Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,030
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.6/5  rDev -0.2%

Finally got to try this beer. I'M NOT WORTHY!!!

Purchased from Etre Gourmet along with some Pannepot and A Cantillon unblended lambic. Plain brown bottle with a "Trappiste" ring around the neck.

Poured into my trusty Chimay goblet a medium brown color with a little light coming through. Medium size off-white head that fades to a covering of the glass. The covering continues throughout the tasting (about 30 minutes). Lacing consists of a film with dots of lacing contained in it.

Smell is mostly dark fruit (raisins, figs) and some Belgian yeast. Pronounced and very rich.

Taste is out of this world. Belgian candi sugar, yeast, dark fruit, spices and a little caramel malt. Expertly blended, hint of warming alcohol. Absolutely outstanding. Worthy of the hype!!!

Mouthfeel is rich and luxurious. The alcohol is not a negative factor. This is an outstanding beer.

4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Served out of the bottle into a Rochefort chalice. Aged 6 months. Born on 6/7/11. Consumed on 12/7/11.

First things first, I am coming into this beer with immense hype. How can a beer ever live up to its representation of "best beer in the world?"

A - Very dark mahogany brown color with an off-cream colored head. Head dissipates a little faster than the Blonde and 8.

S - Faint aroma of dark fruit and brown sugar. Not as aromatic as the other two either. Hmmm.

4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Had this over a year ago but I finally decided to not be lazy and keep up with some old reviews. This was also apart of blind quad tasting.

Severed in Chimay chalice it produces about 2 fingers width of white fluffy head that disappears somewhat quickly the color is a outstanding dark chestrnut brown. The smell is very faint I pick up the Belgium yeast, a boozy smell and very faint caramel sweetness. The first sip is amazing, where I was let down by the smell the taste blew me out of the water. Great caramel/molasses flavor, nice dark fruit like raisins or figs, and that great Belgium yeast flavor. The mouthfeel is prefect great balance between the carbonation and the body. Overall this was one of my favorite beers I had, the 10% alc was extremely well hidden in the taste. This is a dangerous beer if I could get my hands on it more often I would drink this all the time.

4.38/5  rDev -5%

My brother visited Holland last year and was able to bring one bottle back. I’m drinking out of a brandy snifter, and letting the brew warm up some as I write this review.

Appearance is typical quad, dark, creamy, whatever.

Smell is Belgium yeast and fruity caramel malt coated in alcohol.

Mouthfeel is extremely smooth and so is the taste. While you can smell the booze, you don’t get much of it on your pallet. I taste the typical Belgium dark fruit/clove/yeast taste but I also get hints of German malts, almost like you’d find in a dopplebock or even scotch ale.

Overall, this is a very nice brew! Worth the hype? Well that depends on who you ask. I typically find Belgiums somewhat bland and overly smooth. I tend to enjoy a shock to my taste buds and a overflow of complex flavors when it comes to drinking something so legendary.
This beer is 100% delightful to drink, totally enjoyable, yet somewhat under complex.
I could easily drink this again and again.. Well ok no; I’ll prolly never drink it again, as its near impossible to find for most of the world, and expensive as hell.
So in a nutshell: A+ awesome brew, but not what I would call the #1 beer in the world.

4.28/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A:Deep caramel brown. White foamy head. Good amount of lacing.

S: Immediate spicy, sweet maltiness.

T: Caramel maltiness with shades of dark fruit and that typical Belgian yeast taste that is common to the stlye.

M: Medium bodied. Good amount of carbonation.

O: Great Quad, probably the best I have had in the style. Glad to have tried it, but it does not live up to the hype. This is surely not the best beer I have ever tried.