Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,947
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

alltakn, Jul 14, 2013
4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

11.2oz bottle dated best before April 2, 2007

I poured this gem into a tulip glass and it produced a wonderful off white head with tight carbonation. It is deep reddish brown and cloudy with yeast particles floating around. The head drops down to about a 1/4" from a 1 1/2". A small head remains through the rest of the beer and leaves a little bit of lacing.

The first smell is of strong Belgian yeast and dark fermented fruits. Plums and cherries seem to accent the sweet smell coming from this anticipated beer. Alcohol also seems to be in the aroma.

My first taste of the beer is complex and hard to describe: Dark malts, chocolate, espresso, and a grainy cherry. Also an unexpected dry grassy, bitterness at the end. The alcohol is very well hidden in this fabled beer. This is a very creamy tasting beer

The mouthfeel is nice and full. It coats your tongue like a fine wine. This is a very creamy tasting beer. Also the carbonation is wonderful. The drinkability of this beer is excellent for something with such a high abv. I hate to say this, but I like the Westvleteren 8 a little better than the 12. That said, this is truly one of the best beers in the world.

ddarden, Jul 10, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Presentation: 33cl bottle, poured into my 12oz chalice

Appearance - very dark brown, with a long lasting fluffy tan head.

I wouldn't say anything about the aroma and taste that a hundred others haven't already said, so I'll dispense with that, other than to say that it truly is an incredible flavor. But I do want to say how incredibly drinkable this beer is. I was amazed at how little alcohol presence this beer had. It was so smooth and so easy to drink. The alcohol warmed the back of my throat a bit, but that didn't last.

I tried very hard not to let the status of this beer influence my rating, and I feel as though I've succeeded. I didn't expect the beer to be the best I've ever had, I just expected it to be good, and I wasn't disappointed. I will have to say that at this point, Westvleteren 12 is my favorite beer. I won't go so far as to say it's the best in the world, just my favorite, which makes sense as this style is my current favorite. But that doesn't mean it will always be.

This is a truly exceptional beer, regardless of its status.

jdoolin, Jun 22, 2006

mousebeer, Jul 31, 2014
4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

josvemden, Oct 19, 2014
4.6/5  rDev -0.2%

The color is deep mahogany with a fine, palamino-colored head which dissipates to lacy remnants fairly soon.

The nose is somewhat restrained, but it contains sugar, oranges, banana, and croissants.

The palate is smooth with an abundance of flavor. I get toffee, brown sugar, banana, nutmeg, chocolate, quinine and fresh grapes.

The finish is long. The bitterness, reminiscent of quinine or campari, becomes slightly more prominent as the sip of beer fades. It does not, however, overexpress itself.

This beer has extraordinary balance and complexity. It does not hit you over the head; it just states itself perfectly with nothing out of place. I equate it with Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame.

fingolfin72, Sep 23, 2004

IrishKevin, Jun 20, 2013

omegagogetass4, Oct 01, 2014

Tconroy, May 29, 2014
4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A big thank you to Mike from Quotations who GAVE us a bottle to ush in the New Year.... 2009 edition.

Shared with some of my lifelong friends in goblets...

A - handsome deep ruby, clear until the bottle became slighlty disturbed which led to some magical yeasty chunks. No head, thick, no lacing. (new sample had a monster head with heavy lacing)

S - caramel, raisiny, figs, slightly winey yet sweet (new sample - not winey)

T - sweet caramel, slight winey sour - just like the aroma. In my mind I was trying to compare this against a Rochefort 10 or SB12, but this was way different. (new sample did not have any sourness)

M - smooth, syrupy, low carbonation, but left a tingling on my tongue.

D - wish I could have more, will call this drinkable, availability is a slight problem, but very drinkable.

I was very excited to share this with my bests... Great beer - yes, best in the world - no, at least not this sample. Would like to assess this further with more samples.

UPDATE: Freshie from Belgium (thanks Riggsy), and much, much better. The mouthfeel, much much more in the line of what was expected!

Forgive spelling/grammar - from my iPhone.

djeffbee, Jan 01, 2010