Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,791
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
IntriqKen

4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

geeze...I hate trying to review this beer. So much hype has surrounded it that you almost feel like you have to say it's heavenly.
Well...it is...but I don't think I can really adequately describe why or it's attributes.

Pours a beautiful amber brown with a faint amber head that melts to a ring of lacing that lasts thoughout the drink.

Aroma is sweet malts...period.
**edit...one year later...there is nothing simple about the aroma...sweet malts, yes, but dark fruits, candied sugars...more...no words... One year later I am forced to kick up my rating of the Aroma from a 4.5 to a 5.0...it truly is exceptional.

Taste is sweet candy malt, smooth dark fruits...raisins...prunes....others.
***edit...one year later...yep...all of the above...still few words and can't add much to what I already wrote.

Aftertaste is slightly dark fruit sweetness and alcohol warmth.

I know this is a bad discription of this brew, but the bottom line is this is incredibly smooth, warming, and sweet.

***edit.
For my BA Anniversary I received two very fresh bottles of this brew...I just remembered...the orginal review was of a fresh bottle as well.
This beer really does deserve it's hype...it is extremely complex and obviously very well crafted. I would like to try another St. Berny's 12 for comparison again...another excellent quad...but this one really is worth the hype, if not the price.

08-06-2006 04:38:02 | More by IntriqKen
makisupa

Connecticut

4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

My father surprised me, last week, with a package on my doorstep. Low and behold, it contained 2-bottles of Westvleteren. The 8 and 12. A few months ago, at a RAQshow, I was lucky enough enough to have my friend Antonio share his recently ordered Westvleteren 8 with me. One worthy for review, but not in this forum. Regardless, the 8 has been placed in my cellar for drinking in probably in 2-years. This leads me to the Westy 12. I let it reside in it's box, out of sunlight, over the weekend. 3-days later I placed it in the fridge and another 4 to 5-days laters we proceeded to drink it. So here we are...

We cooked a generous portion of mussels seasoned in basil, onions, cream, garlic and white wine. We took the Westy 12 out of the fridge, opened it and let it breathe while we ate our mussels, bread and salad and drank a Victory Grand Gru with dinner. After dinner, we poured the bottle into two Tripel Karmeleit tulip glasses. I have a thing for tulip glasses - I prefer them over all others regardless what might be recommended.

The beer poured dark brown into the first glass and produced a half-inch head which dissolved quickly. The second pour resulted in no head and finished with with a much darker, murkier result. The lacing on both was little only resulting in tan bubbles sporadically placed on the edge of the glass. The smell resembles a brown with banana highlights and alcohol is easily traceable through the nostril. From sip to sip the taste is very complex and, like the Westy 8, the finish is as smooth as smooth can be and this is what makes Westy the best beer in the world. Its finish cannot be matched. I hope to order more of this beer as I feel, like Corsendonk Christmas Ale, it will taste much better with age. My guess is 2-years min and max.

08-03-2006 01:59:51 | More by makisupa
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Vintage 1997

Poured clear mahogany until the near bottom of bottle arrived, which added murky sediment and a few flakes.
Off-white head was moderate, not large, and receded within two minutes to edging only.
No lacework except for a few erratic dots.
Aromatics lead off with boozy figs, raisins, caramel, chocolate covered apple, and a hint of mandarin underneath.
Rum-soaked dark fruits with a tootsie roll center.
Nose rounds out very warming with vineous notes and vanilla.
On the larger side of medium bodied, slightly syrupy but quite creamy, and a bit sticky. Carbonation on the low side.
Pallet is alcohol-laden with chocolate, caramel, toffee, raisins, and ripe fruits.
Bitterness is perfectly balanced, keeping the residuals in check.
Finishes with a lingering warmth on the throat, with rummy caramel notes and vanilla.
Only the slightest wet paper note is a detraction, and a decent trade-off for some added vineousity.
Kick ass after nine years.

08-02-2006 00:14:30 | More by brewandbbq
shroompod

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Had to order this beer to see what all the hoopla is about. I received 3 bottles 3 days ago. I had one chillin in the fridge. This doesn't seem long enough to let the yeast compact , but I'll drink it anyway. dated 24-05-09 , so it's very fresh.

This poured a hazy dark brown. Creamy head that lasts.

Smell is has some bourbon/alcohol notes. Faint hop aroma.

Taste has some dark fruit , possibly prune or raisin up front. This melds into a nice light hop bitterness and seems to finish with some woodsy bourbon flavors. Couldn't find anything objectionable.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly crisp and light considering the amount of alcohol and flavors.

Drinkability is amazing , very balanced. I could sip a few of these all night.Could I be buying into the hype, I dunno ? I like this beer.

07-27-2006 00:26:01 | More by shroompod
nickd84

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

After lurking for many months, this is my first review for BA, because it is practically high treason to drink this beer and *not* review it. Westvleteren 12 is absolutely spectacular, worth the year of uncorroborated hearsay that I've seen here. One owes it to themselves to track this beer down, regardless of what style they prefer. It took me 1.5 years before I had good enough trade fodder for it... thanks so much to Aloha for the hookup.

Pours a surprisingly light amber, like many brunes, with very little head and subtle lacing. Carbonation is perfectly balanced, very subtle and warming.

I could spend a long time picking apart the various flavors of this beer, but it's a lost cause because the flavors continue to show themselves differently after every sip, every minute increase in temperature, every separate bottle in every context that I could possibly drink this in. More importantly than the flavor, one thing I think many reviewers overlook here is that this beer is so animated, it has such a distinctive character and personality - and it's so dynamic that it reveals new sides of itself after every sip. My first sip was different from my second sip, which was different from my third, and on and on for 90 minutes.

The best point of comparison, unsurprisingly, is Bernardus 12 from the tap; but this is richer, far more complex, with a bit more pronounced alcohol at the finish in its warmer stages.

I rarely place a beer on my shortlist until I've had multiple experiences with it, to develop a relationship with it and discover new things after every bottle. I will gladly make an exception for this one, not because of its rarity and hype but because it gave such a positive first impression that to do anything else just feels wrong. If it isn't the best beer in the world, it's certainly in the top five, and I say that with confidence after only one bottle. It sits in a class with my other favorites - Rochefort 10, Westmalle Tripel, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - of quality, subtlety, and depth that just demolishes every other beer out there.

I want another right now. Writing this review makes me a little sad that I'm presently drinking something besides it.

07-24-2006 04:04:25 | More by nickd84
geetlord

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

My friend braught this bottle back with him from Belguim and I am very glad that he shared it with me.
This beer poured a very dark amber with excelent lacing
its aroma was full of dark berries, black cherries, black currnts and teh like, it had some ints of mollasses and some yeastyness.
the flavore was wonderfulyl complex. it initialy tasted of fruis and berries, but subsided to a more bitter unsweetened chocolate like flavor and finished with a smooth tartness at the back of the toung with hints of alcohol.
overall this beer was excelent and if i ever stumble uppon it again I intend on getting some.

07-23-2006 16:35:37 | More by geetlord
UncleFlip

Alabama

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Nice chestnut colour in glass, wht brwn to peach edges. Head is smooth tan, three fingers on the pour, but falls to about 1 1/2.

Smell is bready, sligtly medicinal- but its not unpleasant. A little hop note here, but not overpowering.

Nice alcohol notes up front, nutty and roasty. Very smooth. A bit of sweetness and spice at the end. Lovely.

The mouthfeel is just slightly oily- with a low, very tight carbonation.

I hate to just rubber stamp this as amazing...but dangit, it is!

Be well
-UF

07-20-2006 23:40:21 | More by UncleFlip
Big78CJ

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

I will keep my comments brief as there are enough people contributing their opinions on this beer.

I recently returned from Belgium where I visited the abbey with a friend and consumed/purchased each of the Westvleteren trappist beers (in addition to an old red cap I obtained at De Kulminator in Antwerp). The beer is fantastic, my ratings clearly show I do not diagree with this. However, I find myself hard pressed to declare it the best beer in the world. I think it is hard to claim any beer is the best in the world as temperature variations, storage conditions, age, not to mention quality of that year's ingredients can alter the taste of any beer to make it better or worse.

As a result, I think it is actually the scarcity of this beer that drives up the desire and thus the eventual payoff. It is not that the beer is the best in the world (though I would rank it in my top 5), it is simply that after so much longing, one cannot alloe oneself the disappointment of not calling it the best in the world. Many of you may think my comments blasphemous but I do not contest the goodness of the beer, I only wish to point out the effect of expectation on perception....

This beer continues to grow on me every time I drink it, or as is more often the case, drink another beer out of my silver-rimmed westvleteren chalice

07-14-2006 16:54:59 | More by Big78CJ
DaveFL1976

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this across the road from the monestary, at the cafe.

Pours a deep chocolate brown with a thin layer of foam. Beautiful body, but I was a bit disappointed with the head. damn. But still worth a 4.

Smell is figs and dates. A little sweet. Not much alcohol. Smells clean and crisp. Very nice. Wow, there are a lot of layers to this. Very, very nice.

Incredibly smooth taste. It's hard to believe this is 10% alcohol. Fruity smooth. Plums and raisens. So well balanced. Clean aftertaste. This is everything I hoped it would be. The best I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is ridiculously good. It's creamy beyond belief and the carbonation bubbles are microscopically tiny and tickle the tongue in an entirely new way.

Drinkability is out of this world.

07-12-2006 14:08:46 | More by DaveFL1976
artusory

Maryland

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Infinite gratitude to Jeff for this 3 year old sample. That kid didn’t miss school the day that they taught sharing. Murky, brown pour with a medium sized, tan head. The aroma is very rich with lots of ripe fruit, apple pie, plums, pears, candi sugar. The flavor is well blended and superbly complex, toffee, pears, golden raisins, candi sugar, very rich. The mouthfeel is very soft, smooth and lucious. Believe the hype.

07-09-2006 02:59:23 | More by artusory
neonbrown82

Nebraska

This beer was every bit as awesome as I was hoping, and thus much better than I was expecting. Very appropriate for my 500th review on BA. Thanks to dogfooddog once again for the trade. This is a 3 year sample, and a much fresher review will be forthcoming.

The beer pours to a nice dark reddish brown. Decent frothy head that doesn't quite stay around for too long, but it laces to the glass fairly well.

The smell is great. Very complex. Sweet and nutty with lots of fruit and berry esters. Nice roasted barley flavor as well. The taste is just as great and equally complex. Very smooth. Mouthwatering bubblegummy, cotton candy sweetness. The sweetness is not cloying, but just right. Has a great roasty nuttiness that pairs brilliantly with the sweetness. The alcohol is no more detectable than it is in the blue cap, which is not at all. Awesome. I can't wait to compare the fresher version to see if this is still the case.

Body is full and creamy. Residual sugars stay in the mouth forever, punishing you with the fact that you probably can't drink another bottle right then and there. Awesome through and through. I can't wait to go to Belgium myself. This beer is every bit deserving of a 5.0 rating. That being said, I think Rochefort 10 is every bit as brilliant as this, much cheaper, and readily available here in Iowa. That simply cannot be beat, number one rated beer or not.

edit: I just had the fresher ~6 month version of this beer tonight (8/24/06). I did the Rochefort vs. Westy challenge, and the Westy prevailed on all fronts. My roommate and I were even biased towards the Rochefort. Had a much cleaner flavor and finish. Not quite as roasty. Lots of bubblegum esters. Phenomenal. I want more.

07-06-2006 05:51:09 | More by neonbrown82
allengarvin

4.55/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to 1759dallas for the bottle. Best before 15-02-09 according to the crown cap. Served up in a Trappiste Rochefort chalice. Dark ruby-brown color, topped by a lovely off-white head of foam. Rich, malty-caramel aroma laden with ripe, fruity overtones. Big sweet malt flavor bursts out on initial tasting, followed by dark honey esters (with notes of raisin and plum) and enough bitterness to keep it all firmly in check. Finishes with delightful lingering maltiness. Surprisingly light-bodied for the strength.

What I really like about this is how lightly drinkable it is for a 10% trappist... it dances on the tongue in a way that I've not experienced before in an Abbey quadruple. Quite amazing.

07-06-2006 02:51:26 | More by allengarvin
mynie

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

A careful pour yields a very dark mahogany like intensely dry wine. A tan head, one half inch tall, sits atop. It will never go away.

Delightful smell. I'm usually not as big fan of Quadruples as I am some other Belgian styles—I prefer Dubbles—as they tend to be overpowering, too alcoholic and astringent. I like to get kicked in the face by a stout or a double IPA, not by a complex and fruity Belgian. This is perfect.

Gingerbread. A pleasant walk down a spice aisle in a store with wooden floors. You smell the products, and the history surrounding the products, not floor cleaners. Everything is beige like a mid October sunset. Dull and sweet, but just as full as life as it ever was.

Very, very creamy. Such a perfect mouthfeel that I notice it even before the flavor. I'm taking too small a sip, like a bird. Conserving. I must forget the price.

A respectable sip reveals a creamy yeastiness that gives way to fruit complexities that are above average (which is saying something, since the style is certainly above average, but it is still not up to snuff with the most complex). Like organic fruit candy, the kind that actually tastes like fruit but only like the good parts of fruit—oranges, apples, pears, and mint. All sundried, mellowed out to perfection. Damn fine. Damn fine.

A great great beer. Not quite the best Belgian I've had, but close enough to where I have no problems at all with this being considered the world's best. Believe the hype.

06-29-2006 03:01:34 | More by mynie
jdoolin

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Presentation: 33cl bottle, poured into my 12oz chalice

Appearance - very dark brown, with a long lasting fluffy tan head.

I wouldn't say anything about the aroma and taste that a hundred others haven't already said, so I'll dispense with that, other than to say that it truly is an incredible flavor. But I do want to say how incredibly drinkable this beer is. I was amazed at how little alcohol presence this beer had. It was so smooth and so easy to drink. The alcohol warmed the back of my throat a bit, but that didn't last.

I tried very hard not to let the status of this beer influence my rating, and I feel as though I've succeeded. I didn't expect the beer to be the best I've ever had, I just expected it to be good, and I wasn't disappointed. I will have to say that at this point, Westvleteren 12 is my favorite beer. I won't go so far as to say it's the best in the world, just my favorite, which makes sense as this style is my current favorite. But that doesn't mean it will always be.

This is a truly exceptional beer, regardless of its status.

06-22-2006 04:46:59 | More by jdoolin
guinnessdoc

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Got my first bottle of this thanks to a trade from AlohaC.

A - Nice dark brown color with reddish coloring at the edges. Creamy, off-white head made up of small bubbles that stayed about 1/4 inch thick throughout.

S - Malty sweetness with hints of fruit.

T - Sweet up front with tart fruit flavors that were hard to place. Perhaps prunes, plum, or cherries? Very slight smoky taste hidden amongst everything else.

M - Slides smoothly over the tongue with a fair amount of carbonation.

D - This is a fantastic beer that has no apparent flaws. However, I don't know if that's enough to make it the #1 beer in the world. Regardless of rankings, it's just damn good. How those monks get so much flavor out of just 4 ingredients is beyond me. But I'm sure glad they do.

06-20-2006 03:51:11 | More by guinnessdoc
weeare138

'05 bottle...
Appears a deep mahogany color with a beautiful 1/2" beige head that slowly fades out. Scattered lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of candy sugar, raisins, brown sugar, and some black grapes.
Taste is of sweet brown sugar, rich malt, vanilla, raisins, nuts, and dark fruits.
Mouthfeel is lingering with chewy, malty sweetness, lip numbing stickiness, but very much balanced with the malt and hops melding together for a superb finish.
The ABV is well hidden.
I had this next to a 15 year old bottle of Westy 12 and while the older bottle was more complex(and mildly oxidized), the fresher bottle's flavors and mouthfeel outdid the elder bottle.

Edit 11/25/06: I just popped a 3 year old bottle received in a trade from prop13. This one seemed near flawless. I had it side by side with a Rochefort 10 and it slightly edged out the Rochefort by a hair with it's smoothness, gentle hopping, and a boozy brandy-esque enjoyability. Heaven in a bottle.

06-16-2006 16:00:18 | More by weeare138
PopeJonPaul

Oregon

4.28/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured like dark copper pond water with a foamy, thick head. Has a yeasty fruity smell, leading into excellent sweet, fruity flavors of nut bread, dates, plum and caramel bursting out of a crazily carbonated bottle. Mild finish for a 10 percent beer, very drinkable but a bit yeasty to me (although I got it fresh off the plane from Belgium, courtesy of a friend, and probably should have let it settle for awhile.) A great beer to be sure, though surprisingly not my favorite beer ever (sacrilege, I know.)

06-15-2006 17:20:18 | More by PopeJonPaul
markman

Connecticut

Trappist Westvleteren 12 (Yellow Cap), 23.09.06 on the cap:

Not much of a head, but crystal clear cola-colored from an easy sedimentless pour (though there is much to swirl in later). An avalanche of aromas and flavors: molasses, ripe fig, malt, etc, etc. An easy hop bite finishes this big-bodied brew. Very nice beer…hard to imagine how they pull these flavors out of a minimal number of ingredients. Incredible.

Big thanks to cooperrip for parting with it.

Cheers...

06-10-2006 23:11:04 | More by markman
mcallister

4.13/5  rDev -10.4%

Bought 6 bottles of this off of the ebay belgium site. Sampled with four other people (one bottle) so review will re-review upon drinking bottle my self with some decanting time.

A cloudy obscene looking dirty pond water brown pours from the bottle. Quite beautiful:) Slight off white head with trace lacing.

Big roasty caramel malt, alcohol, toffee bar, orange peel, hints of apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, fig, and spicey etheral aromas.

Roasty, and malty as hell. Fig paste, thick vinous earthy flavors, petroleum, caramel, good carbonation, somewhat loamy, spicey, very balanced and overly complex. Leaves a slight alcohol burn in the chest.

Spicey, carbonated, creamy mouthfeel. But not sure how drinkable it is considering the alcohol.

I'm not sure this one met my expectations. Looking forward to trying another under different circumstances. Will review again.

06-09-2006 11:31:37 | More by mcallister
UncleJimbo

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Sampled from a bottle marked 23.08.08 in late Nov. 2005. Therefore, this bottle was ~3 months old. Sampled at Apspanning 't Waagstuk in Antwerp, Belgium.

This beer poured a dark brown color with highlights of red. The foam was creamy and tan, and settled to a thin coat. The smell was lightly malty and slightly vinous. The taste was malty and lightly sweet with a touch of vinous overtones. The flavor was good, but was much less complex than older bottles that I had sampled. The mouthfeel was smooth with medium-full body and good carbonation. The aftertaste was pleasantly malty. Slightly warming. This was the first time I had sampled such a "young" bottle of this beer, and frankly the beer tastes much better after aging in the bottle a few years.

05-29-2006 19:19:20 | More by UncleJimbo
WonderWoman

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Once this was poured it had a cloudy mahogany hue to it.
The smells were so complex I had trouble deciding what was all in there. The only prominent smell was fruit filled pastries.
I could taste barley and molasses with an oaky finish. There was so many subtle flavors mixed in I couldn’t decipher many of them. Once it warmed the flavors changed.
The mouth feel was syrupy and creamy. The texture was smooth with light carbonation.
I think this beer was a bit too overwhelming for me right now.
There was so much going on I didn’t know what was going on. I especially enjoyed letting it warm and seeing the changes that occurred in the flavor.
Once my palate is more refined I’d love to try this again and see what I can decipher.

05-29-2006 02:50:22 | More by WonderWoman
Lnedrive14

4.28/5  rDev -7.2%

Been sitting on this bottle for about a year now - just finished first year of law school, so what better time to crack it open?

A: Pours a dark, chunky brown. Definitely some floaties in there. Nice sized head (especially given the fact that I poured into a 6oz Grand Cuvee glass - thanks Nick, both for the glass, and the idea of what to finally use it for).

S/T: Lot going on here. In my opinion, not the best tasting beer in the world, but certainly one of the most complex. Rasins, plums, dried cherries, big malts, fresh maple syrup, fine scotch, and port. So many different flavors and all there with a big presence. I felt, however, that it was a bit too sweet. The alcohol was also not as masked as other similar beers (like Rochefort).

M/D: Very syrupy feel. Nevertheless, i liked the full-bodiedness. Really felt good on the palate. Drinkability not so great on account of the sweetness and alcohol.

Best beer in the world? Not in my opinion - still a good one, and definitely worh picking some up if you find it.

05-24-2006 00:11:36 | More by Lnedrive14
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev -3%

orrshow received a bottle in CanBif from Goldorak, and decided that he had to share it with me. Neither of us know when we will next have the opportunity to taste this one. Date on the cap was 06 04 07.

Poured slowly into a chalice. It is murky brown and no head formed. Kinda looked like muddy water. I'll admit I was hoping for darker, with a creamy head, as I've seen from other Quads.

I could smell it when the glass was a couple feet away as orrshow finished pouring. It has a very sweet smell that is rife with alcohol. A little bit reminiscent of ice cold, fine scotch, port wine and dark rum. Raisins and other dark fruits, baked sweets and candy sugar. With each smell I could likely add another item to the list.

The taste is again big and sweet, full of alcohol. Again reminding me of tasting an ice cold scotch in the overall effect of it. Brown sugar and dark grapes, with many other subtle sweet flavours in the mix. The finish has a fairly hot alcohol burn, and has a touch of molasses.

This beer is rich and sticky in the mouth. The carbonation is there, but it is subtle and natural feeling.

This is very good, but I wonder if the hype and limited availability doesn't effect people's overall impression of the beer. I certainly wanted it to be the best beer I'd ever tasted, but it wasn't there. In a way it felt less like beer and more like a hard liquor drink with how prevelant the alcohol was. Having said all that, I would still like to have this again, and certainly wouldn't let any chance of acquiring it get by me.

05-23-2006 16:19:28 | More by elricorico
OStrungT

I got this beer from thomashardy for an AleSmith Barrel Aged Wee Heavy. I have been sitting on it for a few weeks, and now, on my birthday, I think it is the time to try it.

This beer pours a dark rust brown color with a light brown head. The head is quite fluffy. It fades very slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a spicy peppery aroma. I can detect some alcohol. It also smells of dates and maybe prunes and raisins. It has a rich caramle sweet aroma also. It has an earthy yeast aroma.

This beer tastes very complex. It is very well balanced. I taste some spicy flavor. Also, the dark fruit flavors are present. Raisins, prunes, dates. It tastes sweet. It has a slight bready yeast flavor.

This beer is very smooth. It leaves a caramel sweet aftertaste. It is carbonated to perfection.

This beer would probably make an excelent session beer if you could get it. It is a little high in alcohol, but the great well balanced flavor more than makes up for it.

Is this the best beer in the world? Apparently so. If you want my opinoin, and you must since you are reading this review, it is definately a great beer. I have had other beers of different styles that are equally as good though. It is definately the best Quadrapel I have had though. Thank you thomashardy for helping me finally try this great beer.

05-23-2006 01:51:47 | More by OStrungT
Orrshow

Alberta (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Before I say anything I want to put out a huge thanks to Martin (Goldorak) for this bottle. Very generous of you man.

Appearance – This beer pours a very cloudy brown color. There is a slight bit of maroon tinge to it as well. The head is virtually non existent besides a ring and a tiny bit of bubbly froth in the center of the beer.

Smell – I get all those nice dark fruit like dates, plums, and prunes big time. There is a very strong dark spiced rum aroma arising from this beer as well giving it an alcohol scent. Some yeast is detectable along with some brown sugar sweetness and spice. The complex combination of all these things makes this beer absolutely wonderful to sniff at again and again.

Taste – Up front this beer is extremely strong of sweet malts and that nice dark rum characteristic I smelled. The plums and raisins make themselves present with a caramel and brown sugar sweetness added on. Dark spiced rum flavors linger on strongly after a sip is taken. It’s wonderful.

Mouthfeel – Carbonation is very nice here. Nothing to complain about. The feel of this beer is almost silky…it has this nice subtle creaminess that I enjoy quite a bit.

Drinkability – Top Notch. It is so easy to drink despite the high alcohol content and robust flavor. This beer would not have lasted long if I didn’t show restraint to enjoy it.

For me it lived up to the hype. I must say this is among the best beers I’ve ever had. The only downer is that it did not look amazing which is not that important.

05-22-2006 04:32:38 | More by Orrshow