Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,776
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
scottyshades

4.55/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Stonequarrywest for the bottle!

A: Pours a rich deep mohagany color that produces a fizzly white head that retains well and leaves nice lacing along the glass. Little brown spots appear in the head over time.

S: Champagne yeast, alcohol, dark fruits (figs/plums/pears/dates/cherries), candy, bubblegum, malts. Very complex...I can only imagine the care and technique that it takes to craft this brew.

T: Soooo good. Dark fruits are nice and sweet while the bitterness is perfectly balanced. Malts are hugee in this brew.

MF/D: Very chew brew for its style (although not as chewy as I have heard). Superbly smooth, finishes clean and velvety.

To be honest, I was expecting more, but still a ridiculous brew

This brew was born in November of 2008 which makes it only half a year old. I must say that I got a little anxious to try this one. Still have one more that I plan on aging for a long while.

07-09-2009 01:22:31 | More by scottyshades
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

Davey shared this bottle with me when we drank my Westy 8. Poured into goblet a still, murky, yeasty, brown with no head. Smelled of dark fruit, brandy. Taste of dark fruit as well, raisin, cherry, fig, a little warm, in the finish. This was pretty fizzy in the mouth which surprised me as it didn't look very carbonated when I poured it. Amazing beer and I'm glad I was able to sample this.

07-07-2009 18:24:05 | More by mugglesandhops
ricke

Sweden

4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

A: A deep reddish brown color, nearly opaque. A nice looking beige head of about 3 cm with good retention leaves plenty of lacings.

S: A deep and rich smell. Plenty of fruity aromas (cherries, plums, overripe strawberries), raisins, wet wood. The malty backbone is thick and "dark" and is accompanied by a prominent spicy aroma. A hint of yeast. The alcohol is noticeable, but very integrated with the rest of the aromas. A great smell.

T: The taste is nothing but fantastic. A noble and rich malty backbone and semi-sweet cherries converge with a prominent, but not very strong, taste of alcohol. At this point, the beer is quite reminiscent of a fine liqueur. Hints of chocolate and coffee. Raisins adds another sweet component. Earthy yeast and spices balance the massive sweetness. Faint nutty aromas, and perhaps just a minimal hint of tartness. In the finish, the alcohol is very noticeable and has a sweet and warming character. But the alcohol is very well integrated and suits the beer nicely. The finish is slightly bitter with notes of spices, iron and grass.

M: Full-bodied with a velvety smooth texture. The rather high level of carbonation is well suited for the overall character.

D: What to say about this legendary brew? Well, I think it's almost as good as it's reputation say it is. It's just unbelievably tasty with an impressive complex character. This one comes really close to perfection.

07-06-2009 13:52:18 | More by ricke
johnd513

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

Big thanks goes to slater1313 for including this as an extra!
Cap reads 02 07 11
Smells of bourbon, raisins, dark fruits, honey, candi sugar and a phenol character. Tastes of fruit, honey and dark malts. The mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, tingles the tongue and finishes smooth. The sweetness, carbonation and alcohol warming character of this beer mend together perfectly. Drinkability is exceptional, I could enjoy this all night.

06-30-2009 15:59:26 | More by johnd513
EatsTacos

Yukon (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a dark chestnut brown, with a clumpy and thick head. Great lacing.

There are a few aspects to the aroma of this beer. Dark, dried fruits; raisins, prunes, even dried apricot. Chocolate, coffee, and sweet toffee and caramel. Burnt toast.

Taste begins on a fruity note. Apricots, plums, prunes, raisins. Slightly bitter chololate on the sides of the palate. Alcohol is not well hidden. The roasted malt is not overly sweet, and the finish is not completely dry.

Medium bodied, with a soft carbonation

06-21-2009 01:01:16 | More by EatsTacos
Nick3

4.25/5  rDev -8%

Bottle reads a date on the cap of 19 11 11. Beer poured into my Westvleteren goblet is rich dark brown in color. No head or lacing to speak of has me a bit worried given this beer's rich tradition. Nose is wonderful and complex. Notes of candi sugar, dark fruit, anise and caramel. Taste is complex as well and nearly as great as the boquet. Amazing synthesis of flavors. Mouthfeel is too thin and the beer lacked enough carbonation. Alcohol was there but overwhelmed by the amazing flavor. A great beer but I would like to have one with a bit more carbonation.

06-17-2009 04:55:03 | More by Nick3
wheatman106

4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

Reviewed with the help of capra12 and Jimmy

Poured into a snifter

A: Poured a slightly cloudy, rich brown color like dark brown sugar. Formed about a 1.5 finger head, very tight with small bubbles, ivory in color. Moderate retention and left a nice, even lacing.

S: Most of the noticeable notes were very balanced, none overly pronounced compared to the others. Included were slight notes of alcohol, rich berries, and faint notes of molasses and pear. Again, no one aroma overpowered the others.

T: From the opening through the finished, there exists a very complex blend of flavors. It is an extremely balanced combination of alcohol, berries, and dark malts, with mild to medium levels of carbonation. The moderate finish trails off evenly leaving a slightly sweet and alcoholic aftertaste.

M: Full-bodied, but not too heavy.

D: For a quadrupel, drinkability is very good, as the alcohol taste and weight of the beer are not obnoxious.

Myself, capra12, and Jimmy were in agreement that we simply cannot wait to enjoy this beer again.

06-17-2009 02:06:43 | More by wheatman106
swirldog

4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

Had this classic a couple of years ago at a homebrew meeting. A one of a kind very rare thing to get a hold of.
Deep mahogany appearance, strong brown head with excellent lace.
Nose is fruity with strong malt with chocolate notes, hops are low.
Flavor is malt upfront with raisiny/fruity esters. Chocolate flavors predominate in the middle. Hops are very low, bit in the finish.
Mouthfeel is chewy with nice creaminess and carbonation.
Drinkibility is good, a beer for a cold nite.
A classic that I would love to have again.

06-15-2009 15:37:00 | More by swirldog
NorCalYeti

3.48/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

color- brown

taste- bourbon, toast, chocolate

aroma- floral, chocolate

appearance- opaque, suspended sediment

i bought this bottle in 2003 so it had some time on it, i was let down with this beer...could have been a variety of reasons...maybe held onto it too long. i would give it another try.

06-13-2009 20:18:18 | More by NorCalYeti
juicestam

Marshall Islands

My first review... I traveled 12,000 miles for this beer - was it worth the journey? Or would it leave me wondering why I ever left my tropical paradise?

A - Poured into a Westvleteren chalice. Beautifully dark brown, with a thick creamy white head. Perfect.

S - Earthy and spicy. Somehow stronger, more complex, yet more delicate than anything I've tried.

T - Absolutely amazing! Spicy, some banana and dark fruit. Alcohol just comes though to remind me it's there. Somewhat similar to St. Bernardus, but deeper and more refined.

M - Silky and creamy. It's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited. Excellent.

D - I could drink this forever - or at least until I pass out. I get ready to order another, but then I remember that I've already sampled the Blonde and the 8, and I've got a 2 mile bike ride ahead of me. Better stop while I'm ahead.

Easily the best beer I've had. Yes, there's a degree of mystique added given that it's also so rare. But seriously - try it!

06-13-2009 10:49:41 | More by juicestam
HopBacchus

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

One beer to rule them all
One beer to find them
One bring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
(not quite, but.... it was damn good)

I am in Belgium at my computer sipping as i rate this beer

A: The beer pours a ruddy brown color with a medium sized foamy head that dissipated more quickly than expected, mild lacing.

S: It smells well... like heaven. Absurd amounts of smoky rich malts and vanilla tingle the nostrils. One can detect spices and citrus; perhaps even molasses?

T: Wonderful, a perfect balance of yeast and overpowering malts engulf my taste buds caressing each section of my tongue. Hops levels are low and overpowered by the rich malts.

M: Average at best. Upon first sipping, it stung my tongue to the point where it almost overwhelmed the otherwise perfect flavor. Over carbonated i would say. However its body was perfect after the carbonation sting subsided. Felt like I was drinking some sort of evil IPA.

D: Minus the carbonation, amazing the malts and flavor are absolutely perfect this is a beer that would suit any meal or weather.

Overall this was an excellent beer. I can see why it is the best in the world. I personally would not give it such a grand title because of its less than steller lacing and mouth feel however this is truly a great beer that i found myself in awe of.

06-12-2009 17:03:03 | More by HopBacchus
kaseydad

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to NorCalYeti for sharing his bottle with me. Very excited to try the #1 ranked beer and am hoping it doesn't disappoint.

Poured into my Maudite snifter and am met with a caramel color, a thin layer of head and some major sediment.

An aroma of burnt toast, bourbon and some dark fruits seem to be the major smells.

The taste is smooth and silky though the alcohol seems to be easily identifiable and somewhat distracting. As the beer warms, the intensity of the liquor qualities increases.

Overall I was very happy to try this beer, but I really wanted to be blown away but unfortunately I wasn't. I would still drink this in a heartbeat but the price of a bottle just wasn't worth it to me.

06-12-2009 02:59:06 | More by kaseydad
sgsmfdoom

Tennessee

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance - Dark, somewhat hazy brown, small head and nice lacing

Smell - Typical quad fruitiness, with strong suggestion of spice. Sweet smell after a while consisting of dark fruits and sugar

Taste/Mouthfeel - Strong fruity sweetness, with slight bite at the end. No notable alcohol presence, which is odd at over 10%. Sugary, almost caramel flavor as it warms. Not watery, but not syrupy, just the right consistency.

Drinkability - Complete. Equally as filling as any light beer or soda. This beer could be drank with any meal, in any weather, at any time, and as much as is possible.

Though this was one of the more enjoyable beers I've ever had, I think it's hype and limited availability have propelled it to #1. It's deserving of a top 10, but for it's rarity I think St. Bernardus Abt 12 makes a great substitute.

06-08-2009 00:43:20 | More by sgsmfdoom
berkey

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

Figured I'd finally pull this one out of the fridge for the occasion of my 50th review. Poured into a Chimay glass.

Body is a very dense, dark, and cloudy brown. Forms a medium sized light brown head with mediocre retention but lacing is excellent.

The aromas start off with the figs and other sweet dark fruits expected of the style along with some great graham-crackery malts and yeast. Also some bitter grassy hops in the background.

Along with the style-requisite dark fruits picked up on the aroma I'm also getting some anise, ginger bread, toffee, and almond flavors on first sip. Hop bitterness is slightly more assertive than in other beers in this style, especially in the aftertaste. As it warms fruit sweetness becomes more easily identifiable with more fig and some faint cherries.

Good carbonation is complimented by a slight alcohol tingle to create an enjoyable mouthfeel. Incredibly drinkable for the style but because of the difficulty obtaining this I don't anticipate having more than one of these in a sitting unless I'm in Belgium.

Overall I enjoyed this one very much. One of the best examples of this style out there, although probably not number one according to my personal tastes. Still, this would definitely be a regular if it were more readily available.

06-07-2009 20:15:09 | More by berkey
ghostwalker

Thanks to juicestam for his round the world odyssey that led to this 3-way all Westy tasting.

Here it is. The Big Kahuna. The one and only. The number one beer in the world, or is it?

Appearance: Dark , dark brown body. Solid finger of white head. Nice lacing. Just picture perfect. Wish I had taken a picture.

Nose: Stronger than 8, much more spice. Sweet/spice combo that really makes an impression.

Taste: Spicy strength, but restrained. Dark fruit and caramel/molasses. This defines complexity. A relatively simple initial sip turns into so much more.

Mouthfeel: Here's where it really glows. Tingly spice, slightly numbing, like cloves. Slick and frothy.

Drinkability: Deceptive and tantalizing. Easy to drink. Is this 10%? I can't tell, but I know I want more...

It is #1 for a reason. Please try it if you can.

06-07-2009 06:14:54 | More by ghostwalker
abfraser

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Bottle capped with 17.10.10

A: Beatiful pour. Dark brown with a nice frothy tan head, about an inch thick. With a minute or two, the head diminishes by about half. Nice tiny carbonation bubbles hugging the side.

S: Belgian yeast; sweet dark fruit---raisins, prunes, etc...; caramel

T/M: Caramel malt and dark fruit are prominent. Classic quad flavors. The caramel really lingers through the finish. Mouthfeel is dry and carbonated. Given the overly rich American brews that suck ever little bit of your taste buds down with each sip, this is a welcome change. I'd almost call it refreshing. Excellent, excellent beer.

D: Extremely high. I can't believe this is a 10% beer. Slight booziness on the finish, but there's no way I'd guess it was that high.

The best beer in the world? A lot of the hype certainly comes from how difficult it is to obtain. It's certainly a world-class beer. We'll just leave it at that.

06-03-2009 04:10:38 | More by abfraser
GatorBeerNerd

Georgia

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

I decided to pick out something good for my 200th review. I do not think it gets much better than this. 11.2 oz bottle purchased at the monastery by my friend for me. Poured into the Westvleteren chalice that he also bought for me at the cafe across the street from the Abbey.

A: Pours a dark brown with small tan head. The tiny bubbles really stick to the side of the glass as the beer is consumed.

S: Belgian yeast, sweet smelling malt, dark fruit aroma (raisin), and alcohol is the best I can describe the aroma. I am sure there is even more to this complex brew, but the aroma is a bit subdued.

T: All the pieces from the aroma mix together to make one of the most rich flavors of any beers I have ever had. There is more going on, but I am too inexperienced to pick them all up. I started into good beer via Belgian ales, and this is easily the best of any of them I have ever had. It deserves the hype it gets.

M: It feels thick bodied at times, but if I was forced I would call it more of a medium body. The in mouth carbonation level is perfection for the style. It is nice and smooth and a joy to just roll around on the tongue.

D: You sip this one because you want to savor every drop. The ABV does cause you to slow down a little as well, but not more than you want to anyway.

Those monks sure know how to brew a fantastic beer.

06-02-2009 02:27:36 | More by GatorBeerNerd
paytoplay

pristine condition, cap said oct 08 as the brew or bottle date. stunner of a nose. best i've ever had. warm it was very silky, satin, smooth ect ect. great balance, acidity, woodsy. super finish. cooled down a bit more chocolate came out but the best milk chocolate you could ever imagine, with muddled fruits. super finish. could drink this all day every day. lives up to the hype and the best beer i've ever had.

05-31-2009 18:09:16 | More by paytoplay
indiapaleale

March of 2007 I went to the abbey cafe at St. Sixtus and had all the Westvleteren beers. I never had the chance to review them so this time when I was in Belgium I took some notes...

Had this bottle at Cambrinus in Brugge, it was not cheap but not too over the top. (6.95 euro, the same as at de Bier Tempel in Brussels)

Pours a deep dark brown with very little head yet it was very persistent and did not seem to be fading whatsoever.

Smell is very sweet caramel/brown sugar, stewed fruit, cooked cherries and a very slight whiff of alcohol.

Taste is ridiculously smooth for the strength. Wow. Lots of complexity to say the least. Toasted brown bread, sweet caramel and brown sugar, sweet dark fruit with a super nice clean smooth finish.

This is a very nice treat at @$10usd while over in Belgium. I saw at the most in Brugge and at differing prices. My first experience with this beer a few years ago at the abbey cafe was completely unforgettable.

05-26-2009 15:50:16 | More by indiapaleale
JonMich13

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to deepsouth for the trade.

A = Decanted into chalice. Dark brown with light hints of amber light coming through the edges. Light head quickly receded with light lacing.

S = Smells of yeast, dark fruit and alcohol. Pretty typical quad aroma.

T = Very complex blend of sweet malts, begian yeast, and an array of dark fruits. I'm picking up dates, raisins, prunes, overripe apples with strong brown sugar. Also, a very apparent boozy flavor and heat on the back. Hard not to appreciate what went into brewing this beer, even if this isn't your style.

M = Best quality of this beer to me. Just perfectly executed mouthfeel with a subtle carbonation and a bit chewy but not overdone. Very, very well crafted.

D = Very drinkable considering the ABV. Not a session (duh), but its taste and mouthfeel more than make up for the booziness and high ABV. This is meant to be sipped and savored.

Overall, quite impressed and appreciative of the opportunity to try it. Definitely world class.

05-25-2009 01:59:33 | More by JonMich13
KeefD

4.85/5  rDev +5%

Finally! A Westy 12 is in my chalice. It's about time. Review #500. Huge thanks go out to deepsouth for the trade!

03.12.11 printed on the cap.

Pours a very dark amber brown color with almost no head and no lacing. I thought I would was going to have a hugely carbonated beer here, but it doesn't seem to look that way. Lovely aroma of yeast, dark sugar, apples, plums, raisins, brandy, hints of chocolate and a light booziness. Wow, I could smell this all night and keep coming up with more familiar aromas. Taste is off the charts. This tastes like a dark Belgian beer with a few drops of brandy splashed in. Strong caramel and toffee flavors are at the forefront followed by a nice boozy brandy flavor, dark fruit, namely raisins, a bit of chocolate, lightly bitter earthiness from the hops, sweet, delicious, satisfying. Wow, this beer really does live up to the hype. So much complexity in the flavor. It's truly outstanding. Medium-full bodied, lower carbonation than what I was expecting. Boozy warmth becomes more prevalent as it warms up in the glass. Delicious aftertaste seems to linger forever.

What a great beer. I can certainly see why it's the top rated in the world. While it's not my highest rated beer, it's certainly deserving of it's praise. Very drinkable despite the high ABV, which is virtually absent in the taste. So good. I will cherish the remaining bottles I have and drink them a bottle at a time over the next few years. Thanks again, Jason!

05-20-2009 01:32:28 | More by KeefD
GRG1313

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a medium brown body with hints of red/orange around the edges. Short tan head.

Nose of deep rich fruit and malt. Hints of raisins and stone fruit. Hints of complex malt and toffee/carmel/whiskey. Flavors were rich, bold, assertive, long lasting and fantastic.

Front palate hits you with sweet malt and the flavors just grow in layers; malt, whiskey, raisins, figs and a bit of light chocolate.

The beer just reeks of complexities and character. This is one of the best liquids I've tasted, and I've tasted some nice stuff, including some of the rarest and oldest wines in the world. This beer ranks right up there.

I love old stouts and some of the crazy extreme beers that are now being produced. However, for overall quality and flavor this is probably the best ale I've ever tasted. I hope I can try it again. Don't miss this one if you get the chance!

05-19-2009 04:49:46 | More by GRG1313
ColForbinBC

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

12oz bottle poured into a Trappist Westvleteren chalice

Pours a medium chestnut body with a reddish tinge. A rather ominous, murky body. A sandy colored head rose to fill the chalice.

Hmmm, pretty complex. Both broad and deep. Golden raisins hit me at first with dark cherries, licorice, cocoa powder, and a meaty, bready quality.

At first sip, I was taken back by the complexity. Sweet malts dominate the flavor with a spicy character begging to be reckoned with. Golden raisins and figs with dark cherries are the flavors I get the most of, but there are a good amount of licorice, cocoa powder and a hearty bready complexity as well.

A velvety, hearty, luscious mouthfeel. Medium to full body, but drinks much easier than that.

This beer nears perfection in drinkability. I could not wait to take my next sip.

Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had.

05-17-2009 00:05:56 | More by ColForbinBC
Jablonski

Louisiana

4.35/5  rDev -5.8%

The Westvleteren is 1 year aged. Pours a hazy mahogany with a decent sized head. It looked like it would be a gusher at first, but didn't quite make it over the top. The head dissipates quickly. It smells largely of dark fruits, with a bitterness combined with it. There is also a sweetness combined with it as well. The alcohol comes through slightly in the smell, but not to strong. The taste is filled with tons of spices and dark fruits. The alcohol has largely mellowed into the taste, though there is a warming sensation to the beer. The bitterness blends nicely into the taste, though there is a slight dry aftertaste. The mouthfeel is as smooth as I've ever had a beer. The beer goes down smooth and is very drinkable. If I ever head over to Belgium, I'll enjoy myself a few.

05-09-2009 23:56:15 | More by Jablonski
stonequarrywest

Poured a diet coke without the ice color that gave a small tannish head.
Aroma is caramel..brown sugar...dark fruits
Tast is much of the same with the ABV hidden nicely

Mouthfell is rather nice and has a decent carbonation..

Not the most drinkable beer in my cellar. But I had to try it to see the hype of the #1 beer around.

05-08-2009 16:30:27 | More by stonequarrywest