Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,889
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes

Appearance: murky dark brown with very little head, despite an aggressive pour, minimal lacing

Smell: dark fruits (a blend of any of the following: figs, raisins, cherries, plums, prunes), and very sweet

Taste: a great blend of dark fruits, intense and hard to distinguish, very sweet on the tongue, but not overly so

Mouthfeel: very mild carbonation, full-bodied, very smooth

Overall: the easiest drinking quad I've found, very smooth, and the ABV is well masked.

Cheers!
The CPJ

THECPJ, Mar 17, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Pours a dark, murky brown. Poured aggressively, but didn't get a lot of head. Hardly any carbonation. Dissapointing really in terms of appearance.

S: Prunes, raisins, bready, cloves, spicy..subtle, but nice.

T: Nice, fairly complex taste. Spicy yeast, raisins, cloves, figs, bread. Highlight of the beer.

M: Soft, and smooth. Just a slight alcohol burn.

O: Highly drinkable, but not what I expected...maybe an off bottle. Nice beer, but to me, not the #2 beer in the world.

titosupertramp, Mar 17, 2011
4.81/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

2010 vintage

A: Pours a murky brown with three fingers of beige head. The head fades into a thin layer with good lacing.

S: Loads of dark fruits up front--figs, plums, dates. Then comes a strong Belgian spicy yeast aroma. Quite nice.

T: Similar to the aroma, the flavor is full of dark fruits. Figs and plums again. Then comes a flavor of dark, hearty bread with a slight bitterness. The finish has a slight alcohol warmth.

M: Medium body and carbonation that is very crisp without any lingering sweetness or bitterness. Very highly attenuated and very nice.

D: Goes down very easily with the crispness. Overall, a fantastic beer and definitely the gold standard for quads.

n2185, Mar 16, 2011

My dear Lord. This beer poured with a perfect, beautiful head that left a lace that was almost better that a woman's. Dark amber brown, with a clarity if poured with the retraction move utilized on most Belgians with internal fermentation. It almost kills me to wait and look, because I know what's next. The flavor is outstanding, dare I say epic. The fact that it pegs the meter in all aspects of beer flavors, while at the same time maintaining a perfect balancing act, is nothing short of awesome. The yeasty flavor coupled with the hard water provide the backbone for the dry and floral flavors that dance with the light malt and hops. It finishes dry and satisfying, and begs you to open another with its tempting warm alcohol in the back of the throat. Please don't hate me for having cases of this beer in my basement when I lived in Belgium. My friend's Belgian wife was very adept at acquiring copious amounts of this platinum liquid. This is my favorite beer in the universe, and has been for over ten years.

Wegomlegging, Mar 13, 2011

As with anyone who's had the privilege of trying this brew, the effort was painstakingly brutal and the blow to my pocket was high. This is a genuine Trappist Beer made by the Monks in the Trappist Abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren and shipped to me directly from Belgium. They brew roughly 500,000 cases of beer each year with a mere 160,000 cases of Westvleteren 12. That is an extremely limited production considering it is rated the #1 Beer in the entire world. For this reason, it is almost impossible to find and outrageously expensive. Even in Belgium, the citizens are limited to 1 order per phone number/license plate per month. And although the demand is astronomical, the production is not expected to increase. The Abbey is very much against the resale of their beer and for this reason there is actually a thriving black market for it, with some of the aged ones selling for upwards of 100 USD for an 11.2oz bottle. I won't say how much I paid because some people may be so inclined to call me ridiculous but anyway; I managed to get my hands on six .33cl (11.2oz) bottles, they were shipped to me via Fed-Ex 2nd day air. The bottle has no label, it doesn't need one. It does; however, adorn its infamous Gold Cap and mine has the date stamped: 15/12/13, translated to December 15, 2013. The beers are bottled 3 years before this date which makes it about 1 year and 3 months old, by a QUAD's standard, it is very fresh. And even though this beer is meant to be aged for years, I'm gonna go ahead and crack one open right now! Mr. Westy, we finally meet. I've been expecting you...

Presentation:
11.2oz Bottle that I carefully pried open one notch at a time careful not ruin or hinder the perfect circumference of the Gold cap. Poured into an Affligem 25cl Goblet, I chose a goblet over a tulip so the beer could properly decant in the wide mouth glass.

Appearance:
Root beer brown that developed into a gradient ninja assassin shadow black hue as the unfiltered sediment from the bottom joined the party. A misty head and frothy lacing that left little to be desired and a final ring that held the volatiles in with a thick beige cloud of radiant sunshine. It's assurance that nothing would be escaping was comfort for the soul.

Smell:
Belgian Dark Candi syrup nose with a buttered raisin bread inhale - that classic QUAD aroma that you demand from the style. Hints of dried fruit pods, molasses and even a bit of chocolate play a role in this flawless medley.

Mouthfeel:
Medium to full bodied with a perfect ballet of effervescence that finishes supple, creamy then dry. Cloud 9, here I am.

Drinkability:
EPIC! When you get into QUADS you start noticing things like too much sweetness, overwhelming alcohol, bite from the carbonation, more spice than you need but what makes this brew really sparkle is its ability to equalize everything that you love in the style and balance them harmoniously. It's something I haven't experienced before and I see it as a privilege to do so today. The alcohol takes a back seat; not even the warming is very present. I only noticed that it was a 10.2% when I got up out of my chair and realized that I definitely drank this too fast. But hey, that's what excitement and anticipation does to you, I guess.

Taste:
Luxurious, brilliant and inviting to the palette. What's cool is that the taste differs slightly between a sip and a gulp. On the sip I get a refined succulent smooth silky grape and fig personality. On the gulp it's velvety but punchy surrounded by black cherry malts, dark candi sugar and toffee with a cream soda back end then a tremendously dry frothy finish. What's peculiar is that not a single profile overpowers the other. I think what makes this work and what keeps coming to mind is its incredible balance. Its complexity shines.A couple of sips toward the end it turned a peppery anise and even floral at one point. I really wish this bottle wasn't so expensive because I'd like to re-explore this beer and give it another whirl but alas, my hasty dive has unfortunately found the bottom of my glass and to be honest with you, am a little disheartened that I can't enjoy more of this magnificent brew. Westy 12 tastes incredible fresh, I bet it's even better aged. I'm going to let the other bottles sit in the cool humid darkness for another year and come back to let you know how the flavors marry.

jayavery, Mar 11, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured into a Stone snifter, Bottle date 13/10/15

A: Pours a beautiful dark brown, with a medium amount of head retention. Does not seem to be overly carbonated.

S: Yeasty, with some banana and hints of hazelnut. Sweet malts come through too.

T: Whoa, this thing is balanced. Sweet malts and molasses are noticeable at first. Then banana-bread and raisins come through. The alcohol is noticeable, but fairly subdued.

M/D: This had medium amount of carbonation, which allowed a lot of the subtleties to be appreciated throughout the tasting. A well-balanced and complex beer. I would love to let there be some age on the beer and see what it does. But a fresh one is superb, so I cannot complain

cpmichael, Mar 07, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a Kasteel goblet. Thanks to onedropsoup for this. I think this might be from 2009 due to the dateless cap.

The first (and only other) time I tried this beer I was at a tasting and had several brews before getting to this one. Boy was that a mistake. I couldn't smell or taste much of anything. Anyway, this time I get to fully enjoy it.

4.0 A: Pours a ruddy dark brown color. Initially, it poured fairly clear, but toward the end of the bottle, clumpy sediment started accompanying the liquid. Two fingers of mainly frothy beige head with slightly better than average retention and a formitable ring of lacing.

4.5 S: This is quite a complex brew! Surprisingly nutty, this is by far the nuttiest quad I've ever stumbled upon. Dry as well (I suppose that's expected from the candi sugar). Earthy and musty, and toasty like there is lots of brown malt. Only moderately spicy and nothing really stands out in this regard (maybe white pepper). Fig, tobacco, and pear brandy fruitiness. Ovaltine-like chocolate and just a touch of booze. This is very nice, but I'd prefer if it had some more power.

4.5 T: Not as complex as the nose, but much stronger flavors. Foremost there is brown sugar, caramel, tobacco, and molasses. Booze soaked figs, raisins, and prunes. Raw cacoa powder, nutty, and toasty. Peppery and to a lesser extent, clove, spiciness. Again, earthy and musty. Pretty damn good here too.

4.5 M: Light to lighter medium body. Carbonation is in perfect amounts with a good spritzy quality to it. Good amount of creaminess and super smooth with a touch of warmth on the finish.

4.5 D: I suppose this does live up to the hype. It's an excellent brew, but I'm not so sure that it's that much better that easier to get examples. Still, quite a brew!

DavoleBomb, Mar 05, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks goes out to davolebomb for this one. Been waiting for this one for a long time like everyone else. Drinkin it with him right now. Poured a cola/chestnut like apperance with moderate head. Very nice amount of carbonation that gave a very satisfying tang to it. Very delicious beer, prob not number 1 though thats what its title proclaims. Very nice spicy fruity taste that complements the smooth creamy maltiness of it. A very rich package all together. I wouldn't prob pay this much again for the beer, but I am certainly happy I was able to have it finally.

jbbjr0387, Mar 05, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

A-pours a chestnut red/brown with a light tan head
S-dar fruit and raisins up front with a bit of dryness and spicyness very complex
T-tons of fruity malt with a perfect blend of dark fruits raisin figs with the perfect amoubnt of spicyness to balance it out
M-unbelievably smooth, absolutely stunning
D-without a doubt this beer in a class of its own i only wish id could be able to drink this all night long

joshstevens87, Mar 02, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Thank you, billinlafayette, for sharing this in a trade. Cheers buddy

A: Slightly lighter in color than I imagined for a quad, almost caramel to brown, with a sort of milky quality from the sediment.

S: Aromas are simply amazing with notes of dates, raisins, licorice, baking spices, dark fruits and fennel.

T: On the palate the flavors were a lot creamier than I expected, almost reminiscent of a barleywine. Notes of caramel, milk chocolate, licorice, cloves, fresh baked wheat bread and rich cinnamon-raisin bread pudding

M: Feel is soft and silky, about as elegant a mouthfeel as I can remember.

D: Drinkability was first class, perfectly balanced, which doesn't strike me as earth shattering, cause lets face it if your 10% ABV quad is overly boozy your probably doing it wrong.

Over all an incredible beer that I was glad to finally try. Can't say I'd climb any mountains to get this again, but I certainly wouldn't say no if one happened to fall in my lap again.

nbree00, Mar 01, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -20.2%

Bottle as part of Westy Wednesday at Volo, served in a flute. Anticipation is huge with this one, peensteen and I were drooling waiting to sample this one. Been waiting to get my lips on this one for a while.

Poured a deep dark maroon, with some burgundy and deep blood red highlights at times. Great lace and creamy, dense head. Nose is of rich dark fruits, figs, rich plums, brown sugar and a vanilla. A sense of some subdued alcohol notes, rich and very pleasant overall. Taste is a cascade of raisin, plum and figs on the tongue, less brown sugar than the nose, some vanilla, light spicing. Long dry finish, and fairly dry throughout. Lingering mouthfeel with some warming alcohol. Begs for sip after sip, this was just fantastic. Best quad I've come across thusfar, absolutely delicious and worth every bit of hype. 5/45/5/5/45

Re-reviewed as this was shared among a variety of other quads as part of the QuadShowdown - amazingly, out of 13 quads, we ranked this the absolute lowest. 2010 vintage. Poured a dark brown, with a dark cream coloured head. Great retention and a bit of lace. Nose is really grape-y, sweet with a lot of Welch's grape juiciness. Some sugary notes and a bit of vanilla. Taste reflects the nose, more grape and Welch's, some balance but there's just a great amount of grape juice here. Some caramel, darker fruits and sugar, but not alot of complexity. Medium-medium heavy mouthfeel with a bit of creaminess, with some lingering saccharine and grape notes. Modest, but feels too young. 4/4/35/4/35

liamt07, Feb 27, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

3 year old bottle.

A-Hazy deep brown with little particles of yeast and a head that leaves beautiful rings of lacing as it dissipates.

S-Fig jam, bread pudding, fruit cake, cinnamon, earthy sweetness.

T/M-Very lush mouthfeel. Palate is coated with mature fruit flavors, almost reminiscent of a vintage barleywine. The finish is defined by a delicate hoppiness that keeps this from getting too sweet.

D-Is it better than the Rochefort 10? I don't think so. Still, this is fantastic stuff, perfect for a special occasion.

DaveHS, Feb 27, 2011

What is there still to say about this beer that was not said before. Maybe that fresh, this beer is not supposed to be #1 in the world (rochefort 10 and sint bernardus abt are superior fresh), at least to my opinion. With a little bit of age however, this beer becomes by far the best quad in the world! So, if you get your hands on a bottle, be patient and store it for at least one year. Cheers

fewa, Feb 26, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Backstory: Purchased Sept. '10 consumed Feb. '11 in a Westmalle chalice at about 20 degrees Celcius.

A - thick thick beige head looks memory space foam. So thick it looks like it has resistance. Surface tension high. First beer I've had where the lacing went up the glass not down. Color is cherry mahogany. Slight carbonation on sides. Cloudy about like melted butter.

S - stone fruit figs dates. Blackberries. Rasberry. Cranberry. Cotton candy. It changes then changes again.

T - each sip has a slightly different taste. It changes fast. Strayberry. Citrus. Red wine. Rye bread. Sourdough. Peaches. Aftertaste is slightly fusil burn alcohol and sour wine yeast. Very fruity not light sweet corn sugar but deep and concentrated like grape peels.

M - slightly drying but smooth silky and velvet like rubbing the inside of my mouth with rabbit fur.

D - this is beer you drink with your eyes closed. You want to experience it slowly and methodically.

jeranbrews, Feb 26, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

24.09.11 stamped on the cap. I think that means bottled in 08 but I'm not sure.

Pours a very dark chestnut brown/plum color with slight murky cooper brown edges and a one finger frothy beige head that slowly fades into a thin lasting cap. Sporadic spots of lace left behind.

Spicy, estery aroma with lots of vinous dark fruit, zesty pepper and earthy hops. Very complex nose with lots of plum, grape, raisin, fig, date and dark cherry. This is complimented by a nice roasted malt presence with hints of chocolate and caramel and subtle earthy pine. Peppery with coriander and cardamom as well as hints of yeast/bread, phenol and licorice. This beer smells exceptional.

Medium bodied with a perfect balance of sweet, vinous dark fruit, eatery yeast, zesty spice, earthy hops, roasted malt and sweet alcohol. Soft carbonation up front with a heavy spice profile. Lots of zesty pepper and coriander that lingers throughout over the complex body into a sweet yet dry finish. This is quickly countered by a delicious dark fruit presence with hints of plum, grape, dark cherry, fig and raisin. The sweetness from the yeast is complimented perfectly by a prominent malt character. Fuller bodied than other beers in the style with a slightly roasted character giving off hints of chocolate, toffee and caramel. In addition to all of these flavors, there is a subtle earthy hop presence that adds more depth, balance and complexity. It's not overpowering, providing just enough bitterness to balance things out a bit. Toward the end of the swallow there is some sweet alcohol phenols and subtle heat but the ABV is excellently masked with little to no warmth in the finish. This beer is dangerously drinkable at 10.2%.

Overall, this beer incredibly complex, delicious and extremely quaffable. The best example of the style that I've tried and one of the best beers I've ever drank.

corby112, Feb 23, 2011
4.6/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Hayesez for this one. I've been holding onto this one for over a year now and finally found a reason to open it... Celebrating a wonderful weekend with my new beautiful fiance.

Poured from a bottle which I have no idea how to tell the date on, into a chalice.

A: A deep mohagony with about a half inch of a foamy light brownish head.

S: Lots of dark fruits. Raisons, prunes, figs, maybe a touch of brown sugar and a hint of caramel. Wonderful especially from a style that isn't my favorite.

T: Sweat dark fruits show up once again, this one goes right along with the smell which is nice. There is only the slightest trace of the 10% abv. Very complex and by far the best belgian I have ever had.

M: Full bodied and creamy.

D: I could drink many more of these... well maybe if i lived there.

Not my favorite style, and definately not my favorite beer, but this is by far my favorite beer of this style.

BS68280, Feb 22, 2011

THANKS WES!

Poured into a Westvleteren chalice. 21.05.11 stamped on the cap.

A: A deep red mohogany colour. A very tan head with tight bubbles. A lot of sediment in this particular bottle.

S: Raisins, dates, dark cherries, honey, malty goodness accented with vanilla. I cannot stop sticking my nose in the glass.

T: The dark fruits, sweetness of the malts and a fantastic spice. Caramel, caramelized brown sugar and a hint of vanilla are next followed by the alcohol in a very subtle way. So complex and delicious.

M: Very smooth and creamy. The warming sensation from the alcohol is amazing.

D: I wish I had another... and another. I wish I could do this experience justice, I almost didn't write a review.

KingHefey, Feb 21, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Thank you to Tyler for bringing a 6-pack back from brewery and sharing this with me.

27.05.10 is stamped on the bottle cap.

Deep red almost purple in color. Lovely foam retention. At least an inch of tan head. Beautiful lacing along the chalice.

Plenty of spice, figs, prunes, raisins, some herbal tea notes and mild bready notes.

Whoa! This is so smooth up front with a ton of carbonation. Huge amounts of prune and fig with a nice earthy yet spicy bite of hops. Toffee and honey come through with the sweetness of dark belgian candied sugars. Some currants and raisins litter the palate. The depth of esters and malt characters is unparelleled. Superb.

There is a general warming overall but the alcohol is so well hidden it really is a work of art. Little to no phenolic aftertastes. Just a great amount of balance in the beer. Wonderful!

stewart124, Feb 21, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

11.2 oz poured into an Orval chalice.

A- Creamy, abundant, lacey head that has a hint of a brownish hue to it. Dark as night and can see some carbonation at the bottom if seen with light shone through it. This thing laces a glass like a 2 coat paint job.

S- Malty bread aromas mixed with a spicy hint aside yeasty estery aromas, dark fruits, and caramel.

T- Malty, with biting spiciness that opens into a complex array of caramel, white raisin, anise, clove and hints of brandy, listed in no particular order or relation. Very phenolic, but well masked, albeit hot. Has an herbal quality in the aftertaste accompanied by a lemon like bitterness that lingers in the mouth. The yeast dances around is present no matter what you focus in on, sweetly punctuating every sip.

M- Full, creamy but carbonated in a way that it breaks on your tongue like a way and dissolve into it. It leaves the mouth watering for more.

D- Wonderfully drinkable, but a serious brew. Very strong and dominating.

O- Second time I've had this, first time I had a whole bottle to myself. Hype has been lived up to and exceeded two times now. This is the real deal. Do what you can to get this.

DPFRD, Feb 18, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Cap date is 15.12.12 (about 1 year 2 months).

A: Dark cloudy amber with a tight bubbly thick tan head that quickly subsides to a minimal head. Some sediment floating about.

S: Candi sugar, dates, brown sugar...as it warms slight cherry and alcohol appear.

T: Starts creamy caramelized brown sugar covered dates, transitions to a slight alcohol astringency, slight yeast and a hint of chocolate. A candi sugar/brown sugar sweet taste lingers. Very complex to the point where I don't do it justice in my description.

M: Creamy, perfectly carbonated. First Westy 12 so Im not sure what the year has done to the carbonation.

D: Very drinkable. Alcohol is well hidden but enough is there to remind you that you are drinking an alcoholic beverage.

I have read many times that Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Abt 12 are good substitutions for Westy 12. I have had both on multiple occasions and could not disagree more. There is no substitute for this beer! May have found a new favorite beer.

Jpwv, Feb 18, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle dated "16.06.13". 2010 vintage, I believe.

A: Pours chestnut, a large khaki head quickly develops.

S: The aroma good yet not incredibly complex. Hearty bread, and a ton of "dark fruit". Im going to call it raisin bread....Also getting hints of candi sugar, yeasty under tones, and a touch of alcohol. Dark, yet sweet.

T: Dark fruit is the biggest player here by far. Dark cherry, figs, raisin are all well pronounced. Candi sugar and spice really shows in the finish, pleasantly sweet. Tons of flavor here, yet somehow so delicate. Theres lots to discover as the glass warms.

M: Bubbly, medium all around. Expressive, silky smooth.

D: Alcohol heat is barely discernible except in some pleasant warming. This is something to savor yet nothing about this beer would stop me from sucking it down if I wanted to. All things considered, drinkability is great.

Masterfully crafted, oh and uh...better than Rochefort 10!

zoolzoo, Feb 17, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours dark mahogany with vibrant ruby red tones showing in the light, tight sticky white head and nice lace showing along the glass. Smells of subtle alcohol, fig, brown sugar, yeast, plum, raisin, cherry, faint leathery notes, dark fruit. Nose is stunning on this one. Tastes of yeast, dark fruit, alcohol, toffee, vanilla, fig, plum, raisin, dark sugar and something almost oak like that are behind the vanilla notes. Every sip of this opens up something new or complimentary. Medium to full mouthfeel that is smooth as silk with a delicate, light carbonation. Dangerously drinkable, ABV is hidden well and its so very tasty and flavorful. Does it live up to it's hype? it certainly comes close. Maybe the best I've ever had and absolutely in my top 3. Thanks to Volo for doing a side by side of all three Westy's that was an amazing idea!

peensteen, Feb 17, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks to Exiled for this beautiful treat! Shared with Paul, my hb partner, and John, my man from HT.

It pours a cloudy brown, with a huge, thick, dark beige head.

What a nose! Crazy complexity, figs, dates, estery yeast hinting every stone fruit, some light spice, myriad underflavors beyond me to describe, but with their presence a superb perfume is created.

Perfectly blended flavor, superior to any quad I've tried. Think of all the best flavors of Rochefort 10 and ST. B's ABT 12, soften them a bit, add the most delicious yeast in the world, and you have this. Stupidly delicious and complex I won't even try to dissect. The finest tasting beer ever.

Mouthfeel, judging as the ability of a beer's feel to highlight it's taste, is perfect.

Drinkability is beyond mere numerical representation. Had I enough, I unstoppably would drink this until algae evolved to be the most intelligent living things on the planet.

Impression: The finest beer I've tasted. Hope to taste a better. Doubt I will. Doubt there is one.

cavedave, Feb 17, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Okay, the hype makes more sense now. I had the 8, I rated it highly, but it wasn't mindblowing. This beer is an entirely different animal. Quite simply, this are masters brewing a recipe that has been passed down from masters. Fantastic, so deep and broad, yet because it is surprisingly light, extremely drinkable. Find it if you can, it will be worth the hassle.

SwiftyMcBeer, Feb 14, 2011
4.6/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very unexpected surprise shared by Chico1985 a few days ago. 11.17.13 (2010, super fresh)

A- Murky dark brown with a nice creamy off-white head that looks silky and has pretty nice retention. Certainly some nice spots of lace and a bubbly cloud atop the ale.

S- Lots of bread, very nice and freshly baked bread. A good amount of dark fruit, general spice feel, raisin and some darker brown sugar toast malt, nutty hints.

T- Dark fruit, raisin and fresh bread come off as the biggest thing to me. Underlying notes of nutty malt, brown sugar, citrus zest?, toasty brown malt, slight roast, vanilla and even oak add complexity. The dark fruit is less medicinal than some other strong Belgian ales.

MF- Quad body, lighter overall feel but a strong beer nonetheless. Very little warmth, impressive for 10%. Somewhat creamy with carbonation at a level that suits the flavors.

DB- The fresh bread and yeast profile here surely make this one a treat. At 10%, the ABV is a ghost and this one drinks dangerously smoothly. I could easily throwback a few bottles of this a week if it were available to me. Complex but balanced.

cbutova, Feb 14, 2011