Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,130
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

Big thanks goes to slater1313 for including this as an extra!
Cap reads 02 07 11
Smells of bourbon, raisins, dark fruits, honey, candi sugar and a phenol character. Tastes of fruit, honey and dark malts. The mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, tingles the tongue and finishes smooth. The sweetness, carbonation and alcohol warming character of this beer mend together perfectly. Drinkability is exceptional, I could enjoy this all night.

4.8/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle obtained in a trade with craytonic. Thanks man!

Also, my 35th review.

12 oz. bottle poured into Caracole tulip.

A: Pours a beautiful opaque-mahogany with a 3 finger mocha head that will not die; creamy head stays throughout the entire beer. I've never seen anything like this.

S: Fruit; this doesn't smell like beer at all. Fresh elderberry jam, black mission figs and a hint of heat. Quite possibly the most "delicious" smelling beer I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in front of.

T: Holy hell; it's all true. I think the closest thing I've ever had to this is St. Bernardus Abt. 12 in terms of flavor; sweet, fairly boozy, and heavy on the dark fruits. Caramel, brown sugar - this is just awesome.

M: Feels literally like silk on the tongue, with nice carbonation and a medium-thick viscosity.

D: I don't feel as if I'd be a proper BA if I was to give this a 5 for drinkability. Is it incredible? Yes, but it's also 10.2%, which of course means that it's quite sweet. Add to that the fact that drinking more than one of these is usually not an option for us state-siders, and it becomes clear that this is a rare treat more than anything else. Honestly, I wouldn't want it to be anything else.

Worth the hype; this will not be my last encounter with this beer. I will sleep well this evening.

Edit: Forgot to mention; gave my girlfriend the first sip. Her reaction?

"It's ok."

4.79/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this last night after having it sit in the cellar for quite a while now. Received it in a trade a few months ago and the best after date (to which I have been informed was three after it was bottled) had passed over a year ago, so I'm thinking this bottle was an '05.

Poured into a chalice and away we go.

Appearance: Dark orange-amber with huge amounts of sediment and floating yeasties and goodness. Nice head and lacing, but the yeastiness was the biggest surprise.

Smell: Holy cow, this is where the beer really picks up. Big notes on just so many different levels, the complexity is fantastic. Pour was still a little on the cool side, but as it warmed it smelled as fantastic as any beer I've ever smelled. Grapefruit, fig, anise, molasses, slight leather, caramel, and grape-raisin. Booze is a little present as well, but nothing too off-putting. Just excellent and complex, everything I had hoped for and more.

Taste: Wow, just keeps on coming. Fantastic dark fruits and licorice, with a slightly peppery alcohol that only really adds another dimension to the beer, in no way boozy. I can see where this beer probably was a bit sweeter a few years back, but it mellows beautifully. Part of the reason this beer is so loved I would have to feel is you can just tell it ages like a charm. Three tiers of taste, starting fruity, going more peppery, and finishing with a malty creaminess that is just awesome. Bravo.

Mouthfeel: Very nice, not too bitter in any way, and alcohol is more of a flavor than a harshness. Carbonation is still great after all these years too, and just works well.

Drinkability: I kept pulling it back and was saddened when it was gone. I have to say, when I had Bernardus 12 on tap a few times on tap, I really loved it, and this beer was everything it was and just a hint more. I don't know if I had them both aged to the same point what they would look like in comparison, but both are worthy and amazing beers. Worth its' post in the pantheon of great beers, this is for certain, and like everyone always says, I just wish I could grab this more regularly for a special occasion.

4.66/5  rDev +1.3%

Finally found a bottle of this stuff in the nearby liquor store for $7.99 - will it live up to all the hype?

Bottle cap date of 20.03.05 (I assume a "best by" date?)

Poured a dark brown color with a thin head that remained until I finished the beer. Very pretty foam remnants stick to my glass. Yeast remained in the bottom of the glass even after the pour.

Smell is of alcohol, coffee, esters and cherry - very nice, quite deep.

The taste? Quite complex (as hoped for and expected). Many different flavors as it continues to warm. At first I get plum and caramel with a definite alcoholic taste. Later on an almost milky coffee flavor (this surprised me). Then malty characteristics (more surprises!) Then ester tastes and more caramel. Finally, as I finished the glass, I was hit with a lemon-like flavor. Amazing.

Easy to drink because it's so good, but the large alcohol content definitely was getting to me. Not sure yet if it's worth the $7.99 for a 12 oz. bottle, but it's still pretty amazing.

4.77/5  rDev +3.7%

This is third time that I have had a Westy 12 and finally decided to review it.

Pulled one of the older vintages I have with best by date of March 2010 on the label. Although I have had this three times, I stil get a very special feeling when opening one.

Very interesting to read the reviews about the appearance of this beer. For the one I poured Sat night, it poured a chestnut brown with very little head being generated. These have been stored with great care; the other ones that I have sampled of fresher vintage produced a much greater head and lacing than this 3 year old sample.

S & T - What else can you add that has not already been said. I stil think this has a magnificent flavor profile. The three years have mellowed it some and made it a bit sweeter than I remember fresher vintages. Figs, prune, raison, and a delightfully sugary candy taste are all present. Truly an epic experience for your taste buds.

M - Maybe not as creamy as I remember the fresher versions. A little thinner than I remember but still delightful.

D - Here is where I think the 3 years has done well. No hints of booziness at all. Smooth as silk. Wonderul.

Stil a masterpiece. I have about 6 bottles of the gold still remaining. Another one won't come out until X-mas eve but I am looking forward to a couple of blondes (who isn't) this summer.