Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,904
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

medium/dark brown in appearance with a good amount of head.
nose of ripe berries and nuts, this is a very complex brew.
taste is extraordinary and probably has the best mouthfeel of any beer I've ever had. It is scary how easy this one is to drink...at 10.2% abv, it hides it very well! I have tried this beer on 3 different occasions and it remains to be one of my favorites!

ajg83, Mar 01, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Review #300. Can't think of a better one to review than #1.

Muddy brown pour with a rich finger of foam. Nice rings of lacing on the glass.

Ridiculously complex nose. So much going on. Dark fruits, brown sugar, Belgian yeast, candi sugar, tobacco, leather...the list goes on. I'd be perfectly content just smelling this beer, but, come on, it's Westy 12. Down the hatch.

Every component of the nose shows up in the flavor. Unbelievable. Just a really earthy flavor of figs and plums, brown sugar, tobacco...light bitter finish. Outstanding flavor.

Great texture. Tingly and soft at the same time. Absolutely no hint of the ABV. Such an easy drinking quad, too. Clearly the best.

Gyle41386, Feb 28, 2010
4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

Review #600. Bottle brought back from Belgium by my wife - thanks Bryna! Served in a Westvleteren goblet. Best before February 10th, 2011, so roughly two years old.

A - Thank god! After the flat bottle I had in Toronto I was worried. The cap comes off with a hiss and a touch of gunsmoke. Pours with a voluminous two fingers of dark tan foam (impressive for a goblet!), that dissipates quite slowly and leaves glass-coating lacing and a thick cap. The body is a nearly opaque dark plum color.

S - The smell literally explodes out of the glass, with an initial wave of dark fruits and berries. Plums, prunes, raisins, black cherries - they're all here. There's some vinous red wine notes that emerge, along with a touch of sweet tobacco, apples, and nuts. There's a caramel malt backbone that ties things together, but stays in the periphery. As it warms a touch of booze peeks through to remind you that this is for sipping.

T - The taste is very grape-forward, with notes of port, red wine, dark fruits, rum-cake, and caramel. It's not as saccharine as Rochefort 10, as it's balanced by a dryish and slightly woody finish. While the taste isn't quite as complex as the nose, the alcohol is better hidden.

M - The body is chewy and viscous, without becoming heavy or syrupy. Carbonation is present, but soft. Finishes surprisingly dry with only mild residual stickiness. Not much in the way of alcohol heat at all. It's everything I'd want in a quad, and maybe even a bit more.

D - So, is it the best beer in the world? Probably not, but it's a superb one nonetheless. It's shockingly drinkable for a 10.2% quad, and I could actually have more than one of these without feeling diabetic too. There's been a lot written about this beer, and I'm not sure there's much I can add - it's excellent, highly recommended, and worthy of the acclaim that has been heaped upon it.

MasterSki, Feb 27, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

We were lucky enough to have the opportunity to bring back a case of this amazing beer while visiting Belgium last fall. When I finally got to the front of the line, I asked for a case and the monk asked me, "You know you can have two?" It was very tough to take only one, but we had enough trouble getting it back.

Poured into a Westvleteren glass, the beer is a deep brown, maybe slightly hazy but it's hard to tell. The fluffy head fades, but lingers nicely as a thin, off white layer.

The aroma is rich, ripe dark fruit, sweet and estery with a bit of powdery yeast. Just a bit of alcohol pushes its way through.

The flavor is sweet upfront with nice dark fruity malt. A bit of sharp alcohol pushes in, but the estery sweetness fights it off. There is a bit of chalky, powdery yeast flavor in the finish, but the sweet, candied dark fruit and light herbal hops push it out.

The flavors in this beer are extremely complex yet unified. I don't know if this is really the best beer in the world, but it is certainly one of the greats.

ericj551, Feb 27, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from bottle into Orval Chalice

Appearance: Dark, nearly opaque brown with a large, long-standing tan head. Foam stays.

Smell: Sweet bread and yeast notes, with grape and happle hints. Also, some slight floral aromas.

Taste: Sort of a "dirty" flavor. Yeast throughout, finishing with notes of alcohol and heavy tart apple flavors and a slight hint of red wine.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and chewy, smooth, with balanced, natural carbonation. The finish warms you up a bit.

Drinkability: This is an absolutely outstanding beer. It tastes great, smells great, looks great, and, unsurprisingly, drinks great. If you can get your hands on this beer, do it- now.

Thanks to Brabander, who sent some bottles of this and thanks to my roommate, wahmaster, for allowing me to have one.

Mosstrooper, Feb 25, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -12.6%

Many thanks to deliriumfest for pulling this one out of the cellar when I was visiting. The bottle was split equally among three glasses. This is my first quad, so I may as well start at the top.

Poured an opaque and perhaps cloudy brown with a nice head that left good lacing. The predominant aroma on the nose was one of apple and a malty sweetness. Upon sipping the beer has a number of flavours each momentarily landing on the palate: fruit, light bitterness, a surprisingly sweet malt. The beer was balanced with none of the strong ABV apparent. The beer was nice, but not mindblowingly good.

I have had better beers (that night even).

kjyost, Feb 24, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from bottle into my imperial pint glass. I split it with Gtreid! I owe him this one and soooo much more.

A- Poured a caramel color. It was brown with shades of orange. Had a frothy head that was 3/4'' of a inch. It left nice lacing on the way down.

S- Figs, malts, apples, caramel, brown sugar,molasses, and orange zest. I felt like I was in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when they were licking the candy flavored wallpaper. I couldn't wait to dive into this beer.

T- It was funny, Gtreid and I both stated at the same time that it tasted like caramel apples and apple pie. It was AMAZING! All the flavors stood out on their own yet at the same time they blended together perfectly. It seriously was a gr8 experience. I didn't get alot of alcohol in the taste and if you would've told me the ABV was 10+ I wouldn't have believed it.

M- Nice and creamy. Perfectly balanced. I def want more!!!!

D- I have never been happier knowing that my father in law travels to Belgium on a regular basis. I want to drink this everyday. I will def revisit this masterpiece as often as I can.

urwithdave, Feb 23, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Lucky enough to get a hold of one of these from a very generous trader. Would this live up to the hype? The answer is yes. This is the best Belgian beer I have had, hands down. This handles all the complex quad flavors so well it's ridiculous. It is actually hard to pick out individual flavors. I found myself saying "wow..." at just about every sip. This is a complex, rich, fruity, malty, awesome beer. The mouthfeel is so smooth, and goes down so easy. If I could get this everyday, I could easily put down a few at once. I kind of feel like I'm fueling the hype train, but it deserves it. Drank this after a Roch 10 and before a Bernardus 12, and it was head and shoulders above those two.

khumbard, Feb 22, 2010

I have had this beer in both Brussels and Antwerp, it is by far the greatest gift the art of beer brewing has ever received.

Westvleteren 12 is a Quadruple style Belgian ale. Pouring a beautiful rich dark caramel color with a thick frothy head it's armoa is a mix between a bakery and a ripe orchard. It tastes of fresh baked wheat bread, honey coated cinnamon, sweet cloves, sticky molasses, and ripe figs. At 10.20% ABV it is a forced to be reckoned with and demands patience and respect.

silasmoon, Feb 20, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

I was definitely worried that the considerable hype would lead to disappointment - boy was I mistaken.
A: Poured a dark hazy copper brown with a rich one finger head that receded to a light cap with thick lacing.
S: Very complex with notes of malt, molasses, figs, cloves, butter, bananas, yeast, and alcohol. There was an earthy undercurrent hidden at the bottom - almost like mushrooms. For me, the aromas were intense at the beginning and remained strong throughout the tasting.
T: Wow! Incredibly smooth with a multitude of extremely well layered notes. Dry with sweet caramel maltiness and cloves. Notes of molasses and sugars with rich fruits like bananas, raisins, and figs. Mellow butterscotch notes with hints of yeast followed by citrusy bitterness. Sweet malty residue on the lips at the end.
M: Decadently smooth and creamy. Full bodied with decent carbonation.
D: I could drink many. The alcohol is well hidden - a true delight!

spratmi, Feb 20, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle courtesy of Harpreet..Pours mahogany, semi-cloudy, with a medium tan head that leaves only a little bit behind. Awesome aroma of dark fruits (plum, date, raisin, fig), caramel, malts, spices, and faint alcohol. The flavor lives up to the nose, with the same dark fruits, caramel, and malts, as well as mild spices, nuts, wood, and warming alcohol. Medium bodied, really smooth, and alcohol is pretty subdued for being 10%. It's hard to find flaws in this one- maybe the body is thin for the style, and the color isn't the most beautiful shade of mahogany. But those are just tiny observations that mean virtually nothing compared to this beer as a whole. I never thought this could live up to the hype, but it absolutely satisfied all expectations. I can't wait to visit the place someday and try some there.

hophead247, Feb 15, 2010
4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

Big thanks to my new beer swilling buddy urwithdave for sharing this amazing brew. 11.7 oz bottle poured into my stone ris tulip.

A: Slightly cloudy caramel copper color. The pour drops a nickel size kahki head thAt leaves some nice spidery lace.

A: smells of rich caramel, canddied figs, and sweet apple pie. Earthy hops and just a ton of sweet malt.

T: I don't think a quad could taste any better. Sweet malt, candy, apples, figs, and caramel. The flavor profile is just out of this world. Finishes sweet and dry with no hint of the abv.

M: Creamy, smooth, and absolutely perfect. Aggressive carbonatin delivers the flavor nicely.

D and overall impression: I could drink this all night, it really doesn't get any better. Overall this is one of the best brews I have ever had. Simply amazing! Skal.

Gtreid, Feb 14, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Got mine as a gift, bought in a beer shop in Brussels. Served in a Riedel glass at 15.6C (60F)

A: Pours an almost pitch black liquid with a thick, slightly beige fluffy head. Nice head retention. The beer almost looks like a Bordeaux around the edges of the glass and leaves an outstanding lacing. Viscous and creamy

S: Satisfying alcohol nose. Port wine, red grapes, dates and a slight belgian yeast aroma. Spicy; pepper and clove. Slitghly acidic dark malt and brown sugar. Extremely smooth and beautiful smell! I could smell this for ages and be a very happy man....

T: ....wow. I mean, really, WOW. VERY good beer. Once again, I get port wine and a great warming alcohol thing. Dates and figs. Perfectly balanced, some noble hop-like aromas in the finish and slightly dry bitterness. Very smooth on the palate. I'd never guess it was over 10% ABV thanks to the expceptionally soothing mouthfeel. Very spicy, exotically peppery and bitter orange peel in the finish. All flavors I pick up are perfectly balanced to one another, none of them are dominant in a bad way. Chocolate, molasses, brown sugar - sweet but not too sweet. That's how we like it!

M/D: Very creamy and full-bodied, yet exceptionally drinkable for the style. Smooth and warming with perfect CO2. I expected a bigger head though. Without a doubt a winner nonetheless! Hit the perfect serving temp smack down IMHO.

Probably one of the best beers in the world, regardless of the hype. Fantastic, and very unique, flavor. Too bad I don't have more... :'(

krunchie, Feb 12, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

My buddy brought out one aged 5 years and one that had aged 10 years and you could simply experience the difference. The 10 year bottle was pure perfection. As you experience the incredible amount of flavor and the yeasty punch after the first sip, you are immediately feel this balancing sensation on the back of your tongue. Quite unexplainable. Simply delicious.

theMarksRA, Feb 10, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -8.9%

split bottle with PaulMPap, poured into unibroue chalice.

a- deeep, dark, murky brown with some floaties. nice little fluffy head with good but not great lacing.

s- hype or not this stuff smelled amazing. baked bread, brown sugar, figs, cinnamon, prunes, raisins, licorice, basically smells like if you mixed everything that is the color brown that tastes fantastic and liquify it.

t&m- pretty much what i expected... a heavy, earthy hop tone with hints of malts, sugars and dried fruits. liquid alcoholic cinnamon teddy grahams. cant even taste the alcohol, very well masked and truly a thing of beauty to drink.

d- smooth and delicious, lives up to the hype for me!! IMO not the best beer in the world, but damn near close. looking forward to getting my own bottle very soon and not sharing!!

caresville, Feb 08, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay chalice. Thanks Thijs (Brabander) for the hook-up!!

Appearance: Pours a dark black color with reddish edges. Has a large foamy head that dissipates slowly and leaves a ton of lacing.

Smell: Very complex. Has hints of dark fruits, grapes, citrus, spice, caramel, and many other things. Very strong-smelling.

Taste: Has an intense wine-like taste up front that finishes sweet with hints of caramel. Also finishes with a heavy alcoholic bite. Also has that typical yeasty flavor typical of most Belgian beers. This is one of the most complex and flavorful beers I've had yet.

Mouthfeel: Relatively full-bodied with a nice carbonation bite. Kinda was expecting more here but I'm not that disappointed.

Drinkability: A truly world-class brew. I'm deeply grateful to brabander for the opportunity to try this one. If you can get your hands on it, try it!!

wahhmaster, Feb 07, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -6.1%

11.2oz bottle courtesy of SirSketch. Thanks! Poured three ways into Heineken tasting glasses.

A - Yeasty, dark brown, and hazy. Much darker than I expected. Thin head, a skim coat of bubbles on the surface.

S - Smells largely like bread dough as its rising. Quite yeasty, the slightest touch buttery, cereal grains. Much different than I expected, but quite good.

T - Hmm, not at all what I was expecting, but very good. Sweet up front, a bit of root beer, sugary, some cola. Yeasty, bready, some belgian yeast character. Quite different from other quads I've had, but definitely very nice. A unique experience.

M - Somewhat on the thin side of medium bodied. Carbonation isn't particularly high, but is definitely right for this beer. Somewhat creamy in feel, and a bit soda-like also.

D - Very drinkable beer, especially for a quad. I typically find quads to be a bit rough and very much a sipper of a beer. Not this one...flavors are strong but balanced...nothing hot about this from an alcohol standpoint. Very drinkable...excellent.

portia99, Feb 07, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Received this in trade from ZymasefungiI207I, much thanks. Had this with my wife and two of my best friends. Poured from a bottle into a tulip, it pours a moderate brown that is quite hazy and basically opaque. A light tan head forms and sticks around leaving a mild lacing. Carbonation is readily visible.

The aroma is where this begins to take off for me. Nice notes of grass and sweet malty, almost candy component. Complex and difficult to fully delineate, almost cotton candy-ish but very good.

The taste is a great mixture of spices, as well as a fruity sweetness that seems to be primarily grape. Very complex but tasty with a firm malty sweet backbone that seems to boost the spices. Alcohol is noticeable.

The mouthfeel is medium/full bodied. The sweetness goes down fairly smoothly and leaves a mild dry/bitterness at the finish. Just the right amount of carbonation.

This beer is very drinkable. The ABV actually makes it a bit dangerous but yum in every respect. Again, much thanks for the beer and I hope many people continue to enjoy.

SykDoc, Feb 07, 2010
4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

Split a 330 mL picked up at in de vrede. Reviewed 10/8/2009 in tulips.

Ar: spicy and funky, dark sweet with floral, tart fruit, much better with warmth, alcohol, grape, earthy, herbal hop, fruity and doughy (dark dough), unique, similar to 8, smooth fruitiness, lightly wine like, plum/prune, strong grape juice

Ap: rocky tan mousse like head, very good retention, hazy dark mahogany/deep red with purple highlights, smooth lace

F: dark fruit, heavy, woody with unique spice, grape, plum, herbal hop, unique assertive and rich, alcohol, strong grape, rich berries (blackberry), smooth roast, toffee, dried dark fruit, starts with earthy caramel/toffee, then grape and fruity with berries and light tartness, then spicy herbal end with hop bitterness and alcohol, woody grape and earth like grape seeds, sweet but pleasant, good sipper, long complex spicy taste, dark spices, less spicy tart grape would help balance, *minty grapey spicy alcohol with tartness defines this beer, resinous hop, dark dough, pastries, prune and date, dark dry fruit, dark cherry, chocolate hints, much more bready than expected, unique grape, much better than St. Bernardus 12

M: Thick and Creamy, high fine carbonation, chewy, great fullnes without being too heavy, light alcohol heat in stomach/throat

O: different than remembered, great hop, very unique minty herbal resin and earthy grape, very good, complex, better with warmth, rich layers, assertive, *more fruity than roasty, *huge flavor, like the blonde more

*= ideas from fellow taster

DaveJanssen, Feb 06, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Ahhhh the legendary Westy 12. Pulled out my last bottle of this at a recent tasting of friends. Poured into a wonderful Cantillon snifter/wine glass thing that said friends gave me for a Christmas/Birthday gift.

A - Poured a slightly-viscous brown with a thin but long lasting head.

S - Amazingly complex. Figs, malt, raisins, and dates. I spent a good 2 minutes just smelling this beer. It truly is a great smell, my favorite quad tied with St. Bernardus 12, which is amusing and expected, given their history.

T - Amazing fruit and malt flavors, like a hyped up dubbel. Fruits similar to fig, dried orange and the aforementioned raisins. There is nary a hint of alcohol here, it's just very well balanced and masked by the flavors here.

M / D - Mouthfeel here deserves some special attention: This is just chewy and moist, an incredible refreshing mouthfeel to this. Wonderfully drinkable as I wish I had more than my 5 ounce pour on this.

So, is it the end all be all? The ratings don't lie: This is an amazing beverage. I think the rarity and mystique probably add to the experience, but believe the hype: This beer deserves the acclaim.

mutterfudder, Feb 01, 2010
4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

A good beer, like a good wine, must exist in time. This is to say, it must be good at the moment you have it, but also good in the scheme of beers as a whole such that as new styles and techniques evolve it remains well regarded and enjoyable. The fact that this one has acquired a nickname (Westy) is a testament to this. Out of a bottle provided by BA members (THANK YOU!) this legend was a deep, copper color with burgundy highlights. It was visibly viscous, leaving good streaks of lacing off the well-retained head. The aroma was complex and demanding; a sensual blend of ripe plums, dates and dark fruits galore. Behind that was alcohol (esp. dark rum), chocolate, spices and the pungent twist of Belgian yeast. The flavors were just as big and layered. Chocolate, more dark fruits, coffee hints, raisins, wood, cinnamon, figs etc. etc. The doughy notes were hard to discern under the other heavier elements but the impact was like an alcohol soaked fruitcake. Despite the depth of the beer it was indeed a brew with finesse and a good finish. Easy to drink? No. It's rich and intense. Pleasant to drink? Yes, especially if you love beer. A casual drinker could be run over by this thing. The mouthfeel was good and creamy but not amazing, the body full without being heavy and the carbonation right on. Relatively drinkable for all that is has to offer and a genuine joy for the advanced palate. In short, this delivered on every level including living up to its reputation and if you can find it, do so.

thekevlarkid, Jan 31, 2010
4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

After a night of disappointing beers, I figured this was the perfect moment to pull this one out. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Rochefort chalice. Bottled March 2008.

A- Pours a dark burgundy. Semi-clear. The bits of yeast that poured into the glass seemed to be suspended in the glass, absolutely motionless...even after I shook the glass. Produced a fingers width of off-white head. Some lacing and good head retention.

S- Exactly what I want in a quad. Nice sweet malt backbone with an influence of various dark fruits. Picking up figs and raisins. Very balanced and restrained.

T- As soon as the beer touches the palate, figs and raisins give off a sweet, fruit flavor...very mellow and just divine. As it settles, more of the malt flavors come out, adding a depth of sweetness. There's a slight bitterness in the finish. All the flavors mesh together perfectly...extremely balanced.

M- If there is a part of this beer that separates it from others in this style, this is it. Medium bodied with perfect viscosity for a quad. The carbonation gave it a fuller mouthfeel.

D- Nothing out of place, just smooth and balanced. The high alcohol is kept in check by the other flavors. Very easy to drink for a big beer.

Is this the best beer in the world? Absolutely not. Is this beer the best quad in the world? Debatable. Are the ratings influenced by hype? Without a doubt. That being said, this is a high quality beer. Flavors and ingredients are very much in synch...I can't explain it, but the mouthfeel is honestly what makes this beer. If you could equate the feel of velvet on the skin, that's what the texture of the beer felt like on the palate. Bottom line, good shit! However, I will not go out of my way to pay $20 for a 12 oz. bottle.

EDIT: the more and more I drink this, the more I realize how ridiculous the mouthfeel is. Truly a thing of beauty.

rhinos00, Jan 30, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

Wouldn't of been able to try it if it wasn't for BA Buddy Brabander

A- Nice brown with ruby highlights and great head that goes to a little bit of foam that lingers. With carbonation that very slowly churns in the center. It laces the glass very nicely.

S- I get a nice boutique of fruits like apples, grape, and raisin. Caramel, molasses with a little burn of alcohol but in no way bad. The grape and raisin bite harder in the end. Good sweet malts and yeast and loving the brown sugar.

T- The nice complex fruit tastes like the apples, mixed grapes, caramel, molasses, yeastiness, and light on the pepper. Nice sweet malts, a bit of leather and wood. It's definitely a complex beer.

M- Nice full body with a nice chewy bite to it. Also a little bubbly in the back.

D- It's definitely a sit down and talk beer, but I could definitely drink several. It's one of those that are so good you just want to sip on to make it last.

Winters, Jan 27, 2010

Well what can I say... Had this at the café next to the abbey and have since enjoyed several bottles at home.

color is dark amber, almost looks black, depending on the light
smell is wonderful, fruity and caramel
taste, perfection. you can hardly taste the alcohol behind the rush of flavors, fruits (raisins, figs) slight gingerbread taste, sweet caramel. but not overpoweringly sweet, just enough

digita7693, Jan 25, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

This one is pretty hard to review with all the hype.

God I love Christmas. Rated side by side blind with Dieu du ciel Rigor Mortis and St. Bernardus Abt 12. Very spicy, nutty aroma with some fruitiness. Very rich nutty taste, lots of booze and tropical fruits. Full, creamy, A+ mouthfeel. A beautiful beer but a little young.

Luk13, Jan 17, 2010