Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,025
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

Hunted for more than a year this beer, overpriced but worth every penny.

Appearance.- Big head, good retention, dark mahogany brown.

Smell.- Complex dark dried fruit, caramel.

Taste.- Complex but perfectly balanced, a lot going on.

Mouthfeel.- Medium body, goes faster than you would like.

Overall.- One of the best beers in the world, not over rated at all.

4.75/5  rDev +3%

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

After a long wait and lots of anticipation, here it is. The best beer in the world and the highest rated beer of my favorite style. Thanks to Kendall for hooking this up. 33cl bottle poured into Westvleteren Chalice.

A. Pours a pretty well carbonated 2+ finger head. Good retention. Thick lacing. Colr is dark brown with some amber hues.

S. Very complex and rich smell. Luscious dark fruit smell, raisins, figs, and quite a bit of grape. Nice caramel malt base underneath. St. B so far for me has been the best smelling quad, I have had. I think I have to say that I give a slight edge to Westy 12. This is really a delicous smelling quad.

T. Wow. Great dark fruit flavor just like the aroma. Raisins, figs, and quite a bit of grape. Has really all the flavor qualities that I think make the great quads. Very complex flavor. Nice caramel base, and some candi sugar sweetness. Very interested to see what time does to this beer, as in my opinion it is pretty damn good right now.

M. Full bodied. Drinks pretty sweet but finishes fairly dry. Medium carbonation. Nice mouthfeel.

O. Having had Rochefort 10 and St. B in the last week in preparation to try the Westy 12, I am basing a lot of my review on how Westy 12 compares to those excellent beers. In all honesty I think Westy 12 is an amazing beer. For me there is quite a few similarities to St. B Abt 12. I think the Westy 12 is just a bit better overall. Very complex aroma and taste. Nice carbonated full bodied mouthfeel. Is this the best beer in the world? That is hard to say, as one of the best beers in my favorite style, I would have to say it is certainly in contention.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aquired this beer through an early christmas present from my father in law. How he got it? Who knows. I am just starting to get into high quality craft beer, but I have already exploded my taste buds. Anyhow, here are my thoughts.

Appearance - Dark brown, Caramel color on bottom with a lighter tone on top.

Smell - Dark fruits, a hint of raisins.

Taste - So many different things going on. First drop that hits your mouth is a 360 spin from the last flavor that hits you. In my opinion, it starts out bitter, then quickly goes into an almost sweet aftertaste. By sweet i mean chocolatey, then a hint of raisins.

Mouthfeel - I believe mine is aged a couple years, so it is lighter. Not thin what so ever though. Just right.

Overall Westvleteren 12 impressed me more then i thought. There were so many different flavors going on that it blew me away. The best beer in the world? Maybe, maybe not. But it is a good beer that anybody should try if they have the chance.

Unfortunately this beer came at the beginning of my beer drinking career and I'm convinced has forever tainted my taste by setting the bar so damn high. It is perfect, subtle yet bold with a fruity taste that is neither to sweet nor to tart. Light with an amber/brown color, it goes down smooth and has a taste reminiscent of times only monks could capture in a beverage. A+ and R.I.P probably the only bottle i will only drink, if you see this, get it.