Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,025
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to brbander for hooking it up!

Split a bottle into a Bruery tulip.

A: Light head that cascades down as the beer is poured. An inviting creamy brown color of the body sucks you in.

S: I'll say this word a lot, but the smell is full. It occupies the nose completely with dark, complex fruits. The smell is rich enough that it is almost filling. Some warm bready notes come through as well.

T: The liquid seems to expand as it hits the tongue and the taste follows full and hard. It's a delicious, complex taste that brings memories of an earthy, warm dark setting. Maybe it's just my imagination or the power of persuasion, and I'm not sure this makes sense but I feel like this beer taste like what I imagine a monestary in Belgium to look like. Figs and dark, sweet fruits are very prominent.

M: I mentioned the mouthfeel above but it demands a second mention. I feel that the mouthfeel really puts this beer over the top. It's a light carbonation that explodes and expands as it moves through my mouth. A unique and wonderful experience.

O: I must profess that I'm not a Belgian style lover. I'm not sure if I let the hype get to me or I feel like I need to like this beer because it was expensive, but I really enjoyed this. If I was able to have access to this regularly, it would be a staple in my fridge and I'd be a Belgian beer fan for sure. Worthy of the acclaim that it gets.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.75/5  rDev +3%

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer is by far one of the best I have ever had. It is so smooth you dont even notice the high alcohol content. I ordered this through the Belgian shop. I have also tried the Trappist Westvleteren 8 and it was also excellent!

I wish I had another, it was well worth the money.

4.13/5  rDev -10.4%

I've reviewed this beer several times but I feel inclined to give it a fresh start... 2012 vintage poured into that cheap ass Westy glass that came in the brick:

Swampy dark brown body produces a hell of a head... dense, stubborn pale khaki head that laces through and through with a decent amount of beading beneath it. Even after some time in the fridge is showcases a massive dolloped layer of carbonation that you don't really find anywhere else.

Sweet leather, caramel, overripe red fruit notes... some brown sugar aromas tie everything together. Smells much more mature than it actually is. A musty pale berry profile surfaces with a bit of warmth.

That uniquely Westvleteren tobacco/caramel/dark fruit flavor dominates the palate from start to finish. It's one of the few beers that exhibits those classic oxidization notes even when fresh... leather, sweet and dirty dark fruits. The alcohol is more or less undetectable... I think I actually prefer this one fresh.

Whoever says that this U.S. import version is inferior to its predecessor is high on drugs. It's the same beer, for better or worse... (well, probably worse, considering the price).

Reviewed from notes 11-22-11

P: 11.2 fl oz bottle in to a snifter.

A: SRM is caramel/toffee brown. Translucent with sediment. Head is off white, 1 in, dissipates to 1 cm. Medium carbonation. Heavy lacing.

S: Semi sweet, some dark fruit, light hops, medium roast malt, blegian yeast(bread notes), alcohol.

T: Wonderfully balanced maltiness, semi sweet dark fruit, light hops, some yeastie bread notes, and some caramel notes. Aftertaste is malt and yeast/bread with a light caramel sweetness.

M: Medium/full body. Quite complex and layered. Malt and yeast give a thicker feel, but the light hops and friut lighten the feel a bit. Light alcohol gives another layer to the feel. Finished wet.

O: Easily in the top five beers I have ever had. This was the second time I have had this beer, and it was just as good as the first. I think I might like the 8 more, but not by much. Fantastic flavors, all almagamated nicely. If you are in to craft, this is the Holy Grail of craft. Consider yourself extremely honored and privileged if you get the opportunity to try this one.

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Thank you Cstromberg57 for this!!!

11.2 oz bottle, date on the cap is 18.11.14 so 2011 bottling, poured into a Chimay Chalice

A- Dark brown/red with a two finger head that fades to a small light tan cap.

S- Sweet dark fruits, figs, plums, cherries, hint of spices, bananas, grapes, touch of alcohol, just complex and great.

T- Wow, a lot going on here, finish really surprised me, it is bitter from earthy spices and a hint of alcohol. Not as much dark fruits as the nose but the are here and work very well the the yeast, some grapes, some bready notes. Very well balanced, very complex and delicate.

M- Smooth, creamy, medium body.

O- Just great, and I am very happy I was able to get a bottle. I can't not wait to try this again, easily one of the best beer I have had, and very easy to drink...I almost finished the bottle before the review and that rarely happens with me. The 10.2% ABV really sneak up on you!