Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,027
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.26/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reviewing the Trappist Westvleteren 12 (aka Westy 12) from the monks of Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) out of Belgium.

Score: 93

Unknown vintage bottle (the dates were rubbed off on the cap). Served in a snifter glass and enjoyed on 06/23/12 at the inaugural Chicago craft beer lovers meeting. Huge thanks to Robbie Moy for sharing this one with me. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Pours a murky caramel color with a thin layer of tan bubbly head. 4/5

Smell: Sweet and fruity. Sugary caramel, berries, blueberries, plum, brandy, raisins, and bready clove too. 4.5/5

Taste: Exactly like it smells, with a lingering fruitiness. 4.25/5

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied, low carbonation. Juice-like mouthfeel. Fruity, dry finish. 4/5

Overall: All-in-all, I enjoyed this one. However, I did not think that it lived up to its lofty hype as one of the world's best beers. I am told that this one is best aged, but I also had a 2009 bottle at Dark Lord Day this year that I was not overly impressed with either (although in all fairness, that other bottle had been sitting open on a table for several hours before I got a chance to try it). I personally liked Westy 8 better, but I will have to try to age the bottle I have for several years to see if my opinion of this brew changes with time.

Recommendation: While an excellent beer, it's not quite worth it's trade weight. Nonetheless, it is a delicious beer that is worth drinking if you get the chance to sample this beer.

Pairings: Banana bread.

Cost: $85 for a "brick" that comes with six 12 oz bottles and two Westy 12 glasses.

4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

33cl btl poured into a goblet, shared with KevinmusPrime, reviewed from notes

A: pours a muddy brown with a thin cream colored head with fairly good retention that leaves some spotty lacing

S: loaded with dark fruits  and molasses but not overly sweet, quite complex aroma

T: similar to smell, packed with dark fruits, a hint of molasses/brown sugar but really not very sweet, a hint of spiciness from the Belgian yeast

M: medium body, fairly low carbonation, quite smooth

O:   Definitely the best Quad I've had thus far, tasted side by side with Rochefort 10 and this was by far the better beer

4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Third time having a Westy, thought it was time to review it. Cap date: 18.01.15

A- Dark brown, a bit cloudy but too dark to be completely translucent anyway, big light-colored head as always.

S- Raisin, plum, fig, has that classic grape aroma that I always get from traditional quads, slightly sweet, some malt, a little bit of alcohol burn on the nose.

T- Tons of raisins, although most of the other fruit flavors I mentioned come through as well. It's so bitter at first but it finishes off sweet, very well balanced between the two. As it got warmer it got more bitter, which is a characteristic I don't recall from prior tastings, I remember it being much more sweet. Also not as smooth as I remember, much more alcohol presence.

M- A whole lot of bubbles on your tongue to help it go down, nice amount of carbonation and a great mouthfeel.

O- Awesome beer, without a doubt one of the best quads in the world, but this is the freshest I've ever had the pleasure of drinking (about 5 months old) and I have to say, older vintages tasted much better. I think this needs some time to cool off and age, it had much more of an alcohol presence than I remembered. I have a good amount of this tucked away and I plan to try one each year to see the difference. I still say though that this is worth the hype and if you like quads you should track one down.

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Serving 12oz bottle review typed from notes.

So I got this from my father whose friends went abroad and brought him back a 6 pack of this from a Dutch beer store. Why they heck they didn't keep any of it for themselves defies explanation. But I was blessed to split a bottle of this with my father to celebrate my graduation from my masters degree program.

Poured into a Chimay glass:

Appearance: Dark brown with ruby highlights and thicky creamy head. Slightly cloudy and decent lacing on the glass as the beer was consumed.

Smell: Definite alcohol aromas present. Smells of coffee and toffee, proably from malt and sugar mingle with aromas of figs and raisins likely yeast esters. Could smell this all night.

Taste: Definite yeast characteristics dominate. Fruity and malty and some alcohol present as well, but not overpoweringly and works with the malt and sugar present, slight cocoa and nutty notes.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with a dry finish. Definite prickles from carbonation.

Overall: Wonderfully complex with a lot of layers. Definitely a beer that is enjoyable young but will age well. One that should be shared with good friends or company, with people who appreciate good beer. Had a wonderful warm belly feeling after sharing half of this.

4.1/5  rDev -11.1%

Had from the source. Pour is a deep, opaque, mohogany brown with a creamy tan head and huge lace. Loads of caramel, brown sugar, notes of candied sugar, tons of dark fruits, plums, light raisin, and faint cherries. Taste follows the nose, very sweet. Some yeast kicks in mid palate after all the brown sugar and caramel. Candied sugars more towards the back with the dark fruit notes. Hints of booze and chocolate in the finish. Medium to full body, light bit of a residual sugar feel, very creamy and smooth carbonation. A little sweet but quite a bit of depth, good stuff.

4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Now this is one of those beers that has been talked up to me for years, and now that I have tried it I am definitely not disappointed. I was lucky enough to pick up a gift pack with 6 bottles and 2 glasses after attending The Festival in Worcester, MA.

A: Dark brown, bordering on black, seemingly cloudy.

S: Spice, dried fruits, nuts, and no hot alcohol which many 10% beers can display.

T: Very raisiny and super complex with wood and spice, the flavor bounces all over the place creating happiness everywhere. Upon completion of the swallow the level of alcohol became pretty apparent, but not displeasing.

M: Of the quads I have had, this is undoubtably the best. Level of alcohol is masked quite well, the flavors are extremely complex and blend together perfectly, and the carbonation is spot on for the style.

O: As stated above, this beer lived up to the hype for me. Glad I have 5 more of these gems just waiting to be savored.