only found a few beers I like in this style. This is my new favorite. In the words of THE GREAT DALSA... BOOOSH!

4.98/5  rDev +8%

Picked up my limited edition gift pack this morning. . .opened one bottle and poured into one of the Westy glasses supplied with the pack.

P: Poured a nice dark brown with a pretty good head.

S: Smell is unbelievable. Never opened a beer with such an intoxicating scent. Clearly a Belgian strong ale but much more complex.

T: Shockingly good. I'm. . .stunned.

M: Sublime. . .just keeps getting better the more I drink.

This beer is crazy good. I love trappist beers and have tried all of them. I regularly drink Rochfort and Beranardus and they don't come close. This beer is the only beer I've ever drank and immediately crowned it the best I've had.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle has a 'best by' date of 8-11-14. I think I have cellared it for about one year now.

A: Pours with a full frothy head that slowly settles down. Strong lacing. Color is deep amber. Well carbonated.

S: Malty, deep caramel, hay and alcohol

T: Taste is very malty, but not sweet. Lots of complex flavors. Caramel, plum, hay, yeast, alcohol. The taste is surprisingly dry. It has a long bitter aftertaste that dominates but is very pleasant. The taste is not overpowering but it dances on the tongue for a surprisingly long time.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated. The mix of flavors seems to stimulate the entire mouth (Yeh, I know that sounds funny but that is the effect).

O: A great beer that defines the style. Best beer in the world? I think it is unfair to compare styles but there are other beers that I prefer. Best beer in this style? Maybe, but I have not tried them all yet (but I am working on it). Either way, this is a great beer that is worth seeking out. I hope to try it on tap someday.

3.5/5  rDev -24.1%

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours deep amber with a frothy light tan almost off-white head that fades slowly. Sticky lacing

Dark fruits and spice. Warming alcohol. Rum soaked fruit cake. Grassy spicy hops. Rich and bready.

Super rich and fruity gives way to bready and toasty. Cinnamon and clove. Quite sweet but not unbalanced. Warming alcohol in the back. Raisins and dates. Allspice as well. Haven't had many beers quite this rich. Just a hint of spicy noble hops.

Extremely full mouthfeel but with a good amount of carbonation. Thick and sweet but not cloying. Pretty amazing.

Perhaps I'm falling for the hype, but it does seem more rich, flavorful, and has a fuller mouthfeel than Rochefort and St. Bernardus.

4.18/5  rDev -9.3%

Has a best before date on the cap of 2.11.14 - November 2, 2014. From tasting notes -

A - Poured this into my Rochefort chalice. Dark brownish and clear no haze

S - suddle hints of apple and dark fruits

T - very complex, you get cherries and figs, deliciously sweet but not overpowering

M - incredibly smooth with clean finish and suddle alcohol burn, minimal carbonation

O - a great beer worth trying. IMO it's a dulled down version of St Bernardus 12. The recipe for the St. Bernardus and Westy are the same, so if you can't get your hands on this one pick up a St. Bernardus and try that. I was lucky to bring one back from Belgium and it was very good. IMO the Westy is like the Bernardus little brother/cousin.

I have visited the In De Vrede Cafe located right next door to the Westvleteren Monastery 4 times now and each time is a special treat. My good friend lives in Poperinge, a tiny town just south of the cafe and each time I visit we grab the bicycles and go for a beer. Absolutely delicious and the seclusion of the place is equally wonderful. Nestled in the middle of hops paradise.

A - Dark brown, carmel shades

S - Sweet, spiced, malty

T - The best part! Full, rich, deep spiced textures

M - Silky smooth

O - My absolute favorite for the combination of taste, story behind the beer, and rarity of drinking one.