Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,759
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
mrunseen

Washington

11-18-2011 02:40:23 | More by mrunseen
Boppar

New Hampshire

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Definitely a very, very good beer. I would not go so far as to say that it is the best beer. That being said, it was a tremendous joy to drink, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to do so.

If I read the cap properly, then this was vintage 2003. Wow.

A: Pours reddish-brown with great lacing.

S: Smells of alcoholic warmth and raisins. Actually, it smelled very "dignified," if that makes any sense at all. The smell reminded me of cognac.

T: It tastes the way it smells, with sweet raisins and warm alcohol. Some other non-specific fruits in the background. The alcohol is definitely present. Again, sort of like a cognac. This is a tremendous beer. However, in a blind taste-test against Rochefort 10, for example, it would be a toss-up. While a very impressive offering, I guess I was expecting something more, given this beer's reputation.

M: Mouthfeel was good, although I would've liked it maybe a little thicker. It seemed to work quite well for this style.

D: I want another. Too bad it'll be quite some time. And at a steep price.

Again, this is an awesome beer. I encourage you to try it. But I was expecting it to be far and away the best.

03-29-2007 19:56:41 | More by Boppar
nycwinter

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Entry 1/8/09: So this is what good beer tastes like. The date is a little confusing. Does any one know what 24.09.11 denotes? I have two more bottles, should I let these sit around a lot longer?
Also, I had it at room temperature (approx. 72F) then put it in the fridge a few days ago. I let it sit out for about 10 minutes before I opened it. Did I ruin anything in this process?

A- I poured it into a pint glass. The color is an awesome light but murky brown. Very thin head that remained throughout, and some lacing.

S- Sweet and hoppy.

T- Like it smells. A little too strong for my tastebuds, bud I can definitely get used to it.
The high ABV probably takes some getting used to.

M- A little dry, but again, I can get used to it.

O- I'm really looking forward to the other two. One is enough for now.

Entry 12/21/09: This is bottle two of three that my wife got for me last Christmas. The date on the cap reads, "24.09.11". I stored this in my pantry for the last year, and placed it in a cooler set at about 45 degrees for a couple of days. Poured into a tulip glass.

A= Once opened, the contents fizzed out. This caused the sediment to swirl throughout the glass as I poured it as quickly as possible. It looked as thick and chewy as was perceived in the mouthfeel.

S= Honey and raisin bread

T= Very balanced watery sweetness, hop tartness, and alcohol hotness.

M= Medium-heavy viscosity. Smooth aftertaste.

D= I wish I could say, "Keep 'em coming!", but at $20 a bottle I gotta save bottle number three.

01-08-2009 03:24:56 | More by nycwinter

Idaho

11-14-2011 13:02:00 | More by inflatablechair
BeTheBall

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into my Trappist Westvleteren goblet after getting a HOLE IN ONE yesterday. What a way to celebrate. Dark opaque brown with a frothy two finger head; some minor lacing down the glass. Smell was heavenly; dark fruits, malty with some spice, sweet. Taste was similar, very complex; sweet and dry at the same time, very rich fruit flavor; figs, raisins, dates? Amazing how long down the throat the flavors continue. As it warmed it was slightly easier to taste the 10% ABV. Mouthfeel was really good, with a high degree of carbonation to keep all corners of the pallette involved in the pleasure. Drinkability from a flavor standpoint is good, but this one sneeks up on you. A powerhouse of alcohol.

08-03-2009 16:31:38 | More by BeTheBall
teamizm

11-16-2011 05:45:28 | More by teamizm
bunbury

Panama

11-19-2013 16:29:20 | More by bunbury
sjccmd

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours deep amber with a frothy light tan almost off-white head that fades slowly. Sticky lacing

Dark fruits and spice. Warming alcohol. Rum soaked fruit cake. Grassy spicy hops. Rich and bready.

Super rich and fruity gives way to bready and toasty. Cinnamon and clove. Quite sweet but not unbalanced. Warming alcohol in the back. Raisins and dates. Allspice as well. Haven't had many beers quite this rich. Just a hint of spicy noble hops.

Extremely full mouthfeel but with a good amount of carbonation. Thick and sweet but not cloying. Pretty amazing.

Perhaps I'm falling for the hype, but it does seem more rich, flavorful, and has a fuller mouthfeel than Rochefort and St. Bernardus.

12-12-2012 02:57:22 | More by sjccmd
Jablonski

Louisiana

4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

The Westvleteren is 1 year aged. Pours a hazy mahogany with a decent sized head. It looked like it would be a gusher at first, but didn't quite make it over the top. The head dissipates quickly. It smells largely of dark fruits, with a bitterness combined with it. There is also a sweetness combined with it as well. The alcohol comes through slightly in the smell, but not to strong. The taste is filled with tons of spices and dark fruits. The alcohol has largely mellowed into the taste, though there is a warming sensation to the beer. The bitterness blends nicely into the taste, though there is a slight dry aftertaste. The mouthfeel is as smooth as I've ever had a beer. The beer goes down smooth and is very drinkable. If I ever head over to Belgium, I'll enjoy myself a few.

05-09-2009 23:56:15 | More by Jablonski

02-13-2013 01:28:41 | More by NikD
bhalter8

Georgia

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

A special treat for my wife and I on our anniversary, as she is a huge Belgian fan. Pours a hazy deep brown color, with huge (2 finger), thick head that quickly evaporates into my goblet. Little darker than I expect from a quad. The smell was striking to me, and in a good way. It was nice mix of the sweetness of raisins and honey and an almost red wine alcohol smell. A very unique, and very enticing smell. The complex aroma is definitely a forebearer of the taste. A blend of a malty, sweet backbone, with spices, and that red wine character (I am not a huge wine advocate, so I cannot describe it any more specifically, and have never used a wine reference in a beer review, it just fits here). Medium carbonization and a medium density makes this rest nicely in the mouth, allowing you to enjoy all the complexities of the flavor. The ABV is also superbly masked by the complex flavor. Worthy of its lofty status indeed.

02-25-2009 14:33:24 | More by bhalter8