Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,084
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.61/5  rDev +0.2%

Had this over a year ago but I finally decided to not be lazy and keep up with some old reviews. This was also apart of blind quad tasting.

Severed in Chimay chalice it produces about 2 fingers width of white fluffy head that disappears somewhat quickly the color is a outstanding dark chestrnut brown. The smell is very faint I pick up the Belgium yeast, a boozy smell and very faint caramel sweetness. The first sip is amazing, where I was let down by the smell the taste blew me out of the water. Great caramel/molasses flavor, nice dark fruit like raisins or figs, and that great Belgium yeast flavor. The mouthfeel is prefect great balance between the carbonation and the body. Overall this was one of my favorite beers I had, the 10% alc was extremely well hidden in the taste. This is a dangerous beer if I could get my hands on it more often I would drink this all the time.

4.34/5  rDev -5.7%

My brother visited Holland last year and was able to bring one bottle back. I’m drinking out of a brandy snifter, and letting the brew warm up some as I write this review.

Appearance is typical quad, dark, creamy, whatever.

Smell is Belgium yeast and fruity caramel malt coated in alcohol.

Mouthfeel is extremely smooth and so is the taste. While you can smell the booze, you don’t get much of it on your pallet. I taste the typical Belgium dark fruit/clove/yeast taste but I also get hints of German malts, almost like you’d find in a dopplebock or even scotch ale.

Overall, this is a very nice brew! Worth the hype? Well that depends on who you ask. I typically find Belgiums somewhat bland and overly smooth. I tend to enjoy a shock to my taste buds and a overflow of complex flavors when it comes to drinking something so legendary.
This beer is 100% delightful to drink, totally enjoyable, yet somewhat under complex.
I could easily drink this again and again.. Well ok no; I’ll prolly never drink it again, as its near impossible to find for most of the world, and expensive as hell.
So in a nutshell: A+ awesome brew, but not what I would call the #1 beer in the world.

4.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A:Deep caramel brown. White foamy head. Good amount of lacing.

S: Immediate spicy, sweet maltiness.

T: Caramel maltiness with shades of dark fruit and that typical Belgian yeast taste that is common to the stlye.

M: Medium bodied. Good amount of carbonation.

O: Great Quad, probably the best I have had in the style. Glad to have tried it, but it does not live up to the hype. This is surely not the best beer I have ever tried.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cap reads 20.05.14 making this born on 5/20/2011 I believe. Huge thanks to a kind soul on another forum for sending this to me! Poured into a chimay goblet and allowed to warm up for a while.

A - Great dark brown body that allows a bit of light to pass through. There is a little bit of sediment that settled at the bottom of the glass. Fantastic off white/light khaki head that sticks around forever. Really creamy and tight bubbling with some moderate lacing and retention.

S - Loads of dark candied/caramelized fruits. Figs, prunes, plums, raisins etc. This is followed by a great spice note and some light yeast and alcohol. Extremely well balanced.

T - Follows the nose. Candied dark fruits, caramel, and then the spices. The aftertaste is of Belgian yeast. The flavor is so well balanced and delicious. I could down pint after pint of this stuff. The alcohol is not noticeable at all.

M - Creamy, medium mouth feel with just the right amount of carbonation. It coats your mouth but doesn't stick around for too long. Fantastic.

O - I actually wanted to not like this beer as much as I did. I know it has a great deal of hype and I figured since I invested $0 on the bottle I would be going into it unbiased. It blew me away though. This is an excellent quadrupel and its worthy of its high ranking. I enjoyed it much more than the easier to find examples, and the only other quad that I have had that surpassed this was pannepot grand reserva.

4.07/5  rDev -11.5%

1st Dec. 2011 into a Leffe chalice.

Vintage, 3 years old.
If the product is good, oxydation is coming. Don't keeping any longuer.
I was a bit disapointed by the lack of "roundness" of it. Maybe because of the age? For other beers it did not happen so often...