Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,878
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Drank this last Christmas Eve after service.

Smelled of dark fruits, dark bread, leather, and cherries.

Some sediment, but who cares, it's the 12!

Malty but finishes dry, sweet like dark candi sugar, spicy, caramel, dark fruit, mild coffee.

Tight bubbles in carbonation.

Prefer the Younger as my top beer, but this rocks. Can't wait to try this one day fresh at the Abbey.

Hawkfish, Jan 29, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Well I figured I'd make this review count, and get a little cocky and review it before the distribution to the US actually does happen in the Spring of 2012.

12 oz. bottle poured into a Leffe chalice. The cap indicates 16-06-13 as what I would assume is the best bye date. Popped the cap and a small amount of foam started to ball up at the top, waited a minute or 2 for the pour. Sort of a brown dirty water color in the liquid but darker, slightly darker than cider. There is quite a bit of setiment floating around in there, saved a little at the bottom of the bottle so there wasn't too much, but I think it's unavoidable, no big deal. Looks pretty good. Like many Belgian styles, there is a decent sized foamy head, mostly small bubbles but slightly varies. The head is slightly darker than off white. Good looking beer, I wouldn't say it's the best looking beer I've ever seen (even for the style), but you can tell it's quality.

Took my first sniff from the bottle before I poured it and I couldn't believe how good it smelled; it sort of went away, but it was hoppier than I expected. However the more I smell it, I think it's just it's the fruitiness from the other ingredients. Dark fruits come out, plumb, crushed apples, pears, even cherries. Subtle tropical fruits too. Also hints of mild chocolate and maybe even some coffee. None of those gross banana-like aromas that often apply in many Belgian styles. This is all good all the way. My ONLY knock on this is that it's not that strong, decisive, but nothing not that strong, so I'd give it a 4.75 if possible, but this will do.

Taste is truly outstanding and now I understand the hype. I'm not traditionally one to prefer Belgian style brews to others, but Quads were what I like the most of them all and now I totally understand the hype. All the aromas come out in the flavor here. Very malty and fruity ( I don't feel like typing all the fruits again, so read above). Subtle chocolate again, but a little more bitter this time, slight coffee too. Perfectly balanced between bitter and sweet. I'm not overly versed in the Quad style, but this is worthy of being the standard of how this beer should taste.

Mouthfeel is perfect, plain and simple. Huge, full flavor while feeling soft and delicate. Great carbonation level and the yeast doesn't leave that ,well "yeasty" feeling in your mouth, it's very smooth. The 10.2% is WELL hidden in the mouthfeel and the flavor, I NEVER would have guessed that if I didn't know. Crazy drinkable too. This is just an all around wonderful beer all around, absolutely happy to have tried it; maybe I'll get the opportunity again. If more Quads tasted like this, it could be my favorite style.

Huge props to dbexpert, you're the man, thanks a ton for the trade!

AndyAvalanche, Jan 28, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Unknown vintage, although I think it is quite fresh.

The colour is brown, the liquid a bit cloudy. The low head is off-white, it leaves some nice lacing.

The smell got a distinct note of sponge-cake dough. Sweet Champagne. Red berries. It is very smooth.

The taste is first enormously sweet. Then, fruity jam flavours kicks in. Smooth hoppy-hayish notes with very low bitterness. Wheat flour. Some toffee. The aftertaste is tremendously smooth with fruits and herbs in the finish.

The carbonation is fresh, the bubbles are small. The liquid is smooth and a bit dry.

One of the best beers in the world? I was a bit nervous before tasting it, but it didn’t disappoint me: One of the smoothest and most balanced beers I have had, with a distinct note of Raspberry Swiss roll.

bark, Jan 28, 2012

Gfunk720, Jan 27, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

130th Review
Bottle to Westvletren 12 (small) chalice - as it should be!

From notes. I have enjoyed this beer several times, but this review was as a result of my encounter with it as beer #4 enjoyed as part of a blind Quad tasting - to warm our palates before the real tasting - in Utrecht (December 2011). Thanks Jeffo and doopiedoopiedoo for the hospitality!

A: Burnt brown. Single (tan) fingernail head on Jeffo's pour - I was being honest.

S: Holy smokes. I knew what is was from first sniff, but gosh it doesn't get much better than this! Complex. Dark fruits, caramel, hint of vanilla, cloves, and a touch of heaven. At least I can only hope.

T: Much like the smell, but very, very smooth. Brown sugar, dark fruit, and nice balance of spice. Not overly complex, but just right!

M: Medium bodied and perfect carbonation here.

O: Stand ovation on this and it will never stopping amazing me - the monks of Westvleteren sure know how to brew an excellent beer! You can enjoy a "fresh" bottle or a vintage bottle and the result will always be the same - outstanding! It does age quite well too, but I think this bottle was a bit more fresh. Either way, it is definitely something any beer drinkers out there should have the experience of enjoying (even if you don't like the style). I converted to appreciate the Belgian Quad as a result of my first encounter with this beer.

spdyfire83, Jan 27, 2012

NORM4, Jan 26, 2012

raverjames, Jan 25, 2012

beast464, Jan 25, 2012
4.55/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to auroracrisis for sending me this!

33cl bottle best by dated 03.13.13 poured into a tulip

A: Very carbonated. Pours a deep reddish brown. A complex spider web of lacing.

S: Belgian yeast unlike others that I’ve smelled. Red grapes, raisins, and a small amount of caramel.

T: Loaded with flavor. The yeast really stands out. I’m going to pour it all in. Yum! Dark fruit and chocolate. Pretty sweet. Lots going on. The finish is pretty hot...lots of alcohol. Enough analyzing...I’m going to slow down and enjoy this.

M: The alcohol burn keeps me from rushing through this (which is good) but it hurts drinkability a bit. Carbonation was more than I expected, but I’m enjoying it.

O: So glad I got to try the great Westy 12. It’s interesting to think about everything that went into making this. I’d like to try another one with some more time on it. Hope I get another chance to try it again. Next time I'll opt for a chalice instead of a tulip.

mjtiernan, Jan 24, 2012

nicholas527, Jan 22, 2012

Momar42, Jan 22, 2012
4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Cloudy oak colored with a thin film of a head and a thin film of lacing

S: Wow, dark fruits: figs, plums, raisins, and cherries and lots of grapes (I actually had my 4-year-old daughter smell the beer and without prompting she said it smelled like "grapes, lots of red grapes")--quite vinous almost like a semi-sweet red wine; also a bit oaky; wow, I am excited for this

T: Sweet and malty; dark fruits and cherries and grapes; man, this is vinous and woody and fantastic

F: Medium mouth feel with subtle but pleasant carbonation--creamy, yeasty

O: Such a wonderful beer; sweet but not cloying, dark fruits, grapes, and delicious

dbossman, Jan 22, 2012

Jakers90, Jan 22, 2012

samEBC, Jan 21, 2012

djb277, Jan 21, 2012
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Big thanks to Brabander for the opportunity!

A - pours a caramelly brown with a billowing head that slow dissipates to nothing

S - lots of dark fruits, figs, raisins, and brown sugar

T - starts off with caramel malt and brown sugars. These fade to a lot of dark fruits and some Belgian yeast spiciness. Come chocolaty toasted malt comes through on the finish, and leaves fruits lingering on the tongue. Really nice complexity.

M - a little spritzy with a nice body; the abv is well hidden.

D - Solid quad, really nice complexity and balance between the sweetness, fruits, and malts. Definitely worth the trouble of getting for the experience!

birchstick, Jan 21, 2012

pword9d8, Jan 20, 2012

ryantastad, Jan 19, 2012

Cstromberg57, Jan 19, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Based on notes from 7/21/11 bottle date:11-17-13 It was a bottle split with me by a good friend. Also, this is my 300th review.

A-Chestnut with a billow tan head. I am disappointed that there was no lacing or cascading.

S-Yeasty, boozy, dark fruits consisting of plums and raisins, but also some pearl and apple, with a hint of caramel. It is a complex nose.

T-Cocoa, alcohol, caramel, with some toffee and dark fruits. Surprisingly there is a slight hop bitterness which was unexpected. It was also fruitier than expected.

M-Slightly thick and somewhat chewy, balanced by a nice amount of carbonation. Honestly, it is not as thick as I expected it to be.

D-Complex, rich and satisfying-a beer I could drink for days.

Overall, I will admit I was slightly disappointed by the greatest beer in the world. That was obviously due to the extremely high expectations I had. That being said it is a great beer, but honestly I think St. Bernardus Abt. 12 is slightly better. However, I will definitely drink this again in the future. A must try for all lovers of beer.

thegodfather2701, Jan 19, 2012