Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,298
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,422 | Reviews: 1,722
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I do not have the expertise to say whether this is the best beer in the world but it is certainly the best I've had the good fortune to try.

4.64/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Caramel goodness! Has the body that WV8 lacks. Wonderful beer!!

4.91/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Worth all the hard work searching in Brussels. Balance of malt, sweet under tones and balance perfected over time. This is an example of difficulty to find not being justification for a fad.

4.84/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This bottle has two years on it. Dark brown with no trace of head. Smells of dates and sweet malts. Taste is so earthy fruity, dates raisins a small bite of maybe brandy booze? Very nice but I think I preferred fresh at the abbey.

4.89/5  rDev +6.1%

Bought a bottle for 10 Euros at Bierparadijs in Beligum during a recent business trip. Poured into a Corsendonk goblet. Thick creamy head, deep ruby color led the way for spicy, fruity scents. Taste was spot on. Definitely similar to St. Bernardus Abt 12 but it had something more (maybe just the name?). Mouthfeel was great with a sharp but short kick of alcohol spice at the finish. So happy to finally have this beer.

3.73/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L- Deep amber with more head than expected; pretty murky
S- Dark fruit, burnt toffee, sugar, not much to cut the sweetness
T- Carb definitely plays in the finish, but still too sweet for me
F- Once again, carb really played a center role in this one, not my thing
O- Was nice to try, but won't be seeking this out in the future

4.52/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Quite possibly the most difficult beer I've ever obtained. My bottle traveled many lengths to make it into my glass.

This was tasted blind as part of a gauntlet throw Quad throwdown against Rochefort 10 and Bernardus 12.

It had some age on it but still had the largest head which was downright mindblowing to me. The flavors had softened with time and it makes me thing it would be an outright 5 if tasted brand new but the alcohol was still present in the aroma and the flavor profile. It was without a doubt worth the effort to get her but I don't foresee myself putting up the effort to do it again.

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It is outstanding, but nothing can stand up to that level of notoriety.

3.5/5  rDev -24.1%

I won a bottle of Westvleteren XII in a charity raffle. I was very excited to try this beer because it was before it bottled for sale in the US. Me and a friend both tried the beer and we are both big fans of Belgian beers. The aroma and flavors we muddled and did not seam like a good example what I had heard people rave about.

Worth the hype. Unlike any other beer. I swear it got me stoned.

Bought a bottle in middle of Brussels, Belgium on Dec 29, 2014.
Decided to open it for a celebration on June 1st, 2015.
It blew me away. Very complex taste. A lot of dark fruit smell and taste. Some maltiness.
The dark fruit taste of grape and prune came out even more when it is warmer. Some hint of alcohol, but not that much. With every taste, it is even better.
Worth the hype and is somewhat cheap for the quality. I would love to have another one again, if it's not too damn difficult to find in the US.

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally decided to open a bottle from my stash. Very smooth a little heady however extremely delicious. One of my favorite beers.

I was GIVEN a bottle of this by a great guy at work. I shared it with some great friends at a great bar. None of that matters to this fact: this beer is INCREDIBLE.

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Simply divine! I saved a couple bottles and finally opened one up. It reminds me of champagne. Freshness date: 2/25/2018

A: Dark red/amber in color with a thin, white head which appears to be a thick, creamy foam. It never dissipates and seems to coat the top of the beer. There is also an abundance of fizzy bubbles within the beer.

S: Raisins, grapes, mixed fruits, some sweetness, hint of alcohol.

T: No flavor stands out as it is extremely balanced. Some mild sweetness to it combined along with notes of grapes and raisins.

M: Medium amount of carbonation, champagne like. There really is no bitterness or dryness either.

O: Very good!! I wish I was able to acquire more, but I guess i'll save my last bottle for a very special occasion!!

4.84/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank from Westy 12 chalice. This was last of a case ordered a few months ago. Stored at 57 degrees and drank the same temp. The case was fresh, so this was only a two to three months old - very young for this beer. Below is a summary of that wonderful case.

Look: Dark Brown with a one finger head, smallish bubbles which would mostly go away in about ten to twenty minutes

Smell: Fruit and brown sugar - can pick up the Alcohol but not overpowering.

Taste: Fantastic and consistent this quad is. The flavors are not trumped by the the alcohol at any point. Wonderful flavor that lasts long after the last swallow.

Feel: Wonderful thick mouth feel.

Best dark powerful beer I have ever had. Won on multiple side by sides with the other trappest quads. But not by a huge amount, but definitely a noticeable edge. I don't agree with those who say this is not as good as Rochefort 10. But Captain Obvious wil tell you (and I agree) that the difference is not as great as the cost differential ($20 for the Westy against Rochefort at 6 bucks)

4.91/5  rDev +6.5%

Presentation: 12oz bottle that my uncle brought from Belgium. Approx 60 degrees F. Opened 5/25/15 Freshness date 1/14/18.

Look: Poured into tulip glass. Foggy dark brown color with tiny particles floating in it and with a finger of off-white head of small bubbles that faded quickly. Beautiful in the glass.

Smell: Malt. Toast. Dark Fruit. Cherry. Yeast. Alcohol.

Taste: Extremely smooth through the whole process of drinking. All of the above flavors with a nice sweetness towards the end which hides the alcohol.

Overall, the best beer that I have had. Definitely the best Quad that I've had. A joy and pleasure to drink. Unfortunately my uncle insisted on sharing it with others who don't know beer and who appreciated it a lot less...frustrating.

3.47/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Warming. Alcohol is noticeably present. The darker malts come together with a flourish of dark fruits under the aroma. Good, but I'd rather have several other quads that are easier to get and probably a bit better. A good beer nonetheless.

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

amazing beer , probably the best I have had to date

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best Quad I've ever had. That said, it's not leaps and bounds above some of the other famous Quads. But, the best is the best.

4.62/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

A beautiful beer. Smells and tastes like fresh baked bread. I have had the pleasure of tring a 3 year aged version and a fresh 4 month old one. Aging improved this beer. Both were excellent but the aged version gave new flavors and put the yeast as a role player rather than the main character. Subtle sweetness not normally found in the style. Worth all the hype.

4.92/5  rDev +6.7%

Once in a lifetime brew experience. Gotta thank my pops for bringing this one back to the states so I could try it

4.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured about 4 oz at a tasting into a snifter.
A- nice brown with a golden tint. Slight off-white head.
S- great smell of burnt sugars, stoned fruits, dates, figs, raisins. Awesome smell. Hype is high and the smell is there.
T- follows the nose with the addition of some alcohol burn. Really nice.
M- nice smooth sip.
O- definitely worth the wait.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This used to be the number one beer in the world.

Is it worth the hype? No. Is is a good beer? Yes.

I have tried two different "vintages" of this beer; one was aged for five years before consumption, the other for two years. The tastes really did not change that much over time.

I would not want to drink much more than a one or two ounce pour of Westy 12. A small splash at a tasting is enough to give you a sense of what this beer is about and an appreciation for what it represents.

I had it once and felt that was enough to satisfy a curiosity for this lifetime.

Do not go trading whales for it.

4.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can be said, wonderful!

King of the Trappist ales.
The malt sweetness is just on the verge of sticky, but does not detract.
More body than the SB Abt12, which of course is the comparable.
Love it.