Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,985
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

got in a trade from cubbyswans - thanks. Bottle dated 02.07.11

poured into a chalice.

A - Pours a dark brown, with reddish tones. Head quickly settled to a thin layer and ring around.

S - Fruity/spicy/yeasty. Slight scent of alcohol.

T - Fruity, sweet, tart linger

M - Medium, good level of carbonation.

D - Very good beer. Alcohol is well hidden, but still kicks.

tedpeer, Nov 22, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

This is my 500th review, I thought I would make it a special one. Poured this .33L brown bottle (with raised neck ring) into a Westmalle glass. Cap was dated 8.09.11. The body was hazy and a dull plum color. The creamy, irregular head had an iridescence in the light tan bubbles. Some foam remained throughout.

Smell was of cola and light molasses. Stewed apples with a dash of cinnamon.

Taste was raisins and apples. Mellowed to perfection, nicely balanced. Each element compliments the other, not negating one another. Distinct, rich maltiness is countered with a tangy long finish. Taste surpassed the aroma, which I don't experience often enough.

Mouthfeel was zesty yet smooth. Very drinkable. Very well hidden alcohol. This is not one of my favorite styles but I would never pass the opportunity to enjoy one of these.

Cresant, Nov 21, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Dark brown with red edges, good lacing and nice head. Looks a lot like the 8 it would be hard to tell them apart sitting next to each other.

S- Mellow some alcohol and malt maybe some hops but shadowed.

T- I find myself hesitating to take a drink....
Wow semi sweet some tartness but a little. Wonderful malt very smooth flavor with caramel in the background just very very nice.

M- Smooth very nice just lovely, can't beat this mouth feel.

D- Very drinkable you don't taste the high ABV at all.

beckje01, Nov 17, 2008
4.86/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm having this beer for the second time, only this time I believe my palate has evolved. I am totally re-reveiwing it.

Dating on the cap reads 2 11 11 which translates to a bottle on date of November 2, 2008. This is a beer almost 6 years old. Poured from a bottle into my St. Bernardus snifter.

A: A deep murky dark brown color with tons of floaties and particles. Loads of sentiment at the bottom of the bottle. Glass lacing was ring like, but spotty.

S: Wow, yeasty smell jumps out with huge dark fruits, grape, candy sweetness and a little bit of nuttyness.

T: Loads and loads of dark fruits and huge amount of concord grape. Raisins, plum, prune, and loads of grape flavor. A tad bit of woody nutty notes mix in. Sweetness is candy like, but not overwhelming so and it actually mixes tremendously with the dark fruits. I expected this beer to be much sweeter, especially with the age on it. The finish keeps the dark fruits mixed with the sweetness to produce a lasting finish that just dazzles the mouth. So very silky and smooth, tremendous. I didn't get any oxidation flavors and it seems the beer really held up very well. Alcohol was really well hidden also.

M: Full, coating, sweet, but not too sweet, and alcohol that was well hidden. Carbonation was low, but worked well with the beer.

O: This was a 6 year old beer that has aged just beautifully. It seems all the flavors have just integrated together to create almost perfection. I am just amazed at how well this has held up and there is no doubt the age has made the beer a work of art.

I was always skeptical of this beer being the "King of the Hill", but after having this bottle I can fully understand why and fully endorse it's Kingness. Wow.

Kadonny, Nov 17, 2008
4.45/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle with date of 04/23/11 into a snifter. Thanks to ygtbsm94 for the trade.

Appears almost black in dim lighting but when held up to light it is clearly brownish mahogany. A bit cloudy from the sediment. One inch thick light tan head sinks to a centimeter thick skim and leaves a small amount of lacing.

Aroma has some sweet sugary notes with a nice dark fruitiness like figs and plums. There is also a light spicy character in there as well but it blends with the alcohol. A bit of caramel in the back as well and even a light earthy hop character.

Taste begins with some sugary sweetness before the figs and plum quickly blend in. A little caramel and toffee flavors and a bit of clovey phenols collide with a nice earthy hop flavor that lingers on into the finish with a light sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium, with the perfect level of carbonation and a wonderful chewiness to it.

Though this is certainly a great beer, I would definitely not say that it's the best in the world. Personally, I prefer Rochefort 10 over this, and that one is incredibly easier to obtain. If this was as available as Rochefort I doubt that it would be rated as high as it is. It's just one of those beers you have to try though so if you can I would highly recommend trading for it.

roadhouse, Nov 15, 2008
4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to milwaukeeclassic & akorsak, who offered up this gem in trades within days of one another this summer. Split a bottle with the wife because it's...well, Thursday, & I felt like cracking one open.

Took a while for this one show its colors. It was too cold coming out of the fridge & after a few sips I wondered what all the hype was about. After a bit of cradling, the beer really opened up. The standoff-ishness vanished, & the dark fruits, warm alcohol, & almost wine-like smell really came out.

Sweet without being cloying, & not overpowered with booze. I can't say this is the best beer I've ever had, but it's a damn good quadrupel, & better with every warmed up sip. I'll let the last one sit a bit before I pop it open.

maximum12, Nov 14, 2008

Thanks to Eric for this amazing brew. From a bottle that is a few years aged. The taste was amazingly smooth. A great body and head. The overall taste is fruity, perhaps raisins or prunes with a sweeter strawberry. But the fruity taste is also combined with hops and some spices. Awesome. No need to say anything but top notch.

Douglas88, Nov 11, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

a buddy of mine shipped 4 of these to me for when he was home from iraq on R&R. thanks again mike!!! we were definately not let down. I'm not sure if its the best beer in the world...but it sure can't be far down the list. pours a beautiful dark color with a couple finger head in a chimay goblet. first taste is very, very smooth with an abundance of flavors. drinks extremely smooth without a harsh alcohol taste for such a strong beer. overall one of the best beers I've had the pleasure of drinking,even for a hophead like me. a trip to the monastery is in my future hopefully. I would recommend this one to anyone!

madnick, Nov 08, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +3%

Been saving this one for a special occasion and found out yesterday night that I got the job I've been wanting for a while. Time to open this.

Big thanks to srandycarter for hooking me up with this one. Poured into chalice glass

A. Murky brownish red body with a creamy white two finger head that last a good while and leaves a nice lacing.

S. Fruity nose dominates. Plums, raisons, mostly. Sweet malts, caramel, and a yeasty smell lay subtle. Smells pretty damn good.

T. Phenomenal... Easy on the palate. Much like the smell, Dark fruits with sweet candy hints, a slight bready taste, and very subtle on the alcohol. Taste lives up to all this beer is hyped up to be.

M. this has got to be the perfect mouthfeel. not too thin or thick. creamy head even added points to this.

D. I could sip one of these all day. the 10.2% would catch up to you sooner or later. But at the same time, I'd only want one every once in a while so it wouldnt cheapen the experience.

wow. I'd love to put some age on a bottle and see how it develops. Wonderful beer. Thanks again for the hookup randy.

EGledhill, Nov 06, 2008
4.45/5  rDev -3.5%

BBD: 29.03.11
Bottled around March '08, guessing this based on the date printed on cap, three years from bottling date. Huge thanks to ygtbsm94 for this, a very generous trader.

Auburn brown with orange edges, a creamy texture to the foam. Served in a Moinette chalice. In time the head fades to a ring at the edge. Spotty bits of lacing, looks every bit the trappist ale. Malty, peppery aroma.

Taste is where it really shines, a concentrated dose of phenolic clove, rich complex malts, tobacco, and a drying bitter hop note towards the end. The yeast gives some minor grape fruitiness, but it's not pronounced. Very light sweetness in the middle that flourishes just for second. Creamy and full bodied. Holding it on the palate, you notice a hint of the alcohol warmth, but not in the taste. Exceptional body and drinkability. One to sip and contemplate.

It's hard to judge, while finely crafted, it's certainly not my personal favorite. Rochefort 10 has surpassed this at times, and other bottles fall short. One to savor and recognize as a benchmark Quadrupel.

emerge077, Nov 06, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Liquid Art - my friend said "when you read about mead in mythology, this is what it should taste like - mead is really not that wonderful - but this truly tastes like liquid honey in brewed form"

I can't say whether this lives up to the #1 beer in the world hype - though i can say this, along with the Rochefort 10 are the best belgian quads that I have tried.

This beer stands out as unique among all the other trappist beers and other Belgian 10s and 12s, as it stands out among all brews in the world.

It is incredibly drinkable, caramely yet not sweet...this is the most drinkable 10+% alcohol beer I have ever had.

I had to search far and wide (even in Brugges) to find this beer, and Im glad I did! Drank a bottle at an amazing pub there and brought a couple home.

benclimbs, Nov 06, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance - Dark reddish-brown, with some sediment. Poured with a very small head in a goblet, although this is no doubt due to poor handling when transported overseas, as I know this beer is supposed to have a large head.

Smell - While still fairly cold, this beer has a strong, sweet and fruity odour, nothing too special. As it warms, it acquires an amazing, very complex biscuity, fruity and spicy odour. I had to give this a five, because I couldn't imagine a beer smelling any better.

Taste - I ensured I did not have any preconceived notions as to what this beer would taste like before trying it. However, even though I poured it slightly too cold, I was hooked from the first taste. This beer has a perfect balance of dark fruits, cinnamon-like spices and sweetness. The alcohol is slightly noticeable, but is nothing to complain about. The flavour develops slightly with warming, but actually seems to weaken a fair bit if it is too warm. My first 5/5 for taste has most certainly not gone undeserved.

Mouthfeel - Amazingly light and smooth, not too sticky like some other Belgian ales.

Drinkability - I could totally see myself sessioning this. No, really.

Overall - My brother got this beer delivered for my 21st birthday (and I know he'll read this review, so thanks again!). However, I had many fears that what I had received would not live up to its reputation. I had heard stories about Westvleterens supposedly deteriorating significantly when transported overseas. Also, the fact that one of the beers I received was not in the usual Westvleteren bottle sparked fears that I may have received a cheap, recapped ripoff. However, the first taste assured me that this was the real deal. Though I have given this a much higher score than any other beer, I do not feel that I have been generous in any way with my scoring.

Cs1987, Nov 01, 2008

This beer has a sterling reputation, which I assumed was unearned. It's not. Granted much of its cache is due to its scarcity, but that doesn't change the fact that it is world-class.

Body was a dark red-brown with creamy white head with great staying power. Aroma was earthy, raisin-y, and distinctly cereal-y, but in a good way. The cereal-y of this and the other Westvleteren beers I tried had this underlying aroma that reminded me of the boiling mash smell that permeates the brewery when a boil is going on. Flavor is a bit like baking bread (that same malt-mash flavor) with raisins and a touch of sweetness and a noticeable alcohol tinge. Very balanced. At the top of the page, my notes say "Honestly, this is perfect."

I can't recommend this beer enough. I had it at the Cafe In De Vrede, across the street from the St. Sixtus abbey that brews the beer in Westvleteren. Awesome.

BeerBelcher, Oct 24, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Ruby brown in color with shades of rust and copper. Medium head but not near the retention of some in its class. It's still falls slowly to a ring, leaving random lacing down the glass. Smell is amazing. Not as big and rich in the malt department. It makes you anticipate a slightly less full body compared to others. Great scent of fruits. Some grape, raisin, plum, pear, and fig. More fruity than anything. Still a good touch of candy(i) sugar and light yeast. Leather. Some caramel is evident also. Taste is just as amazing. Good fruit flavors again, not too thick from caramel and the like. Candy sugar and a lightly toasted bready yeast. Also some subtle bubble gum flavor. A delicate touch of spice and candy sugar. Mouthfeel isn't as velvety as possible but very nice. More on the medium bodied side with a bit of spice. Alcohol is hardly noticeable in this brew. It's a pleasure to sip on, if possible. So full of flavor and complexity that it's tough to beat. Unbelievably drinkable for what it is.

ncvbc, Oct 21, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +2%

Poured into my quad goblet. Pours a cloudy, dark reddish-brown color. Creates a 2 finger creamy, beige colored head, with really good retention and a whole lot of lace.

Aroma consist of sweet malts, brown sugars, caramelized raisins and other dark fruits with an earthy quality throughout. Some fresh baked bread yeastiness evident as well.

The flavor is also very complex. The front is predominately a sweet malty, toffee-like flavor with some dark fruits evident with a semi-sweet, rich, boozy finish.

Medium-heavy body with a really fine, sparkling carbonation factor. It just feels so good in my mouth. It is a beer that one could drink a lot of, while it is pretty heavy, the alcohol is hardly perceptible aside from the warming sensation. This beer gets a lot of attention but IMO it has definitely earned it's grade.

If you can get this beer do not hesitate. You won't be disappointed.

Soneast, Oct 19, 2008

What can I say its hyped by most beer sites, but its number 1 in my book.

A: its pours from the 330ml bottle into a nice duvel type glass, dark brown with a big head served at 55f. What can say its the perfect beer.

S: very rich dark raisin and other plum type smells, no hop, and a slight bit of alcohol.

T: here where the rubber his the road, its all about the great rich taste to me, there is too much in here for me to figure out, but I know I love it, give me some Trappist cheese and I could die after with no regrets.

M: very full body and depending how much its been aged if its fresh you detect some alcohol, its only gets better with age.

D: I always have 3 in a row, so its dam drinkable to me

not a technical review because I just love Belgians and this one is number 1

boldcity2008, Oct 14, 2008
4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a Westvleteren glass. 10/12/08. Cap has 18.12.10 printed on it.

Pours a deep dark mahogany brown color with about one finger of light tan head. The head slowly dropped to just a thin layer, no lacing. The aroma is amazing and intense. Belgian yeast, bread, sweet malt, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, apple, raisin, date, fig, toasted nut, banana, clove, and alcohol make up the aroma. Very complex, one of the best smelling beers I've ever had.

Unfortunately the taste does not carry the same complexity as the aroma. It's still darn good though. Sweet malt, Belgian yeast and bread, brown sugar, candied sugar, raisin and fig, and a touch of alcohol make up the taste. The high alcohol (10%) is pretty well hidden.

This beer is smooth and not too heavy. Medium-full body and well-carbonated. Almost creamy. A bit of warmth from the alcohol. Drinkability is pretty good. The alcohol really sneaks up on me. It's really easy to drink for such a big beer. Definitely a sipper though.

Overall, a darn good beer. Try it if you get a chance, though it might be difficult to obtain.

bkilpatr, Oct 13, 2008
4.38/5  rDev -5%

10-11-08 Bottle from the Downtown Bar & Grill ($50!!!) hey you only live once, also my 100th review

Served @ room temperature

A- Pours a brown, a little clearer than i would thought, with a light head that it easy to sip through

S- Sweet and spicy, nose didnt really impress me at 1st, but came through more as i drank it. Some notes of figs, clove, bread, caramel

T- Again about halfway through the real flavors start to appear, dried fruit, some lemon, clove, earthy malty notes, very tasty

M- Not as creamy and thick as i thought it would, carbonation on the low side, with a semi-dry finish

D- Very high, alcohol does not jump at you, and this can be sipped and savored all night

Overall im glad i finally was able to try this beer, did it live up to the hype, yes and no, i still think Rochefort 10 is a better beer, alot cheaper and easier to find. I guess part of the hype with this beer is the availability of it. But dont get me wrong still an awesome beer, and as long as its rare you should try and seek it out at least once. I spoke with the owner at the Downtown Bar and he said he has about 10 bottles left right now

bonbini26, Oct 11, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

i cracked open my westy with one of my best friends on our tenth anniversary... think what ya will its still awesome.

poured into a tulip glass, produced a nice two finger cream colored head. a beautiful rich brown color with bright ruby highlights around its edges. small to moderate lacing.

smell is awesome! i get apples, grapes, and a variety of dark fruits. smells delicious. i really wish they made a air freshener that smells like this. yum.

taste doesn't let down. the amazing thing to me is that the flavor hits every one of the tastes. sweet, bitter, sour, smooth. whoever decided to originally brew this should be blown by the hottest of the hot.

mouth feel is great. just the right amount of carbonation. smooth, gives a nice coating to the mouth. medium bodied. amazing flavor.

i could drink this beer alot. Its very smooth. and i dont want the end of my glass to come.

i think alot of this beer is hype. but it is still fantastic. yum.

Mauerhan, Oct 07, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Big big thanks to MtGoat for the trade that brought this beer to me. What better beer to review for my 300th than this beer right here in front of me.

A: Pours with a slight chill haze and with some yeast floaties, but otherwise looks like a dark apple cider. Poured into a large mouthed gobblet the head really doesn't get a chnage to show off like other beers but it is lively, bubbling up after a slightly aggressive pour to yeild a half inch sandy white head

S: Candi sugar, a splash of dark rum and brown sugar over a bevy of dark fruits like rasins and plums. Nothing overpowering, just subtle and sweet, very very sweet. Smells a bit like cake, if I close my eyes and sniff.

T/MF: Like the smell, the taste is not overpowering. Sweet, not sugary sweet, but rather a bready, a cupcake-sans-frosting kind of sweetness. Mildly fruity, the slightest bit nutty, brown sugar, sweet bread dough, rum covered rasins. Drinking this I can already tell that I am going to be sad when this beer is gone, this is the first beer I have ever said this about. The feel of this beer, high as an ABV as it does have, drinks so smoothly, bubbles so softly on the tonuge that it almost feels like a sessionable beer. It's size is so well hidden. The alcoholic warmth that does come near the end of the each sip, seems to compliment the rest of the beer, rather than hinder it. Finish is rather clean, but long and lasting, leaving a slight nutty sweetness on the tongue.

D: I can see why this beer is ranked as it is, this beer has something for everyone. It is subtle enough in taste to please even the staunchest BMC drinker around, no boozy heat, not raging hop bitterness or cloying malty sweetness. This is just a perfectly balanced, quiet, non-flashy, beer that is just an absolute pleasure to drink.

bluemoonswoon, Sep 30, 2008
4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle courtesy of leftmindedrighty, thanks again!

Cap marked 7.3.10

Been holding this one for a while, I just had a great weekend, and in celebration of that, and the Phillies winning the NL East, I figured this would be a fitting beer.

Pours a dark brown color with a thin off white head.

Aromas are nutty, of booze, oak, and some dark chocolates as well. Very complex and a pleasant to sniff.

Taste starts out with a soft mouthfeel and a crisp finish. Creamy malts, a bit chocolate like, nutty, oaky, and some sweet light cola flavors. Flavors are complex, but soft and meld together really well. It certainly doesn't taste like it's a 10+% ABV beer, only the slightly hint of booze and alcohol warmth. Quite smooth and actually even a little subtle.

Mouthfeel is superb. Thick, full, smooth, and with perfect carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I really enjoyed this one. It's definitely top notch, excellent, and well worth the praise. However... I'll take Rochefort 10 or Pannepot. I liked those 2 just a little bit better than this one.

flexabull, Sep 29, 2008

Pours a deep brown with a nice layer of light brown head. Smells of dried dark fruits with some nice spiciness and caramel. The taste, wow the taste. At first sip, I thought it was pretty good, nice and complex. But the flavor just keeps lingering and developing. Fruits, sugars, a little doughy. Definitely some nutiness in the aftertaste. Also almost seems like a little black tea on the finish. Great mouthfeel. Sticky but smooth. This beer has managed to surpass any expectations I had!

nvsblman, Sep 22, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to jojox for the bottle. Saved this one for my 100th review.

Pours a deep murky brown color with a thick short lived head and a fine ring of lacing.

Scent is deep and fruity with yeast, raspberries, brown sugar, candi sugar and some malts. Top notch scent, I could smell this all day, just wonderful.

Taste of bananas, brown sugar, candi sugar, raspberries and blueberries. Alcohol is present, but is perfectly balanced out with the sweetness. Finish is as strong as the initial taste with the same flavors lingering.

Mouthfeel is powerful and gripping, leaks into your sinus as you hold it in your mouth giving it an incredible depth.

Drinks great for the strength and style.

While not the best beer I have ever had it is certainly one of the best and I believe it was worth the hype. I will be looking to get more of this whenever possible and I am very glad to have been able to try it.

paco1029384756, Sep 22, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Major thanks to ralflord for hooking me up with this one.

Pours a cloudy dark chestnut brown color with 2 fingers of creamy tan head into a tulip glass. Amazing retention with beautiful lacing that is both thick and sticky and also slides down the glass to reconnect with its brethren. Smells of cocoa, caramel, vanilla, honey, sweet bread, dark fruits, cinnamon, clove, rose petals, coriander, candy, light yeast, and slight alcohol. Tastes of candy, fruits like apple and pear, spices, a touch of citrus juice, caramel, sweet bready malts, cocoa powder, figs, plums, cherries, earthy notes, peppercorns, a touch of yeast, and a slight dash of alcohol. An amazing balance of flavors, each pronounced at first along the journey and then gently fading away, leaving only a hint of lingering taste behind. Smooth and velvety with a nice dry finish and great carbonation. Simply a fantastic beer, not my favorite beer of all-time, but definitely the best Quadrupel I've experienced and among the best beers out there. For as high in ABV as it is, it covers it up beautifully. This is a sipping beer, but only because you don't want the glass to run empty. Definitely worth a try whenever you may find it.

HopDerek, Sep 19, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

A : Pours a murky dark brown with a little bit of tan head

S : Big malty aromas. There's also some brown sugar sweetness, dark fruits, and yeast aromas

T : This one has a big malty flavor that has some serious dark fruit flavors. There's some sweetness throughout with a slight alcohol taste on the finish

M : Full-bodied, creamy, and incredibly smooth

D : Very easy to drink. I would love to get more of this hard to find beer. Greatest beer in the world? Probably not but it's not far off that mark.

mhewes, Sep 15, 2008