Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,025
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Big, big thanks to Jon for including this as an EXTRA in our most recent trade!

Pours with a 1 1/2 finger white head on top of a nice dark brown/purplish/redish body.

The smell is amazing, with sweet dark fruits dominating the nose.

The taste is much more complex, chocolate upfront, dark fruits in the mid-palate, and belgian yeast with smoke taking over the finish. Great beer to sip slowly, each taste is different.

On the whole, a beer I was super excited to try, and the quality lived up to the hype.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.99/5  rDev +8.2%

Bought the brick from a binny's in Chicago

A: Appearance is almost a flawless dark deep hazy brown, very appealing

S: Fantastic, you've never smelled beer like this. Smell is similar to red-wine, a lot of dark fruit, fig, date, and a hint of booze. My description couldn't give it justice.

T: This beer will not blow you away. It is not extreme or striking, but It is masterfully balanced. You get all the right flavors in the right order, with the wonderful yeast derived flavors piloting the ship the whole time while maintaining a very drinkable character.

M: Again balance like no other. Very full mouthfeel with a slight boozy trail leading into a very surprisingly clean and crisp finish. Interesting for a quad.

O: This beer succeeds where Rochefort 10 fails. 10 is a very good beer but can be a bit messy at times in the taste and feel department. But this beer fails at its whalez status. I could session this beer alll day.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.94/5  rDev +7.2%

The infamous.

Pours a dark brown fig color with a one finger off white milk curd color head. The bubbles speak to you as they settle and pop. It's funny how much attention we give to appearance, aroma, and flavor. The sound of the bubbles mid-symphony in a quiet room transports me to the abbey where these monks brew this beer and I imagine how it must transform the atmosphere of there silent fortress.

The aroma tells a story of typical quad nuances. Milk chocolate, burnt fig, sweet date, and a hint of fresh tobacco. The flavor speaks of the same subject but with roller coaster flavor spikes and a semi-sweet yet balanced finish. The vinous notes play wonderfully with the dark malt spirit while the hops balance out the sweetness to create a marvelously crafted beer.

Dark bread, fig paste, vanilla bean, tart cherry, green tobacco with fire on its heels converging on smoke. Those are the prominent characters in this novel of creation via traditional yet soulfully transcending ways. A delightful voyage to say the least.

4.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz. bottle (Shelton Bros. import) poured into a chalice at a beer bar.

It has been a while since I last reviewed a beer on here, but since this has been one of my holy grails for many years, I figure I ought to review now that I've finally tried it.

Poured a dark brown color with minimal bubbly head. Aroma of dark malts, and the tiniest hint of fruit. Taste was similar, with perhaps even less fruits, but the sweetness was balanced, I thought. Nice, solid mouthfeel.

The first time I had St. Bernardus 12 (per my review here), I enjoyed it but didn't think it was great (it is a bit more dry and less fruity than Rochefort 10) - my like it it has grown very much over the years, and to be honest, I doubt that I could tell the difference between the two if I couldn't see the bottle. Until I manage to do a side-by-side of Westy 12 and Bernardus 12, I'll side with the assertions that these are effectively the same beer.

While an excellent beer, I have no interest in trying this again until I manage to visit the brewery. For the outrageous price of $40, I could have enjoyed the same experience with a bottle of St. Bernardus 12 six times over...