Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,455
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,734 | Hads: 5,678
4.33/5  rDev -6.1%

Watched Star Wars III, I did. Review this beer, I will.

Nice ruby to dark brown, with slight off-white head. Head retention very long, lasting. Leaves a thick lace in the goblet style glass. Domination of malt, with various degrees of raisin, chocalot, caramel, and toffee flavoring. Thee aroma of fruit, spice, caramel and plums almost bready, hinting to a wonderful ambrosial nose. Finishing with a pleasant acidity, helping the alcohol grab your palate and making it beg for more, yes please more. The lingering aftertaste sooths the churn for the pleasantness to never relieve your palate. With the flavoring, lasting aroma, pleasant finish making this beer one for the all day marathon of pleasure. Alas the alcohol could cut it short if not carefull. Although the cap date reading 26.11.05 forgive thyne ignorance knowing not how to interpret the date. Beer exceptional yes.

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

The elusive white whale, Westy 12 at last. Thanks go to LuckySevens82 and goodbyeohio for providing the oppurtunity to a friend and I.

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this brew, the hype is so gigantic it was difficult to not let that affect my judgements, but after a bit of contemplation, it wasn't too difficult.

Pours a murky ruby tinged brown with a very thick and frothy head that head excellent retention. (I got some on my nose! "It's how we do it in Belgium" afterall) Nose is incredibly complex. Very malty, an almost brown sugar like sweetness accompanied by an overt amount of fruit notes, plums, apricots, cherries, figs and other that are much more difficult to pick out. First sip was pretty amazing, very silky smooth and utterly balanced, only a slight bit of bitterness that played well against the malty sweetness. There is just plain a lot going on here, tartness, sweetness, bitterness and all well balanced. This beer is certainly a true masterpiece. Honestly though, it's not so much better than similar beers that I wasn't entirely as blown away as I half expected to be, it is certainly deserving of the praise it gets, but not so overtly so. Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy and buttery, but again, not overly so; quite perfect. Alcohol was nearly non-existant, beautiful. Drinkability was excellent, I had no problem drinking the whole lot and ended up wanting a bit more to boot.

Overall I enjoyed this quite a bit and I'll squirrel away my remaining bottle for a special treat someday in the future. This is certainly a gem worthy of note and well worth a try.

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle cap stamped 21/12/02

A decanted pour reveals a crystal clear rich mahogany brown with a dense head which lingers a bit and then settles down to a fine layer atop the beer.

Aroma is magnificent- I could be happy just smelling this all night. A combination of rich maltiness, dark caramel, dried fruits and roasty cocoa all add up to one singular presence, as these characteristics play off of each other quite sympathetically. Just underneath is a bready/yeasty quality. At 10.8% (per the cap) the alcohol is bound to show itself but it is faint and you really have to search it out.

Dark caramel maltiness dominates the palate, with a not so insignificant clean bitterness coming in second. A distant third and fourth are the alcohol and fruity/bready notes. It is quite nice, but just can't match that magnificent nose.

Helluva beer- no question. I am reviewing such an old sample to let other consumers know that they may indeed be trustworthy- I have had at least four with this date stamp recently and they have all been remarkable. If I should ever have an opportunity to sample a fresher bottle I will not hesitate to re-review.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

I've had a few of these put away, so today (MAY DAY!) I finally popped one. Pours a deep dark ruby black, with only a table of head that did leave lace on the glass after each sip. Smells like a spicy plum candy, some cinnamon sprinkled prunes, yet without a heavy sweetness. Taste is so velvety smooth, complex combination of dark fruits, slight sucrose, and peppery spices. Is this a big beer? While there is the faint hint of alcohol, this beer is amazingly quaffable. This is the beer to convert your faux-wine-loving friends to come back to barley. Mouthfeel is medium full with just enough carbonation to keep it from being a sweet old ale or barleywine.

Surprisingly, this beer is not overpoweringly "Belgian" meaning that it lacks that dominating Belgian yeast smell and flavor. They're there to be sure, but it takes a back seat to everything else going on. There are only a few beers that deserve such high praise. These beers could easily become an addiction. Luckily, this one costs about US$8.29 for a 330ml bottle. So, unless I start selling off the wife's basket collection, I'll keep this beer to about one a month.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Just about perfect across the board. Poured (sadly) into an Orval chalice with very small head and a murky brown color. Smell is very aromatic, like raisins and candied fruit with not one trace of alcohol. Taste explodes in your mouth. First is of sweet fruits like apricots and plums. Next has more carbonation but a similar candied taste. End taste is just as sweet, like a sugar drink trickling down your throat. Not a hint of alcohol in the entire thing--remarkable. I can see why this one is always rated #1.

4.04/5  rDev -12.4%

At long last I was finally able to snag the great Westy 12,pours a deep brown with a suprisingly thin head that was gone pretty quickly not leaving anything behind.Whoa the aromas are just incredibly complex and rich,some almond and raisin almost a cinnamon bun type aroma to it,just awesome.Flavors are more mellow than expected,I get some star anice and raisin up front with some mellow orange tinge in the lngering finish.I like the "12"better than the "8" but I have had some better Quads but still a pleasure to drink for sure.

Cap read 26.10.07.

Trappest Wesvleteren 12.
What can I say? I was seeking this beer ever since I first started reading reviews on this site. I figured, search for the best... then drink the rest. I was hoping that my taste buds would over time mature enough to taste this beer. Well, I don't know if the tastebuds are mature enough, but I just could not wait any longer.

Placed it in my fridge and when it was cold enough I took it and poured it into a goblet. Poured a dark ruby - brown, with a finger foam head that lingered slightly. The beer smelt sweet but nothing note worthy. Took a sip... Dark coffee taste hits immediately. But once again nothing note worthy. So I then let it sit.

GOOD MOVE. Once the beer started warming up, you could smell the aroma of sweet fruits and chocolate.

Also, I found that as the beer warmed, the more viscous it became. When cold, it was watery, but as it warmed it became more syryp like. Liquid butter. The taste was much different as well. It became much fruity with hints of chocolate and coffee. The finish was a slow alcohol burn that soothed the throat.

AHHH the smell I just can't get over the smell. I'm sniffing the damn bottle.

I find this to be the best beer I've ever had. PERIOD. Rochefort 10 is a good alternative if you cannot find this beer. Worth the money I paid for it. I still got one bottle. So tempted to drink.. MY PRECIOUS.

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

01-07-06. This beer looked and smelled great as was expected making waiting to warm and drink it very difficult. It poured with some life leaving a small but fragrant head and a dark brown root beer color. This is the best beer I have ever had. It is so good that it acts like several beers. First you have the high alcohol, sweet honey, maple like a trappist or abbey ale, then you have the lasting alcohol burn of a barley wine, then you have the crisp clean thirst quenching finish that makes it thoroughly satisfying and wanting more. Silky, rich with a panoply of flavors that linger on your palate. Even with a piece of pungent English stilton, westy 10 compliments it well and cuts right through it. Get it at Jackson Wine and Spirits.

4.71/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance:This poured a cloudy caramel, moderate bubbles rising to the top, with a rich tan head that dissipated after a few minutes but left broken lace all the way through.

Smell: aroma of apple now&later's, dark fruits.

Taste: apples,malts, complex fruits, alcohol bite that mellows.

Mouthfeel:medium body, bit of creaminess, alcohol warmth, slight chewiness.

Drinkability: Is fantastic! this IS world class! but High abv, sippin beer for sure! but it's just a rare treat, to sit, sip, and savor this, simply great stuff!

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

From a fresh bottle brought from Belgium. Believe the hype... it's real! And please don't drink this right out of the fridge, it needs to come to around 55F to really shine.

A densely creamy tan head rests lazily atop a hazy, dark russett body (carefully poured from a longstanding bottle it's a clear ruby with orange highlights - but add the yeast later on!). Eventually the head receeds, but it's somehow able to hold a thin but completely solid cap throughout the entire beer. And initially, it leaves solid walls of thin lace that fade to become sheets of tiny spots towards the end of the chalice. And that's no easy feat given its 10.2% abv! The nose offers honeyish, nutty, cocoaish (Ovaltine...?), bready, and caramel drenched malt as well as a bit of hard candy and some chewy fruit (raisins, berries). It's velvety smooth across the palate with a full, dextrinous body and exceptionally fine, natural carbonation. The flavor is even more exquisite than the nose implies, and includes notes of soft anise, lemon rind, a touch of leather, some delicate bubblegum, and a mild floral character that really helps to round it out. They yeast is incredibly important as well, as it gives it depth and rounds it out; and it should be poured even with an aged bottle. Finally, one of the things that makes the Westy 12 such a stunning beer is that it's so soft and supple considering it's such a behemoth. The alcohol is barely noticeable, and when it does appear in the flavor it only helps by lending a "spicy" character. And despite the amount of character it has, it's actually not as malty as a doppelbock. It's lighter, and it finishes semi-dry with more spiciness and yeastiness than sweet malt that might build on the palate... giving it a really great drinkability. Impressive, to say the least, this is a brilliant beer because it's big enough to deliver a great richness and lots of complexity, but also incredibly well-balanced enough that it really leaves you wanting more!

4.3/5  rDev -6.7%

330 ml bottle, bought at Pivni Galerie, Prague. Hazy dark reddish brown colour, enormous tan head. Lovely complex aroma of fruits, oak, leather and spices. Flavour is surprisingly bitter - hops of course, but also dead yeast cells? Leaves a not entirely pleasant bitter aftertaste on the back of my tongue. Elements of oak, caramel, toffee and spices. Warming mouthfeel, as expected. I much preferred the Rochefort 10 to this one.

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

At long last, I came upon this famous brew. Fate conspired one day to bring this sacred beer to me...and, lo, I did keep it at a cool temperature until special occasions dictated a special beer.

Although, it should be noted. This beer is its own special occasion.

Beautiful but thin white head with some lacing on the glass. Smell was heavenly. Full-tasting and complex.

I think, to be honest, I liked the Rochefort 10 over this one. But this is excellent.

It is also very strong. My ears are flushed and radiating heat. Droplets of sweat are on my bald head..but, oh, this is divine.

4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

We went through hell to get this, fortunately it was worth the effort. Pours a dark cloudy red brown with a tan head that looks amazing, but doesn't look as amazing as I thought, still exceptional. Aroma was almost wine-like, with dark fruits and a strong breadiness, very good, but still not the best I have smelt. Taste is amazingly all over the map, sweet dark fruits first, malty middle, long hoppy finish, very, very complex, every sip was slightly different. Velvetty smooth mouthfeel, without a hint of alcohol. This beer is exceptional and definitely world-class, but I had one better than it so far. Next stop, the Dark Lord...

4.87/5  rDev +5.6%

The myth, the legend, Westy 12. Two things complicate reviewing this beer. Both involve the fact that it is hard to get and has a great reputation. Nothing can live up to the legend. At the same time, you want to like this beer because you went through such a hard time to get it.

Poured into a tulip glass with a nice head. Went down into a nice lace that stayed throughout. Dark, but not black as night dark.

Smell is wonderful. You can smell the Belgian yeast esters in a very wonderful way. Hints of candi sugar as well?

Taste is nice and smooth. Belgian yeast esters blend in a way which makes for a smooth, but not overpowering taste. Bananas and cloves seem are present in the taste. I think I'm tasting residual candi sugar as well.

Nice carbonation levels with a good mouthfeel.

Update: Got my hands on a better handled version. Dear me. Wonderful taste. Plums and chocolate.
Exceptionally drinkable for a 10.2%.

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

I've waited a long time for this legend. The weekend of the EBF seemed as good a time as any to finally crack it open, to parallel the enjoyment my roommates were likely having hundreds of miles away in Boston.

It poured a dark, chocolatey brown with a coke fizz-colored head. Innumerable small puffs of sediment were suspended throughout, adding to the murky mystery as the head quickly backed into a stiff, 1/2 finger ring of bubbly lace clinging to the glass.

The aroma is rich, deep, and a touch phenolic, with a soft, malty sweetness peppered by anise and other spices and alcoholic warmth surrounding it all.

One taste and its easy to see why this beer is considered the best of BA. The flavors are big, warm, and smooth, softly melding the high alcohol content into a tremendous malt profile full of myriad flavors. Figs, cloves, rum-soaked raisins, anise, and caramel intertwine with a bready, sweet roll-like backbone, leaving the tongue with an almost milk chocolate-like texture sensation.

Bubbles flutter and bite throughout this beer, adding texture to the perfect, velvet-smooth feel of this brew on the palate.

It's hard to believe that a beer is this good. Despite my high expectations, this has been everything I expected and more, worth every penny of its high purchase price.

So complex. So smooth. So delicious.

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Recently returned to the states after spending 5 glorious years living in Europe. Visited all 6 of the Trappist breweries while there and Westvleteren was definitely the best.

The monastery is not open to the public except to purchase beer. The day we visited even that was closed so we visited the Cafe De Vrede across the street. Tried all three beers with some of the breweries cheese but the 12 stood out. It's definitely the best beer I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

It pours a deep rich copper brown with a light brown head. The aroma was beyond description. Deserves a higher rating than just a 5.0. Caramel, plum, raisins and possibly vanilla combined to mask the high alcohol content. Definitley the most drinkable high alcohol beer I've tasted. Had I not had a 3 hour drive ahead of me I would have been there all day.

To make this beer lovers dream complete, I had an ice cream sundae topped with a beer sauce made from the 12. Beer and ice cream may not sound tempting to everyone but it was unbelievable! I will never forget this experience and will definitely return to St. Sixtus.

After 10 more years of beer experience under my belt, I thought it only proper to edit my review as I was definitely in awe of the moment when I first reviewed this.
Picked this up from the Abbey back in 2010. It's been resting in my cellar ever since. Bottle cap date of 22.09.13. Murky mahogany brown pour with a quickly fading one finger head with virtually no lacing. Molasses and dark fruit, specifically raisins, dominate the nose. Hints of toffee, brown sugar, and subtle cocoa. The taste follows suit with dark fruits dominating along with hints of vanilla, brown bread, cocoa, toffee, Port wine, and cloves. The mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy with light carbonation, subtle sweetness, and huge drinkability considering the ABV. Overall, while this is definitely a world class beer, I was obviously overrating it on my initial review considering I gave it all 5's. This new review is much more objective.

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Happy birthday to clvand0 with the drinking of this beer. Although it was a few days ago, I still can't get this one out of my head. The beer poured a beautiful dark brown color with a 2 finger head that barely falls at all. The lace is almost solid around the top of the chalice as I drank the beer down. The nose was very fruity, with lots of sweet fig tones, and an almost appley, crisp aroma. There is a nice spiceyness as it warms as well. The flavor is awesome. Very mellow, wtih a spiceyness and an alcohol burst that play very well together. The flavor moves into the fig, and slightly bready notes, but also with a touch bitter on the finish. The feel was smooth, slightly creamy and moderate to thick. Just a nice beer. I didn't want to put the glass down with this beer. This is definately a world class beer. Thanks to SheepNutz for trading this to me before I knew what a treat it was. What a show of advocacy.

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Wide mouth goblet pour, dim brown ruddy, pour with yeasty suspended pour capped off with wafer thin sporadic bubbled coating. A 1/8” thin ring collar around the rim. Foaminess is easily arisen with a few healthy swirls.

Syrupy sweet awl-kee-hawl sugars. Maple syrup hints. Dark raisins and figs nose. Plenty of dark fruit aroma. Rarely does a nose display so much pageantry. Molasses and candied fruit. Fig most prominent. Caramel Kraft cube creamy.

First Swigs: Candied Fruit Caramel apple, light rum. Palateable awl-kee-hawl flavors. Canoli in a cup, yeasty sugars, Dole fruit cup, cherry & vanilla ice cream, meets sweet vanilla extract. Dry lingering malt.

Light body for the style yet complex.Sudsy, but not overly foamy.

Last Swigs: Crème brulet. Similar to 8 but boosted. Candied fruit nose. A quad??? Really??? Just awesome. My Christmas present to me.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

Done in a vertical X-mas Day tasting as a special treat from my beerbud! Thanks to the BlitheringIdiot for the Westy 6,8, and 12 that we shared for a Christmas day celebration!

Deep rootbeery brown, with a ton of teensy little khaki bubbled carbination. Beautiful swirling going on up top, nice! You can see a lot of carbination rising up past the yeasty chunks. Scents of dark fruits, alcohol, sherry, buttery sugar and kraft's caramel cubes. Tastes of coconut macaroon, cherries and dark fruits. The Blithering one said that he tastes vanilla ice cream, yep. Much sweeter than the others, yet not cloying, just caramelly and warm sherry. Very good mouthfeel. The carbination rolls all over your mouth, froths up just a bit. Smooth and flowing. Wonderful.

Each of the Westys we had became progressively better to me, and this is definately my favorite over the 6 and 8. This one is damn nice.

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

Ive been wanting to try this for ages-thanks to axisjones and Secret Santa I am now able to. Pours a hazy brown color-not cloudy but "muddy" in color. Nice yeasty aroma. Black currants,slight vanilla and raiseny. Malty flavor upfront-nice caramel sweetness,somewhat sugary. Earthy. Theres a spiciness in the finish from the alcohol-reminds me of how horseradish hits the sinuses. Excellent body. An extremely drinkable beer-doesnt have any of the intangibles that I find in some Belgians. Really a classic.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

33 cl unlabeled bottle; cap dated best before 5/13/2006. Pours a deep coppery brown with a fluffy light tan head. Caramel and apple aromas with some healthy yeast notes. Sipping is the true measure of this beer. Mostly malty and sweet, however there is the most intriguing floweriness in the finish, like a blossom. Appley esters come into play a lot and work well to hide the alcohol. Good mouthfeel, not too sticky like other quadruples. Overall, a wholly excellent brew that is quite elusive to many. It's worth the effort to seek it out.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

sat. 11/27/04 at Kuhnhenns with bierisgut and clark v v from rate beer,who brought this wonderful bottle to share. redmosquito and one of the kuhnhenn brothers where at the table to. poured a rich brown with a light tan head.aroma got a nice hit of alcohol, than came the malts, caramels, honey, cherry, and some apple. flavor, didn’t want to swallow this , the creamy smoothness of this beer was great. got malts, caramel alcohol, honey, raisins, chocolate or maybe chocolate covered raisins.this is only the 3rd bottle I have seen I know bierisgut has got one so maybe in the middle of the night under the cover of darkness I’ll see if I can get it.

4.42/5  rDev -4.1%

Coppery amber in color with an off white head and a little cloudy yeast sediment. Interesting aroma, definite alcohol smell, then a wine like aroma, oakey yet it still has some creamy malt fragrance. Alcohol warms as I taste this, malt sweetness dominates, nutty, caramelly, and creamy vanilla in the finish. The beer sits on the tongue and lingers with a warm malt creaminess. This is a great beer, the only thing keeping this from being a daily beer is the availability.

4.89/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a stunning hazy brown with a frothy head. Smells very sweet and caramelly. Malty upfront with a nice floral hoppy back. Now for the taste. I also love wine, and this is almost a wine to me, except far surpassing any wine I've ever had. Tastes so complex and smooth, and fruity, and malty, and sweet, and hoppy, and bready, and so, so much more. This is a beer words cannot describe. This is one of my first attempt's at trappist beer, and I must say I've never been more impressed with a beer. This is beer perfection. This is beer paradise. This is beer bliss. This is beer. Period.

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

I had this first about a year or so ago when I was really starting to get into craft beers. I decided to wait a while though before I tried it again as it had so much going on I couldn’t appreciate it all. Bottle is dated with 07-09-04, so I will have to pick up a few to age. This poured out a murky brown with a tall light tan head that filled the goblet. There were some floaties that could be seen occasionally and the beer coated the glass in rings of lace. The head managed to stay afloat till the end, which was impressive. Aroma is very fruity with raisins and other dark fruit. It was quite sweet and spicy as well with a touch of yeast. The taste starts of with a strong fruity sweetness before a good bit of spice comes through to even things out a bit. Earthiness is also in full swing here adding a touch of bitterness before the spicy sweet after taste. Wow there is just so much going on here I feel like I am still missing out on plenty. Mouthfeel is full and creamy with good carbonation. This bottle went down easily but I would be reluctant to grab another right after, not sure why but one was plenty. Amazing beer that everyone should get a chance to try.