Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,026
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Having read of this great beer for years, and coming to the understanding that it was not available, I set out a course to get some. Having been to Roquefort, and had 10, I was anxious to taste a beer that was supposed to be better than that.

Once landing in Amsterdam, it is a 3 hour drive to Westvleteren. The town is on the western edge of Belgium very near France. Having stopped at a few other breweries along the way, we arrived in Westvleteren at 4:45, and the shop closes at 5:00. A very kind person, who we asked for direction to the abbey, simply led us there, and we arrived at 4:55. We rushed into the small shop and asked for a case of 12, it was May; the Monk looked at me and said, "We will have 12 in August". Aghhh – So I bought a case of 8.

The Monks prohibit resale of any kind, but they have built a restaurant across the dirt road from the Abbey. In there I had my first 12. As I peered at it I realized that it had the same polish in the glass as fine wine, this is unlike anything I have ever seen. The aroma is rich and layered simply lovely, but not as fine as Roquefort 10. Unlike 10, with its amorphous head, the head on 12 is relatively thin and smooth. The taste was pure heaven. Smooth, Rich, the mouthfeel was thick and glorious. The flavor is complex in nature, like other great beers, the flavor morphs as it warms up and this is an awesome thing to experience. The 13% ABV is awesome, and well hidden. The flavor lingered for a long time on the palate, allowing a glass to be savored, thank God -

I checked a case in a roller bag - none broke – The Monks use good glass.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%