Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,164
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,235 | Reviews: 1,676

4.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been wanting to try this beer for years and have it on my list of must haves to try. Finally I got a bottle from the US release as a Christmas present to myself.

I'm glad to report there was nothing about this beer that fell short.

Snifter Glass at about 55 degree beer temp.

Appearance: A reddish purple hue and a tad bit cloudy. Nice head that stays around for the duration of the beer.

Smell; Raisins, plums, figs and some what yeasty.

Taste: Refer to smell yet with some complexity on the back end of the tongue. So much depth.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is retained and provides a great feel not over powering. Alcohol content is very well hidden.

Overall: It lives up to the hype and I'm so glad I had a chance to partake. It's a must try.

3.75/5  rDev -18.7%

4.86/5  rDev +5.4%

Before I say anything I want to put out a huge thanks to Martin (Goldorak) for this bottle. Very generous of you man.

Appearance – This beer pours a very cloudy brown color. There is a slight bit of maroon tinge to it as well. The head is virtually non existent besides a ring and a tiny bit of bubbly froth in the center of the beer.

Smell – I get all those nice dark fruit like dates, plums, and prunes big time. There is a very strong dark spiced rum aroma arising from this beer as well giving it an alcohol scent. Some yeast is detectable along with some brown sugar sweetness and spice. The complex combination of all these things makes this beer absolutely wonderful to sniff at again and again.

Taste – Up front this beer is extremely strong of sweet malts and that nice dark rum characteristic I smelled. The plums and raisins make themselves present with a caramel and brown sugar sweetness added on. Dark spiced rum flavors linger on strongly after a sip is taken. It’s wonderful.

Mouthfeel – Carbonation is very nice here. Nothing to complain about. The feel of this beer is almost silky…it has this nice subtle creaminess that I enjoy quite a bit.

Drinkability – Top Notch. It is so easy to drink despite the high alcohol content and robust flavor. This beer would not have lasted long if I didn’t show restraint to enjoy it.

For me it lived up to the hype. I must say this is among the best beers I’ve ever had. The only downer is that it did not look amazing which is not that important.

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%

Davey shared this bottle with me when we drank my Westy 8. Poured into goblet a still, murky, yeasty, brown with no head. Smelled of dark fruit, brandy. Taste of dark fruit as well, raisin, cherry, fig, a little warm, in the finish. This was pretty fizzy in the mouth which surprised me as it didn't look very carbonated when I poured it. Amazing beer and I'm glad I was able to sample this.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Friend of mine brought me a few of these back from Belgium at my begging.

Pours a deep ruby shade of brown with a nice head that dissipates before too long. Smells of sweet malts, dark fruits, spices with slight mint and clove. It begins to flesh out as it warms. The taste is phenomenal. it's incredibly full and seems to put every taste receptor and area of the tongue on overload. Mouth tingling. At first it's all spice and sweet dark fruits. Raisins, plums, black cherries, some slight earth and rum. Then there's a nice gentle hop twang and then the spice really gets going and completely overwhelms me in the finish. Blackpepper, clove, coriander and faint mint. A bit phenolic. As I swallow my tongue begins to water and tingle all over. Owned thorougly. The taste lingers in my mouth and nasal passages. Truly remarkable. The body is medium and the carbonation too, but it coats the mouth beautifully and conceals the alcohol like a master thief.

Fantastic.

pristine condition, cap said oct 08 as the brew or bottle date. stunner of a nose. best i've ever had. warm it was very silky, satin, smooth ect ect. great balance, acidity, woodsy. super finish. cooled down a bit more chocolate came out but the best milk chocolate you could ever imagine, with muddled fruits. super finish. could drink this all day every day. lives up to the hype and the best beer i've ever had.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

4.49/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +2%

Obtained in trade with ManekiNeko. Thanks.

App: Beatiful Chesnut brown with thick white head with some lacing.

Smell: Piney, phenolic, and fruity with a tinge of alcohol. Caramel and honey there as well.

Taste: Deep and rich. Nicely malty, and spicy. Alcohol is defintely there but not overwhelming. Very nutty semi-dry finish with slight bitterness.

Mouth: Thick and smooth. Perfect carb.

Overall: Obviously this is amazing. I found that the alcohol provided a great dimension to the taste overall whereas I thought it overpowered the Rochfort 10. This is what every beer wants to be when it grows up.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.