Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,796
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
Sdmurray4

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

Had a few of these at the "Cafe In de Vrede" at the monastary. Well....it was pretty damn good. The best in the world? debatable. For me it was a lot like a St. Bernadus 12. Which makes sense since it was the monks at Saint Sixtus Abbey which helped to start St. Berny's brewery.

02-03-2012 17:57:25 | More by Sdmurray4
mikul93

02-02-2012 03:14:24 | More by mikul93
areich6

02-01-2012 17:41:26 | More by areich6
pschul4

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Big shoutout to readbaron for hooking me up!

A- Pours a light brown. Sits in the glass as a dark brown brew. My anticipation is palable. This is friggin Westy!

S- Very sweet dark fruit scent, it smells so good I don't want to stop smelling it.

T- Oh dear sweet baby Jesus... It's exceeding all expectations. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of quads but this is mind blowing. Sweet dark fruits come into perfect harmony with hops, malts, and alcohol. I could go on all night but just rest assured this is everything it's made out to be.

M- Low carbonation and quite think, which is a great thing given how amazing the flavor is. Definitely a sipper which just makes it last longer.

O- First when I traded for this I was glad I wouldn't have to take part in the hysteria. Now I think I might have to give my first born for a crate of this. Seek out at any cost!

02-01-2012 04:11:04 | More by pschul4

01-31-2012 15:50:36 | More by phingdong
Sc0pey

United Kingdom (England)

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

2009 bottle picked up from the Brewery. It pours mahogany to deep ruby in colour with a thin foamy beige head. The nose is wood, ginger, raisin, fig, date, orange-zest, leather and dark chocolate. The taste unbelievably complex: wood, caramel, toffee, plum, cherry, date, prune, fig, stewed pear, red grape, banana, vanilla, leather, smoke, charcoal, milk and dark chocolate, rich-roast coffee, liquorice, nice alcohol warmth....the list could go on. The underlying sweetness balances the more savoury flavours. It has fine carbonation, a full body, layers of complexity, surprising smoothness and one of the longest finishes around. Awesome.

01-31-2012 09:23:13 | More by Sc0pey
eawolff99

Colorado

01-30-2012 23:38:29 | More by eawolff99
Fux

France

4.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: pours a dark brown colored brew, with copper / mahogany glints to light. Nice head with a good retention that leaves nice lacing above a thin film of foam.

S: The nose is deep and sweet. Malts, some phenolic esters also but nothing disturbing here. Dark fruits, grapes, raisins, plums, peaches, a bit spicy (cloves) and yeasty. Very complex and hard to describe.

T: Sweet malts, caramel, faint notes of chocolate, lots of dark fruits, cherries, bananas, hints of alcohol. Typical Belgian yeasts bready flavors on the finish. Warming. Slightly bitter.

M: Very carbonated but full bodied.

O: Very complex and well balanced but so easy to drink! With 2-3 years on it, definitely one my favorite beers!

01-30-2012 21:24:42 | More by Fux
crashoveride

01-30-2012 21:14:43 | More by crashoveride
time4abeer

01-30-2012 17:32:51 | More by time4abeer
pcents

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Wow, I was lucky enough to get a bottle made in 2010 and I split it with a friend of mine. This is the best beer I have ever had and I can only hope that I can get my hands on another one before I die. We poured it out of the traditional unmarked bottle into the most ghetto of clear plastic cup, it pains me to even admit that, but good beer will always be good no matter what. It appearance was a dark murk brown and it had a large yellow/brown head. It had a heavy unami aroma that was very pleasant. Up front it has a simple sweet/malty taste with even a hint of raisin while the back-end of it provided a little spice and heat perhaps due to it being aged for two years. I was told to swish it around in my mouth and there was an explosion of flavor as it turned to a cream like consistency. I would also say it had a little bitter and roasty notes throughout the tasting. Would definitely recommend it and I may have to make a trip to Belgium.

01-30-2012 03:11:59 | More by pcents
todisht

Alabama

01-30-2012 01:44:15 | More by todisht
ciaomonaco

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

The experience of drinking a living legend is unique and one that is obviously better experienced than translated into language, however the latter is possible, to an extent.

The word that best describes this beer - pleasurable. This beer strikes the balance of sweet and beer so perfectly, it literally brought a smile to my face. It is sweet on the front end of the experience with a slightly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is heavy, it turns into thick cream as you swish it around your mouth. There are hints of raisins and plums that give the beer a rich sweetness, that is surely balanced by some mild hoppiness. Heavy carbonation, slightly cloudy, a light head.

There is a mythical experience that comes with drinking Westvleteren 12 that cannot be understood unless one drinks it.

01-30-2012 01:37:39 | More by ciaomonaco

01-29-2012 13:34:30 | More by Adamdc
Hawkfish

Washington

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Drank this last Christmas Eve after service.

Smelled of dark fruits, dark bread, leather, and cherries.

Some sediment, but who cares, it's the 12!

Malty but finishes dry, sweet like dark candi sugar, spicy, caramel, dark fruit, mild coffee.

Tight bubbles in carbonation.

Prefer the Younger as my top beer, but this rocks. Can't wait to try this one day fresh at the Abbey.

01-29-2012 03:12:42 | More by Hawkfish
AndyAvalanche

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Well I figured I'd make this review count, and get a little cocky and review it before the distribution to the US actually does happen in the Spring of 2012.

12 oz. bottle poured into a Leffe chalice. The cap indicates 16-06-13 as what I would assume is the best bye date. Popped the cap and a small amount of foam started to ball up at the top, waited a minute or 2 for the pour. Sort of a brown dirty water color in the liquid but darker, slightly darker than cider. There is quite a bit of setiment floating around in there, saved a little at the bottom of the bottle so there wasn't too much, but I think it's unavoidable, no big deal. Looks pretty good. Like many Belgian styles, there is a decent sized foamy head, mostly small bubbles but slightly varies. The head is slightly darker than off white. Good looking beer, I wouldn't say it's the best looking beer I've ever seen (even for the style), but you can tell it's quality.

Took my first sniff from the bottle before I poured it and I couldn't believe how good it smelled; it sort of went away, but it was hoppier than I expected. However the more I smell it, I think it's just it's the fruitiness from the other ingredients. Dark fruits come out, plumb, crushed apples, pears, even cherries. Subtle tropical fruits too. Also hints of mild chocolate and maybe even some coffee. None of those gross banana-like aromas that often apply in many Belgian styles. This is all good all the way. My ONLY knock on this is that it's not that strong, decisive, but nothing not that strong, so I'd give it a 4.75 if possible, but this will do.

Taste is truly outstanding and now I understand the hype. I'm not traditionally one to prefer Belgian style brews to others, but Quads were what I like the most of them all and now I totally understand the hype. All the aromas come out in the flavor here. Very malty and fruity ( I don't feel like typing all the fruits again, so read above). Subtle chocolate again, but a little more bitter this time, slight coffee too. Perfectly balanced between bitter and sweet. I'm not overly versed in the Quad style, but this is worthy of being the standard of how this beer should taste.

Mouthfeel is perfect, plain and simple. Huge, full flavor while feeling soft and delicate. Great carbonation level and the yeast doesn't leave that ,well "yeasty" feeling in your mouth, it's very smooth. The 10.2% is WELL hidden in the mouthfeel and the flavor, I NEVER would have guessed that if I didn't know. Crazy drinkable too. This is just an all around wonderful beer all around, absolutely happy to have tried it; maybe I'll get the opportunity again. If more Quads tasted like this, it could be my favorite style.

Huge props to dbexpert, you're the man, thanks a ton for the trade!

01-28-2012 23:48:44 | More by AndyAvalanche
bark

Sweden

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Unknown vintage, although I think it is quite fresh.

The colour is brown, the liquid a bit cloudy. The low head is off-white, it leaves some nice lacing.

The smell got a distinct note of sponge-cake dough. Sweet Champagne. Red berries. It is very smooth.

The taste is first enormously sweet. Then, fruity jam flavours kicks in. Smooth hoppy-hayish notes with very low bitterness. Wheat flour. Some toffee. The aftertaste is tremendously smooth with fruits and herbs in the finish.

The carbonation is fresh, the bubbles are small. The liquid is smooth and a bit dry.

One of the best beers in the world? I was a bit nervous before tasting it, but it didn’t disappoint me: One of the smoothest and most balanced beers I have had, with a distinct note of Raspberry Swiss roll.

01-28-2012 15:58:35 | More by bark
Gfunk720

Connecticut

01-27-2012 19:27:37 | More by Gfunk720
spdyfire83

Ireland

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

130th Review
Bottle to Westvletren 12 (small) chalice - as it should be!

From notes. I have enjoyed this beer several times, but this review was as a result of my encounter with it as beer #4 enjoyed as part of a blind Quad tasting - to warm our palates before the real tasting - in Utrecht (December 2011). Thanks Jeffo and doopiedoopiedoo for the hospitality!

A: Burnt brown. Single (tan) fingernail head on Jeffo's pour - I was being honest.

S: Holy smokes. I knew what is was from first sniff, but gosh it doesn't get much better than this! Complex. Dark fruits, caramel, hint of vanilla, cloves, and a touch of heaven. At least I can only hope.

T: Much like the smell, but very, very smooth. Brown sugar, dark fruit, and nice balance of spice. Not overly complex, but just right!

M: Medium bodied and perfect carbonation here.

O: Stand ovation on this and it will never stopping amazing me - the monks of Westvleteren sure know how to brew an excellent beer! You can enjoy a "fresh" bottle or a vintage bottle and the result will always be the same - outstanding! It does age quite well too, but I think this bottle was a bit more fresh. Either way, it is definitely something any beer drinkers out there should have the experience of enjoying (even if you don't like the style). I converted to appreciate the Belgian Quad as a result of my first encounter with this beer.

01-27-2012 18:32:09 | More by spdyfire83