Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,841
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
UnoMasBelgian

03-27-2014 23:43:06 | More by Great-Pyrebeers
kegerator

Maryland

4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

I enjoyed this one wuite a bit, for all its hype and being the top rated I was a little disappointed, I really enjoyed the blue cap # 8 much better.
anywho:
poured out a deep brown hazy color with a huge head, i had trouble getting the head to go away so i could actually drink the beer. I like a nice size head but this one is a little overkill in my opinion.
smelled great, some fruit, and a big nutty smell comes out, some bread.
taste: very nice, much like the smell, but the taste I recived mostly nut and a light sweetness, it went down very smooth though and the alcohol was well hidden but very warming.
I think its a very drinkable beer but I can say I would not spend the 8 - 9 bucks for a 12 ounce bottle again. If I had my choice I would go after the blue cap first

05-06-2004 13:22:43 | More by kegerator
DavidEddie

3.43/5  rDev -25.6%

Thanks to Jasonjlewis for the trade.
06.12.09 printed on cap.
Dark cola appearance. Off-white head diminishes quickly. Smells of dark fruits, grape, red wine, and cotton candy. Very aromatic. Tastes sugary sweet, dark dried fruits, dark cherries, grapes, and a small bit of chocolate mixed in there. Kinda boozy, some alcohol warming as it goes down. Flavors linger in the finish. Mouth feel is mildly creamy at first then turns a bit syrupy. Good amount of carbonation.
Overall, the drinkability was not bad. ProbabIy won‘t be seeking it out again. Worth a try. Cheers!

11-05-2007 01:56:22 | More by DavidEddie
redneckchugger

4.3/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured dark brown with almost tan-cream head. Loads of lacing
Beauriful nose, belgian yeast, caramel, toaasted nuts, and a huge plum presence.
The palate is less refined, huge hit of alcohol, with a bit more of the belgiany flaovr from teh yeast. More plum, lots of sugar fruit like rum soaked raisens, plums, some breadiness as well.
This is a great beer, worldclass no doubt, but best on the planet, i think thats a stretch. The nose is amazing, as good as any i have smelled to this point However, the pallete is a bit less complex than suggested by the nose. Don't get me wrong, this beer is better than most, its mindblowingly good. I jsut find the alcohol to be a bit much, and the flavor profile to be a hair off. All in all a truely great beer though.

10-11-2009 02:55:17 | More by redneckchugger
hellbilly

Arizona

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

BB 12/18/10

hazy auburn brown pour with a monstrous tan head. cinnamon cream colored yeast hits last and creates little designs in the fluff.

very vinous aroma changes every time i go back for another sniff... white wine, brown sugar, milk chocolate, malt powder and vanilla all show up.

the palate is quite spicy and has a ton of yeasty bitterness... earthy, woody, real maple syrup, concentrated malt powder and lots of chocolate chip cookie dough flavors. pleasant perfume before the dry spicy finish. it's only mildly sweet though dry at the same time. medium body seems a bit thin considering how much is going on, the abv% and how NOT sweet it is. creamy texture is rich in the mouth but not heavy.

i really enjoy the balance, alcohol and complexity yet the sugar level is kept low making it crazy easy to drink and enjoy. sure it smells alright and tastes ok... but it's the whole package that makes it great!
9/4/9/5/19/4.6

12-20-2008 19:20:13 | More by hellbilly
0110x011

4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Pours a ruddy brown with a minimal head. Lacing is light at best. Ruby highlights when held to a light source. not exactly a pretty beer.

S - Yeah, boy! Everything you want a quad to be. Huge plum, fig, raisin, and other dark fruit aromas coupled with some leathery earth and spicy alcohol.

T - Equally joyous. Lands right between Rochefort 10, St Bernardus ABT 12, and Chimay blue. not too thick, not too hot, and complex as you can get. Beauty.

M - Again, right in the middle. perfect balance.

D - Leaves me aching for more. I envy the Belgians that much more now.

Not the best beer in the world, or the best beer I've evr had, but goddamn does it rank up there.

03-31-2009 03:38:01 | More by 0110x011
tarheels86

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

330mL 2003 ed

A- Pours very deep brown almost black with a thin tan head that leaves some nice bubbles and a faint protective layer. Really wants to lace well. Other samples I've had at In De Vrede usually prodcue large patterns of webby lace on the Westy chalice.

N- Outstanding on the older bottles: loads of rum raisin, malaga gelato, light cognac, dates, figs, mulled apple cider. Whoa.

T- Similar: tons of gourmet dark fruits, cognac, milk chocolate, ganache, chocolate mousse, mulled red wine. A little warming from the 10%. This is seriously good.

P- Beautiful creamy, rich palate. Definitely gains mouthfeel and body from the aging.

Definitely one to age for 5+ years.

05-04-2011 14:28:23 | More by tarheels86

simoen

08-27-2013 12:46:02 | More by simoen
Hex92

3.95/5  rDev -14.3%

After all the trouble and expense I went through to get my hands on one of the bricks sold on 121212 I have to wonder if the rating on this beer isn't inflated because people think its got to be better than it really is.

Its a good beer, but not super amazing. I am going to set a couple back and try them again in one year intervals to see if they improve, but at this point, given the price I wouldnt buy this beer again. I'm tempted to sell a couple to recoup my cost.

S- dried fruits a bit of alcohol. Same for tne flavor.
M- a bit thin and more carbonation than expected .

O- decent. I am glad I was able to get my hands on a sixer, but there are several better beers out there IMHO.

01-01-2013 05:18:37 | More by Hex92
Dajtai007

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

08, this was poured at the end of a long tasting, but damn did it stand out.
Poured into glasses, three-ways. Beautiful appearance, nice head retention.
The nose was amazing, very complex of dried and tropical fruits, caramel, sweet Belgium yeasts. I smelled the glass for about 10 minutes without even taking a sip.
Taste was transferred from the nose. Smooth, delight, and complexity danced on my tongue. Truly the best beer in the world hands down. Mouth feel was perfect, I was in heaven.
I wish I had several cases of this, I swear it would turn peoples notion about beer. Truly exceptional, to be brewed only by the divine. I can't wait to open up the other bottles further down the road.

03-31-2010 16:53:22 | More by Dajtai007

02-15-2013 15:24:56 | More by Beerstorian
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Davey shared this bottle with me when we drank my Westy 8. Poured into goblet a still, murky, yeasty, brown with no head. Smelled of dark fruit, brandy. Taste of dark fruit as well, raisin, cherry, fig, a little warm, in the finish. This was pretty fizzy in the mouth which surprised me as it didn't look very carbonated when I poured it. Amazing beer and I'm glad I was able to sample this.

07-07-2009 18:24:05 | More by mugglesandhops