Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,852
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Review 500! with an epicly famous beer.
16.06.13 bottle dating

A: Pours a very healthy head into a tulip with heavy lacing. Dark muddy brown in color with tiny visible bubbles coming to the top of the glass.

S: There is a lot of bubblegum mixing with figs, dates, prunes, and plums. A dry belgian yeast aroma with caramelized sugars.

T: First sip was a little more bitter than I had expected. There is a deep fig taste with plenty of bittering characteristics, a dry tongue buckling presence of either oak barrels or a large dosing of bittering hops. There are caramelized sugars all over mixing nicely with a dark belgian candied sugar presence.

M: Perfect mouthfeel really. There is a medium body with a mild carbonation. Slick rolling mouthfeel that stayed consistent.

O: It lived up to its name. Glad to try this before hitting up Belgium in a few weeks. I will be sure to take notes of all the other great beers I am trying out there.

09-16-2011 00:43:56 | More by alpinebryant
jwinship83

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

HUGE thanks to yesac for sending me this without setting up a trade, or wanting anything in return. youll get yours buddy, dont worry. 11.2oz bottle with no label and the famous yellow cap with 19/11/11 on it.

A- this pours a murky dark brown with a finger of thick looking cream colored head that lasts a while and leaves a solid ring on the sides of my glass. cant ask for anything more.

S- sweet malts first and foremost. lots of fruits. raisins/tobacco, figs, plums, grapes, and maybe a bit of apple. some alcohol odor comes through.

T- sweet caramel and toffee malts. lots of ripe dark fruit. cherries, raisins/tobacco, plums, figs and grapes. a hint of alcohol, that adds to the experience. extremely complex and leaves me wanting another sip immediately after i finish one.

M- light, fluffy, and highly carbonated which i was expecting for the style. what i wasnt expecting was how smooth this one was going to be.

03-15-2009 03:23:14 | More by jwinship83
spointon

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

I poured this one from an 11.2oz brown bottle into a stemmed tulip snifter glass. Thanks to fellow BA roadhouse for sharing this one.

A= This ale poured a murky, dirty dishwater tan/brown color. With a gentle pour, the off-white head was about 3/4" and creamy looking. Some hit and miss lacing down the glass.

S= Huge alcohol presence in the nose, but also some sweet malty and fruity notes in there too. Mild spice toward the end.

T= Amazingly complex and tasty. Flavors were a balance of bready malt and dark fruits (figs, raisins, apples) as well as a spiciness (cinnamon, clove) that was pleasant and not overwhelming. Alcohol was present in the finish but not nearly as hot as I would have predicted from the aroma.

MF= Medium bodied. Feel was soft despite the very active carbonation release.

D= Definitely a world class ale, and deserved of its following. I have a hard time saying it is the best beer in the world, but certainly a great beer that I will drink any time I can.

11-27-2008 20:09:03 | More by spointon
MDekker

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Here it goes! Thanks to my brother for obtaining a bottle for me (BEFORE the article in the BA magazine scolding us in the US for buying them).

A: Poured into a round goblet, I let some sediment get in there, so there are some floaties goin' around. The color is a deep mahogany with some caramel colored hues as well. The head isn't what I wanted it to be, although I didn't pour it too hard. No lacing for me, really.

S: Lots of dark, ripened fruity aromas: raisins, cherries, and plums. A little licorice, and some yeasty notes too.

T: Some similarities, but others too: again, the dark fruity flavors, but then more sweetness and tartness (apple-like), some bready elements, and a bittersweet aftertaste - not much hoppiness to note, but it is very well balanced. The alcohol was hardly detectable despite the high content, but eventually it sets in.

M: Very, very smooth, despite the fact that it's well-carbonated. Not sticky, but a little chewy. Near perfect.

D: The high alcohol content would prevent a huge consumption of it, but as it's not noticeable, so it doesn't prevent me from wanting more. It actually went down really easily, and overall it was a really enjoyable brew. I'd gladly buy more if I could find it and it wasn't so expensive.

04-11-2009 02:51:50 | More by MDekker
gratefulstu

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

A big thanks to Brabander for generously helping get this great beer into my hands. I split a single bottle of this quad with my wife. We poured it into two .2L Rastal tulip glasses. This bottle had 27.08.12 marked on cap.

A: Deep brown with red or amber undertones. Very dense dark walnut color. Nice carbonation, appears light with tiny bubbles that dissipate quickly and and reform with the slightest bit of agitation.

S: Smells wonderful. I spent the a few moments trying to taste the beer through my nose. A slight smell of alcohol is apparent along with caramels and yeast. Candied sweetness drifts over the dark malty base.

T: This brew is so well balanced. We were surprised it wasn't as sweet as our noses had led us to expect. Alcoholic presence subsides into a balanced bitter hop finish. We tasted it chilled, and then let rest and warm for additional condition sampling. Very smooth for a quad. We found the flavors subtle but not lacking.

M: We scored the mouthfeel the lowest. We found the beer was heavily carbonated. After allowing the beer to sit for a few minutes to de-gas, the mouthfeel was more to our liking. Carbonation aside, the mouthfeel was crisp, clean and creamy.

D: The drinkability is great. Having never tried this brew before, I was expecting a big, sweet mess. I was so wrong. This beer is smooth, crisp and delicious. It just makes me wish I could enjoy it more often.

04-05-2010 02:48:10 | More by gratefulstu
tavernjef

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

The Westy 12 pours a tawny brown and has some dirty brown sediment drippings towards the end of the pour. Settles super opaque as a rosey dark brown color with a finger high crown of dark ivory creamyness, fading evenly and slow to a hazey broken skim and a firm collar hugs the edge of the glass a good portion through the session. Lace quickly slips back in with minimal spots sticking.

Aroma is soft and yeilding, complexing and layered; at it sits a welcoming orangey fruit yeast tone releases over some really nice cookie sugars and waffer light chocolate. Deeper wiffs bring out some darker fruits within of raisin and fig with soft dry woodish earthyness. Slight phenolic notes emerge here and there as it warms giving it a bit of spice and burn. There's more here then I can really put my nose too. Cocoa filled fruits and light spices is what I can figure. It's very appealing however way you smell it.

Taste has a refined roundness with an encompassing natural tasting softness of fruits, earth, yeast, spice, cocoa, and some slight roastyness. Its quite soft for what seems to be such a big beer. The flavors carry alot of the effects over from the aroma, lending a bit more dark fruits then the smell would lead you to believe is there and they're there in good stature. There's some artfully placed sweet malts throughout that bring out the darker fruits and sweetness bringing in raisin, fig, apple, and touches of banana, oh but there's a bit more that continues to ensue. There's delicately hidden melding of chocolate cookie sugars, bits of yeasty spices, and mild caramel. There's a milding woody earthyness that keeps a small drying presense throughout as well. Again, there's more here then a can put my mouth too and intermingles with the body and feel of the beer. Quite complex and full of softly spoken actions. Very enthusiatic and engrossing to say the least.

Feel is beyond words here. Wow! Amazingly full, yet calmingly smooth and fluffy with a heavenly fine carbonation that continues to give way to the flavors, never too sharp and never too distant. Well rounded, superbly soft, and exceptionally drinkable. Its nearly a meal! It doesn't seem to have 10.8% ABV, its masked very well. One isn't enough, not nearly enough. I will need to get more, alot more, and hopefully begin to pick out what it is about this beer that makes my eyebrows raise and my mind go "huh? and wow!" Loftly, noble, sublime; wonderfully put together. Thank you Gusler!

03-26-2004 03:52:20 | More by tavernjef
Jables

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a really, really deep dark ruby brown. Head and head retention are impeccable.

Aroma is very strong. I smell sweet malt, brown sugar, raisins, alcohol, dried cherries.

Flavor is rich and full. Heavy with dried fruits all over it with dark cherries coming through. The alcohol makes a cameo appearance but nothing more. The finish is dominated by the flavors of the fresh juice of a blueberry, as if I just took and squeezed a blueberry between by tongue and teeth, accompanied with the bitterness of the berry skin.

Mouthfeel is robust and full.

Drinkability is hampered by two things: the sheer magnitude of this brew, and the $$$$ that accompanies the beer.

01-13-2004 03:51:50 | More by Jables
Nickls

District of Columbia

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

(From notes - can't resist reviewing even though my input is negligible with so many reviews already)

A - Dark, deep coppery brown color and poured with a long-staying slightly tan head. Noticeable sediment toward the bottom of the glass, and some lacing through the sample.

S - Sweet passion fruits, dark sweet maltiness, candied aromas. (I'm really afraid I'm not qualified to review this brew)

T - Toffee; flavor that reminds me of a melted/reduced cane sugar; pruney and raisiny and deeply maltly.

M - Medium MF, with a nice bubbly carbonation presence. Really coats the entirity of the mouth.

D - Pretty insane drinkability for a quad, though it is definitely a sipper. The intriquing flavors and sweetness definitely piqued my interest and was curious to see how the brew changed as it warmed.

Overall, again very glad to have tried this brew and it is indeed wonderful stuff. The flavors and warming touch of booze really provided a pleasant experience. Against the style, it might just be the best I've had. As to whether it's the best brew in the world, I'm not quite sure. Definitely try it if you have the chance.

04-15-2009 15:12:16 | More by Nickls
BrewsforBreakfast

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

My buddy went to Belgium and worked for about a week to get the monks to answer the phone so he could buy a case. This was the last beer from that case. What a treat.

A - A deep tobacco brown. Lots of floating sediment. Big cream head leaving some lacing.

S - One of the best smelling beers I have ever had. It was very hard to discern aromas because there were so many. Unlike anything I had ever smelled before. Dark fruits, brown sugar, caramel were what I smelled the most.

T - Didn't taste much that much like the smell, but like something entirely wonderful that I wasn't expecting. A tinge of heat from the booze but so many married flavors in there make the beer go down way too fast. I almost need to drink 2 or 3 more to pick it all out. Prunes, plums, yeast, raisins, brown sugar were what I was able to pick out.

M - Good carbonation, which I expected. Wasn't expecting that much sediment, but it never bothered me a bit. Creamy but not too thick.

O - A bucket list beer. It's like art. I was truly fortunate to have the opportunity to try one. It's magic. Would pay an $ amount for another bottle that my wife would never agree to.

04-19-2014 01:44:09 | More by BrewsforBreakfast
spdyfire83

Ireland

130th Review
Bottle to Westvletren 12 (small) chalice - as it should be!

From notes. I have enjoyed this beer several times, but this review was as a result of my encounter with it as beer #4 enjoyed as part of a blind Quad tasting - to warm our palates before the real tasting - in Utrecht (December 2011). Thanks Jeffo and doopiedoopiedoo for the hospitality!

A: Burnt brown. Single (tan) fingernail head on Jeffo's pour - I was being honest.

S: Holy smokes. I knew what is was from first sniff, but gosh it doesn't get much better than this! Complex. Dark fruits, caramel, hint of vanilla, cloves, and a touch of heaven. At least I can only hope.

T: Much like the smell, but very, very smooth. Brown sugar, dark fruit, and nice balance of spice. Not overly complex, but just right!

M: Medium bodied and perfect carbonation here.

O: Stand ovation on this and it will never stopping amazing me - the monks of Westvleteren sure know how to brew an excellent beer! You can enjoy a "fresh" bottle or a vintage bottle and the result will always be the same - outstanding! It does age quite well too, but I think this bottle was a bit more fresh. Either way, it is definitely something any beer drinkers out there should have the experience of enjoying (even if you don't like the style). I converted to appreciate the Belgian Quad as a result of my first encounter with this beer.

01-27-2012 18:32:09 | More by spdyfire83
benclimbs

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Liquid Art - my friend said "when you read about mead in mythology, this is what it should taste like - mead is really not that wonderful - but this truly tastes like liquid honey in brewed form"

I can't say whether this lives up to the #1 beer in the world hype - though i can say this, along with the Rochefort 10 are the best belgian quads that I have tried.

This beer stands out as unique among all the other trappist beers and other Belgian 10s and 12s, as it stands out among all brews in the world.

It is incredibly drinkable, caramely yet not sweet...this is the most drinkable 10+% alcohol beer I have ever had.

I had to search far and wide (even in Brugges) to find this beer, and Im glad I did! Drank a bottle at an amazing pub there and brought a couple home.

11-06-2008 01:33:24 | More by benclimbs
beermanbrian

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

The second of my big Christmas stash thanks to my brother. Been saving this one for long time. Was hoping to open to celebrate the Flyers winning the cup but since that isn't going to happen in my lifetime there's no time like the present. Let's see if this worth all the hype.

Pours a deep brown color with a thin tan head that has nice retention. When held up to the light some amber tints show through.

Smell of raisins and plums with a solid candied sugar backbone. Taste of mostly raisins with lots of sweetness up front. Overall just a very smooth impression. Very complex flavors but somehow presented in a very clean way.

Overall an obviously world class beer. Not sure if I agree that it's the best in the world but it is good. Would grab this any time I have the chance.

05-15-2011 01:24:15 | More by beermanbrian
bulldogp04

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

A: murky brown with a beige head...typical to style

S: dark fruits, raisins plums figs, pear esters, alcohol, warm baked banana walnut bread, spicy yeast/Belgian character....very nice

T: taste very similar to smell....alcohol in this beer mellows perfectly with about 2 years on it - notes of massive dark fruits, esters, and Belgian yeasty spice goodness...lightly tart complexities as well

M: perfect lively carbonation that helps cut through rich flavor profile...perfect for Belgian "quad" style

O: seek out if you like Belgians, although st. Bernardus 12 and Rochefort 10 are more than adequate substitutes if not available to you

10-05-2011 04:07:20 | More by bulldogp04
mrfrancis

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Poured from the bottle into a chalice, Westvleteren 12 displays a murky brownish amber hue beneath a pillowy, dense beige head. Fairly typical for a Belgian quadrupel.

S: Aromas of toffee, ripe plums, port, raisins, and table grapes fill the nose. As the beer settles, notes mellow alcohol and brandy become detectable. Very nice.

T: A malty, rich entry dissolves into harmonious notes of milk chocolate, toffee, plums, raisins, figs, dates, cognac, and port. The finish is delicate, mellow, and exceptionally long with restrained notes of dark fruit and warming alcohol giving way to a pipe tobacco and earthy hop fade. Exceptional. I've never had a beer with a better flavor profile.

M: Full-bodied and substantial in the mouth. Starts off silky and smooth, but dries out nicely on the finish. Very satisfying and perfectly balanced for such a strong ale.

O: I simply cannot recommend this beer highly enough. An excellent example of Belgian monastic brewing at its finest.

10-05-2011 13:33:49 | More by mrfrancis
bbothen

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

12oz bottle poured into a chalice. Pours a hazy & murky mahogony brown. Lots of yeast flowing throughout, even with a careful pour. The head is a ginormous billowing fluffy glob of tan colored beauty. To me. Picture perfect.

The first aroma hits me as a big fruitiness, Belgian yeast, nuttiness, caramel/toffee, bready malt, big booze. Cant wait anymore, must sample.

The taste. The taste. Hmm. How do you describe awesome? Big caramel malt sweetness, melted toffee, fruity candy like goodness, big warming boozy rush with each sip, an herbal character as well. Trust me these words do not do the taste justice.

Velvet like, smooooth, warming, moderate carbonation, full bodied.

This is a gigantic almost 11% quad, so a bottle was enough. Okay, I could have another. But this is no session beer. Definition of a sipper.

Hype. Yep. Live up to it? Yep. Glad I've had the opportunity to have this a few times. Seek it out if you love beer. Obviously.

01-21-2009 20:42:57 | More by bbothen
Pawel

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Big thanks to Jason for this one. Pours brown with a little slightly off-white head. Nothing too special to look at. Flavor and aroma are lots of dark fruits, with brown sugar and a lot of sweetness. Obviously this beer is well-regarded, as it should be, but to me it's just not the best beer I've had. Glad to have tried it though, and truly a unique experience. If I could get this regularly for a reasonable price, I surely would.

03-05-2010 02:00:28 | More by Pawel
hellbilly

Arizona

BB 12/18/10

hazy auburn brown pour with a monstrous tan head. cinnamon cream colored yeast hits last and creates little designs in the fluff.

very vinous aroma changes every time i go back for another sniff... white wine, brown sugar, milk chocolate, malt powder and vanilla all show up.

the palate is quite spicy and has a ton of yeasty bitterness... earthy, woody, real maple syrup, concentrated malt powder and lots of chocolate chip cookie dough flavors. pleasant perfume before the dry spicy finish. it's only mildly sweet though dry at the same time. medium body seems a bit thin considering how much is going on, the abv% and how NOT sweet it is. creamy texture is rich in the mouth but not heavy.

i really enjoy the balance, alcohol and complexity yet the sugar level is kept low making it crazy easy to drink and enjoy. sure it smells alright and tastes ok... but it's the whole package that makes it great!
9/4/9/5/19/4.6

12-20-2008 19:20:13 | More by hellbilly
Reagan1984

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

O.K., it's open... I'm scared.. I get one shot at this. Special thanks to Avalon68 for providing this in a trade. Cap says 08.08.10

I poured about 60% of the bottle into my snifter glass watching to leave the sediment in the bottom of the glass. About a finger of foamy off white head formed and then slowly receded into the brew... The beer was a deep dark ruby red/amber color... Held to the light you can see the clarity is very nice. It's just very dark so it appears more opaque. Not a classic lacing, but on the side of the snifter where I am drinking from is covered with clinging foam that stays put between sips... Perhaps as I make my way through the glass further I will see more.

The aroma is very deep and very inviting. Dark fruits, cherries, dates, tobacco and some real earthiness.

The flavor is really smooth... I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this is very nice. It's interesting in that it's fairly complex, yet also pretty consistent front to back.. Dark dates nice sweetness then to some deep malt flavors. No harsh grain nature.. just a smooth malt flavor... some subtle bitterness in the background that I believe is hiding the alcohol notes. If you really concentrate, they are there... but barely noticeable.

Silky smooth with the slightest tingle of carbonation. I literally grabbed this from my aging cellar and 52-55 degrees was perfect for this.

Really is supremely drinkable. There is the slightest presence of alcohol, but overall it's such a well hidden 10% it's almost scary.

I am honored to have tried this gem.. It won't rank as my favorite beer, but I can certainly see why it's so well respected...

01-10-2009 22:01:15 | More by Reagan1984
Dogbrick

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

I didn't know what to expect with this brew after receiving it (thanks to a trade from a gentleman in NYC!) and reading many reviews of it. I think it was a little too cold when I tried it, as the taste got noticeably better as I moved through the glass. Now about the taste, I honestly don't think my palate is refined enough to describe accurately what is going on here. This will be one I have to try again around beer #250 I think. There is a trail mix aroma, and the flavor is hard to pin down. If they captured this flavor in a cereal I would get up earlier every day, hints of berries, grain, nuts, chocolate. Like Willy Wonka invented it, I tasted something different with every sip. I think this would be a perfect drink with some Godiva chocolate covered strawberries. Superb!

09-10-2002 08:36:41 | More by Dogbrick
tr4nc3d

Kansas

Date on Cap says 24.09.11

Fortunately Im one of the lucky ones and this is not the first time I have drank this beer, it is the second. The first time I did not have time to review it.

Well here it is in front of me, the mother of all beers to say, the one that any beer enthuasist "HAS" to try. For me this is the real "King of all Beers" to try since my fav style is "Belgians". I need to mention this has been aged a while, the last one I drank was about 5 months ago.

So having a beer like this deserves its own proper glass. I poured this into my "Trappist Westvleteren" glass. It poured a nice caramel brown like color with a tannish/white two finger head. Leaves beautiful lacing throughout my glass.

Smells of dark brown warm bread that comes out of the oven, dark fruits, plums, raisins, mild hops, spicy alcohol. Very mouth watering.

Mildy fruity with hint of spices coming trough, biscuit like taste, figs, dark sugary chocolate. Very smooth and sticky.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and covers the whole palate full of flavors, very complex.

This is a very drinkable beer, hides the alcohol very well. Very tasty and surely one of the best beers I have tried, easy top 3. As for being the best beer in the world, I would say there are a couple better ones out there I tried.

02-15-2009 18:34:45 | More by tr4nc3d
rlee1390

Indiana

4.64/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Deep deep amber/brown in the glass, two finger tan head, nicely carbonated.

S-Grapes, darker fruits, bread, banana, clove, cherries.

T-Complex and balanced. Cherries, plums raisins, clove, banana. Perfect balance.

M-Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, smooth. Tad creamy

O-Easily the best of the quads. Now to sample it by itself and enjoy it a little more.

02-24-2013 00:03:34 | More by rlee1390
dbrauneis

4.64/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a murky brown in color with some light amounts of visible carbonation and some mahogany highlights. The beer has a finger tall light tan head that slowly reduces to a medium to large thin patch, a very thin film covering about 75% of the remainder of the surface of the beer, and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: There is a fair amount of sweetness to the aroma of this beer - caramel, molasses, candi sugar, and dark fruits (cherries, plum, date, and fig). Very light aromas of booze.

T: Upfront there are flavors of dark fruits with cherries dominating and more moderate amounts of plum, fig, and date. There is a decent amount of sweetness but never enough to become cloying - caramel, molasses, candi sugar, and toffee are all present. Moderate flavors of Belgian yeast and just a touch of spices. Light hint of cocoa powder in the finish.

M: Just shy of full bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly creamy with a light amount of alcohol warming in the finish.

O: Great complexity to the aromas and flavors make this a world class beer. It is easy to drink and enjoyable, I would gladly have another one of these in the sitting. The alcohol is not completely hidden but it is not overwhelming and there is sweetness but not cloyingly so.

04-12-2013 01:21:14 | More by dbrauneis
orangesol

4.64/5  rDev +0.7%

THE beer. Finally got another one in a recent trade. I decided to open it with a friend of mine and tonight just happened to be that night. Bottle poured into a chalice.

A - Pours murky brown with a start white one and a half finger head leaving small wisps of lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of dark fruits; like figs, prunes, and raisins; mixes with the sweet malt, chewy belgian yeast, and some damp earth. The alcohol creeps in as it comes to room temperature.

T - Starts off with a sweet mix of dark fruits and candied sugar slowly giving way a mix of bready malts, spicy belgian yeast, caramel, toffee, molasses, and some chocolatey sweetness. The alcohol begins to rear its head as the ale comes to room temperature, drying the pallet. The finish is a mix of sugary sweetness and light heat from the alcohol. Amazingly balanced overall.

M - Medium-Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. So damn smooth with a little bit of chewiness. The alcohol does become a bit tiresome over the course of the glass.

O - This is still one of my favorite beers of all time. From the dark, complex, flavors to the soft, velvety, feel you would be hard pressed to find a better quad. I can't wait for my next encounter with this amazing beer.

08-03-2011 04:12:21 | More by orangesol
tmzl

Slovenia

4.64/5  rDev +0.7%

Look: Deep amber, brown with golden tone. Foam - nice off-white, even, equal bubbles. Very good retention. Hazy with some floating yeast.

Smell: Dark fruit, raisins, little banana. Deep sweet malt; brown, burnt sugar. There is some very subtle smokey, roast notes, hint of coffee (more like cappuccino). There is also some sour and (hm) "bitter" tone. Superb balance, yet subtle and complex.

Taste: Dark fruits again, little spike from high alcohol. Very smooth, creamy, caramel, toffee and cappuccino middle malts. Little brandy notes but not overwhelming. There is also some very subtle funk. Ends with a very good mix of sour and malty aftertaste. Perfect. Last sips with some yeast, nice finish.

Mouthfeel: Starts a little spicy then very smooth, full. It is slightly warming doe to the high alcohol but goes away after a few sips. Alcohol very well hidden. Surprisingly good and lively carbonation. Leaves a nice creamy feeling.

Overall: Was skeptical with all the hype, but it delivered. Balanced, subtle and very complex. Definitely a must try.

12-03-2013 22:06:13 | More by tmzl
Bleedcold

4.64/5  rDev +0.7%

Consumed from a Trappistes Rochefort glass.

Appearance: This is a great looking beer very dark and cloudy in appearance has a relatively high carbonation while consuming.

Smell: Smells a lot like the Westy 8 did a lot of dark fruit smells figs, cherries, brown sugar and molasses.

Taste: Getting a lot of the same tastes that I did with the Westy 8, dark fruits and sugars amazing flavor very powerful but not overwhelming. Can not really taste much of the alcohol but defiantly a great flavor, some spice in the brew.

Mouthfeel: Smooth yet spiced. Carbonation is prevalent seems very light.

Overall: This beer has been on my radar for a very long time and I am pleased to say that I was not let down. This is a wonderful beer, I absolutely love this beer.

04-14-2013 00:53:46 | More by Bleedcold