Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,838
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
nsheehan

08-13-2012 23:27:10 | More by Happyhopper
sukwonee

Washington

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Dark brown body with a huge head (over 3 fingers) that retains forever. Lots of lacing.

S: Caramel, malt, dark fruits, brown sugar

T: To be honest with you, I don't think I will be able to distinguish this from Rochefort 12 or Pannepot. All three are excellent Quads. Maybe Westy was sweeter than the two... but really that's about it (from my memory anyway). I would love to do a side-by-side to see if I can tell them apart. With that said, this is a world-class beer. Dark fruits, huge caramel, some booziness, some chocolate note, very sweet but it covers the alcohol fairly well.

M: Extreme smoothness. This is where this beer really shines, imo. Slightly hot from the alcohol burn.

O: I am glad I finally get to try this. I wouldn't seek out for it anymore though - I think Rochefort 12 is just as good as this and available at local beer shops.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the bottle I was dated 10.2.15 - I think this means it was bottled on Feb 15, 2010 (and I am reviewing this on Aug 12, 2012 - so about 2.5 years). Even with two years, I think this could benefit from further aging.

2nd Edit: I was just informed by another BA that the bottle I had was from Feb 2012 (not Feb 2010).

08-13-2012 03:11:21 | More by sukwonee

08-10-2012 13:28:42 | More by CommonRider
Hoppsbabo

United Kingdom (England)

4.28/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Dark brown. Beige head. Not massive and dissipates quickly.

S: Rummy. Phenolic. Bit of pipe tobacco. Underwhelming.

T: Queer flavour in the background - can't put my finger on it. Alcoholic bitterness. Sweet rummy aftertaste with some fresh cut grass - reminds me of Duvel. Slightly phenolic. Essentially it's a balance of sweetness and dark caramel. Pleasant alcohol burn down the throat, never had that from a beer before. There's a very subtle almond flavour at the bottom end of the spectrum and dark molasses at the top. A bit pipe tobacco-ey but not half as much as I was hoping for. Burping up Coca Cola.

M: Perfect. Smooth.

O: Having watched lots of hyperbolical Youtube reviews I was hoping for something about ten times more special, but absolutely no revelations here. I find mass produced Duvel more flavourful than Westy 12. A very nice drink but don't fall for the hype I say.

08-09-2012 19:56:01 | More by Hoppsbabo

08-07-2012 14:25:38 | More by stevebremer
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

4.98/5  rDev +8%

So lucky to try this beer on a trip to Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweeden.
Poured from bottle into Westvleteren Chalice. Poured a deep chestnut brown with slight deep red hue on edges. Slight bit of off-white head.
Smell is fantastic. Great dried fruit, chocolate, fig, booze, and roasted malt aromas. Taste was truly amazing. All the aromatic elements showed up here...but it was the balance of a slight chocolate and dried fruit flavors and the high boozyness that really made this just so tastey. Amazingly smooth, but noticeably strong. Its as if this wasnt even beer, but an entirely different beverage all together.
Price paid - roughly $40 USD, but more than worth the price for this beer; which is rightfully one of the best beers in the world.

08-07-2012 13:08:34 | More by DrinkSlurm
drewone

08-06-2012 20:16:58 | More by drewone
CGMLS3

08-06-2012 16:56:22 | More by CGMLS3
Hornet2003

British Columbia (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Pours a bubbly, cloudy, dark brown with champagne bubbles that linger but don't really maintain a solid head.

Smell: Spot on. All the dark, Abt/Quad elements one wants. Figs, dark, burnt sugar, clove and banana from the Trappist yeast.

Taste: Very powerful flavours. The mellow softness differentiates this from the Rochefort. The flavours here are calming maltiness, herbal spiciness, floral hoppiness and a lot of breadiness in the backbone.

Mouthfeel: To me, just a slight too much carbonation, but the smoothness and creaminess of the beer, minus the prickly bubbles is quite delectable.

Overall: I'm glad I got to try this in a way that supports the monks. This fundraiser gift-pack showed up in Alberta and I just had to pick it up even though it had a price tag of $75 for 6 of the Westy 12's and 2 collectible glasses. Not a terrible deal I suppose compared to the grey market prices, but still more than I'm used to paying. The beer speaks for itself though and there's a reason it's generally considered to be the greatest Trappist ale out there.

08-05-2012 17:15:01 | More by Hornet2003
The22Lou

Oregon

08-03-2012 23:35:56 | More by The22Lou
jdheckman54

08-03-2012 18:55:20 | More by jdheckman54
laurastradford

I made the pilgrimage to St. Sixtus to drink this beer. It was a highlight of my Belgian beer tour. I started with one bottle of each of Westvleteren's beers and the 12 was hands down my favorite.

It poured so smooth. The lace on glass was a perfect amount. The flavors were all delicate and came together to so perfectly for a smooth flavorful drinking experience. I tend to not like dark beers because they can feel too heavy. Despite the dark color this beer is not heavy at all.

I even managed to score a few bottles to bring home to America. I poured one a month later wondering if it would be as amazing as at the Abbey. It was. Once again it poured perfect and tasted amazing.

08-03-2012 17:51:58 | More by laurastradford
inlimbo77

Delaware

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

****500th BA review****

11.2oz bottle. Cap date reads 7.10.12, so I assume this has some nice age on it. I've had it in the cellar for nearly two years. Poured this into an unmarked snifter to split with a couple of other people.

A: Pours out a murky deep reddish brown color. I actually got some off white head initially, but then it settled into just loose bubbles around the edges of the glass. Some sticky lacing bits are left with a slight swirl around.

S: On the nose, I get the typical dark fruit aromas: raisin, figs, dates, prune, maybe some plum. Pulling some candied sugar notes. Malt sweetness leads to some caramel and toffee like smells. It really does smell amazing.

T: For the taste, strangely I get that candied sugar right away. Then the dark fruit component comes in. For sure, rum soaked raisin, fig, date, you name it. Those sweet malts give off delicious toffee flavors. It's so smooth. Nicely carbonated actually, which was a surprise. No booze but some heat warms the throat. Really a truly impressive brew.

M: Full but thinner than expected because of the carbonation.

O: A