Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,948
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a beautiful dark brown. It smells of sweet fruit, rum, sugar, and malts. The taste is very sweet and complex, with a good deal of alcohol. There is a nice warming mouthfeel from the alcohol, and medium carbonation. I preferred Westvleteren 8, but this was still amazing. I think perhaps this one would have benefited from a bit more aging.

mentaltraveller, Nov 10, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to Wyatt for this gem!!!! poured from a 12 oz glass into a tulip glass. pours a brownlish murky red color with a thin head that leaves qucikly. The smell is of yeasty fresh bread and a slight booziness too. The taste is bitter on the front end but that leaves quick and your mouth is filled with a fruity sweetness that coats your whole mouth. The sweetness stays but you still get that bitterness. It is well balanced and not boozy at all like the smell leads. I can see why this one is rated so high. while I do agree with it having a high rating I have to admit I'd take a russian imp stout over this any day. Still a great beer and I'm glad I got to try it!!! thanks Wyatt!!!

bobbypaulson, Nov 10, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -5%

A: Poured a hazy dark coppery-brown with a small, almost non-existent tan head.

S: Powerful sweet chocolate with a bready, toasty aroma that grew in strength as it warmed, as well as a very faint spicy alcohol aroma and fruity raisin.

T: Lots of sweet caramel malt with prunes, raisins, and figs that mix with a very slight alcohol bite. So complex, in a fantastic way.

M: High carbonation with a smooth medium body and a nice alcohol warmth.

O: Amazingly balanced and complex. Far too smooth for how much alcohol is in there. Without a doubt, a fantastic beer that just about lives up to its hype.

sirosler, Nov 07, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +3%

Poured a bottle of this into a Duvel tulip glass.

Had a dark brown color with a half-inch head on an easy pour. Compared the beer to a St. Bernardus Abt 12. Westy had a slightly darker brown color.

Smell was amazingly complex. This is probably where the beer shone the most. St. Bernardus had almost no smell compared to the Westy. The smell was of toasted malts, some mixed yellow and dark raisins. Some spices, almost had the smell of red wine and some sour beer.

Taste was not sour. This is one smooth beer. Raisins and spices shine through. Excellent malt sweet taste. Yeast is present but not overpowering. Warming but subdued alcohol presence. St. Bernardus was way more boozy than the Westy.

Carbonation was also silkier in Westvleteren. St. Bernardus had more carbonation and felt a little invasive, like it detracted from the beer.

An excellent beer overall. Very, very drinkable. This is definitely the easiest drinking 10.00 ABV beer I've ever had. I could have this beer every day. It is complex and well rounded.

St. Bernardus is also a great beer, but really, I do believe Westvleteren is in another class.

luisfrancisco, Nov 07, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured a cloudy dark brown to ruby color with minimal tan head that lasted through entire glass.

Smells of figs and raisins soaked in alcohol. Sweet yeasty smells like a cinnamon bun with extra fruit.

This a 4 year old beer and it holds up nicely. Sweet fruit up front with some sugary spice in the middle and ends with Just the right touch of heat. Complex and tasty.

Mouthfeels is medium and nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either.

A really nice beer inline with or slightly better than Rochefort or St Bernadus. The monks do it right.

Ynot2, Nov 05, 2011

I only got to try about 1/4 of a bottle of this exceptional beer but it has definitely lived up to it's reputation. Amazingly enough a bartender at a bar me and a friend frequently attend and joined a beer club at got a bottle from a friend who had been to Belgium recently. He was kind enough to share it with us and give us a each about a quarter of the bottle. I would definitely like to try this again but I savored each mouth-full of the little I tried.

A: Dark brown and somewhat opaque. Small head but difficult to judge what the head would be like on a full pour from the small amount sampled.

S: Fruity, malty, and sweet notes rose out of the glass with each smell. Even after the initial smell and taste complex and intense scents still shined through.

T: Amazingly complex. Fruity, sweet, and malty with yeast flavors coming through. Apparently the bottle we tried was extremely fresh and strong flavors really pushed through and popped. Flavors of this beer lingered long after it was finished and I hoped they would have lingered even longer.

M: Fairly high carbonation but still very smooth. Each sip was savored and taken very slow in order to get as much as I could out of the small sample and the texture was perfect for a quad.

O: Overall I would say this may have been one of the best beers I have ever tasted. I wish I could have had a full bottle of it but from what I had it was outstanding. I feel as though there is much more to experience from this beer because it is just so complex. If I ever get the opportunity I will definitely try this again and hopefully unlock more of the complex secrets this beer offers.

ssznyter, Nov 04, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Reviewing from notes.

I've finally found a bottle of this holiest of holies locally and for a very reasonable price. I have wanted to try this one since the very first time I saw it atop the Beer Advocate Top Beers. I asked the bar tender if he'd let me open it myself and he kindly obliged.

Appearance: Poured into a chalice. Dark brown with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Very little head, a few floaties. The head retention is minimal.

Smell: Full and complex, red wine grapes, rum soaked raisins, candied fruit, molasses, some yeasty bread-like aromas, dark caramels, some spices, black pepper, little bit of alcohol. Wow. Just wow.

Taste: Big vinous flavour, some alcohol warmth, caramel. Spices, some chocolate, big malty backbone, esters, dark fruits, clove.

Mouthfeel: Thick and effervescent. Pleasantly coats the tongue.

Overall: Best beer in the world? Damn good chance of it. This beer was well worth the wait and easily one of the best beers I've ever had. Definitely top 2 or 3. I don't know when I will get the chance to have this one again, but I certainly hope it's soon.

dragonofblood, Nov 03, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

11.2oz dated 06.10.13 on the cap. Got this for free in an order from Beer Planet. Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Roasty chestnut in color, almost ruby with an off white brownish head that sticks around. Lacing as the beer is drank down.

Spice and bready yeasty qualities prevail through the nose at first with highlights of nutmeg and dessert bread. Much more spice than what I experienced in a Rochefort 10. Subtle highlights of raisin and figs but not as much as I would have liked. Alcohol is present throughout the smell and can become a little overbearing, in my opinion. Almost smells like rubbing alcohol at points.

Fig and raisin more apparent in the taste of this, which I let a sigh of relief from. Candy sugars and Belgian spice, with some yeast qualities which are more subtle in the flavor. Spice is similar to holiday spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and allspice. The yeast gives a good dessert bread quality to the beer and only accentuates the spice, fruit, and candy flavors. Alcohol much less apparent than the smell. A touch of chocolate too.

Smooth, delicate, and medium body. Almost silky in it's texture, with low carbonation. Might be one of this beer's strongest characteristics behind the flavor.

A nice balanced tasting quad with flavors of dark fruits, spice, with dessert and candy qualities. The nose was a bit strong on the alcohol but for this alcohol by volume, I feel that is forgivable. I've never been overly impressed with this one like everyone else is, but it certainly is a great beer. I believe the scores more have to do with the elusive character the beer maintains, due to it's limited availability and the monks choice to not commercialize their beer.

auroracrisis, Nov 02, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -5%

2 year old bottle poured into a snifter.

It pours a nice cloudy dark brown with a small sized head. Smells great (and complex). I sensed some dark fruits, and a hint of caramel and sugar.

The taste is exceptionally complex. Each sip was different. It tasted of yeast, candied sugar, and dark fruits (think figs and raisins). Although the alcohol was hidden well in some sips, it was not hidden at all in others. The mouthfeel was pleasant and smooth, though a tad thinner than I excpected.

Overall, this is a fantastic brew, although overrated. It is on the same level as St. Bernardus and Rochefort, and I would actually prefer St. Bernardus.

Dunkle, Nov 02, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

For a quad, the appearance of this was a bit light. Previously i had the rochefort 10 and was used to a VERY dark trappist quad

I rented a car in Paris France so i could drive up to Belgium for the sole purpose of getting this beer. Luckily my wife(we were on our honeymoon) was quite happy to join me on this excursion. I can say that with the build up of the then top beer advocate rating i was not even slightly disappointed once i was able to taste this exceptional beer.

This put every trappist that is available in the states to shame. I did a side by side comparison when i got home and the old favorites paled up against the Westy.

stormywaters, Oct 28, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Cap dates 26. 04. 06

Thanks to london1o1 for this opportunity.

It pours a dark brown body that in the light seems more of a ruby brown color. Lots of dark yeast floating around and a thinly laced head right from the start. Not much head at all.

Lots going on in the aroma department. Dark fruits like raisens, figs are right up front along with some sweet caramel, lemon peel and a nice spicy kick. There is a little heat as well.

Taste held up incredibly over the years on this one. Sweet malts and belgium spices are right up front. Brown sugar, lemon peel, honey, caramel and dark fruits linger around in the back. A little bit of heat on this one but not over the top, just enough. Man this beer is delicious.

Mouthfeel is almost velvet like. Carbonation held up good, very smooth and goes down pretty easy. I could easily drink a few of these in a sitting.

Overall this is an amazing beer. I've yet to have it fresh but I cant imagine it tasting any better than this bottle does right now. This is a beer I will always be seeking out.

Stockfan42, Oct 26, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

Dark copper brown colour with a nice white head. Sweet malts, brown sugar, light wine and raisins. Rich malt taste, light bitterness. Definite suggestions of sugar, raisins and a very light spice profile. Light alcohol burn. Rich, but not heavy and a light, but effervescent body. Up there with Rochefort 10, but a bit rarer and a bit more expensive. An ideal quad, but not one I'd buy often if only because of the price.

BDTyre, Oct 26, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -6.7%

The appearance of this beer is awesome. Beautiful color (warm medium/golden brown) with a nice thick head. The lacing is marvelous...probably one of my favorite aspects of this beer. Aroma definitely offers a strong dark fruit character...there is a sweetness as well, along with a touch of Belgian yeast.

Taste is strong in raisins/dark fruits. Belgian yeast is present throughout. A touch of malty flavor is there as well, mostly as the brew warms. Very drinkable, especially for a quad. Nice mouthfeel...carbonation is good, and overall this beer is pretty smooth.

Did it live up to the hype? Honestly, my favorite quad is still Rochefort 10. I'm actually relieved because this beer certainly isn't an easy one to get! I'm happy that I had the opportunity to try it, and I recommend that if you can try it...keep an open mind. Maybe it will be the best thing you ever had, but I really feel a lot of the strong ratings come from the rarity/hype around this gem. Still an AMAZING beer...no doubt about that...and it is world class. Just not my personal favorite quad!

MsRif, Oct 25, 2011

i am fortunate enough to be studying in london this fall and was even more fortunate that my dad wanted to visit and see belgium and him and his friend were willing to drive to the middle of nowhere to try a beer they had never heard about. As i walked into In Dre verde my whole body was shaking with anticipation and i must say the 12 didn't let down. It was poured into the Westvleteren glass and it looked so elegant. It had a perfect one and half inch head right up to the lip. And from the first sip i could tell what an amazing beer it was. Just like the other Westys it has a full and I mean FULL body and right away you can taste 4 or 5 different flavors coming through. What most impressed me was the smoothness. From start to finish it was incredibly consistent. After all of my hyping my father and friend were also very impressed and could see why we made the trip. Can't wait to try another bottle of this when i get home

tenaciousp65, Oct 23, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

300th review. Poured into a Chimay glass. Cap dated 06.07.14 (I believe this means bottled July 6, 2011)

A: Very dark brown, cola-like. Some head with the pour, with a very thin layer retained the entire time

S: Notes of belgian spice and lots of dark fruit (raisin, fig, plum). Spiced bread provides balance

T: Dark fruit is prominent, with the belgian yeast providing complexity. Caramel and fresh bread. All the flavors are blended wonderfully. Mix of bitterness from the spices and small amount of heat from the alcohol

M: Medium bodied. Slightly sweet and bitter/spice flavor lingers

D: No doubt a world class beer. Very complex and hides the alcohol well. Very excited to have another two to age a few years

Brez07, Oct 23, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

330ml bottle twice. This is the mecca of all beers. Every beer lovers journey must include this bad boy. Lucky to have traded twice for one. Pours a super syrupy brown with nearly zero head on a careful pour. Smells very bready along with nuts and dark fruit. The taste is delicate brown sugar malt with several layers of sweetness. I pickup lots of belgian dark sugar and it reminds me a bit of a well aged barleywine, but not as thick or heavy. The mouthfeel is slick and a tad syrupy with a nice medium carbonation. Mild alchohol finish on it, but I loved it.

hombrepalo, Oct 18, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Served at 55 degrees F, it pours a thick and carbonated, off-white head. The color of the beer is medium brown and somewhere between translucent and opaque.

Aroma: Up front there is a ton of dark fruit character: raisins, cherries, and figs with cherries being the most aggressive. There is also some caramel and toffee flavors, and a touch of yeast and alcohol. As it warms some more of the yeasty character comes to the fore, along with a sweetness that wasn't there in the beginning.

Taste: There is a surprising lack of alcohol in this beer. What alcohol I did detect was well-hidden and not present until I was nearly done with the entire glass. The dark fruits mentioned in the aroma are all there, but there is also a bit of roastiness, similar to toasted oatmeal. The caramel and toffee flavors are there at the beginning, but as it warms they subside into more of an overall malt character. A touch of bitterness at the end is all that lets me know there were indeed hops added at some point in the brew day.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with medium carbonation. The taste of the sweetness lingers, but not in an unpleasant or cloying way.

Overall: Such a fantastic, fantastic beer, and well worth the wait I enforced upon myself. And it lives up to the hype! It's unbelievable to me that there are Belgians out there that have the opportunity to drink this beer on a semi-regular basis. I will seek this beer out again sometime, and encourage all beer lovers to try it at some point in their lives.

tedsox31, Oct 16, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Trappist Westvleteren 12 is a strong flavoured and delicious quad. I tasted it along side St Bernardus Abt 12. The St Bernardus looked better and smelled better but the Westy tasted better

A: Cloudy brown/red colour and a 1 cm head that is maintained by very good carbonation. 4

S: Malty with some yeasty aroma and a hint of alcohol. There is also a hint of raisins. 4.5

T: Malty with some delicious mellow yeast flavour that has a sawdust-like character. It is dark, fruity and tangy. The main flavour in the aftertaste is raisins as well as a hint of bitter chocolate. The alcohol has a noticeable kick in the tail. 4.5

M: Fizzy and foamy. 4.5

O: 4.5

vandemonian, Oct 15, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3%

This is my first Westy 12!!!

HUGE thanks to a regular trading partner Daniloknezic!

Date on cap reads: 23.03.14

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: light brown bodied beer with cranberry hue noted when held up to light. 1 finger of tan colored head that fades down into a thin cap on top of the beer.

Smell: Very fruity smelling quad; apples, pears, and dark fruits abound. A mild spicy smell is noted in the nose as well.

Taste: Caramel and brown sugar malty sweet goodness. Also very fruity just like the nose. Dark fruits are prominent. Hints of pears, red delicious apples and white grapes. Malty sweet and fruity. Its delicous.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with lively moderate carbonation. This beer is soo rediculously smooth and yet it has a syrupy feel to it is well. Not boozey at all. As the beer warms it becomes a little dry. Fantastic mouthfeel.

Overall: Yes I agree. This beer is living up to the hype for me. I really enjoy this beer and I want to get my hands on more! Seek it out and enjoy it. Every beer geek needs to try this once in thier life! Willing to visit the brewery for a beer that is without a doubt World Class beer!

4DAloveofSTOUT, Oct 15, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Finaly got round to opening a bottle of this stuff (had 5 bottles for a number of years), lets see what all the fuss is about.

Poured into a Westvleteren chalice, it looked fairly limp compared to it's 8% brother, wispy head on top of a moody looking dark browny/red body. I tried not to let any sediment out the bottle, but a little managed to leap past me into the chalice, I'll drink the remainder of the bottle (a fifth) with most of the sediment at the end of the review. I am reviewing live as I drink this evening.

The nose is rich red fruits, dried on a bed of dark chocolate and aged with fine English Oak, this is a smell not to mess with.

The taste is fantastic, add some carbonisation and a heap of alcohol to the aforementioned aromas and you're half way there: I found a gargantuan amount of flavours and I now see why beery people clamour for this brew so much. Sweeter than I thought it would be (shared half a glass at the brewery bar when I bought the beer, don't remember the sweetness), but that doesn't detract from the tasting I'm currently having, which I'm really enjoying.

The 10.2% only become evident as the mouth dries, so well is the body and mouthfeel, a truely great beer, certainly now in my top 10, only the appearance letting it down.

BlackHaddock, Oct 13, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

Figured review #100 should be for something special. Thanks to Jeffo for the bottle.

330 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a dark reddish-brown with three plus fingers of thick brownish head with some darker/reddish patches like cinnamon on cappuccino. Great retention and sticky lacing.

S: Smells of yeast, spice, plum, alcohol.

T: Tastes of lots of rich dark fruit (plum, raisin, fig). Starts out very sweet but finishes nice and dry with just a hint of booze. Delicious.

M: Fairly full mouthfeel with subtle carbonation.

D: For a quad, drinkability is very high.

mrnobody, Oct 13, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3%

poured into a chardonnay wine glass (a chalice style) as i am travelling and dont have my glasses. best before 7.1.14 drunk on 11.10.2011 (DD/MM/YY).

poor head retention with minimal lacing, not what i expected. i do believe the glass may be the issue here.

soft malty nose with raisins and stewed plums coming to the front with notes of rich barley and caramel at the finish.

sweet on the palate with rich flavours of malt and stewed fruits with hints of caramel on the back end. the sweetness works well with the 10.2 ABV but is a little cloying with the sweetness. only a little!

mouthfeel is fantastic, thick on the tongue and the faintest ethanolic presence which cuts through the high sugar content to leave you wanting more. very long finish, god its good.

overall a fantastic beer. however the excess sugar and added caramel make the beer a little cloying, nothing compared to some other beers but still, for the worlds most acclaimed beer i find the balance could be more centered. having drunk a lot of belgian trappists on tap in belgium, i am fairly certain that if this was on draught these problems wouldn't exist. a travesty that the westy cafe was closed for the hop harvest festival when i was there.

to conclude, this beer needs to be drunk on draught to fully enjoy it, i got a fresh bottle but even so i just know it would have been out of this world if it was from a freshly tapped keg. next time i will report on and aged bottle, just give me a few years! the best trappist ive ever drunk and hopefully not the last time i drink it.

EDIT* reading back over the reviews. i believe this beer has been subject to the tried and true over-hype phenomenon. someone says its 'the shit', and people taste it, even if it isnt there. covet this beer but dont ASSUME its the be all and end all.

BeerWanker, Oct 11, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

A - dark brown with an off white to light brown head. great retention and nice lacing.

S - dark fruit right up front mostly fig. phenols are there as well. perfect nose on this.

T - dark fruit hits up front with a bit of caramel. some spicing around the edge as well. top class.

M - low carbonation full bodied with a great booziness thats just right.

O - hands down the best quad and the best beer i've ever had to date.

celticfutblclub, Oct 11, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -6.1%

A: pours dark brown with a large head. Looks cloudy and delicious with yeast.

S: fruity esters, dark roasted malt notes, banana, apple

T: a bit of sweet and sour, heavy on the yeast and its esters like apple and banana, slight roasted malt flavor

M: pretty standard for the class, this is medium bodied with a heavy carbonation of fine bubbles. Solid.

O: Excellent beer, very complex, very drinkable, and well put together. We won't talk hype, but this can't be worth whatever price my friend paid to get it back here. I'd love to have this one again side by side with the St. Bernardus abt 12.

Holland, Oct 10, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottle dated 15.12.13, so bottled in 2010. Tried side by side with a Rochefort 10, into an Old Guardian chalice.

Appearance: Pours out a reddish mahogany color, with 2" of light khaki head. Retention is incredible on this beer, and the lacing is awesome as well.

Smell: Some dark fruits present, with figs and dates. Probably not as dark fruit heavy as I was expecting though. Phenols as well, some yeastiness, and a sweet grapey twang oddly enough.

Taste: Caramel malts and a bit of toffee up front, followed by figs, dates, yeast, and again that sweet grape flavor. Phenols and spices round out the back end. Finish is sweet with a grape juice twang and phenols.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is just under medium with high, very fine carbonation. Pillowy mouthfeel. This beer was certainly good as I had expected, but I wasn't awed by it. A little sweeter than I was expecting which retracted for me.

zhanson88, Oct 10, 2011