1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,894
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Enjoyed this at "Le Bier Circus" in Brussels served in it's proper chalice on June 16, 2003.

While having little in the way of aroma (my only complaint), this beer proved to be exceptional. The medium-dark body and semi-thick consitancy amused me as I gently swirled in my glass. You would never guess this beer is 10,2%. Even my fruit-lambic (Lindemann's, Mort Subite, New Glarius) loving wife thought that this beer was a stand out.

Brought two Abt 12's, One Westy 8, and two Blondes home from Belgium. Can't wait to have it again!

truthbrew, Jul 11, 2003
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Received from a trade with ralflord... Classic unlabeled 12oz bottle poured into my Duvel tulip glass. First look appears as a murky brown color with shades of ruby. 1/2inch head that slowly recedes to small ring of sticky lace.

Smell is not overpowering but there is sweet candy, bread like yeast and ripe fruit. The taste: WOW, sweet ripe fruits like dates, plums, and cherries. Malty backbone with hardly any hop bite. This is one complex brew as other flavors pull through; licorice, yeasty esters (in a good way), and more sweet candy. Thick mouthfeel yet semidry finish. This brew goes down amazingly smooth given the ABV and complexity. ABV seems almost non-existent until the end when it warms, definitely sneaks up on you.

Drinkability is of course fanatstic and this is my favorite quad. The best beer in the world? Definitely not but within range...

phattysbox, Aug 08, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Received this in a trade with TheBeerSommelier (thank you SO MUCH!) and decided to crack one open in honor of the US v England world cup match today (figured the good vibes this beer will generate in me will travel down to down South Africa to help out our boys in blue!)

Pours an absolutely gorgeous hazy deep amber with beautiful thick foamy head that lingers... and lingers... and lingers leavinng sticky lacing on whatever bit of glass it comes in contact with.

It seems to be PERFECTLY carbonated as the head just sticks around throughout the entire session, each time I take a sip the little finger of foam comes right back as bubbles continually flutter up from the bottom of the glass - truly a sight to behold.

Aromas of dark fruit and malt with a flavor that is similar but with MORE of everything. Beautifully balanced - no one flavor taking precedence over another. This is a truly GREAT beer and one that I will drink again ANY chance I get. I could go on... and on... and on... but I've got to get back to drinking this!!!

ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!

thetomG, Jun 12, 2010
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle dated 21.02.16, poured into Chimay chalice. First review, to go with my 1000th Untappd.

A: Deep mahogany, fair amount of suspended yeast, very little head dissipates rapidly.

S: Rich, salty caramel. Distinct Belgian yeast

T: Dark fruit, a little bit of fennel, finishes with birch bark. Slight oxidation right in the front.

M: Smooth but sharply effervescent

O: Very complex, difficult to put my finger on the flavors. A bit heavy but does not at all lay on the tongue, the carbonation sees to that. A challenge to figure out, I can't wait for another opportunity to do just that.

Lehighace06, Aug 12, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle. Pours a cloudy purplish-brown color with a thick, almond head. Strong lacing. Aroma is fruity (raisins, perhaps) with a nice bit of the Belgian yeast to it. Mouthfeel is smooth and full. Flavor is very complex. It's hard to put a finger on it. There's some caramel, apricot, alcohol, and some toffee to it. Maybe not the best beer I've ever had, but it's right up there.

Dansting, Feb 23, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Presentation: euro size brown bottle. No label. Yellow cap with freshness date: 24/02/07

This has been my holy grail of beers for over a year now. High expectations abound. Pours a deep red/brown color with no signs of co2 other than a nice large tan head. The head diminishes relatively quickly and leaves a nice creamy layer. Lace clings to the glass. The aroma is rich and earthy; malt and dried fruits, plums and spices. Hints of bubblegum and candy sugar. Flavor has a sweet start with quick effervescent spreading (rolling) of a dry metallic hop bite. Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy and surprisingly effervescent.

Flavor appears one-dimensional at first, but becomes obviously more complex and mellows as it warms. More dry than I had expected. A great warming sensation and a nice buzz that seems to come only from the Trappist brews.

SeanChouffe, Aug 17, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Big thanks to EPseja for allowing me the opportunity to sample this beer. One of eight Quadrupels selected for a blind tasting on February 12, 2009. This came in second place for me personally, but it was phenomenal all the same. These are notes from the tasting.

Served in a chalice at cellar temperature.

Appearance- Deep chestnut brown, this gorgeous beer supports a fat, inch-thick mat which stays around for the entire event. Great lacing for a beer of 10.2%, a fantastic looking beer.

Smell- Aromas of rich, dark fruit like figs and dates fill the air. There is warm bread, along with a gentle sweetness that really beckons the first sip.

Taste- Enormously mouth-filling flavors of dark fruit, chocolate, and a hint of licorice... rich malt backbone and a fleeting hop bitterness right at the end. A stellar quad.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- In a word, sublime. The texture is pure velvet, bringing out all of the complex flavors as good as it possibly could get. This was tasted blind against seven other examples of this style, and it lives up to the incredibly high standards and expectations we've all heard about. I would seek this out again without question.

yelterdow, Feb 15, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Purchased a bottle at 't Waagstuk in Antwerp.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark ruby-brown. A one-inch, beige head fades to a very persistent, thin layer, leaving thick lace.

Smell: Fairly light overall, but nice. Raisins and other dark fruit, light roastiness, with a light graininess. Alcohol is also evident, but is mild.

Taste: Very nice. Lots of dark fruit like raisins and dates. It's sweet but is balanced well by a peppery and alcoholic bite. The finish has nice bitterness to balance.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, low carbonation with alcoholic warming in the finish.

Drinkability: Sweet, but very well balanced.

Overall: This is a great beer. It might not be the best in the world, but it certainly is fantastic.

EPICAC, Dec 09, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Had this over a year ago but I finally decided to not be lazy and keep up with some old reviews. This was also apart of blind quad tasting.

Severed in Chimay chalice it produces about 2 fingers width of white fluffy head that disappears somewhat quickly the color is a outstanding dark chestrnut brown. The smell is very faint I pick up the Belgium yeast, a boozy smell and very faint caramel sweetness. The first sip is amazing, where I was let down by the smell the taste blew me out of the water. Great caramel/molasses flavor, nice dark fruit like raisins or figs, and that great Belgium yeast flavor. The mouthfeel is prefect great balance between the carbonation and the body. Overall this was one of my favorite beers I had, the 10% alc was extremely well hidden in the taste. This is a dangerous beer if I could get my hands on it more often I would drink this all the time.

phisigben, Dec 06, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

To any reader of this website, it is nigh impossible to approach this beer with any objectivity. As a perennial top-ranked beer, you either want to jump on board and sing its praise or find fault and bring this giant down to a more mortal level. Regrettably, the latter is extremely difficult to do.

Pours a deep opaque brown with a thick tan head so solid you could walk across it. Aroma is malt, candy sugar and some traces of fruit and alcohol. If any flaw exists, I would place it with the nose -- it just never develops as strongly as I would like. I wouldn't call it one-dimensional but not quite as complex as it should be.

Initial taste is warm, smooth and slightly fruity. Dark but not heavy malts, more candy sugars, traces of yeast. Some woody flavors, as if it had been barrel aged. Sweet but not cloying, maybe some plum, cherries, a faint taste of alcohol. Early taste of alcohol puts me off just a little but any reservation is gone before half the glass is emptied.

Flavors begin to bloom as it warms in the tulip. More fruits, more yeast, fewer malts, less sugary. Raisins, currants, almost sliding towards a dark lambic character. A gentile spiciness is found, reminicient of a winter warmer with traces of maple syrup, rum and allspice. A softness persists throughout, making this one very easy to drink. The ABV is hardly noticeable by the end of the glass.

No date, but bottle consumed fresh without aging. Time would only benefit this beer, it can wait longer than I can. Whatever your preference, pour in the yeast -- I downed at the last without regret.

assurbanipaul, Aug 01, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay chalice. Thanks Thijs (Brabander) for the hook-up!!

Appearance: Pours a dark black color with reddish edges. Has a large foamy head that dissipates slowly and leaves a ton of lacing.

Smell: Very complex. Has hints of dark fruits, grapes, citrus, spice, caramel, and many other things. Very strong-smelling.

Taste: Has an intense wine-like taste up front that finishes sweet with hints of caramel. Also finishes with a heavy alcoholic bite. Also has that typical yeasty flavor typical of most Belgian beers. This is one of the most complex and flavorful beers I've had yet.

Mouthfeel: Relatively full-bodied with a nice carbonation bite. Kinda was expecting more here but I'm not that disappointed.

Drinkability: A truly world-class brew. I'm deeply grateful to brabander for the opportunity to try this one. If you can get your hands on it, try it!!

wahhmaster, Feb 07, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Given to me by a friend that went on a trip to the Netherlands. I had him scout one out for me :)

Appearance is less than expected, but has a nice head in a tulip. Dark dark dark amber, nearly black.

Smell is a 10. Not a five. A ten. BEST SMELLING BEER EVER. I can't even name every nuance here. I'd try, but I would do the beer an injustice.

Best tasting beer ever. I'm so glad I am drinking this right now. I never believed the hype. Are you sure this is 10.20% abv? Haha, seriously this is amazingly smooth for the abv, the taste is second to none, annnnd... yes, this is the best tasting beer I've ever encountered. BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Perfect carbonation, perfect thickness.

I could drink 2034578349 more of these if I didn't get so buzzed up off just one :).

SaucyA, Jun 27, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

I am so freakin happy, I finally get to try this beer. This beer is my 500th review. It has been sitting in my cellar for almost a year. I had to beg borrow and almost steal to get someone one to trade me for this beer. When I got this beer there were far fewer reviews. I know everybody wants this beer so tonight is my night to either defeat the hype or promote it. Poured into a a tulip glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: The head is a light tan one finger and has good retention. The head is creamy and frothy and left lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a very dark brown color and is very hard to distinguish. The clarity of the beer is opaque and hazy.

Nose: A rich fruity aroma with alcohol presents. There is a peppery, cloves, bananas, phenols, and yeast/bread. There is so much going on in the beer that I could have missed something or some compound. In the back ground of the beer there is some solvent and sweetness.

Taste: A very deep rich fruity malty flavors. The flavors are peppery, cloves, yeasty bread, phenols and banana. There is a lot going on in the flavors. In the background of the beer there is some alcohol warmth and some sweetness.

Overall: The mouth feel is carbonated, warming, and smooth. The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium to medium full. This beer is fantastic, it has so much going on in it, yet it is so simple. The flavor explode in your mouth and is very easy to drink. The head was disappointing, nonetheless, the flavor makes up for it. I am so glad that I got to try it. It is just amazing.

colts9016, Dec 01, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Date: October 22, 2011 Mode: Bottle Source: Darkness Day. Full description not available as I sampled way too many beers during Darkness Day! October 27, 2012 had a 40 year old bottle at Darkness Day. Had the familiar Westy taste and palate, but was diminished noticeably. Past its prime, but still better than most other beers out there. No change to my ratings.

ryanfolty, Jan 05, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to dvelcich & lurchingbeast!

Poured at room temperature into a big 25 oz snifter on 10/26/10. The cap carries a date of April 29, 2013; had it right after Rochefort 10 so there's some comparison in notes.

Appearance 5/5
Clear mahogany brown with a massive, very light brown, rocky "Belgian" head, with good head retention and good lacing.

Aroma 4.5/5
Little alcohol, compared to Rochefort 10. Toasty malts with warm richness, raisins and dried plums; like a pie that's still in the oven! There's some chocolate as well, but no coffee. Little, if any, phenolic notes: I have heard that Westmalle & Westvleteren use the same yeast but I can't see any similarity.

Taste 4.5/5
Effervescent and slightly sweet at the beginning, with elements of caramelized sugar along with dark fruit in taste. A long, long finish that is dark, slightly bitter, rich, comforting, and warm, with a slight tannic astringency. This is not the best tasting beer I have had, but this sure is a magnificent beer. Only a fool could underrate its merit. Very complex with dessert like sweetness, very present hop bitterness, and wine and over brewed tea like tannic finish; the finish wouldn't have been as clean without that sharpness of character. This beer deserves to be the legend it is. I have rated some other beers higher and I will do so in future too, but this beer is quite an experience.

Mouthfeel 5/5
I have the exact same comment as I had for Rochefort 10: "The body is medium, but its presence immense." However, the mouthfeel on this one is lighter than Rochefort 10.

Drinkability 5/5
Supreme!

Other
Had it again two days later, side by side with Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus 12, Rochefort 8, Chimay Blue, Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw, and Trois Pistoles. Although I am rating Westvleteren 12 higher than Rochefort 10, it's only because of better looks and absence of alcohol in aroma; these two, although very different, are just as good as each other in my opinion. My taste preferences lean more towards Rochefort 10, which is a good thing because that's way easier to come by.

tewaris, Oct 29, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours out a very hazy brown color into a Sam Adams pint glass. Split two ways, thanks to Taylor and Frank for this bottle! One finger of tan head that leaves nice lacing.

I get i big wheat presence and slight caramel sweetness in the nose.

Taste is a complex mash up of sweet elements. I get plum, cotton candy, banana and vanilla. Big smooth sweet presence and really nice taste.

Mouthfeel is creamy and thick with moderate to high carbonation. Very well done here.

Overall there is just something amazingly drinkable and smooth about this big flavorful beer. Almost silky on the palate. Rounded flavors, I'm impressed.

pdoran10, Jun 30, 2011

33cl btl poured into a goblet, shared with KevinmusPrime, reviewed from notes

A: pours a muddy brown with a thin cream colored head with fairly good retention that leaves some spotty lacing

S: loaded with dark fruits  and molasses but not overly sweet, quite complex aroma

T: similar to smell, packed with dark fruits, a hint of molasses/brown sugar but really not very sweet, a hint of spiciness from the Belgian yeast

M: medium body, fairly low carbonation, quite smooth

O:   Definitely the best Quad I've had thus far, tasted side by side with Rochefort 10 and this was by far the better beer

ADTaber, Jul 13, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

OK A land mark review.... My first! So I thought I would start with a Slam dunk. L) Darker than I thought it would be ..Very dark but not a RIS. Two finger head. S) Molasses, dark fruits,. sweet. T) Same and stays along time, awesome. F) Very good . D) excellent.. This is not my type but I can appreciate this GREAT GREAT Beer. Is this the best beer in the world? ....I Don't think so .. I'm an RIS guy.. But I have had the best BEER in the WORLD and that is a lot more then most people can say.

eerbayman, Apr 23, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Dark brown beer with small biege head and yeast..Very complex taste and smell.Sweet smell,wet wood,little smoky,raisins,pulms,spruce,bread,coffee. Taste sweet and dry,wood,bread,chocolate dry fruits,complicated spices,alcohol (but very ballanced with the taste.so good palate,a warm complicate feeling in mouth with a very long lasting finish.It has it all :the taste,aroma,prestige the legent. It is made by monks but the feeling is like orgasm in a glass.

Samichlaus82, Oct 24, 2012

timnkate, Sep 01, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

15.12.12 Cap date. I drank it on it's 2yr bottle date.

A - rootbeer with 2cm of off white head, legs for days.

S - Candi sugar, cherries, plums, whoppers, awesome.

T - A lovely malt ball covered raisin. It's delicate and and decadent and could be sipped for a long time.

M - creamy body with a slightly dry finish.

O - Screw the hype, I love this beer. I've had it, along with most of the other Belgian quads and varying ages, and this is still my favorite. I think 2-3yrs really is perfect for the beer to showcase everything.

xpimptastikx, Dec 30, 2011
4.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Ordered a bottle at Cambrinus in Brugges. 12 euro for the bottle, but with all the hype surrounding it, I decided it was worth trying once.

It pours into the challice a deep, slightly murky brown color with a thick, tan head of foam. Excellent head retention.
Smells of rich dark fruits, caramel, fresh baked bread, cloves, and a slightly vinous grape aroma.
The smoothness of this beer on the palate is incredible. The alcohol is very well hidden. The taste is similar to the aroma, but with an incredible richness.

I went in expecting it to not meet up to the hype, but it actually almost does. I'm a big fan of Belgian dark ales, and this might actually top St. Bernardus Abt. 12 and Rochefort 10 for me. Incredible beer.

Danny1217, May 12, 2013
4.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2006 Vintage; date on bottle cap is 30. 08. 09, cellared at room temperature but in darkness for the last 7 years, acquired via beer trade. Pours a very dark brown with mahogany highlights; too dark to judge clarity, – but yeast sediment in bottle suggests the clarity isn’t good, but that shouldn’t count against bottle conditioned beer. Three finger head of dense froth- a pale sand hue. Very good head retention for the alcohol content; a thin cap persists to the finish with large specks hanging on to the sides of my chalice.

The aroma is a fantastic blend of dark, very ripe fruits but not vinous, yet clean ethanol is apparent, but not boisterous. Very bready and dark malt aromas prevail, I’ve heard that this is made using only pilsner and/or pale two row, but I would swear it used a ton of Carapils and Crystal 120. The candy sugar has pushed the Belgian twanginess forward but the yeast character doesn’t overpower the malt and the very subtle hop nose is clean and flowery like light Saaz or Hallertau.

First sip screams malt breadlines and dark fruit that continue to dominate on the tongue, with apricot suddenly becoming particularly apparent. There is a very subtle difference between multiple decoction beers and those that fake it by altering the grist bill, but the care that went into this beer is obvious, and the finished product is executed gloriously. A brief spicy hop note in the aftertaste begins to dry the palate with some help from the booze; the hop character has no doubt faded over the past 7 years, but the bitterness still provides a solid balance. This is a sweet beer, and the hop flavor is very mellow, but still within the parameters of the style. Caramel and a dark fruit are the major players here, the overall profile is not very complicated, but the flavors and aroma are highly developed and balanced well. This is an old bottle, so the carbonation has dropped off, and the sweetness would be lifted better with a fresher sample, so I will not let a slight cloying sweetness damage the score due to my own error in over-cellaring. Bubbles are very fine and achieves a superb mouthful if one is fond of Quadruples. The body is thicker, but smooth and not oily, alcohol thins the body out enough and again, a fresher bottle would have more carbonation.

Finishes with waves of sweet dark malt, apricot brandy, and the quintessential Trappist funk. While it seems sinful to imbibe more than one Westy 12 in a session, I could imagine drinking 3 maximum before the sweetness becomes overpowering. I waited too long to drink this masterpiece, but even in its ripe old age, the beer is exquisite and deserves the praise it receives.

PBRstreetgang, Aug 09, 2013
4.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle

A: Dark brown with a bit of ruby red, thin light tan head.

S: Cherries, molasses. Beautiful sweet aroma.

T: Sweet malt and cherries married perfectly. There is actually a slight bitterness I notice more than in most quads. Not much alcohol present at all.

M: Excellent. Slightly dry, fine carbonation. Goes down way too easily.

O: I was not expecting this to live up to the hype. Tried it back to back with Pannepot, St. Bernardus 12, Rochefort 10 and Pannepot. Westy was the clear winner. Fantastic!

anteater, Nov 23, 2013
4.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

330ml bottle, with labels signifying its US import status, shared with a bunch of BAs at a birthday tasting last night, 6/15/2013.

Aroma: I was really wowed by the nose on this beer. Super pungent, sweet dark fruits- figs, raisins along with a little bit of blueberry sweetness. There is quite a bit of Belgian yeastiness that I've come to associate with dubbels and quads- really complements the sweetness very well with its spiciness. Smells incredibly delicious, quite sweet, and keeps getting better as it warms up. (4.5)

Colour: Dark brown, not quite black but more like a mahogany brown. Pours a thick (a bit thinner than super thick and viscous) body. Its not quite motor oil but this is quite viscous. The head is a 1cm white, perhaps slightly tan, head that becomes a somewhat thick film on the beer. Looks delicious, like a dessert. (4.5)

Flavour: It was an incredible beer. A tasty melange of Belgian spiciness of cloves, maple syrup, figs, raisins, blueberries, and caramel. The yeast and hops mellows out the sweet malt. I think that compared to some of the other quads I've had, this puts together a great bit of flavours high in complexity that is incredibly mellow and pleasing to drink. (4.75)

Mouthfeel: Thick bodied, very viscous and incredibly chewy. Carbonation was solid, nothing special. Aftertaste is the spiciness of the yeast, which was incredible. Smooth and incredibly easy to drink! It's too bad there's only 33cl of this beer in a bottle. (4.5)

Overall: Incredible quad, one of the best beers I have ever had. I thought it was all hype and came in with a jaundiced eye, but this one really blew me away, which was an incredibly nice surprise. It's not that the specific flavours in this beer were especially great compared to other quads that I've had, but it all came together incredibly well. I think that's the difference between this beer and all the others. (4.75)

Stevedore, Jun 16, 2013