Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,881
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

rob133, Nov 15, 2011

LadyOfMuchBeer, Apr 14, 2012

frontalot, Jan 06, 2014
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Westvleteren 12 is a beautiful ruby red that pours with a slight head. Nice lacing on my Chimay chalice as I sip. The nose is full of sour fruit - raisins and plums. The sour nose gives way to a very sweet taste (Belgian candi sugar), but balanced with some bready undertones. This beer could certainly get me through a fast. I'm not sure how the monks maintain their vow of silence after drinking this - all I want to do is talk about it. The body is quite light, actually, but it holds up to the ABV well and makes for a very drinkable beer. I can see how this would get better with age, as some of the residual sugars get munched on by the yeast. I think I'll have to pick up another bottle. I don't know if I am being swayed psychologically by this being the rarest Trappist beer, but it is truly amazing.

ColForbin, Nov 14, 2003
4.15/5  rDev -10%

HUGE THANKS TO DAVE AT THE PUBLIK HOUSE BROOKLINE for pulling this out of the basement and hooking me up with a huge surprise. Especially since it has been aged for 2 years. Once my heart restarted I poured this bad boy into a Westvleteren glass (also provided by Dave) and noticed that all the carbonation was gone. This was a bit of a disappointment because I remember in a fresher version I had the carbonation caused the yeast to swirl and swim around when the glass is sitting still. It was visually stunning and added to this beers mystique. The aged beer still had a fresh and balanced smell, a bit more molasses / maple syrup then I remember. The taste follows a trend I have noticed with aged Belgian darks, the flavors seem to meld and result in an overall flavor timeline similar to raisin bran. The front is sweet like a dried raisin, the middle is where the molasses and maple syrup are present, then when the hops appear they transform the flavor to a hearty, malty, grainy flavor (the bran part). Meanwhile the alcohol is hidden well, it's there if you look for it, and overall the beer is very well balanced. I have noticed that with age the flavors have toned down and blended much better (as expected). Especially the alcohol, in my previous review I mentioned that the alcohol flavor was too strong that it overpowered the rest of the beer. I rated the 8 over the 12 because of the alcohol flavor balance. So it was a pleasant surprise to see that age has solved this issue. Mouthfeel has also changed due to the lack of carbonation. I recall the fresh version evaporated on the tongue, it was epervescent, and lively. The aged version is more syrup like and smooth, which allows you to roll the beer around the tongue and really study the flavors before it evaporates. That being said, I like the fresh version better. It's more of a party in your mouth. And the drinkability I have to give a high mark because it was very smooth and balanced. The real test was that I was with a newbie to "good beer" and she probably drank more of it than I did.

danadeny, Nov 11, 2005
4.6/5  rDev -0.2%

Into its beautiful chalice it pours a very dark, yet clear, brown with highlights of ruby red shining through the brew, only a bit of head crowns the beer and it fades to a delicate lace. I raise the glass to my nose and scents of warm red grapes, cranberry and cherry come flooding into my awareness. The sweet smell of fruit, caramel and toffee candy wraps itself so nicely around the significantly boozy brew. It pours over my lips and onto my tongue. Sudden sweetness hits me with flavours of red wine, plums, and wild berries. The sweetness is quickly followed by a refreshing dryness brought on by the high alcohol content. Both the sweet and the bitter mingle and dance on the palette in perfect unison, and linger into a long dry aftertaste that leaves me begging for more. The low carbonation takes the edge off of what might have otherwise been a sharp and bitter dryness, and makes it so very easy to drink. And then I had a second sip.

Quej, Aug 27, 2008

got in a trade from cubbyswans - thanks. Bottle dated 02.07.11

poured into a chalice.

A - Pours a dark brown, with reddish tones. Head quickly settled to a thin layer and ring around.

S - Fruity/spicy/yeasty. Slight scent of alcohol.

T - Fruity, sweet, tart linger

M - Medium, good level of carbonation.

D - Very good beer. Alcohol is well hidden, but still kicks.

tedpeer, Nov 22, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

08, this was poured at the end of a long tasting, but damn did it stand out.
Poured into glasses, three-ways. Beautiful appearance, nice head retention.
The nose was amazing, very complex of dried and tropical fruits, caramel, sweet Belgium yeasts. I smelled the glass for about 10 minutes without even taking a sip.
Taste was transferred from the nose. Smooth, delight, and complexity danced on my tongue. Truly the best beer in the world hands down. Mouth feel was perfect, I was in heaven.
I wish I had several cases of this, I swear it would turn peoples notion about beer. Truly exceptional, to be brewed only by the divine. I can't wait to open up the other bottles further down the road.

Dajtai007, Mar 31, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Lucky enough to try this from a friend who picked it up from the abbey in Belgium in 2008. Poured deep red with thick white head, great lace and retention, something very appealing about it. Smell was intense, sweet cherries, raisins, caramel and malt, alcohol in the nose too. Taste was equally intense, incredibly smooth and complex, sweet and bitter fruit and bready malt followed by spice and alcohol warming, yeasty with some more spice and alcohol bite in the finish. Incredible balance and complexity.

stingrayvr6, May 09, 2010

parris, Dec 14, 2012

ripweblo, Dec 18, 2012

FCal79, Feb 05, 2014

Element1290, Jan 31, 2013
4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Many many thanks to jojox for this in a recent trade. I am sooo excited to finally try this masterpiece of a brew. When opened it did spew a little like many belgians but not too much of the precious brew was wasted.
Pours an amber brown with a small head that quiclkly fades away. The nose on this baby is amazing. Lots of sweet malts, dark fruits, plums, figs, raisins and candi sugar. There is soo much complexity. some alcohol in there as well. Taste is similar to smell. Very complex, dark fruits, candi sugar not as much alcohol as the smell would indicate. Feels nice in your mouth good carbonation and kind of creamy when swallowed. This was an amazing beer what else can I say. I mean its Westvleteren 12.

scifan, Apr 04, 2009

sbart518, Aug 04, 2014

eyemustard, Jan 15, 2013

vancean2, Jul 04, 2014

TheHumanTorch, Feb 19, 2014

hikeeba, Oct 18, 2013

hoptician, Nov 05, 2013
4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

This beer is smooth opaque and malty. The alcohol is present form the 1st sip yet still very well hidden. An excellent beer thast is well worth the search. Mine was tasted at the Brewery and also in Brugge at a cozy pub. This beer is served in a chalice and should be consumed at close to room temperature for best enjoyment.

bierman2000, Apr 18, 2006