Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,887
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -11.1%

11.2 ounce bottle. Expensive, I think I paid over $7 for this little sucker! Anyway, pours dark and viscous. This stuff is thick, raises a formidable long lasting head. Nose of spices,yeast,earth, currants and musk. Flavor notes of fruit, earth, muskyness and yeast. COMPLEX flavors, yeastyness. Not on the top of my list, cuz its just not all that drinkable , IMHO, Not a beer for beginners. All strong dark Belgian lovers rejoice and seek out this classy, exotic sipper.

Billolick, Apr 16, 2004
4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: Dark, cloudy brown. Thick, resilient, creamy head. Takes forever to retire.

Smell: Raisins and malt dominate the aroma. Faint yeast bite. Faint hints of licorice and toffee. Has that lovely Trappist Beer aroma that first hooked me into being a beer geek.

Taste: Holy sheetz. My my my. Hits the tongue like a chilled caramel latté, transforms to toffee and chocolate and malt mid palate. Mid-palate also brings out the Belgian candy sugar flavors. The finish trots out a noticable hop bitterness. Noticable alcohol texture.

Mouthfeel: Perfection. The bead is neither too large nor too small. The beer is creamy without being cloying, bubbly without being fizzy.

Drinkability: As with most of the really interesting beers, this one isn't one you can pound down one after the other. This is a sipping beer.

Afterburner, Apr 14, 2004
4.15/5  rDev -10%

Green plums. Raisins. Grape BubbleYum bubblegum. The lipstick of a first kiss.

Just below cellar temp, the taste opens harsh -- dynamic, but filled with alcohol. As it warms, the malt comes forward to balance the alcohol. Westvleteren Abt 12 tastes like a spiked fruit punch in the Garden of Eden. What else? Everything else.

Numb, drying finish with a nice dose of hops that manages to carry a good amount of residual sugar. This beer knows what I'm going to say about it. The flavors in Westy 12 are capable of turning on a dime and making me think twice. The fruit -- now candied oranges, papaya, and rotten red grapes -- lingers on into the mouths of my future children.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Apr 08, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Last of 5 Trappist brews for me and Mkobes in our Trappist tasting. This is my fourth overall bottle of Westy 12, and will not be the last. This one had a date on the cap of 29/09/03, so I think this may have expired. pours a murkey deep brown color with floaties and a perfect trappist head. Beautiful raisiny musty tobacco and stuff aroma. Big fruity malt flavor, with tobacco and raisins. Rich and satisfying. This one seals it. I am becomming a monk in a Trappist monastary.

vladtheimpaler, Apr 06, 2004
4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sampled in a wine glass, poured from a 11.2oz bottle.

The beer pours an orangey dark brown color that reflects a garnet red in the light. The head is large and slightly off white. Creamy looking and retains well. Leaves an inconsistent lacing on the glass. I served it a little cold, but I could still make out a spicy apple cidery smell, lots of apple, hints of banana, currants?

The flavors come on in waves. There is no hop bite but rather a mild to moderate bitterness with none of that Pale Ale floral character... fades to a dry finish. Quite smooth. Reminds me of cognac. I get sweet malt and caramel -- ah I'm getting the sugar now. There's licorice and spiciness and something else I can't describe. It's full bodied and rich and darn smooth. The finish is dry but you still have the taste of complex fruit in your mouth. The alcohol moves in with gradual warmth. I sip it over and over and it remains a complex mystery to me. I must have more and more. It makes me hungry though I just finished lunch. I have some special Chinese duck that has been cooked with soy sauce and spices (five spice?) and they go together perfectly. Finally at the end my head is spinning with the alcohol. This would've kicked ass in the middle of my lunch. I can see why BAs love this beer. I'm glad I bought an extra bottle!

oggg, Mar 29, 2004
4.6/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Welcome to my 200th review. Can't say I'm the most poetic reviewer here but I try. For this momentus occasion I chose Westy 12 sine it appears to be a Holy Grail beer here.

Pours a dusky garnet with a couldronous eggshell colored head. The foam settles out in to a bubbling sheet of lace.

Smells strongly of candi sugars and very dark fruit. There is something about the smell of quadrupels. I love them. Definitely a little alcohol lurking in the back of this one.

Lots of cherry and grape come to the front of this brew. Sugary malts rush in close behind to fill the void. Spices fill in closely and then it finishes quite peppery, dry, and warms like a kerosene heater.

Mouthfeel is very big. Slick, malty, and filling.

Drinkability. I think this one has sipability. It needs to be taken slowly like a brandy or single malt. It's in that class of beverage.

yankeeheel, Mar 27, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

The Westy 12 pours a tawny brown and has some dirty brown sediment drippings towards the end of the pour. Settles super opaque as a rosey dark brown color with a finger high crown of dark ivory creamyness, fading evenly and slow to a hazey broken skim and a firm collar hugs the edge of the glass a good portion through the session. Lace quickly slips back in with minimal spots sticking.

Aroma is soft and yeilding, complexing and layered; at it sits a welcoming orangey fruit yeast tone releases over some really nice cookie sugars and waffer light chocolate. Deeper wiffs bring out some darker fruits within of raisin and fig with soft dry woodish earthyness. Slight phenolic notes emerge here and there as it warms giving it a bit of spice and burn. There's more here then I can really put my nose too. Cocoa filled fruits and light spices is what I can figure. It's very appealing however way you smell it.

Taste has a refined roundness with an encompassing natural tasting softness of fruits, earth, yeast, spice, cocoa, and some slight roastyness. Its quite soft for what seems to be such a big beer. The flavors carry alot of the effects over from the aroma, lending a bit more dark fruits then the smell would lead you to believe is there and they're there in good stature. There's some artfully placed sweet malts throughout that bring out the darker fruits and sweetness bringing in raisin, fig, apple, and touches of banana, oh but there's a bit more that continues to ensue. There's delicately hidden melding of chocolate cookie sugars, bits of yeasty spices, and mild caramel. There's a milding woody earthyness that keeps a small drying presense throughout as well. Again, there's more here then a can put my mouth too and intermingles with the body and feel of the beer. Quite complex and full of softly spoken actions. Very enthusiatic and engrossing to say the least.

Feel is beyond words here. Wow! Amazingly full, yet calmingly smooth and fluffy with a heavenly fine carbonation that continues to give way to the flavors, never too sharp and never too distant. Well rounded, superbly soft, and exceptionally drinkable. Its nearly a meal! It doesn't seem to have 10.8% ABV, its masked very well. One isn't enough, not nearly enough. I will need to get more, alot more, and hopefully begin to pick out what it is about this beer that makes my eyebrows raise and my mind go "huh? and wow!" Loftly, noble, sublime; wonderfully put together. Thank you Gusler!

tavernjef, Mar 26, 2004
4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

It pours a dark brown with a huge head. The aroma has some dark fruit, chocolate, and yeast. The flavors are very complex. Probably the most complex I have ever had. The body is rich and creamy. There is a little amount of spiciness, some sweet fruits, and choclate. It truly is transcendent.

ark57, Mar 25, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to Malto for this aged bottle.

It pours out subdued brown with a white cap that it wears like a crown. The nose is plummy, old leather and tobacco but the taste is a oh my god experience. Beers like Double Bastard, Storm King
and even other Trappiste beers assert their greatness with a raised fist that makes you take notice. Westy is amazing because it is complex as the best Bordeaux and subtle in ways that are hard to describe. I had a bottle of Rochefort 10 before this beer and it tasted less balanced than the higher alcohol Westy.

This beer is so far away from Macro beers that I can't believe they are related.

canucklehead, Mar 24, 2004
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Disclaimer, it is the first time I have this beer along with 6 other comparable, 5 of which are classified as ABTs and there's only one among the 6 that I've had before. Only one was not taken blind (ommegang three philosophers). So basically, I've taken the 5 following beers blind in the same session: rochefort 10 (only one I had before), westvleteren 12, st-bernardus 12, weyerbacher quad, gulden draak. All 5 were taken in a Chimay chalice A deep chocolate body with a fully diminishing off-white head, initially well-laced. Bottle-conditionned, with some beige sediments at the bottom. Aroma is a nice blend of vanilla and chocolate (black, brown and white), milkshakish, slightly vinous. It didn't grab me particularly, but seriously, let this warm and this becomes a tremendously complex malt offering. Full-bodied, creamy with a good carbonation. Taste is loaded with dark fruits: blackberries, plums, dates. It's a complex caramel cream with a chocolate syrup, no it's a cake, it's a pudding with a little alcohol bite. Very complex with a well-expressed yeastiness. Definitely the most complex of the ABTs. It's delicious for sure, but doesn't strike to me as the best beer in the world. It's the best balanced of the big dark ABT trappist styles to my liking, but it's not necessarily the most intense, although such a refined aftertaste is hard to match. Maybe I will rate it higher in a future tasting. It sure held the competition in a blind tasting, so I know this is pure world-class stuff, I'll have to get into deeper analysis eventually and will definitely enjoy doing so. By the way, this was a nice fit with the great quebeccer cheese Victor et Berthold, recommended by Simon_Patrice and provided by MartinT. Big cheers to Ciderguy and Hopsrus for each hooking me up with a westy 12.

Rastacouere, Mar 07, 2004
4.22/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a deep caramel/amber color with a large white and good sticky lace.
Aroma has hints of raisins, coriander, anise, some honey, some citrus fruit, caramel/toffee and grain.
Flavor is extra smooth starting with some caramel maltiness that quickly cedes to a classic Belgian spice profile and some dark grains.
Mouthfeel is highly alcoholic but not at the expense of a pleasant spicy and somewhat dry but sweet finish.
Drinkability is probably as high as it gets although complexity makes this one to sip and savor.

CRJMellor, Mar 01, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -10.4%

33 cL bottle served at cellar temperature in a Trois Pistoles goblet. Best by date of October 29, 2005.

Appearance: Murky chestnut/mahogany brown topped by a small khaki head of foam which recedes to a scant film of bubbles after a minute or so. Wee specks and gobs of lacing on the glass.

Smell: A healthy dose of candi sugar aromas and fruity esters of apples, cherries, and plums. Stale hops notes a la Belgium, too.

Taste: Sweet caramel malts and candi sugars, fruity tastes of plums, raisins, and apples. Aftertastes of Belgian hops. Wonderful segues between the flavors. Booze also makes its presence felt, taste wise.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, but not as creamy as Bernie 12. Slight warming sensation from the alcohol.

Drinkability: Tasty and well made, but I believe I like Bernie 12 better. It's darker, richer, and a bit more complex - but only by a hair, palate-wise. Wallet-wise, I like Bernie 12 by a toupee. Worth seeking out as you might disagree with my assessment Re: Bernie 12 v. Westy 12.

ManekiNeko, Feb 23, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

The Westvleteren website says:

"We are no brewers. We are monks. We brew beer to be able to afford being monks."

If they are half as good at being monks as they are at brewing, then these boys are damn fine monks!

Poured a hazy dark caramel with a small, creamy mocha head. It had a rich, well blended malty aroma with only a hint of alcohol -- one of the most pleasant aroma's I've encountered. The mouthfeel was almost more like eating than drinking -- it was full and flavorful; thick and heavy on the palate with a nice carbonated highlight. I detected toasted, chocolaty hints, but the alcohol was quite discernable. Blended enough to fit well with the flavor, but a definite alcohol presence. Highly drinkable for the style.

jtfest, Feb 20, 2004
4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: A bit cloudy. Reddish brown. Solid head, frothy.

Aroma: Fruity. Sweet aroma, no hops detected in the nose. Slight funkyness is present.

Taste: Sweet carmel upfront. Great mouthfeel. Quick slighly bitter finish. The alcohol presence doesn't make a very strong impression in the mouth. Very nice flavors throughout the entire glass.

Notes: Excellent beer. A very nice solid beer. Super drinkable.

beerinator, Feb 16, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -24.5%

Deep red amber color offwhite head, very stubborn lacing.
Aroma of raisins and rum.
Dried fruit with lively acidity. Old citrus rind, old nuts, bread. Vinous, but thick and just does not get there. Complex and not very enjoyable.
Alcohol apparent on the palate. Thicker as it warms.
Excellent in its bitterness, but there is just too much alcohol (read lack of balance) and way too thick (any beer thicker thank heavy whipping cream is too thick).

Naerhu, Feb 13, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Sampled February, 2004; Hop Leaf, Chicago
Total 4.8
An immediate rich, bready aroma wafts from my glass as I pour this beer. This beer is topped by a light brown head that sits atop a brown beer. There are notes of sherry, plum, and raisin (though the raisin is definitely the most dominant aroma) in the nose. The beer smells sweet & rich as well. Well the taste is fairly rich & sweet; there is lots of fig and plum notes, which are joined by a woodiness that is in the taste as well. This beer was an awesome way to finish my great dinner at the Hop Leaf. There is an astringent complexity to this beer that just brings it to a whole other level, and there is a slightly musty character that integrates well with the rest of the flavors. I can fully understand why many consider this a world class beer. I really like how this beer is quite fruity in both the aroma and in the taste. The alcohol is very well hidden here, I can't really detect it at all. The rich sweetness is very conducive to being an after dinner drink. This beer is like a rich, dark, sweet traditional German bread. What makes this beer so good is that it is extremely well integrated; absolutely world class.

Cap Best By Date November 2007; Sampled February 2009
Total 4.1
4/4/4/5/4
A vigorous pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip produces a two-finger thick, creamy, tan colored head. The beer is a dark, concentrated amber color that when held up to the light shows that I poured quite a bit of the sediment from the bottom of the bottle into my glass, but is also a hazy, bright cherry color. The aroma smells of spices and fruit with a rich, caramelized maltiness to the finish. Aromas of fig cake, brandy soaked fruit cake, some marzipan, clove, dried cherries, white pepper, candied ginger form the bright aromatic notes. There is a nice backbone here of must and damp earth, as well as some toasted malt character that provides a biscuit malt aromatics. Some higher alcohols provide a bit of spiciness as well as some warming character to the tail end of each draught of the nose. This has quite a rich nose to it, both the fruit and spices accentuate the perceived sweetness of the aroma.

Up front this beer is a bit lighter than I expected, as it rolls across my tongue though it starts to pick up a viscous richness and heft, though it still maintains the drinkability that I like to have in a strong Belgian ale. The beer has a definite sweetness (though not as much as the aroma might have suggested), but finishes with a spiciness that helps to dry the palate out. The beer is a bit carbonated still after the vigorous pour and it provides a prickly carbonation as it rolls across the tongue. fruit notes of prunes, musty figs and raisin are brought out by a touch of tartness as well as the sweetness in this beer. There is a definite mustiness to this beer, it is oxidation character that it has picked up over the years, and it mixes nicely with the spiciness in the finish. Speaking of which, the spiciness provides notes similar to white pepper, clove, a nutmeg like bite, some woody ginger and a touch of menthol in the long finish as well as some bitter cocoa. This definitely gets more complex as it warms up from the high 40°F (~8°C) that it started out at. The alcohol in the finish combines with the fruitiness to reminds me of Brandy.

Well I had a bug dive bomb this beer, so it must have though there was something worth drinking in my glass (one of my dogs got a tasty, Westy soaked morsel because of that). While this beer is quite good, I am quite disappointed in some ways. I haven't had this in a couple years, and I am thinking I need to try a fresher version to see if it is more like my memory of having this in Belgium and at the Hop Leaf (where I had it last).

Gueuzedude, Feb 09, 2004
4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance - Dark brownish/amber almost no light passes through. You can see the sediment settling in the bottom of the glass. Foamy tan head that seems to want to stay around for the entire trip.

Smell - Fruity, spicy, and a tinge of alcohol. Typical Belgian-like smell. Wonderful.

Taste - As the bottle instructed, I let this one warm up a bit to what I hope was about 50 degrees. Wanted to get the full flavor. Glad I did. Wow. A very nice fruity beginning with a bread-like middle. Maybe some nuts mixed in. The flavor was very full, and a lot more mild than I thought it would be, which was a very plesant surprise.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and easy. Goes on and off the palate without any offensive or tart notes.

Drinkability - Very drinkable for this style. Even though the alcohol content is high, and so is he price tag, this is one fine brew. A good beer to have two or three while enjoying a nice winter night.

Overall: Complex, tasty...a must try!

Edwin, Feb 02, 2004
4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: A viscous pour, mohogany brown color with the unfiltered approach let's the light through but very cloudy nice creamy textured head very small bubbles gives the silky appearance. Lacing forms in nice bands the typical belgian style lacing going down, overall great appearance. Aroma: A blissful mixture of different scents, this beer serves up a great spiced tone, then a warming sweet dough character, blended with raisins and alcohol. The vinous tone is the hallmark characteristic the one that stands out just a great experience even if it costs 10 to 12 dollars a bottle. Taste: Alcohol is warming and blends with a shortbread cookie and overly ripened fruit quality, cloves and spices are evident as well this beer is good stuff very complex. Mouthfeel: Full bodied soft silky carbonation coats the palate with a pleasant sensation. Drinkability: Massive amounts of flavor and complex aroma equals a satisfying drinking session this beer doesn't mess around very big, and unique all on it's own. Can't say their anything that compares besides the St. Bernadus Abt.

WVbeergeek, Feb 02, 2004
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Cap marked "03.09.05" If I remember correctly, that means this was bottled on 9/3/02.

Paler than I remembered - a dark brown with a head that has strangely large bubbles but settles to a creamy top. The aroma is godly. The esters that come out of that yeast just lend a complexity that is more refined than just about anything else I have smelled or tasted. Taste is soo smooth and has everything in perfect balance. The dark caramel, the raisin, the chocolate, the sweetness, the hops, the yeast, the esters, the alcohol. Wonderful and extremely drinkable. The last bottle that I had of this I thought the alcohol flavor was too present, but I find this one to be just right.

Many thanks to Paquette for importing this gift by hand.

waughbrew, Jan 30, 2004
4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Funniest thing- bought a box of the westvleteren collection, with a glass included at 'de bier tempel', and, unlike the others which were label less as well, this one was bottled in an abbaye de scourmont bottle. Random. checked with a couple of people. supposed to be OK anyways.

As for the beer itself, I guess what happens normally is that you come with too high expectations. So when you rate this you either seem disappointed, or give it a subconcious peer pressure high rating.

I think I give it what it deserves, for it's quite a nice representation of the style, with a good flavour and colour, although to my taste, and biasedly comparing with Westy 8, this one is a bit too light in taste and a bit too evident in alcohol. It lacks a bit of carbonation too-to mask the alcohol a bit as well. the abundant hops at the end compliment it though in a nice way.

The visuals, though, are very nice, as for the dark brown head that is very porous and the abundant sediment at the bottom. The nose, although fruity and complex, was also weak.

Very good beer. Not *the* best.

Andreji, Jan 27, 2004
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

I picked up a bottle of this fine stuff yesterday. The cap had a computer-generated date of 14.01.06 marked on it, and the beer was $8.79.

The beer poured a nice deep brown color with hints of dark red. A two-finger head -- a light/medium tan -- from the pour settled into a 1/4" ring that clung to the glass for a while and finished off at about 1/8". The flavor was big and complex, and I noted roasted almonds/walnuts, some high-cocoa dark chocolate (i.e. Lindt 85%), some coffee (particularly the sweet Thai-style ice coffee), and some savory, dried fruits -- mostly raisins/figs/dates. The alcohol was never overpowering.

The mouthfeel was fantastic. light to moderate on the carbonation, warm, and sweet, which really opened up the senses to the huge flavors. I also noted a medium to long finish.

To sum it up, this is a phenomenal beer. I really enjoyed it on its own (several hours after a meal), and I plan to drink it that way again to really take advantage of its complexity and craftsmanship. The cost is a factor, but the overall experience is worth the price of admission. I will definitely buy this beer again.

MrBen, Jan 25, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a really, really deep dark ruby brown. Head and head retention are impeccable.

Aroma is very strong. I smell sweet malt, brown sugar, raisins, alcohol, dried cherries.

Flavor is rich and full. Heavy with dried fruits all over it with dark cherries coming through. The alcohol makes a cameo appearance but nothing more. The finish is dominated by the flavors of the fresh juice of a blueberry, as if I just took and squeezed a blueberry between by tongue and teeth, accompanied with the bitterness of the berry skin.

Mouthfeel is robust and full.

Drinkability is hampered by two things: the sheer magnitude of this brew, and the $$$$ that accompanies the beer.

Jables, Jan 13, 2004
4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Deep garnet hued with a thick off white head that recedes to a thin, but persistant film. Chunks of sediment are suspended as if frozen in amber. Aroma is great if a bit subdued with a hint of alcohol evident. Taste of raisins, plums, chocolate, yeast and a touch spicy. Medium mouthfeel. For being such a firebreather it sure is some good drinkin'. If it wasn't for the crazy price I could drink it all day.

Sixpack595, Jan 05, 2004
4.22/5  rDev -8.5%

So I caved to all the hype and found 2 bottles of this one in Orlando. I considered myself lucky. I stocked one away and put on in my fridge to try. I finally got around to pouring it out.

Appearance: First off, this beer looks amazing. The dark cloudy liquid filled the glass followed by a dark tan head. It just looked like it would keep you warm.

Smell: slight hops, malt, and fruit scents (think dark dried fruit, prunes, rasins). Alcohol.

Taste: Wow, that's a stong beer. This is definitely one to be savored and enjoyed over a period of time longer than a half hour. Full of flavor though, can definitely taste a hint of the dryed fruit and hops, as well as a slight woody flavor that was in no way bad.

Drinkability: Okay at, 10.2% alcohol I don't think I could handle this one in large doses, not to mention at $10 a bottle I don't think my wallet could either.

Overall: I am impressed. While it may be hyped to some extent, I can honestly say I have never tasted anything like it before and I look forward to that as-of-yet-unknown special occasion where I can break out my other bottle and sit down with a nice cigar and enjoy it.

LuckySevens82, Dec 30, 2003
3.85/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: dark brown, a decent layer of tan foam, head is a bit rocky w/ pretty good retention, slight haze

Aroma: a balanced hit of malt and clovey phenols, raisins, rum, a wisp of hops, acetone

Flavor: starts off with a subdued maltiness, then a strong alcohol flavor takes over which is then mitigated by a smooth sweetness, touch of chocolate, yeast, raisins, the finish is semi-sweet w/ a hop bitterness riding out in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, gentle carbonation, creamy texture, nice alcohol warmth without the burn

Overall Impression: Finally, after all the hype, I tried this beer (yeah, shame on me for taking so long!). It does not disappoint. A world class beer, all the way. Definitely deserving to be in the top 50, just maybe not at #1. Come on guys, is the abv really that important!?! I tried to review this without the beer's "rep" clouding my judgement. And also before the beer's cojones rendered my judgement unreliable!

GreenCard, Dec 29, 2003