Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,025
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

One of the few beers I've had that lives up to the hype. Best quad I've ever tasted. Top 5 beers.

4.24/5  rDev -8%

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer is damn close to perfect. Balanced fruits, bready, malt, spices. The body is light. I don't recall ever drinking a quad with anything close to this body and mouthfeel. Alcohol is well hidden. There is little reason for me to wax on about this beer. Many reviews have nailed it.

4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

special thanks to babnate for bringing this to a recent tasting. served from a bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

a - poured a cloudy dark brown into my glass. had a slight head that laced around the glass very well. when held to the light one can see the sediment goodness that comes along with the beer.

s - fruity prevails at first scent, then gives way to a sweet smell of sugar. also apparent to the nose is a yeasty bread scent.

t - at first sip what comes to mind is that all the tastes from this beer is very well balanced. the fruit flavors are not overbearing and gave way to a caramel/brown sugar flavor. the alcohol was not overpowering at all and seemed almost non-apparent. a dangerous notion with this wonderful beer at 10.2% avb.

m - medium in body which is good for a quad. the amount of carbonation was great which made the beer smooth in the mouth.

d - i cannot help but reiterate that i think this is one of the most balanced beers that i have had. which is what makes this beer very good. i feel that i could drink this beer for any occasion and probably put back more than one if they weren't so expensive. this is definitely a beer that everyone should try one in their life.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

This was from the brick (picked up in December 2012), so it had a year of age on it.

Appearance: Deep, dark brown (more of a dark copper). Creamy head that dissipates quickly. No Lacing.
Aroma: Apples, Brandy, Nutmeg, Fusel Alcohol, Pears, and Toffee.
Taste: Toffee and dried fruit, brandy and green apples. Figs and plums. Caramel and raisins. Booze, but just the right amount.
Feel: Thick, but not overly heavy or chewy. Slightly acidic feel with low carbonation. Can sip on this for days and wish it doesn't end.
Overall: A unique and wonderful beer. Very nice quad. The complexity is unreal. It almost transcends beer. Very good. Malheur 12 used to be my favorite, but no longer.

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

After taking a break from reviewing beers, I figured I'd get back on board with one of the "Crown Jewels" of this site. This was my reward after a 20 mile training run for my next marathon. The beer was sampled In De Vrede across the road from the Sint-Sixtusabdij...

Appearance: Brown in color, about a half inch off-white head that does dissipate relatively quickly, but leaves an impeccable lace on the glass. Ruby tones are brought out by the light.

Aroma: Very sweet smell, hints of caramel and the spiciness of the yeast. Alcohol comes through a bit, its volatility serves to bring out even more aromas (toffee, cherries, and slight smoke).

Flavor & Mouthfeel: Body is lighter than I've experienced for a quad (and that's a very good thing) and more bitter than typical of Belgians in general. Bitterness balances the malt and sweet caramel tastes. Again, cherries come through a bit in the taste, as well as a smoky, burnt toffee character.

Drinkability: For its strength (10.2%), it is remarkably drinkable, I could have sat there the rest of the day and had glass after glass to replenish lost calories from the run.

If you see this available where you are, grab it without hesitation. I recommend going to Belgium, though and experiencing it in its homeland (plus there's about 1000 other breweries to try beers from over there).

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

My 100th Review! Ah the memories. I've been holding off on reviews lately waiting for a good time to review this. I shared the bottle with two great friends of mine who went to meet the Belgians with me. We're finally settled into our house: just about everything is perfect and we're ready for an amazing year. I couldn't possibly think of a better way to start it: my escapades this weekend coupled with the drinking of a Westy 12 today? Divine. And yes, today was the end of the weekend.

Thanks so much to Filip and the rest of the Belgian Beer Board for this bottle.

Drank relatively warm: put it in the fridge for about 35 minutes to lightly chill it before drinking.

The sound of the cap popping off was so awesome. There's no other way to describe it. The moment it came off some huge dark fruit notes assaulted our nostrils in the best kind of way. My initial pour yielded a very generous head that threatened to spill out of my chimay glass. I waited a moment and then ever so slowly poured the rest of the bottle. My hands shook. So. Much. to live up to here. Poured a beautiful deep, dark mahogany to rival the coffee table we rested the bottle on. The head was a billowing tan-white thing that eventually settled to about an 1/8 inch cap over the beer. Lacing was spot on.

The only component of this beer that didn't blow my mind was the smell. From the bottle a heavenly aroma wafted towards our nostrils but once poured it was far more subdued and I had a hard time reconciling my initial perception with the one to follow. The smell of dark fruits: figs, plums, raisins were present. Additionally, some roasted nuts and Belgian yeast. One thing I didn't pick up on was any alcohol notes.

I couldn't dream up a more complex tasting beer. I only wish I had more Belgian Quads under my belt- the only ones of truly spent some time with are the Rochefort and St. Bernadus. Nonetheless, I detected a lot going on- big dark fruit notes...it's so hard to pick apart this flavor profile. That balance is beyond beautiful. It's perfect. Molasses, dates, caramel malt. Better than exceptional.

What I really noticed first and foremost with this beer was this: the mouthfeel was the most incredible of any beer I'd ever tasted. Drinkability, too, was absolutely off the charts. It's full bodied with a light dryness and perfectly rounded smoothness.

Here's to hundreds and hundreds more beers!

I need more. Please send.