Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,783
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
maximum12

4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to milwaukeeclassic & akorsak, who offered up this gem in trades within days of one another this summer. Split a bottle with the wife because it's...well, Thursday, & I felt like cracking one open.

Took a while for this one show its colors. It was too cold coming out of the fridge & after a few sips I wondered what all the hype was about. After a bit of cradling, the beer really opened up. The standoff-ishness vanished, & the dark fruits, warm alcohol, & almost wine-like smell really came out.

Sweet without being cloying, & not overpowered with booze. I can't say this is the best beer I've ever had, but it's a damn good quadrupel, & better with every warmed up sip. I'll let the last one sit a bit before I pop it open.

11-14-2008 03:02:41 | More by maximum12
Douglas88

Utah

Thanks to Eric for this amazing brew. From a bottle that is a few years aged. The taste was amazingly smooth. A great body and head. The overall taste is fruity, perhaps raisins or prunes with a sweeter strawberry. But the fruity taste is also combined with hops and some spices. Awesome. No need to say anything but top notch.

11-11-2008 01:10:42 | More by Douglas88
madnick

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

a buddy of mine shipped 4 of these to me for when he was home from iraq on R&R. thanks again mike!!! we were definately not let down. I'm not sure if its the best beer in the world...but it sure can't be far down the list. pours a beautiful dark color with a couple finger head in a chimay goblet. first taste is very, very smooth with an abundance of flavors. drinks extremely smooth without a harsh alcohol taste for such a strong beer. overall one of the best beers I've had the pleasure of drinking,even for a hophead like me. a trip to the monastery is in my future hopefully. I would recommend this one to anyone!

11-08-2008 06:17:50 | More by madnick
EGledhill

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Been saving this one for a special occasion and found out yesterday night that I got the job I've been wanting for a while. Time to open this.

Big thanks to srandycarter for hooking me up with this one. Poured into chalice glass

A. Murky brownish red body with a creamy white two finger head that last a good while and leaves a nice lacing.

S. Fruity nose dominates. Plums, raisons, mostly. Sweet malts, caramel, and a yeasty smell lay subtle. Smells pretty damn good.

T. Phenomenal... Easy on the palate. Much like the smell, Dark fruits with sweet candy hints, a slight bready taste, and very subtle on the alcohol. Taste lives up to all this beer is hyped up to be.

M. this has got to be the perfect mouthfeel. not too thin or thick. creamy head even added points to this.

D. I could sip one of these all day. the 10.2% would catch up to you sooner or later. But at the same time, I'd only want one every once in a while so it wouldnt cheapen the experience.

wow. I'd love to put some age on a bottle and see how it develops. Wonderful beer. Thanks again for the hookup randy.

11-06-2008 13:01:46 | More by EGledhill
emerge077

4.45/5  rDev -3.7%

BBD: 29.03.11
Bottled around March '08, guessing this based on the date printed on cap, three years from bottling date. Huge thanks to ygtbsm94 for this, a very generous trader.

Auburn brown with orange edges, a creamy texture to the foam. Served in a Moinette chalice. In time the head fades to a ring at the edge. Spotty bits of lacing, looks every bit the trappist ale. Malty, peppery aroma.

Taste is where it really shines, a concentrated dose of phenolic clove, rich complex malts, tobacco, and a drying bitter hop note towards the end. The yeast gives some minor grape fruitiness, but it's not pronounced. Very light sweetness in the middle that flourishes just for second. Creamy and full bodied. Holding it on the palate, you notice a hint of the alcohol warmth, but not in the taste. Exceptional body and drinkability. One to sip and contemplate.

It's hard to judge, while finely crafted, it's certainly not my personal favorite. Rochefort 10 has surpassed this at times, and other bottles fall short. One to savor and recognize as a benchmark Quadrupel.

11-06-2008 04:25:46 | More by emerge077
benclimbs

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Liquid Art - my friend said "when you read about mead in mythology, this is what it should taste like - mead is really not that wonderful - but this truly tastes like liquid honey in brewed form"

I can't say whether this lives up to the #1 beer in the world hype - though i can say this, along with the Rochefort 10 are the best belgian quads that I have tried.

This beer stands out as unique among all the other trappist beers and other Belgian 10s and 12s, as it stands out among all brews in the world.

It is incredibly drinkable, caramely yet not sweet...this is the most drinkable 10+% alcohol beer I have ever had.

I had to search far and wide (even in Brugges) to find this beer, and Im glad I did! Drank a bottle at an amazing pub there and brought a couple home.

11-06-2008 01:33:24 | More by benclimbs
Cs1987

Australia

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance - Dark reddish-brown, with some sediment. Poured with a very small head in a goblet, although this is no doubt due to poor handling when transported overseas, as I know this beer is supposed to have a large head.

Smell - While still fairly cold, this beer has a strong, sweet and fruity odour, nothing too special. As it warms, it acquires an amazing, very complex biscuity, fruity and spicy odour. I had to give this a five, because I couldn't imagine a beer smelling any better.

Taste - I ensured I did not have any preconceived notions as to what this beer would taste like before trying it. However, even though I poured it slightly too cold, I was hooked from the first taste. This beer has a perfect balance of dark fruits, cinnamon-like spices and sweetness. The alcohol is slightly noticeable, but is nothing to complain about. The flavour develops slightly with warming, but actually seems to weaken a fair bit if it is too warm. My first 5/5 for taste has most certainly not gone undeserved.

Mouthfeel - Amazingly light and smooth, not too sticky like some other Belgian ales.

Drinkability - I could totally see myself sessioning this. No, really.

Overall - My brother got this beer delivered for my 21st birthday (and I know he'll read this review, so thanks again!). However, I had many fears that what I had received would not live up to its reputation. I had heard stories about Westvleterens supposedly deteriorating significantly when transported overseas. Also, the fact that one of the beers I received was not in the usual Westvleteren bottle sparked fears that I may have received a cheap, recapped ripoff. However, the first taste assured me that this was the real deal. Though I have given this a much higher score than any other beer, I do not feel that I have been generous in any way with my scoring.

11-01-2008 00:54:09 | More by Cs1987
BeerBelcher

This beer has a sterling reputation, which I assumed was unearned. It's not. Granted much of its cache is due to its scarcity, but that doesn't change the fact that it is world-class.

Body was a dark red-brown with creamy white head with great staying power. Aroma was earthy, raisin-y, and distinctly cereal-y, but in a good way. The cereal-y of this and the other Westvleteren beers I tried had this underlying aroma that reminded me of the boiling mash smell that permeates the brewery when a boil is going on. Flavor is a bit like baking bread (that same malt-mash flavor) with raisins and a touch of sweetness and a noticeable alcohol tinge. Very balanced. At the top of the page, my notes say "Honestly, this is perfect."

I can't recommend this beer enough. I had it at the Cafe In De Vrede, across the street from the St. Sixtus abbey that brews the beer in Westvleteren. Awesome.

10-24-2008 01:36:18 | More by BeerBelcher
ncvbc

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Ruby brown in color with shades of rust and copper. Medium head but not near the retention of some in its class. It's still falls slowly to a ring, leaving random lacing down the glass. Smell is amazing. Not as big and rich in the malt department. It makes you anticipate a slightly less full body compared to others. Great scent of fruits. Some grape, raisin, plum, pear, and fig. More fruity than anything. Still a good touch of candy(i) sugar and light yeast. Leather. Some caramel is evident also. Taste is just as amazing. Good fruit flavors again, not too thick from caramel and the like. Candy sugar and a lightly toasted bready yeast. Also some subtle bubble gum flavor. A delicate touch of spice and candy sugar. Mouthfeel isn't as velvety as possible but very nice. More on the medium bodied side with a bit of spice. Alcohol is hardly noticeable in this brew. It's a pleasure to sip on, if possible. So full of flavor and complexity that it's tough to beat. Unbelievably drinkable for what it is.

10-21-2008 02:10:17 | More by ncvbc
Soneast

4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into my quad goblet. Pours a cloudy, dark reddish-brown color. Creates a 2 finger creamy, beige colored head, with really good retention and a whole lot of lace.

Aroma consist of sweet malts, brown sugars, caramelized raisins and other dark fruits with an earthy quality throughout. Some fresh baked bread yeastiness evident as well.

The flavor is also very complex. The front is predominately a sweet malty, toffee-like flavor with some dark fruits evident with a semi-sweet, rich, boozy finish.

Medium-heavy body with a really fine, sparkling carbonation factor. It just feels so good in my mouth. It is a beer that one could drink a lot of, while it is pretty heavy, the alcohol is hardly perceptible aside from the warming sensation. This beer gets a lot of attention but IMO it has definitely earned it's grade.

If you can get this beer do not hesitate. You won't be disappointed.

10-19-2008 16:20:29 | More by Soneast
boldcity2008

What can I say its hyped by most beer sites, but its number 1 in my book.

A: its pours from the 330ml bottle into a nice duvel type glass, dark brown with a big head served at 55f. What can say its the perfect beer.

S: very rich dark raisin and other plum type smells, no hop, and a slight bit of alcohol.

T: here where the rubber his the road, its all about the great rich taste to me, there is too much in here for me to figure out, but I know I love it, give me some Trappist cheese and I could die after with no regrets.

M: very full body and depending how much its been aged if its fresh you detect some alcohol, its only gets better with age.

D: I always have 3 in a row, so its dam drinkable to me

not a technical review because I just love Belgians and this one is number 1

10-14-2008 22:45:03 | More by boldcity2008
bkilpatr

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a Westvleteren glass. 10/12/08. Cap has 18.12.10 printed on it.

Pours a deep dark mahogany brown color with about one finger of light tan head. The head slowly dropped to just a thin layer, no lacing. The aroma is amazing and intense. Belgian yeast, bread, sweet malt, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, apple, raisin, date, fig, toasted nut, banana, clove, and alcohol make up the aroma. Very complex, one of the best smelling beers I've ever had.

Unfortunately the taste does not carry the same complexity as the aroma. It's still darn good though. Sweet malt, Belgian yeast and bread, brown sugar, candied sugar, raisin and fig, and a touch of alcohol make up the taste. The high alcohol (10%) is pretty well hidden.

This beer is smooth and not too heavy. Medium-full body and well-carbonated. Almost creamy. A bit of warmth from the alcohol. Drinkability is pretty good. The alcohol really sneaks up on me. It's really easy to drink for such a big beer. Definitely a sipper though.

Overall, a darn good beer. Try it if you get a chance, though it might be difficult to obtain.

10-13-2008 03:25:26 | More by bkilpatr
bonbini26

4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

10-11-08 Bottle from the Downtown Bar & Grill ($50!!!) hey you only live once, also my 100th review

Served @ room temperature

A- Pours a brown, a little clearer than i would thought, with a light head that it easy to sip through

S- Sweet and spicy, nose didnt really impress me at 1st, but came through more as i drank it. Some notes of figs, clove, bread, caramel

T- Again about halfway through the real flavors start to appear, dried fruit, some lemon, clove, earthy malty notes, very tasty

M- Not as creamy and thick as i thought it would, carbonation on the low side, with a semi-dry finish

D- Very high, alcohol does not jump at you, and this can be sipped and savored all night

Overall im glad i finally was able to try this beer, did it live up to the hype, yes and no, i still think Rochefort 10 is a better beer, alot cheaper and easier to find. I guess part of the hype with this beer is the availability of it. But dont get me wrong still an awesome beer, and as long as its rare you should try and seek it out at least once. I spoke with the owner at the Downtown Bar and he said he has about 10 bottles left right now

10-11-2008 14:22:38 | More by bonbini26
Mauerhan

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

i cracked open my westy with one of my best friends on our tenth anniversary... think what ya will its still awesome.

poured into a tulip glass, produced a nice two finger cream colored head. a beautiful rich brown color with bright ruby highlights around its edges. small to moderate lacing.

smell is awesome! i get apples, grapes, and a variety of dark fruits. smells delicious. i really wish they made a air freshener that smells like this. yum.

taste doesn't let down. the amazing thing to me is that the flavor hits every one of the tastes. sweet, bitter, sour, smooth. whoever decided to originally brew this should be blown by the hottest of the hot.

mouth feel is great. just the right amount of carbonation. smooth, gives a nice coating to the mouth. medium bodied. amazing flavor.

i could drink this beer alot. Its very smooth. and i dont want the end of my glass to come.

i think alot of this beer is hype. but it is still fantastic. yum.

10-07-2008 07:01:17 | More by Mauerhan
bluemoonswoon

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

Big big thanks to MtGoat for the trade that brought this beer to me. What better beer to review for my 300th than this beer right here in front of me.

A: Pours with a slight chill haze and with some yeast floaties, but otherwise looks like a dark apple cider. Poured into a large mouthed gobblet the head really doesn't get a chnage to show off like other beers but it is lively, bubbling up after a slightly aggressive pour to yeild a half inch sandy white head

S: Candi sugar, a splash of dark rum and brown sugar over a bevy of dark fruits like rasins and plums. Nothing overpowering, just subtle and sweet, very very sweet. Smells a bit like cake, if I close my eyes and sniff.

T/MF: Like the smell, the taste is not overpowering. Sweet, not sugary sweet, but rather a bready, a cupcake-sans-frosting kind of sweetness. Mildly fruity, the slightest bit nutty, brown sugar, sweet bread dough, rum covered rasins. Drinking this I can already tell that I am going to be sad when this beer is gone, this is the first beer I have ever said this about. The feel of this beer, high as an ABV as it does have, drinks so smoothly, bubbles so softly on the tonuge that it almost feels like a sessionable beer. It's size is so well hidden. The alcoholic warmth that does come near the end of the each sip, seems to compliment the rest of the beer, rather than hinder it. Finish is rather clean, but long and lasting, leaving a slight nutty sweetness on the tongue.

D: I can see why this beer is ranked as it is, this beer has something for everyone. It is subtle enough in taste to please even the staunchest BMC drinker around, no boozy heat, not raging hop bitterness or cloying malty sweetness. This is just a perfectly balanced, quiet, non-flashy, beer that is just an absolute pleasure to drink.

09-30-2008 02:52:05 | More by bluemoonswoon
flexabull

4.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle courtesy of leftmindedrighty, thanks again!

Cap marked 7.3.10

Been holding this one for a while, I just had a great weekend, and in celebration of that, and the Phillies winning the NL East, I figured this would be a fitting beer.

Pours a dark brown color with a thin off white head.

Aromas are nutty, of booze, oak, and some dark chocolates as well. Very complex and a pleasant to sniff.

Taste starts out with a soft mouthfeel and a crisp finish. Creamy malts, a bit chocolate like, nutty, oaky, and some sweet light cola flavors. Flavors are complex, but soft and meld together really well. It certainly doesn't taste like it's a 10+% ABV beer, only the slightly hint of booze and alcohol warmth. Quite smooth and actually even a little subtle.

Mouthfeel is superb. Thick, full, smooth, and with perfect carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I really enjoyed this one. It's definitely top notch, excellent, and well worth the praise. However... I'll take Rochefort 10 or Pannepot. I liked those 2 just a little bit better than this one.

09-29-2008 03:57:16 | More by flexabull
nvsblman

Arizona

Pours a deep brown with a nice layer of light brown head. Smells of dried dark fruits with some nice spiciness and caramel. The taste, wow the taste. At first sip, I thought it was pretty good, nice and complex. But the flavor just keeps lingering and developing. Fruits, sugars, a little doughy. Definitely some nutiness in the aftertaste. Also almost seems like a little black tea on the finish. Great mouthfeel. Sticky but smooth. This beer has managed to surpass any expectations I had!

09-22-2008 00:23:57 | More by nvsblman
paco1029384756

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Thanks to jojox for the bottle. Saved this one for my 100th review.

Pours a deep murky brown color with a thick short lived head and a fine ring of lacing.

Scent is deep and fruity with yeast, raspberries, brown sugar, candi sugar and some malts. Top notch scent, I could smell this all day, just wonderful.

Taste of bananas, brown sugar, candi sugar, raspberries and blueberries. Alcohol is present, but is perfectly balanced out with the sweetness. Finish is as strong as the initial taste with the same flavors lingering.

Mouthfeel is powerful and gripping, leaks into your sinus as you hold it in your mouth giving it an incredible depth.

Drinks great for the strength and style.

While not the best beer I have ever had it is certainly one of the best and I believe it was worth the hype. I will be looking to get more of this whenever possible and I am very glad to have been able to try it.

09-21-2008 23:41:01 | More by paco1029384756
HopDerek

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

Major thanks to ralflord for hooking me up with this one.

Pours a cloudy dark chestnut brown color with 2 fingers of creamy tan head into a tulip glass. Amazing retention with beautiful lacing that is both thick and sticky and also slides down the glass to reconnect with its brethren. Smells of cocoa, caramel, vanilla, honey, sweet bread, dark fruits, cinnamon, clove, rose petals, coriander, candy, light yeast, and slight alcohol. Tastes of candy, fruits like apple and pear, spices, a touch of citrus juice, caramel, sweet bready malts, cocoa powder, figs, plums, cherries, earthy notes, peppercorns, a touch of yeast, and a slight dash of alcohol. An amazing balance of flavors, each pronounced at first along the journey and then gently fading away, leaving only a hint of lingering taste behind. Smooth and velvety with a nice dry finish and great carbonation. Simply a fantastic beer, not my favorite beer of all-time, but definitely the best Quadrupel I've experienced and among the best beers out there. For as high in ABV as it is, it covers it up beautifully. This is a sipping beer, but only because you don't want the glass to run empty. Definitely worth a try whenever you may find it.

09-19-2008 22:37:05 | More by HopDerek
mhewes

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

A : Pours a murky dark brown with a little bit of tan head

S : Big malty aromas. There's also some brown sugar sweetness, dark fruits, and yeast aromas

T : This one has a big malty flavor that has some serious dark fruit flavors. There's some sweetness throughout with a slight alcohol taste on the finish

M : Full-bodied, creamy, and incredibly smooth

D : Very easy to drink. I would love to get more of this hard to find beer. Greatest beer in the world? Probably not but it's not far off that mark.

09-15-2008 13:30:11 | More by mhewes
tbeck

Washington

4.45/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A couple of work buddies and I chipped in to buy a case of this off Ebay, well worth it.

Pours a dark brown with no clarity. A thick brownish head. Aroma was honey and ripe fruit and tones of alcohol, very pleasing. Taste was very complex, some honey, fruit, and alcohol. Very well-balanced with sweetness. Chewy texture with a slight carbonation fizz, very smooth in the palate. Excellent beer good taste and not excessively filling. It does pack a punch which may put it out the desire as a session beer, but enjoyable none the less.

09-15-2008 04:52:43 | More by tbeck
RoBotGod

Colorado

The best thing about this beer is it goes through several different changes during the process of drinking it and all of them are great. The pour was a dark brown but not black. The nose came out with dates, caramel, leafs, and strong yeast. The texture was some what like champagne. Tasted way lighter then it looked. I almost could not taste the alcohol at all. When it started to warm up I started getting a heavy tobacco taste, would have even been good with a cigar or what ever it is you put in your pipe. Also some strong licorice flavors. The malt is perfect and not heavy at all. Not sure of the date of mine but I would love to try one of these that as quite of bit of age on it.

09-10-2008 04:06:54 | More by RoBotGod
TomBottos

4.78/5  rDev +3.5%

A very good customers of mine was gracious enough to give me a bottle in trade. I told them I didn't have anything worthy of that beer to trade. . . anyway.
Pour rich into the glass.
Smell was rich with malty undertones.
Appearence was dark roasted brown color. Looked very drinkable.
Taste was smooth, balanced, sweet and finished just the same.
Overall maybe the best single beer I have had. Wish I had more than 1 bottle.

09-03-2008 19:41:40 | More by TomBottos
Tdizzle

4.85/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to my friend OlieIPA for procuring this in a trade and selling me a bottle.

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Chimay chalice, this beer pours a murky dark brown color with a creamy light-brown head that settles to a medium-thin layer, leaving only a few sheets of lacing after each sip.

S- The aroma is sugary and malty with sticky dark fruits, molasses and Belgian yeast as the most prominent characteristics. There are accents of indiscernible spices and with burnt sugar as well. The alcohol is only slightly noticeable even as the beer reaches room temperature.

T- The initial taste mirrors the aroma, with flavors of malty sweetness and dark fruits making their way to maple syrup and brown sugar town. There is a slight alcohol warmth on the finish, which also leaves a mild tea-like bitterness on the palate.

M- The mouthfeel is creamy and velvety smooth with very mild carbonation.

D- This beer is very drinkable considering its immensely complex flavor profile and a 10.2% ABV. Each sip leaves you in anticipation of the next.

09-01-2008 04:40:40 | More by Tdizzle
joepais

Maine

4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

Well its time to crack this one open I won this particular bottle in a LIF hosted by Life is good major Karma goes her way. I figured this was the perfect time to celebrate this brew the last weekend of summer, the working mans weekend, and all truly life is good.

Bottle served slightly chilled in my favorite chalice. The pour produced a good two fingers worth of Brown head that goes to a great lace. The body was brown to a dark red in color

The nose has tons of Malts and dark fruits It is a little less Intense than expected But it may be just reality catching up to expectation. There was a hint of spice and alcohol as well as it warms.

Flavors of sweet dark fruits filled my mouth raisins figs and such. As it warms more of the alcohol is present in its bite but so does the spiciness in the flavor as well .Great mouthfeel and perfect carbonation for its style

For this holy grail of all brews this was a pleasure to drink, highly drinkable. The rarity of this brew aside. I do think it is close to a few of the other Belgian Quads I have tried St. Bernardus comes to mind. Don't get me wrong this brew was better balanced in the flavor department but I think if it comes down to it St. Bernardus is a close second.
Thanks again Life is good for sharing such a rare brew as well as another BA who will remain nameless for trading me one to put away for my son when he is legal age. Who knows I may even split it 60 /40 LOL

08-31-2008 22:28:15 | More by joepais