1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,895
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

drewone, Aug 06, 2012

CGMLS3, Aug 06, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Pours a bubbly, cloudy, dark brown with champagne bubbles that linger but don't really maintain a solid head.

Smell: Spot on. All the dark, Abt/Quad elements one wants. Figs, dark, burnt sugar, clove and banana from the Trappist yeast.

Taste: Very powerful flavours. The mellow softness differentiates this from the Rochefort. The flavours here are calming maltiness, herbal spiciness, floral hoppiness and a lot of breadiness in the backbone.

Mouthfeel: To me, just a slight too much carbonation, but the smoothness and creaminess of the beer, minus the prickly bubbles is quite delectable.

Overall: I'm glad I got to try this in a way that supports the monks. This fundraiser gift-pack showed up in Alberta and I just had to pick it up even though it had a price tag of $75 for 6 of the Westy 12's and 2 collectible glasses. Not a terrible deal I suppose compared to the grey market prices, but still more than I'm used to paying. The beer speaks for itself though and there's a reason it's generally considered to be the greatest Trappist ale out there.

Hornet2003, Aug 05, 2012

The22Lou, Aug 04, 2012

jdheckman54, Aug 03, 2012

I made the pilgrimage to St. Sixtus to drink this beer. It was a highlight of my Belgian beer tour. I started with one bottle of each of Westvleteren's beers and the 12 was hands down my favorite.

It poured so smooth. The lace on glass was a perfect amount. The flavors were all delicate and came together to so perfectly for a smooth flavorful drinking experience. I tend to not like dark beers because they can feel too heavy. Despite the dark color this beer is not heavy at all.

I even managed to score a few bottles to bring home to America. I poured one a month later wondering if it would be as amazing as at the Abbey. It was. Once again it poured perfect and tasted amazing.

laurastradford, Aug 03, 2012
4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

****500th BA review****

11.2oz bottle. Cap date reads 7.10.12, so I assume this has some nice age on it. I've had it in the cellar for nearly two years. Poured this into an unmarked snifter to split with a couple of other people.

A: Pours out a murky deep reddish brown color. I actually got some off white head initially, but then it settled into just loose bubbles around the edges of the glass. Some sticky lacing bits are left with a slight swirl around.

S: On the nose, I get the typical dark fruit aromas: raisin, figs, dates, prune, maybe some plum. Pulling some candied sugar notes. Malt sweetness leads to some caramel and toffee like smells. It really does smell amazing.

T: For the taste, strangely I get that candied sugar right away. Then the dark fruit component comes in. For sure, rum soaked raisin, fig, date, you name it. Those sweet malts give off delicious toffee flavors. It's so smooth. Nicely carbonated actually, which was a surprise. No booze but some heat warms the throat. Really a truly impressive brew.

M: Full but thinner than expected because of the carbonation.

O: A

3.75/5  rDev -18.7%

Uvastephanie, Aug 01, 2012
4.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is so complex that I could have it again and different aspect would prevail. I had this with my best beer bud, Cervezango, while sitting in Brussels. This beer was a somewhat dark brown with a little ruby. The head was nice and creamy, a little off white. The smell sweet, herbal, toasty, caramel, alcohol, malty for sure. The taste as complex as the smell. The high alcohol isn't as strong as it would seem. This beer has it all. Creamy feel. I could review this again every day and probably not get board. I paid about $15 for one bottle, and I don't even regret it.

cambabeer, Jul 31, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: - Pours rather hazy brown. Somewhat lighter than I'd expect. Head retention on this one was pretty lacking. One finger head faded withing a minute or two. Yeast suspended and settled somewhat on the bottom.

Smell: - Dried figs. Somewhat malty. Some alcohol definitely present

Taste: - Sweet- dried fig overwhelmingly apparent. Some serious alcohol aftertaste, but less than what I would expect for the ABV. Malty and delicious.

Mouth Feel: - at first, almost too carbonated. Champagne-like effervescence detracts somewhat from the taste for this style in my opinion. I Let it sit and warm up for a few minutes (probably started a little too cool), and the mouth feel smoothed out remarkably.

Overall: Definitely a great beer. Somewhat sweeter than I'd expect, but I really like that. For my next one I'll try a more vigorous pour and make sure its starting at a better temp.

Psychmusic, Jul 30, 2012

cyrusturbak, Jul 26, 2012

hunteraw, Jul 26, 2012
4.15/5  rDev -10%

330ml bottle poured into my little Westy chalice that came in my brick

A slight haze in a caramel brown body, thumbs width of beige foam hangs around for quite a while ending up as a thin film that leaves just a few random patches of lace

S brown sugar or perhaps its brewers candy, has some dark fruits and dried fruits alike, rum raisin with a little yeast and booze, I get some spice but can't quite place it and a little candied cherry

T more spice and booze then I could smell, not as much complexity as the nose but still quite nice, a little wet wood I didn't smell

M its a little foamy and has a faint booze burn, nice lingering aftertaste of spice, hazelnut and raisin

O I almost really liked the taste so I'm bumping the overall. Pretty solid beer but it needs a few years too mellow out

I hate too say it but I'm a little disappointed even though I really enjoyed it. I couldn't taste the hype or rarity perhaps because I didn't need too go further then the liquor store I work too buy it. I preferred an aged bottle of the "8" for sure and will perhaps re-rate this one after it has some age on it.
Great beer but nowhere near the best the world has too offer, I've only had this one fresh but I have a feeling it won't stand up too a Rochefort 10 of the same age

wordemupg, Jul 26, 2012

ellswrth, Jul 26, 2012
4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing the Westvleteren 12. I have had the Westy 12 fresh (1 year old) and aged 6 years.

On this particular night, I opened up Westvleteren 12 from 2007 alongside a Rochefort 10 2006 with my good friend Greg (BeerListMan) in Chicago.

Westvleteren 12 and Rochefort 10 aged are both super complex, but the Westvleteren 12 won due to it's smooth drinkability. There was absolutely no trace of alcohol and everything was so well balanced in the drink. Rochefort 10 still had some 'power' in it and it was extremely tasty and drinkable but the flavors were a little bit more unbalanced. The date, raisin, plum flavors in the Westvleteren 12 were more pronounced while I tasted more bready characteristics (almost like drinking rye) in the Rochefort.

The only difference is that I enjoyed the heavier, syrupy mouthfeel of the Rochefort 10 over the slightly lighter bodied Westvleteren 12.

A good way to describe this would be to drink a Highland Park 18 year scotch alongside a similar type of scotch with 15 years.. The 18 year will rock your world due to its drinkability and smoothness and the Westvleteren 12 did the same thing against the Rochefort 10. That being said, I would still age my Rochefort 10s because of its availability in the US.

ChicagoJohn, Jul 25, 2012