Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,887
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Poured an extremely dark brown, with a small tan head. There was tons of visible sediment and lots of swirling lace in the top. Looks pretty good in the goblet.

S - Smell is really hard to pin down. There is soo much going on here I really do not know where to begin. It was sweet yet sour, spicey and yet fruity. A bit of alcohol mixed in with hints of pears, apples, raisins, grapes, everything. This was really just soo complex I had trouble finding definate answers. Very very pleasing aroma, nothing ever smelt like that.

M & T - The feel on this was soo light, soo frothy, soo easy to put down it was almost a shame that it went soo quickly. Soo many great tastes here, this was just really fantastic. There have been soo many reviews of this that I really don't have anything else to add other then you have to try it, it just cannot be summed up in words on this page.

D - This really was everything I wanted it to be, and lives up to its rep. By far the best belgian I have had, it is just on another level. The aromas and flavors were so unique. This really just needs to be tried as it is really hard to describe it. Fantastic brew.

mikesgroove, Mar 28, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Finaly got round to opening a bottle of this stuff (had 5 bottles for a number of years), lets see what all the fuss is about.

Poured into a Westvleteren chalice, it looked fairly limp compared to it's 8% brother, wispy head on top of a moody looking dark browny/red body. I tried not to let any sediment out the bottle, but a little managed to leap past me into the chalice, I'll drink the remainder of the bottle (a fifth) with most of the sediment at the end of the review. I am reviewing live as I drink this evening.

The nose is rich red fruits, dried on a bed of dark chocolate and aged with fine English Oak, this is a smell not to mess with.

The taste is fantastic, add some carbonisation and a heap of alcohol to the aforementioned aromas and you're half way there: I found a gargantuan amount of flavours and I now see why beery people clamour for this brew so much. Sweeter than I thought it would be (shared half a glass at the brewery bar when I bought the beer, don't remember the sweetness), but that doesn't detract from the tasting I'm currently having, which I'm really enjoying.

The 10.2% only become evident as the mouth dries, so well is the body and mouthfeel, a truely great beer, certainly now in my top 10, only the appearance letting it down.

BlackHaddock, Oct 13, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

First of all I must thank meathookjones for this little bottle of what is turning out to be the best Belgian beer I have ever had the pleasure to...

Pours a hazy, dark reddish to brown with 1 inch head that stays for a bit then quickly dissapates. The lace is fine, and sticks to the snifter all the way around.

Scent is of rich bready malts, sweet candy, dark fruits, grapes and a spicey alcohol.

Taste is WOW. It is very complex. I don't know where to begin. Ok, a spicey alcohol as it starts with a solid rich malt backbone and yeast after that I get lost. I can taste some of the fruits I smelled in the finish. I get just a bit of citrus at the end as well. Did I say complex? This one is hard to get each flavor as I taste it. However, I have to place this at the top of the Belgian Quads I've had.

Mouthfeel is silky, velvety smooth. It's not sticky for being such a big beer. It goes down easy for the incredibly complex flavor and the abv. I could put many of these away in a sitting till the alcohol caught up with me (ok maybe two).

Yes, It lived up to the hype for me. I am amazed at the complexity of the flavors. The scent was fairly easy to distinguish, but the flavor was another story. Truly, a world class beer.

trumick, Apr 18, 2006

Bottled March 9, 2009.

Pours a semi-hazy dark brown color with a fairly large bubbly tan head that recedes to leave some solid lacing.

Aromas begin with an intense amount of dark raisin fruitness and caramelized sugars. As it warms you get some candy and lesser molasses notes. But the real standouts are the dark fruits consisting of dark cherries, plums, figs, and dates.

The tastes follow the nose with inital caramelized maltiness with an underlying toasted crackery maltiness. It is fairly sweet malt forward with some caramel, molasses and toffee. Once again there are strong flavors of dates and figs with some raisins and prunes as well.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side of medium with a perfect amount of carbonation (on the heavier side) that is standard in high quality, well-made Trappist beers.

Overall I was really really really impressed with this beer. After hearing for years that a Rochefort 10 is equally on par with this if not better, I have to say that I do not agree. Maybe it is the age that made this one so special and tasty but I remember being really unimpressed with the Rochefort 10 I had around a year ago. This reminds me agreat deal of the St Bernardus 60th Anniversary beer which I previously thought was the best Belgian beer I have ever had. I would have liked to sample this next to that one to really see who is tops and I will revisit a Rochefort 10 I have been aging as well in a year to see if my memory/opinions will change but I cannot say enough about this beer right now, it was quite special indeed.

claspada, Jan 02, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

While in Belgium on my honeymoon, my wife and I stopped at the Abbey St. Sixtus (the last of our stops to all seven of the Trappists). I didn't know much about Westvleteren 12 and had no idea what I had.

The first one I had was poured almost room temperature from the bottle into a matching chalice. Dark brownish/red hue. Dark brooding scents of prunes and other dark fruit.

Taste was absolutely amazing (even warm - which normally I don't care for). I was sold in the first few sips. Tastes of prunes, sweet dark fruit and spices. Very little aftertaste and almost no hint of alcohol at all. Heavier mouthfeel but drinkability was fantastic.

I turned to my wife and said "this is without question the best beer I've ever had". I felt vindicated when I found out later that I was sampling one of the highest rated and most sought after beers in the world. Brought a couple bottles home for my first wedding anniversary and I can't wait to drink them.

AZbelgian, Mar 19, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Lucky enough to try this from a friend who picked it up from the abbey in Belgium in 2008. Poured deep red with thick white head, great lace and retention, something very appealing about it. Smell was intense, sweet cherries, raisins, caramel and malt, alcohol in the nose too. Taste was equally intense, incredibly smooth and complex, sweet and bitter fruit and bready malt followed by spice and alcohol warming, yeasty with some more spice and alcohol bite in the finish. Incredible balance and complexity.

stingrayvr6, May 09, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

This isn't just a great beer, it's unique and I can attest this beer has earned every bit of hype that it receives.

A- Cloudy dark-caremel brown. Small bright white head that fades to the edge around the glass.

S- One of the best smelling Belgiun's or beers I've ever smelt. Strong sweet dark fruits, sweet grape/raisin, and a scotch-like whiff of the 10.2% ABV.

T- Incredibly smooth, like no other beer.The taste is tightly complex.. the sheer smoothness makes it hard to analyze the tastes as you instinctivly swallow this nector quickly. Big unique Belgiun malt dominance up front and overall. Finishes with spice and a presence of the 10.2% ABV.

M- Hands down the best mouthfeel I've ever experienced. Westy has this fluffy-smooth sensation that is simular to a cloud on the palate. Medium carbonation, medium bodied.

D- I had to force myself from chuggin this beer down. THe smell, taste, and mouthfeel is just incredibly smooth making this a 5 on drinkability as its like no other.

Yesac, Mar 12, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

I always assumed If I has the opportunity to try this I would have to kill three men and give away the rights to my first born to do so. Luckily for my future generations a beer bud of mine took a trip to belgium and surprised me with a bottle.

Pours a murky dark walnut in color with very little light coming through. The head is thick and bright white leaving some awesome lacing. The smell is a bit subtle for what i was expecting but the amount of scents fuzed into a singe whiff is astounding, dried fruits cinnamon yeast spices and a bunch of other things I cant even put my finger on. The taste is more complex then the smell but also subtle. Raisins the slightest citrus note cloves and a warm tasty booze dominates for me. The mouthfeel is not heavy at all but you know its there and the drinkability is through the roof. Not that anyone would want to but you could put a few of these down in a hurry if you had to. This is hands down the best Quad I have ever had, I don't know if it would be the all time best for my taste but I would never argue this being the holy grail.

dickieb, Jul 30, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Received as a wedding gift from my best man--by far the best gift we received. He got us a six pack, and my wife and I are planning on having the next five each anniversary up until our fifth.

A: Poured into a Mikasa chalice. Pours a large mocha head atop a very dark brown body. Plenty of yeast. The lacing is extremely long-lasting.

S: Lots going on here, especially as it warms up. The trademark yeast is by far the most prominent smell, accompanied by some dark malts and fruits, along with a bit of alcohol.

T: Much the same as the nose, and probably the most complex beer I've ever tasted. Plenty of dark fruits, dark malt, alcohol, fruit and yeast spice, caramel, and molasses.

M: Very full and heavy with a moderate amount of carbonation. Luscious.

D: Quite complex and takes a while to drink, and only gets better as it warms up. Very nice to savor for a long period of time while continuing to find new things going on.

Thorpe429, Sep 24, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

So it's my second Westy of any strength (had the blonde at a recent tasting, thanks colforbin), really nice beer, appearance is fine, just hard to be "exceptional" in appearance, unless you put a meringue head on a bmc (sorry that's from a recent Duvel thread and made me laugh). Actually I am going to bump up the appearance score a tad for the dramatic difference between the dark liquid and the white head, which my homebrewed attempt lacked (its head was brown).

Smell is oh so complex, lots of dried fruits, malt, subdued hops on the nose, sweet malt; taste is similarly full and complex, lots of sweetness yet not cloying in the least, sort of just what I expected and have aimed for in my homebrewed imitation. Real nice bittering hop on the finish. Mouthfeel, see taste, not thin but never thick and at this ABV that's the magic. Drinkability, I thought about a 5 here but that would be totally adjusting for ABV, a 4.5 is still fair.

Other note, slight hints of oxidation, this bottle is roughly 5-6 months old, this seems like a beer where oxidation will not be a big detriment at all. Going to open my homebrewed W12 attempt, about 9 months old now, may revisit this review if that opens new insights.

Opened the homebrewed version, makes me appreciate the real thing much more, the homebrew is actually less sweet but more oxidized, darker color and especially darker head. Loving the original.

Gilmango, Sep 06, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

I've been sitting on this one for quite a while now. Broke it out this weekend with Stopper. The bottle has been chilled for many months since purchase. The bottle foams outupon opening. Poured into a real ale fest glass. The beer pours a rich mahogany color with a beige fluffy head that settles slowly. There are lots of dark brown yeast chunks floating thorughout the pour.
Aroma is rich, complex, and sweet. I get cloves, raspberry, and for the first time ever bubblegum. Very appealing on the nose.
The first sip reveals a fairly thick body with very fine yet prickly carbonation. Flavor is spicy and fruity. I get a little green apple and some caramel and toffee notes. Almost like a toffee hard candy in fact. These flavors roll to a bit of a warming alcohol character on the finish. I also get a bit of chocolate on the finish, not like candy but hot cocoa powder.
This is a very complex beer and I am very glad to finally have tried it and add the bottle to my collection. Is it the best beer I've ever had? Tough to say, Top 15 easy. Go and look for it!

sulldaddy, May 25, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer is packed with flavor and hides its 12% alcohol very well. I just wish it was easier to find!

It pours a clear dark ruby color with a thin tan head that dissolves to a thick ring around the surface. Some spots of lace cling to the side of the glass. The aroma is mainly caramel malts, raisins, cherry's and a mild hint of alcohol. Each sip of this smooth full bodied beer is like a velvet blanket covering the tongue. The flavor is a well balanced combination of caramel malts, raisins, cherry's, molasses and alcohol. There's a slightly sour fruity finish and aftertaste with each sip.

This is a beer I searched high and low for and was very excited to finally find a single bottle sitting all by itself at a local liquor store. The flavor is exquisite and I hope to find another bottle soon.

WanderingFool, Aug 08, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Many thanks to Matthew at Capone's for selling this beauty to me. Thought this beer would be an appropriate selection for my 100 BA review.

Paired this beer with the Rochefort 10 (a beer I'm pretty familiar with), just for a reference point. I don't want to suggest the Westy blew the Rochefort out of the water, but the difference was pretty striking.

Considering what this beer had undoubtedly been through coming into my hands, it was incredibly fresh and lively. The beer poured an impressive cloudy, amber red color, with excellent head retention. There isn't a huge amount of foam, but what there is lasts and lasts. Very nice lacing throughout my tasting of this beer.

The nose is incredibly complex and, like the taste itself, continued to change the longer it sat in the glass. Initially I got lots of Belgium spice and orange citrus in the nose (but much more subtle then the type of citrus you'd get in an IPA), with a hint of sweetness. Later, this turned to an aroma of cherry, ginger and chocolate. The flavor profile replicated the nose, but was even more complex. Initial flavors were of melon, pear and cherry; later on I started to get flavors of ranier cherry, chocolate, butter and a hint of licorise. Later still there was a cola flavor (not unlike the Bernadus abt 12, a beer I have heard this beer likened to) intermixed with the cherry and chocolate. The beer is amazingly supple on the palate, and oh so easy to drink.

This beer is a joy to drink, though it was nothing like what I expected. I guess I sort of expected a Belgium version of the Thomas Hardy or JW Lee, but it was nothing like that. This beer is incredibly light on it's feet for such a big beer, and was way too easy to drink. It finishes with a whisper, a very smooth, satisfying end to a nearly flawless beer. Most excellent.

John_M, May 23, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

330 ml bottle poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

A - Dark brown with a huge creamy, tan head. Good retention and some lacing.

S - Dark fruit and spices. Not as strong as I thought it would be.

T - Zapped my tongue. Fruit, carmel, raisins, toffee.

D - Very carbonated, slightly sweet.

O - This is #1. It was extremely good, but not sure if it is my #1.

HuskyinPDX, May 31, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

ygtbsm94 was kind enough to give me one of these as an extra a couple of years back, and I'm finally getting around to drinking it on New Years Eve 2011-12. Thank you, Brad. Best by 17th Jan 2010, so that makes this almost 5 years old.

A clear very deep ruby red with a dense, light brown head that falls off to a disk surprisingly rapidly, this looks quite excellent. The nose has plenty of plum and dark fruit jam characteristics, over-ripe even, with a little bit of cola and coffee. There are caramel and bready notes as well, and combined with the dark fruit, this smells like fruitcake. The yeasty phenols have died down with age, though a mellow spice character is present with allspice, nutmeg and clove. Pretty excellent.

The palate is dominated by the dark fruit character. So ripe and jammy, there's plums, dates, raisins, even a little bit of prunes, and a touch of black raspberry. Bready on the mid-palate with dark caramel, toffee and a little bit of cola (along the lines of Pepsi IMO). A little cocoa is present as well. While a little bit on the sweet side, this finishes quite dry and is actually refreshing. Light in body with moderate carbonation, this beer has a pretty stunning mouthfeel. Best beer in the world? Nope. Best quad I've had? Pretty darned close. I'm letting my original scores stand for now.

**Original review 05-14-2008 03:13:03**
4.5/4.5/4.5/5/5

largadeer split this one with me - thanks a million for the chance to try this! Best before 19th Sept 2010

A: Very deep ruby red with dense light brown head. Excellent head retention

S: Fruity with plums, dark sugar and alcohol. Complex and sweet

T: Fruity to start with but grows in complexity with the appearance of figs on the palate. As big and full bodied as this beer starts out to be, it finishes surprisingly dry

M: Incredibly smooth with great carbonation and a sweet but dry finish

D: This is an incredibly easy-to-drink high ABV beer. I need to find more!

DefenCorps, Jan 01, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Sampled at the Tampa BA gathering 5/5/08. I think I'd had this one before but it has been a very long time. Pours a tawny, cloudy, light brown color with thin head of dense bubbles. Medium retention. Aroma displays very nice complexity - fruit, light spice, malt sweetness, even the slight essence of juicy fruit gum. The flavor builds on the notes in the nose. Brown sugar, carmel, light cinnamon, with dark fruit essences. Alcohol is well hidden beneath it all. The key is the wonderful balance of all of them - sweetness, bitterness, and fruitiness all interplay wonderfully.

Reviewing the beer long rated #1 here brings mixed feelings. Certainly it is an excellent beer, but I also believe there are some better ones out there, and my scores on this and those beers reflect that. Then again, it's all about individual tastes and how they reflect on a common scoring system. Any true conniseur knows there really is no #1 - there is a grouping of world class beers and this one belongs in the upper echelons of that group. 'Nuff said.

marksto, May 06, 2008

From notes.

A: Hazy brown color with tons of light beige head. Very fluffy foam with tons of lacing.

S: What you would expect from the style: raisins, plums, spiced/banana bread. Lots of sweetness with a little tangy kind of smell that makes me think of wine.

T: Well, it follows the nose very well. You get the best balanced quad I've ever had. Good amount of banana bread, candied ginger, dried fruits and the wine like quality I got in the smell. Extremely well balanced. Alcohol is present, but compliments the tastes very well. Warm, comfy beer.

M: As you expect from such an old yeast strain: very light and fluffy with no stickiness to be found.

D: This beer is extremely drinkable and you could get a couple of these down without realising what you are doing.

All in all, a legendary beer with old and tested heritage. A beer all beer lovers should at least taste once.

flipper2gv, Aug 29, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Wonderful lacing on a dark brown and amber body.

S: Dark fruit and molasses

T: I got a very pruney and fig flavor from it.

M: Crisp at first, but very smooth and mellow on the back end.

Overall: I recently got to try Westvleteren 12 at a blind tasting of six different Quads. Surprisingly, Pannepot was my favorite - along with three other tasters. To its credit, Westvleteren 12 was my second favorite.

shawnsteadman, Dec 21, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to jojox for the bottle. Saved this one for my 100th review.

Pours a deep murky brown color with a thick short lived head and a fine ring of lacing.

Scent is deep and fruity with yeast, raspberries, brown sugar, candi sugar and some malts. Top notch scent, I could smell this all day, just wonderful.

Taste of bananas, brown sugar, candi sugar, raspberries and blueberries. Alcohol is present, but is perfectly balanced out with the sweetness. Finish is as strong as the initial taste with the same flavors lingering.

Mouthfeel is powerful and gripping, leaks into your sinus as you hold it in your mouth giving it an incredible depth.

Drinks great for the strength and style.

While not the best beer I have ever had it is certainly one of the best and I believe it was worth the hype. I will be looking to get more of this whenever possible and I am very glad to have been able to try it.

paco1029384756, Sep 21, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Tick.

Bottle cap is dated: 10.11.14

Very large snappy, soapy, tan colored head. poor retention. Brew is deep red with lots of brown. Good clarity too. No lacing. Thin.

Tons of smooth clove, lots of spice, but not over the top. Heavenly smooth butter cream on the nose. Not sugary. I could Sniff this for quite sometime... Great raisins. Very-very mild "Belgian Banana".

Nearly distracting amount of carbonation. Large amount of bubbles. Great fluidity and heavenly drinkability. Slightly lighter and thinner than I had imagined it would be. SLIGHT rubber aftertaste on the very tail end. Sweetness is light, crisp, airy, and solid. I would prefer a bit more body and a little less fluid. Cloves are strong robust, crisp, airy. Not a banana bomb... Nice smooth dry bitter finish.

IMO, this beer delivered the hype; it's one of the few. It's not mind altering, but very solid and well rounded. *Nearly* perfect for the style. I would have enjoyed a bit stronger appearance, more forward flavoring, thicker body, and more creamy head. Definitely recommended.

chugalug06, Mar 04, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Well I've had this a few times now, and it's about time I review it. This bottle was a 2005 (Date stamped 10.02.10 on the cap) received by none other than Brad! He's the man!!! My buddy Jeff was stopping by to drop off an empty growler he borrowed and some other brews, and I just happened to be picking up a couple boxes from the mailroom at the same time.... so we decided to crack a 2005 westy 12 at 2pm on a Thursday afternoon. Why the fuck not?

Poured deep dark brown sugar color with some lighter burnt orange hue at the edge. Impressive appearance in my cantillon stemware. Tiny bubbles compose an impressive beige head that lasts almost too long... permitting me from taking my initial sip.

Well this was right out of the box into my glass, mailroom temperature... both Jeff and I noted a distinct apple cider aroma... it was uncanny. Really just dark, unfiltered, unpasteurized, spiced apple cider. Along for the ride, some pumpernickel bread, caramelized brown sugar, barely a hint of oxidation, but it is very well integrated. Raisins, pears and some brandy. One of the things that is so impressive about this beer, is that it's 10.2%... it's not 'light' tasting, but still just feels so pleasant on the palate. It's not as 'dark' as previous times that I have had it (or as I remember)... a little less of a dark fruit presence than some other bottles I have been a part of. Low-medium but well-executed carbonation perfectly accentuates the delicate and more subtle flavors of this beer. It's just a masterfully concocted beverage and one that I hope to be able to enjoy for years to come. This review is for the 2005 bottle, but numerically reflects what this beer is fresh, and what it can be with a little time on it.

Ineedabeerhere, Apr 04, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Went to the abbey last week and stopped at the Cafe. Truly worthwhile, the best stop on my whole european tour. So here goes...

Poured a dark brown with lighter colored hues on around the edges. A large one inch light tan head sits on top of the beer and leaves a great bit of lacing around the glass.

The aroma is quite nice. A bit of alcohol, but some delicious dark ripe fruits of plums and raisins. There is a fairly strong malt profile and slightly sweet.

The taste truly is incredible with a remarkable aftertaste. Taste of sweet ripe fruits, plums and dates. This is followed by a very malty finish, most noteably caramel flavors. Maybe even a little pepper at times?

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and incredibly creamy. The carbonation is perfect with a slight tingle in the mouth.

Drinkability is moderate to high. The incredible flavors are easy to consume, and beer is very smooth. The alcohol is hidden very well too. However, the high alcohol limit consumption of tihs beer. All the same, if I could drink this beer with no consequences then I would probably do it all day long. A true work of art and a pleasure. Although I don't think I'll ever end my quest for the perfect beer, this has taken me several steps closer.

Goliath, Apr 26, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Poured 3/5 of bottle into a goblet. Creamy 1/4 inch of head. Lots of small bubbles. Dark rustic brown w/ red highlights around the edges w/ sediment floating around. Second pour gives a nice tan head w/ red tinge on side, small fine bubbles. Some lacing is left on glass.

S:Sweet aroma, banana, bread, chocolate, raisin all melded together. As beer warms up, smell is fantastic. My favorite thing about this beer is the smell.

T:Can't quite pick up lots of individual characteristics, but as a whole the taste is pleasant/complex. Hints of rum alcohol w/ a long finish accented w/ a touch of bitterness. 30 min after, a chocolate taste is more pronounced, doughy, vanilla, raisin bread, banana.

M: Luxurious, high amount of tight carbonation, creamy mouthfeel. Spreads the flavor of around the palate and gives beer a good body. Amazing!

D: Great beer! Has a nice warming effect. Perfect beer to drink while relaxing.

steadydose, Mar 14, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Review 500! with an epicly famous beer.
16.06.13 bottle dating

A: Pours a very healthy head into a tulip with heavy lacing. Dark muddy brown in color with tiny visible bubbles coming to the top of the glass.

S: There is a lot of bubblegum mixing with figs, dates, prunes, and plums. A dry belgian yeast aroma with caramelized sugars.

T: First sip was a little more bitter than I had expected. There is a deep fig taste with plenty of bittering characteristics, a dry tongue buckling presence of either oak barrels or a large dosing of bittering hops. There are caramelized sugars all over mixing nicely with a dark belgian candied sugar presence.

M: Perfect mouthfeel really. There is a medium body with a mild carbonation. Slick rolling mouthfeel that stayed consistent.

O: It lived up to its name. Glad to try this before hitting up Belgium in a few weeks. I will be sure to take notes of all the other great beers I am trying out there.

alpinebryant, Sep 16, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

HUGE thanks to yesac for sending me this without setting up a trade, or wanting anything in return. youll get yours buddy, dont worry. 11.2oz bottle with no label and the famous yellow cap with 19/11/11 on it.

A- this pours a murky dark brown with a finger of thick looking cream colored head that lasts a while and leaves a solid ring on the sides of my glass. cant ask for anything more.

S- sweet malts first and foremost. lots of fruits. raisins/tobacco, figs, plums, grapes, and maybe a bit of apple. some alcohol odor comes through.

T- sweet caramel and toffee malts. lots of ripe dark fruit. cherries, raisins/tobacco, plums, figs and grapes. a hint of alcohol, that adds to the experience. extremely complex and leaves me wanting another sip immediately after i finish one.

M- light, fluffy, and highly carbonated which i was expecting for the style. what i wasnt expecting was how smooth this one was going to be.

jwinship83, Mar 15, 2009