Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,903
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

Split two ways and poured into my chalice. Great two finger creamy light brown head with good retention and lacing. Aromas of light brown sugar, molasses, caramel, toffee, dates, plums, and cherries. Taste just like it smells with a dominant dark fruit taste. Creamy mouthfeel and smooth. Best beer I have tasted. Couldn't find a single flaw

LHOwasFramed, Apr 04, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Tasting Date: 3/19/2011

Service/Appearance: Poured into two Duvel glasses to share with my father. Since it was a one bottle split, it obviously didn't come close to filling it, but still poured a deep amber color with a creamy off-white head. Nice lacing as it settled.

Nose: boozy but a bit fruity at the same time. I got fig, maybe dates, some spice, but pretty subdued.

Taste: A lesson in quad balance. No over-the-top alcohol here. This is not to say that the alcohol was not apparent, just that it was balanced well by the other flavors - different from a Rochefort 10 in that regard, I think. Complex and delicious. Fruits apparent, some sugary sweetness, balanced out by the yeasty, biscuit-like notes and alcohol.

Mouthfeel: I think this was the weakest aspect of the beer -- though still good, I felt that the feel was a touch thin, though as I've been drinking more stouts recently, it might just be an adaptation bias.

Overall: Excellent beer. If you like good beer, it's worth trying to find. Even if you're an IPA or Stout drinker, it's an experience worth trying at least once. If you like strong ales, it's very probably top of the heap.

Eldritch, Apr 01, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +2%

Ah, the fabled Westy 12. I acquired this bottle about 6 months back in one of my first trades. I said this was the beer I wanted to toast when my daughter was born. Although she was born a little less than 2 days ago, this is my first chance to sit back and enjoy one. This one is for you, Samantha! Welcome to this world...cheers!

A - label-less bottle with a glass ring around the stem of the bottle that says "Trappistenbier" and a cap telling me that this is the Westvleteren 12. Dated 27.05.13. Opened the bottle and poured into my La Trappe chalice. The entire bottle perfectly filled the glass and had a nice brownish purple color with a picture perfect frothy head. The head was creamy and wonderful. As a big fan of Quads, it is wonderful to see that this beer looks perfect.

S - Sweet grapes nutmeg and booze. My mouth is watering.

T - Oh wow. Just as the nose suggests, this beer is sweet boozy grape juice. I may have opened it a bit too fresh from the fridge because it got much better as it warmed and really came into it's own.

M - Creamy and smooth. The alcohol is HOT on this beer. Tingles like crazy in my mouth and leaves a somewhat bittery yet biscuity after taste. Once I got used to the heat, the flavors and creaminess ruled the roost. Beer felt great.

O - Overall, I am not disappointed one bit. However, I am a bit surprised on the booziness of this beer. Amazing Quad. Best beer in the world...? Maybe. Worldclass...? DEFINITELY. I'd really love to try one that has some solid age on it...I bet it would be insane. I do understand all the comparisons to some of the other better known quads and I do understand some folks choosing other Quads over this one. I'd love to do a blind test next to some of my other favs.

cosmicevan, Mar 27, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

I poured from a 11.2 oucne bottle into a snifter. The pour is a cloudy caramel with a massive, sticky white head. The aroma is sweet with heavy dark fruit notes. The flavor starts with sweet plums and dates. It rounds out with an almost candy like sweetness and finishes with hot alcohol. It has a creamy full mouthfeel, nice carbonation. The beer is a great quad. Definitely world class, very glad to have tried it.

bonkers, Mar 26, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

I could hardly contain my excitement about trying this highly sought after beer. I was fortunate enough to find a beer bar in Brussels, Belgium which served bottles of this beer. This was my first time trying this beer. I found it again being served at the Cambrinus restaurant in Brugge, Belgium.

The beer was served almost at room temperature in a chalice. The color was a deep, dark brown. The aroma was of spices, fruit, and a hint of caramel.

The beer was rich and smooth and full of flavor-you could taste the spice, maltiness, and dried fruit.

I drank this beer slowly both due to its richness in flavor and because I wanted to savor this rare beer.

I feel very lucky to have had this beer more than once during my trip to Belgium!

Chincino, Mar 24, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +2%

Served in a Chimay chalice. Thanks Thijs aka brabander (He stopped trading Westy a long time ago so don't bother him).

Murky dark brown body with no head or lacing to speak of. The lowest of the rating tiers for sure.

Aromas of prunes, dates and baking spices.

Brown sugar, dried fruits and spices. Oak aging is evident. Has a tiny bit of sour funk to it. Pretty sweet overall. The yeast dominates. Quad Heaven!

Silky full body with low carbonation. This is "beer juice".

No obvious alcohol presence to speak of. Any difficulty you will have drinking this beer would be from the richness of flavor, which is expected, and not the harshness of the alcohol. It's so incredibly smooth for the abv %. The smoothness of this beer is unparalleled. If I could rate this an A++, I would.

Probably one of my favorite beers ever and I'm usually an American hops kinda guy. Trade more of this with me and I'll be your best friend!

aficionado, Mar 22, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Ahh the infamous Westvleteren 12 one of the most highly sought after beers. The beer is a nice deep brown color but not black. You have to take your time with this beer because of the high abv and all the notes that you can pick up in both the nose and the taste. Toffee, caramel, and malty sweetness capture your nose. The taste is a delicious blend of the aromas plus a little warmth from the abv. This beer is a good beer to end the night with because of its high abv plus your palette will be overloaded after drinking this beer. Take your time and savor this great brew.
Cheers

Cmack15, Mar 22, 2011
4.77/5  rDev +3.5%

update score: ....

appearance: The most amazing thing about the beer. I give it 5 plus.... amazing forever head and laces the glass the whole way down. the sediment at the bottem even forms a cinnamon like residue on the top of the head making this look like a latte. Beer Latte!

smell: the weakest part of the beer. although still a 5 the aromas were sublte to what I expected. but still world class spices like nutmeg and cinnamom fuming from the top of the glass.

taste: the high alcohol didn't take over the beer like rochefort does. I'm expecting this beer to be under a year. lots of cocoa and amzing spices. really makes me wonder if anything was added. Like nutmeg

mouthfeel: medium to nearly full bodied

drinkability: world class and amzing expereince. glad to have tried it

CampusCrew, Mar 22, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a murky dark brown color with a huge, pillowy tan head that slowly settles. Very puffy looking.

The aroma is of grape juice and light prune. There are some musty yeast notes that bring an earthy character to the aroma. Some light tobacco notes round out the aroma.

The taste starts off with grape juice and prune flavors as well as some honey and caramel. This is quickly balanced by some stark earthy notes. Some nice tobacco notes bring balance to the flavor profile. There is some ash that actually gives the beer a lightly bitter finish. Some light medicinal characteristics are detected but nothing really stands out, perhaps some clove. A really well rounded flavor profile that has great balance.

Moderate feel with fizzy and airy carbonation that makes the beer feel lighter than it actually is. Very creamy feel. Sweet on the palate but does finish with a light bitterness. Great balance.

Great quad/BSDA. Exactly what I look for in the style. Not overly sweet with raisin and prune flavors but more of an earthy flavor that makes the beer very drinkable. Glad I got 3 more.

#1200

Gmann, Mar 19, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

While in Belgium on my honeymoon, my wife and I stopped at the Abbey St. Sixtus (the last of our stops to all seven of the Trappists). I didn't know much about Westvleteren 12 and had no idea what I had.

The first one I had was poured almost room temperature from the bottle into a matching chalice. Dark brownish/red hue. Dark brooding scents of prunes and other dark fruit.

Taste was absolutely amazing (even warm - which normally I don't care for). I was sold in the first few sips. Tastes of prunes, sweet dark fruit and spices. Very little aftertaste and almost no hint of alcohol at all. Heavier mouthfeel but drinkability was fantastic.

I turned to my wife and said "this is without question the best beer I've ever had". I felt vindicated when I found out later that I was sampling one of the highest rated and most sought after beers in the world. Brought a couple bottles home for my first wedding anniversary and I can't wait to drink them.

AZbelgian, Mar 19, 2011
4.6/5  rDev -0.2%

WOW!! Thanks to my co-worker Dan for inviting me to tap one of these from his cellar. This one is about two years old.
Pours a a very dark murky red, little head or lacing. Aroma is hints of raisins, plums, prunes, and figs. First sip...Super smooth. Tons of different flavors dance around, cherries, mollasses, brown sugar, raisins and even a hint of chocolate. Each sip brings all of these and others, all perfectly blended and smooth to sip. No notice of the booze, even as it warms. Mouthfeel is smooth yet still a little crisp, not cloying at all. A beer worth waiting for!!

Liverpool08, Mar 19, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes

Appearance: murky dark brown with very little head, despite an aggressive pour, minimal lacing

Smell: dark fruits (a blend of any of the following: figs, raisins, cherries, plums, prunes), and very sweet

Taste: a great blend of dark fruits, intense and hard to distinguish, very sweet on the tongue, but not overly so

Mouthfeel: very mild carbonation, full-bodied, very smooth

Overall: the easiest drinking quad I've found, very smooth, and the ABV is well masked.

Cheers!
The CPJ

THECPJ, Mar 17, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Pours a dark, murky brown. Poured aggressively, but didn't get a lot of head. Hardly any carbonation. Dissapointing really in terms of appearance.

S: Prunes, raisins, bready, cloves, spicy..subtle, but nice.

T: Nice, fairly complex taste. Spicy yeast, raisins, cloves, figs, bread. Highlight of the beer.

M: Soft, and smooth. Just a slight alcohol burn.

O: Highly drinkable, but not what I expected...maybe an off bottle. Nice beer, but to me, not the #2 beer in the world.

titosupertramp, Mar 17, 2011
4.81/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

2010 vintage

A: Pours a murky brown with three fingers of beige head. The head fades into a thin layer with good lacing.

S: Loads of dark fruits up front--figs, plums, dates. Then comes a strong Belgian spicy yeast aroma. Quite nice.

T: Similar to the aroma, the flavor is full of dark fruits. Figs and plums again. Then comes a flavor of dark, hearty bread with a slight bitterness. The finish has a slight alcohol warmth.

M: Medium body and carbonation that is very crisp without any lingering sweetness or bitterness. Very highly attenuated and very nice.

D: Goes down very easily with the crispness. Overall, a fantastic beer and definitely the gold standard for quads.

n2185, Mar 16, 2011

My dear Lord. This beer poured with a perfect, beautiful head that left a lace that was almost better that a woman's. Dark amber brown, with a clarity if poured with the retraction move utilized on most Belgians with internal fermentation. It almost kills me to wait and look, because I know what's next. The flavor is outstanding, dare I say epic. The fact that it pegs the meter in all aspects of beer flavors, while at the same time maintaining a perfect balancing act, is nothing short of awesome. The yeasty flavor coupled with the hard water provide the backbone for the dry and floral flavors that dance with the light malt and hops. It finishes dry and satisfying, and begs you to open another with its tempting warm alcohol in the back of the throat. Please don't hate me for having cases of this beer in my basement when I lived in Belgium. My friend's Belgian wife was very adept at acquiring copious amounts of this platinum liquid. This is my favorite beer in the universe, and has been for over ten years.

Wegomlegging, Mar 13, 2011

As with anyone who's had the privilege of trying this brew, the effort was painstakingly brutal and the blow to my pocket was high. This is a genuine Trappist Beer made by the Monks in the Trappist Abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren and shipped to me directly from Belgium. They brew roughly 500,000 cases of beer each year with a mere 160,000 cases of Westvleteren 12. That is an extremely limited production considering it is rated the #1 Beer in the entire world. For this reason, it is almost impossible to find and outrageously expensive. Even in Belgium, the citizens are limited to 1 order per phone number/license plate per month. And although the demand is astronomical, the production is not expected to increase. The Abbey is very much against the resale of their beer and for this reason there is actually a thriving black market for it, with some of the aged ones selling for upwards of 100 USD for an 11.2oz bottle. I won't say how much I paid because some people may be so inclined to call me ridiculous but anyway; I managed to get my hands on six .33cl (11.2oz) bottles, they were shipped to me via Fed-Ex 2nd day air. The bottle has no label, it doesn't need one. It does; however, adorn its infamous Gold Cap and mine has the date stamped: 15/12/13, translated to December 15, 2013. The beers are bottled 3 years before this date which makes it about 1 year and 3 months old, by a QUAD's standard, it is very fresh. And even though this beer is meant to be aged for years, I'm gonna go ahead and crack one open right now! Mr. Westy, we finally meet. I've been expecting you...

Presentation:
11.2oz Bottle that I carefully pried open one notch at a time careful not ruin or hinder the perfect circumference of the Gold cap. Poured into an Affligem 25cl Goblet, I chose a goblet over a tulip so the beer could properly decant in the wide mouth glass.

Appearance:
Root beer brown that developed into a gradient ninja assassin shadow black hue as the unfiltered sediment from the bottom joined the party. A misty head and frothy lacing that left little to be desired and a final ring that held the volatiles in with a thick beige cloud of radiant sunshine. It's assurance that nothing would be escaping was comfort for the soul.

Smell:
Belgian Dark Candi syrup nose with a buttered raisin bread inhale - that classic QUAD aroma that you demand from the style. Hints of dried fruit pods, molasses and even a bit of chocolate play a role in this flawless medley.

Mouthfeel:
Medium to full bodied with a perfect ballet of effervescence that finishes supple, creamy then dry. Cloud 9, here I am.

Drinkability:
EPIC! When you get into QUADS you start noticing things like too much sweetness, overwhelming alcohol, bite from the carbonation, more spice than you need but what makes this brew really sparkle is its ability to equalize everything that you love in the style and balance them harmoniously. It's something I haven't experienced before and I see it as a privilege to do so today. The alcohol takes a back seat; not even the warming is very present. I only noticed that it was a 10.2% when I got up out of my chair and realized that I definitely drank this too fast. But hey, that's what excitement and anticipation does to you, I guess.

Taste:
Luxurious, brilliant and inviting to the palette. What's cool is that the taste differs slightly between a sip and a gulp. On the sip I get a refined succulent smooth silky grape and fig personality. On the gulp it's velvety but punchy surrounded by black cherry malts, dark candi sugar and toffee with a cream soda back end then a tremendously dry frothy finish. What's peculiar is that not a single profile overpowers the other. I think what makes this work and what keeps coming to mind is its incredible balance. Its complexity shines.A couple of sips toward the end it turned a peppery anise and even floral at one point. I really wish this bottle wasn't so expensive because I'd like to re-explore this beer and give it another whirl but alas, my hasty dive has unfortunately found the bottom of my glass and to be honest with you, am a little disheartened that I can't enjoy more of this magnificent brew. Westy 12 tastes incredible fresh, I bet it's even better aged. I'm going to let the other bottles sit in the cool humid darkness for another year and come back to let you know how the flavors marry.

jayavery, Mar 11, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured into a Stone snifter, Bottle date 13/10/15

A: Pours a beautiful dark brown, with a medium amount of head retention. Does not seem to be overly carbonated.

S: Yeasty, with some banana and hints of hazelnut. Sweet malts come through too.

T: Whoa, this thing is balanced. Sweet malts and molasses are noticeable at first. Then banana-bread and raisins come through. The alcohol is noticeable, but fairly subdued.

M/D: This had medium amount of carbonation, which allowed a lot of the subtleties to be appreciated throughout the tasting. A well-balanced and complex beer. I would love to let there be some age on the beer and see what it does. But a fresh one is superb, so I cannot complain

cpmichael, Mar 07, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a Kasteel goblet. Thanks to onedropsoup for this. I think this might be from 2009 due to the dateless cap.

The first (and only other) time I tried this beer I was at a tasting and had several brews before getting to this one. Boy was that a mistake. I couldn't smell or taste much of anything. Anyway, this time I get to fully enjoy it.

4.0 A: Pours a ruddy dark brown color. Initially, it poured fairly clear, but toward the end of the bottle, clumpy sediment started accompanying the liquid. Two fingers of mainly frothy beige head with slightly better than average retention and a formitable ring of lacing.

4.5 S: This is quite a complex brew! Surprisingly nutty, this is by far the nuttiest quad I've ever stumbled upon. Dry as well (I suppose that's expected from the candi sugar). Earthy and musty, and toasty like there is lots of brown malt. Only moderately spicy and nothing really stands out in this regard (maybe white pepper). Fig, tobacco, and pear brandy fruitiness. Ovaltine-like chocolate and just a touch of booze. This is very nice, but I'd prefer if it had some more power.

4.5 T: Not as complex as the nose, but much stronger flavors. Foremost there is brown sugar, caramel, tobacco, and molasses. Booze soaked figs, raisins, and prunes. Raw cacoa powder, nutty, and toasty. Peppery and to a lesser extent, clove, spiciness. Again, earthy and musty. Pretty damn good here too.

4.5 M: Light to lighter medium body. Carbonation is in perfect amounts with a good spritzy quality to it. Good amount of creaminess and super smooth with a touch of warmth on the finish.

4.5 D: I suppose this does live up to the hype. It's an excellent brew, but I'm not so sure that it's that much better that easier to get examples. Still, quite a brew!

DavoleBomb, Mar 05, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks goes out to davolebomb for this one. Been waiting for this one for a long time like everyone else. Drinkin it with him right now. Poured a cola/chestnut like apperance with moderate head. Very nice amount of carbonation that gave a very satisfying tang to it. Very delicious beer, prob not number 1 though thats what its title proclaims. Very nice spicy fruity taste that complements the smooth creamy maltiness of it. A very rich package all together. I wouldn't prob pay this much again for the beer, but I am certainly happy I was able to have it finally.

jbbjr0387, Mar 05, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

A-pours a chestnut red/brown with a light tan head
S-dar fruit and raisins up front with a bit of dryness and spicyness very complex
T-tons of fruity malt with a perfect blend of dark fruits raisin figs with the perfect amoubnt of spicyness to balance it out
M-unbelievably smooth, absolutely stunning
D-without a doubt this beer in a class of its own i only wish id could be able to drink this all night long

joshstevens87, Mar 02, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Thank you, billinlafayette, for sharing this in a trade. Cheers buddy

A: Slightly lighter in color than I imagined for a quad, almost caramel to brown, with a sort of milky quality from the sediment.

S: Aromas are simply amazing with notes of dates, raisins, licorice, baking spices, dark fruits and fennel.

T: On the palate the flavors were a lot creamier than I expected, almost reminiscent of a barleywine. Notes of caramel, milk chocolate, licorice, cloves, fresh baked wheat bread and rich cinnamon-raisin bread pudding

M: Feel is soft and silky, about as elegant a mouthfeel as I can remember.

D: Drinkability was first class, perfectly balanced, which doesn't strike me as earth shattering, cause lets face it if your 10% ABV quad is overly boozy your probably doing it wrong.

Over all an incredible beer that I was glad to finally try. Can't say I'd climb any mountains to get this again, but I certainly wouldn't say no if one happened to fall in my lap again.

nbree00, Mar 01, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -20.2%

Bottle as part of Westy Wednesday at Volo, served in a flute. Anticipation is huge with this one, peensteen and I were drooling waiting to sample this one. Been waiting to get my lips on this one for a while.

Poured a deep dark maroon, with some burgundy and deep blood red highlights at times. Great lace and creamy, dense head. Nose is of rich dark fruits, figs, rich plums, brown sugar and a vanilla. A sense of some subdued alcohol notes, rich and very pleasant overall. Taste is a cascade of raisin, plum and figs on the tongue, less brown sugar than the nose, some vanilla, light spicing. Long dry finish, and fairly dry throughout. Lingering mouthfeel with some warming alcohol. Begs for sip after sip, this was just fantastic. Best quad I've come across thusfar, absolutely delicious and worth every bit of hype. 5/45/5/5/45

Re-reviewed as this was shared among a variety of other quads as part of the QuadShowdown - amazingly, out of 13 quads, we ranked this the absolute lowest. 2010 vintage. Poured a dark brown, with a dark cream coloured head. Great retention and a bit of lace. Nose is really grape-y, sweet with a lot of Welch's grape juiciness. Some sugary notes and a bit of vanilla. Taste reflects the nose, more grape and Welch's, some balance but there's just a great amount of grape juice here. Some caramel, darker fruits and sugar, but not alot of complexity. Medium-medium heavy mouthfeel with a bit of creaminess, with some lingering saccharine and grape notes. Modest, but feels too young. 4/4/35/4/35

liamt07, Feb 27, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

3 year old bottle.

A-Hazy deep brown with little particles of yeast and a head that leaves beautiful rings of lacing as it dissipates.

S-Fig jam, bread pudding, fruit cake, cinnamon, earthy sweetness.

T/M-Very lush mouthfeel. Palate is coated with mature fruit flavors, almost reminiscent of a vintage barleywine. The finish is defined by a delicate hoppiness that keeps this from getting too sweet.

D-Is it better than the Rochefort 10? I don't think so. Still, this is fantastic stuff, perfect for a special occasion.

DaveHS, Feb 27, 2011

What is there still to say about this beer that was not said before. Maybe that fresh, this beer is not supposed to be #1 in the world (rochefort 10 and sint bernardus abt are superior fresh), at least to my opinion. With a little bit of age however, this beer becomes by far the best quad in the world! So, if you get your hands on a bottle, be patient and store it for at least one year. Cheers

fewa, Feb 26, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Backstory: Purchased Sept. '10 consumed Feb. '11 in a Westmalle chalice at about 20 degrees Celcius.

A - thick thick beige head looks memory space foam. So thick it looks like it has resistance. Surface tension high. First beer I've had where the lacing went up the glass not down. Color is cherry mahogany. Slight carbonation on sides. Cloudy about like melted butter.

S - stone fruit figs dates. Blackberries. Rasberry. Cranberry. Cotton candy. It changes then changes again.

T - each sip has a slightly different taste. It changes fast. Strayberry. Citrus. Red wine. Rye bread. Sourdough. Peaches. Aftertaste is slightly fusil burn alcohol and sour wine yeast. Very fruity not light sweet corn sugar but deep and concentrated like grape peels.

M - slightly drying but smooth silky and velvet like rubbing the inside of my mouth with rabbit fur.

D - this is beer you drink with your eyes closed. You want to experience it slowly and methodically.

jeranbrews, Feb 26, 2011