Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,759
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
jimmyjazzercise

AD17

05-21-2014 00:19:29 | More by AD17
Beerisheaven

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

This is third time that I have had a Westy 12 and finally decided to review it.

Pulled one of the older vintages I have with best by date of March 2010 on the label. Although I have had this three times, I stil get a very special feeling when opening one.

Very interesting to read the reviews about the appearance of this beer. For the one I poured Sat night, it poured a chestnut brown with very little head being generated. These have been stored with great care; the other ones that I have sampled of fresher vintage produced a much greater head and lacing than this 3 year old sample.

S & T - What else can you add that has not already been said. I stil think this has a magnificent flavor profile. The three years have mellowed it some and made it a bit sweeter than I remember fresher vintages. Figs, prune, raison, and a delightfully sugary candy taste are all present. Truly an epic experience for your taste buds.

M - Maybe not as creamy as I remember the fresher versions. A little thinner than I remember but still delightful.

D - Here is where I think the 3 years has done well. No hints of booziness at all. Smooth as silk. Wonderul.

Stil a masterpiece. I have about 6 bottles of the gold still remaining. Another one won't come out until X-mas eve but I am looking forward to a couple of blondes (who isn't) this summer.

05-24-2010 22:40:48 | More by Beerisheaven

09-21-2013 05:21:51 | More by JefferyYoung
YoudownwithABV

Tennessee

4.7/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been wanting to try this beer for years and have it on my list of must haves to try. Finally I got a bottle from the US release as a Christmas present to myself.

I'm glad to report there was nothing about this beer that fell short.

Snifter Glass at about 55 degree beer temp.

Appearance: A reddish purple hue and a tad bit cloudy. Nice head that stays around for the duration of the beer.

Smell; Raisins, plums, figs and some what yeasty.

Taste: Refer to smell yet with some complexity on the back end of the tongue. So much depth.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is retained and provides a great feel not over powering. Alcohol content is very well hidden.

Overall: It lives up to the hype and I'm so glad I had a chance to partake. It's a must try.

12-26-2013 02:44:06 | More by YoudownwithABV
Sirre

Netherlands

01-05-2014 18:06:38 | More by Sirre
JNewbs

Appearance - Everything I could hope for. Big head, great color. The mystery bottle and identifying cap add to the alure.
Smell - Figgy, fresh, a bit boozy.
Taste - Indescribable. Delicious.
Mouthfeel - Very carbonated, smooth, as good as anything I've had, though I don't typically discriminate by mouthfeel unless a beer is flat or thin.
Drinkability - I could drink two of these with no issue. After that, the booze would be too much. But I'm sleeping by then anyway.

This beer was absolutely incredible. I've been drinking St. Bernardus 12 and Rochefort 10 to prepare myself to try it. Then this puppy blew them out of the water. Unbelievable, the difference. More fruity taste, and a delicious warmth. Not as boozy as other quads I tried, and I can easily say if this ever comes across my path again, I won't be trading it away.

05-21-2010 12:26:14 | More by JNewbs

01-15-2013 01:03:35 | More by hopluva1
DARIVA

Netherlands

3.93/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Nice little light dark beer with a good head.

S: The smells of caramel but nothing more recognizable.

T: The taste of toffee. Bit bitter beer and a little sweet taste.

M: Light carbonation.

O: Fairly long finish but a bit on the light side, even some creamy. Had something more expected, will later do a review of this beer.

04-25-2012 09:14:57 | More by DARIVA
WallE89

05-24-2013 03:46:23 | More by WallE89
jsunj

04-17-2014 23:54:20 | More by jsunj
ncbrewerbun

A Christmas present from my daughter who is spending a year near Amsterdam. She made the trek, made the calls for an appointment, took the trains and got a few rides....There is no way that I thought this beer could ever live up to its hype. (A group of us just got back from a vacation to Belgium and we could not get this beer anywhere.)

It lived up to its hype!

A plain brown bottle with only the cap signifying that you have a Westvleteren 12 in your grasp. On the cap in computer print is 22.11.09...it was just a month from being picked up at the brewery. The beer pours into my official "Trappist Westvleteren" tulip glass (also part of the present) a burnt amber with an offwhite head that lasts a good while before disappearing into persistent lace.

The aroma is a delicious combination, perfectly balancing sweet malts and dark fruits. There is raisin, some plum, backed by caramel and light toffee.

The flavor is just amazing. Again, the perfect balance of malt, dark/dried fruits with a hint of alcohol. A little taste of brown sugar, fresh plum, dried cherry, and the slightest hop presence to wrap everything together. The aftertaste stays with you, making you not want to eat or drink anything else to help you savor this beer.

Medium body, velvety smooth, and a nice alcohol warmth.

This beer is close to perfect. It's freshness no doubt really helps the intangibles come out, but I happen to have another couple of bottles that I plan to stash away to try later. The smoothness and balance are so hard for any other beer to capture, and this beer does that impecibly. What a great Christmas present!!

edit: OK...I did find the date and put it in my review. I put the rest of my bottles away to cellar, taking out for special occasions. I hope a few last a year or so. Fresh it's, well, exceptional.

12-25-2006 19:15:31 | More by ncbrewerbun
ReebShorts

Washington

First off, thanks to my brother Dogfood for bringing me this sample over Christmas. I was gonna save it for a while, but I just can't resist cracking into one of (if not) the top rated beer in the world.

Broke out the trusty Westmalle chalice. There is no label, just a cap to let you know what you are drinking.

Color is ruby brown, the head consists of shimmering, tight, brown bubbles, which take there time fading to a solid thin layer.

The aroma is intoxicating, yet hard to describe. I get dark fruits, molasses, toffee, brown sugar, cherry...

One sip is enough for me to believe the hype. This one is a 5 plain and simple, I'm just going to enjoy the rest of this now...

01-03-2007 06:26:57 | More by ReebShorts