Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,024
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Best by 1.27.15. Haven't had one in 5 years.
Pours a hazy raisiny-brown color with sediment and a large fluffy tan head with excellent retention and lace.

Smells of rich dried fruits such as dates, raisin and figs. A touch boozy. Caramel and Belgian candy. Even a touch of spice like mild cinnamon.

Flavor explosion following the characteristics noted in the nose. Dark dried fruits especially. Again a touch of heat which I love and fits this beer. I wanna know this will fuck me up when I drink it.

Mouth is bright and effervescent with high carbonation. Ligh bodied yet slightly sticky.

Overall just a world class phenomenal beer. It's been a long time since I was able to enjoy one of these guys. I love it young and look forward to trying my other one with a few years on it in the near future.

4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Best before 19/06/2015 so this one is fresh.
Poured all of it without swirling the yeast, so I poured a bit of it but not all.

So this is a dark brown, hazy beer. Not that much light coming through, quite some visual carbonation when poured in the Westvleteren chalice and a small off white head with good retention.

Smells rather complex, lots of dark fruits, sweet melon oddly enough, molasses and also rather vinious. Dark caramel malts in this too.

This is a sweet fruity beer, dark fruits, some melon sweetness but also a beer a rather firm malty backbone to it. Slightly alcoholic but it only adds to this beer. Very good stuff.

Medium to full bodied, quite alot of carbonation. Creamy and smooth. Highly drinkable.

Overall a very good beer, I love Belgian Darks so this one is right up my alley. Recommended although I do not believe it is really worth the kind of money some people dare to ask for it. I bought a couple of sampling kits from the abbey and they were €9 for 3 bottles, one of each of their beers.

Best beer? Probably not but for the rather small style of quadrupels this one is probably the most complex and probably the best, atleast compared to the ones I had.

4.03/5  rDev -12.6%

17/12/13 On the cap

Very dark, purplish brown body, small amount of white head. Not much lacing.

Sweet and fruity, not much going on.

Fruity and malty all the way, reminescent of grape juice than another specific fruit. mellow flavor overall, with low-to mid lingering of flavor.

Good mouthfeel, medium bodied, light alcohol presence.

Overall very good but not in my top beers. It seems well balanced and the alcohol is hidden exceptionally well, but is more of a one-note beer than I expected.

4.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Dated 14.12.14 so if my Westy math is correct this a 2011 vintage. Shared by me at the Star Wars tasting. Served in a Dechutes tulip.

A: Pours a cloudy, dark amber color. Almost brown in color. A frothy white head forms on the pour and leaves nice, sticky sheets of lace.

S: Big yeasty notes up front, some fruity esters and minimal dark fruit. Bready malts are also heavy on the nose.

T: Dark fruits, figs and dates, are up front neck and neck with the big sweet yeast notes. Bready malts with some light caramelization. Pale malts and some fruity esters.

M: Slightly prickly carbonation with a nice and smooth medium body. There is some slight chew to it as well. Sweet and doughy on the finish.

O: While this was good I'd rather spring for a Rochefort 10 anyday. It didn't have enough burnt sugar and caramelization for me.

4.73/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottled served in a weizen glass dated 3/19/2009

A - Opaque cream brown with ruby tints with a 1.5 finger fluffy head with excellent head retention and excellent clumpy, sticky lacing around the whole glass.

S - Candied dates, raisins, molasses, alcohol, funky bready yeast, lemon, bread pudding, fruit cake.

T - Very sweet dark fruit initially like sipping the essence of Christmas, dates, plums, candied raisins, molasses, honey notes are follows by warming alcohol which dances with the bready, biscuity yeast flavors and finishes with a nice comforting smooth creamy dark fruit finish.

M - Medium body, moderate-low carbonation, sticky with a lot of warming alcohol.

O - An excellent beer, I close my eyes and think of sitting next to a warm fire in winter. I'm doubtful this is the best beer in the world as some tout but it is certainly quite good and I'm very happy to share this experience with some close friends I haven't seen in a long time.

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Dark brown body with a huge head (over 3 fingers) that retains forever. Lots of lacing.

S: Caramel, malt, dark fruits, brown sugar

T: To be honest with you, I don't think I will be able to distinguish this from Rochefort 12 or Pannepot. All three are excellent Quads. Maybe Westy was sweeter than the two... but really that's about it (from my memory anyway). I would love to do a side-by-side to see if I can tell them apart. With that said, this is a world-class beer. Dark fruits, huge caramel, some booziness, some chocolate note, very sweet but it covers the alcohol fairly well.

M: Extreme smoothness. This is where this beer really shines, imo. Slightly hot from the alcohol burn.

O: I am glad I finally get to try this. I wouldn't seek out for it anymore though - I think Rochefort 12 is just as good as this and available at local beer shops.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the bottle I was dated 10.2.15 - I think this means it was bottled on Feb 15, 2010 (and I am reviewing this on Aug 12, 2012 - so about 2.5 years). Even with two years, I think this could benefit from further aging.

2nd Edit: I was just informed by another BA that the bottle I had was from Feb 2012 (not Feb 2010).

3.5/5  rDev -24.1%

4.28/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Dark brown. Beige head. Not massive and dissipates quickly.

S: Rummy. Phenolic. Bit of pipe tobacco. Underwhelming.

T: Queer flavour in the background - can't put my finger on it. Alcoholic bitterness. Sweet rummy aftertaste with some fresh cut grass - reminds me of Duvel. Slightly phenolic. Essentially it's a balance of sweetness and dark caramel. Pleasant alcohol burn down the throat, never had that from a beer before. There's a very subtle almond flavour at the bottom end of the spectrum and dark molasses at the top. A bit pipe tobacco-ey but not half as much as I was hoping for. Burping up Coca Cola.

M: Perfect. Smooth.

O: Having watched lots of hyperbolical Youtube reviews I was hoping for something about ten times more special, but absolutely no revelations here. I find mass produced Duvel more flavourful than Westy 12. A very nice drink but don't fall for the hype I say.