Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,782
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
drush1980

katiska

07-16-2012 00:14:36 | More by katiska
bamadog

Kentucky

OK, I've been sitting on this one for a couple of years now, and I figured that the beer isn't doing me any good collecting dust. Enjoying this beer for my 800th review here on BA. Review is from notes taken on 7/15/2012. Poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pours as a Quad should -- rich and dark, caramel brown with some deep ruby hues where the light comes through; starts with a big, full 2 finger off-white/light tan head that sticks around for a moment or two and fades to a full and frothy cap; body is dark, but it's moderately clear and free of sediment;

Smell: Full of rich, dark and very ripe fruit -- smells of figs, dates, raisins; some nice and sweet caramel malts in the back; definite alcoholic and vaporous whiff to it, but it's well blended and not burning the nostrils at all.

Taste: Meh, I've had better. Just kidding. I can see this beer is as hyped as it is, and it earns every bit of it. Part of me thinks that it could be a matter of the rarity or the rave reviews it has received over the years that are tainting my thoughts, but it's absolutely fantastic. Very sweet and full of the dark and ripe fruits as mentioned in the nose; it has a touch of some Belgian spiciness to it, and a nice bready and yeasty flavor; alcohol is present, well blended, but making a strong appearance nonetheless; some sweet caramel malt falls on the tongue after the booze burns off.

Mouthfeel: This beer just seems to keep getting better as I go... The body is full, chewy, but not heavy -- very sticky on the palate; the carbonation is full and lush, leaves the gums very tingly; the alcoholic vapor adds to the tingle on the gums, and it warms the belly.

Overall: Worth the wait and the Dark Lord that I traded to get it. Stands out from other Quads in quality and mouthfeel, well balanced and amazing. I would drink this beer everyday if I could, and that's not easy for me to say about Quads because I sometimes find that they weigh me down. I would be willing to sacrifice my body to the beer-bellied gods to have this frequently.

07-15-2012 23:55:12 | More by bamadog
KTien

07-15-2012 16:44:01 | More by KTien
jegross2

4.26/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reviewing the Trappist Westvleteren 12 (aka Westy 12) from the monks of Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) out of Belgium.

Score: 93

Unknown vintage bottle (the dates were rubbed off on the cap). Served in a snifter glass and enjoyed on 06/23/12 at the inaugural Chicago craft beer lovers meeting. Huge thanks to Robbie Moy for sharing this one with me. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Pours a murky caramel color with a thin layer of tan bubbly head. 4/5

Smell: Sweet and fruity. Sugary caramel, berries, blueberries, plum, brandy, raisins, and bready clove too. 4.5/5

Taste: Exactly like it smells, with a lingering fruitiness. 4.25/5

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied, low carbonation. Juice-like mouthfeel. Fruity, dry finish. 4/5

Overall: All-in-all, I enjoyed this one. However, I did not think that it lived up to its lofty hype as one of the world's best beers. I am told that this one is best aged, but I also had a 2009 bottle at Dark Lord Day this year that I was not overly impressed with either (although in all fairness, that other bottle had been sitting open on a table for several hours before I got a chance to try it). I personally liked Westy 8 better, but I will have to try to age the bottle I have for several years to see if my opinion of this brew changes with time.

Recommendation: While an excellent beer, it's not quite worth it's trade weight. Nonetheless, it is a delicious beer that is worth drinking if you get the chance to sample this beer.

Pairings: Banana bread.

Cost: $85 for a "brick" that comes with six 12 oz bottles and two Westy 12 glasses.

07-14-2012 16:05:52 | More by jegross2
1Adam12

Indiana

07-13-2012 17:14:26 | More by 1Adam12
ADTaber

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +1.3%

33cl btl poured into a goblet, shared with KevinmusPrime, reviewed from notes

A: pours a muddy brown with a thin cream colored head with fairly good retention that leaves some spotty lacing

S: loaded with dark fruits  and molasses but not overly sweet, quite complex aroma

T: similar to smell, packed with dark fruits, a hint of molasses/brown sugar but really not very sweet, a hint of spiciness from the Belgian yeast

M: medium body, fairly low carbonation, quite smooth

O:   Definitely the best Quad I've had thus far, tasted side by side with Rochefort 10 and this was by far the better beer

07-13-2012 16:05:55 | More by ADTaber

07-07-2012 09:14:18 | More by visionthing
mgp2675

4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

Third time having a Westy, thought it was time to review it. Cap date: 18.01.15

A- Dark brown, a bit cloudy but too dark to be completely translucent anyway, big light-colored head as always.

S- Raisin, plum, fig, has that classic grape aroma that I always get from traditional quads, slightly sweet, some malt, a little bit of alcohol burn on the nose.

T- Tons of raisins, although most of the other fruit flavors I mentioned come through as well. It's so bitter at first but it finishes off sweet, very well balanced between the two. As it got warmer it got more bitter, which is a characteristic I don't recall from prior tastings, I remember it being much more sweet. Also not as smooth as I remember, much more alcohol presence.

M- A whole lot of bubbles on your tongue to help it go down, nice amount of carbonation and a great mouthfeel.

O- Awesome beer, without a doubt one of the best quads in the world, but this is the freshest I've ever had the pleasure of drinking (about 5 months old) and I have to say, older vintages tasted much better. I think this needs some time to cool off and age, it had much more of an alcohol presence than I remembered. I have a good amount of this tucked away and I plan to try one each year to see the difference. I still say though that this is worth the hype and if you like quads you should track one down.

07-06-2012 14:07:28 | More by mgp2675
BrianBoruma

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

Serving 12oz bottle review typed from notes.

So I got this from my father whose friends went abroad and brought him back a 6 pack of this from a Dutch beer store. Why they heck they didn't keep any of it for themselves defies explanation. But I was blessed to split a bottle of this with my father to celebrate my graduation from my masters degree program.

Poured into a Chimay glass:

Appearance: Dark brown with ruby highlights and thicky creamy head. Slightly cloudy and decent lacing on the glass as the beer was consumed.

Smell: Definite alcohol aromas present. Smells of coffee and toffee, proably from malt and sugar mingle with aromas of figs and raisins likely yeast esters. Could smell this all night.

Taste: Definite yeast characteristics dominate. Fruity and malty and some alcohol present as well, but not overpoweringly and works with the malt and sugar present, slight cocoa and nutty notes.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with a dry finish. Definite prickles from carbonation.

Overall: Wonderfully complex with a lot of layers. Definitely a beer that is enjoyable young but will age well. One that should be shared with good friends or company, with people who appreciate good beer. Had a wonderful warm belly feeling after sharing half of this.

07-05-2012 06:59:17 | More by BrianBoruma