Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,071
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from the bottle into a Goblet

A-Deep caramel brown, very light head that lingers around the edges. Very dark brown yeast floats all over, not sinking to the bottom just stays suspended in the glass.

S-So incredibly much going on here its crazy notes of bannanna, sweet fig, maple syrup, white grape, spicy hops. Also a woody note to go with the slight alcohol undertone.

T-Bitter malt and yeast with a very earthy wine flavor in the middle. On the very tip of your tongue it is incredibly sweet while on the sides and back it comes across incredibly bitter and boozy. The complex nature of the hops, yeast and malt all blend like nothing I've ever tasted before, and the alchol flavors that it finishes with give it a nice burn in the back of your throat. As rich and complex as the beer is the most amazing thing is the way it just goes away off your palate but leaves a very flavorful burn in the back of your throat.

M-Rich and oily, but not bad oily a very sliky smooth feel. Carbonation even on the 3 year vintage is near perfect. Feels very much like a wine in your mouth.

D-This is an amazing beer but I would never want it all the time. What I would like to do is get hold of a few of them or even be lucky enough to try one fresh.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired from beerinvest.eu (De Struise shop) on 4/29/2010, consumed 1/17/2011. Best before date on cap is "24.03.13" Served in a Bruery tulip.

Appearance - Opaque brown - lighter than a stout. 1cm head, subsiding slowly to consistent lacing.

Smell - light alcohol, raisins, caramelized sugar (but not as heavy a caramelized sugar as Westy 8). Warm and inviting. Light spicing - perhaps anise?

Taste - some roasted malts. I'm usually not a big fan of quads -they're usually overwhelmingly cloying. But it seems to have a nice balance of noble hops. Slight orange peel flavor.

Mouthfeel - nice carbonation - helps bring out the flavor. Not sickly sweet, but thick.

Drinkability - much like Westy 8, I'm picking up new things on each sip. I wish I could keep picking up this beer and figuring it out.

I figured the "best beer in the world" would be more mind blowing - but this is more cerebral. It doesn't stand out in any one way, but it seems a great exercise in balance. Don't get me wrong, it's strong, but restrained.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into my Trappist Westvleteren goblet after getting a HOLE IN ONE yesterday. What a way to celebrate. Dark opaque brown with a frothy two finger head; some minor lacing down the glass. Smell was heavenly; dark fruits, malty with some spice, sweet. Taste was similar, very complex; sweet and dry at the same time, very rich fruit flavor; figs, raisins, dates? Amazing how long down the throat the flavors continue. As it warmed it was slightly easier to taste the 10% ABV. Mouthfeel was really good, with a high degree of carbonation to keep all corners of the pallette involved in the pleasure. Drinkability from a flavor standpoint is good, but this one sneeks up on you. A powerhouse of alcohol.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Big thanks to akorsak for this bottle from a few months ago. Cap date is 09.08.09. This is to celebrate the completion of my second year of law school.

a - pours a deep dark mahogany with a slight red tint, thick two finger head with great retention, slight lacing

s - lots of caramelly sweetness, dark fruit, definite alcohol presence, quite spicy, black pepper, slight clove

t - big maltiness, caramelly sweetness, dark fruits, raisins, prunes, slight milk chocolate, nice alcohol bite on the end, but not overwhelming, quite spicy on the finish, lots of pepper, very, very complex

m - medium-bodied, very creamy, coats the whole mouth well, very nice warming, moderate carbonation

d - this is definitely a sipper, but it's so complex and the alcohol is there but not overwhelming

Wow, I wasn't sure what to expect with all the hype, but this is one fine beer. Certainly the best Belgian I've had. I don't think I'll be trying this again anytime soon due to the trouble/cost involved with getting one, but it's definitely one of the best.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Shawn for this brew.

A- Pours a Dark Carmel brown with a nice finger head that leaves lacing all the way down the glass. When held up to the light there are lighter carmel hues on the edges of the glass

S - Smells of Carmel, brown sugar, some dark fruits and Booze.

T - Is a bit more complex than the nose, Brown Sugar, Carmel, Dark Fruits specifically plum, raisin, fig and hints of apple, belgium yeasty flavors, vanilla?, followed by some booze on the backend, overall very tastey.

M - Medium bodied, what you would expect from the style.

D - Taste is magnificent, ABV be damned I could drink this all night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cap reads 20.05.14 making this born on 5/20/2011 I believe. Huge thanks to a kind soul on another forum for sending this to me! Poured into a chimay goblet and allowed to warm up for a while.

A - Great dark brown body that allows a bit of light to pass through. There is a little bit of sediment that settled at the bottom of the glass. Fantastic off white/light khaki head that sticks around forever. Really creamy and tight bubbling with some moderate lacing and retention.

S - Loads of dark candied/caramelized fruits. Figs, prunes, plums, raisins etc. This is followed by a great spice note and some light yeast and alcohol. Extremely well balanced.

T - Follows the nose. Candied dark fruits, caramel, and then the spices. The aftertaste is of Belgian yeast. The flavor is so well balanced and delicious. I could down pint after pint of this stuff. The alcohol is not noticeable at all.

M - Creamy, medium mouth feel with just the right amount of carbonation. It coats your mouth but doesn't stick around for too long. Fantastic.

O - I actually wanted to not like this beer as much as I did. I know it has a great deal of hype and I figured since I invested $0 on the bottle I would be going into it unbiased. It blew me away though. This is an excellent quadrupel and its worthy of its high ranking. I enjoyed it much more than the easier to find examples, and the only other quad that I have had that surpassed this was pannepot grand reserva.

3/20/2010 Review @ In De Vrede

A- Poured from the bottle into a Wesvleteren chalice with a good 1" of rocky khaki colored foam, and some lovely lacing observed along the glass. The body is a turbid garnet-tinged brown. No visible carbonation, but that may have something to do with the opacity. Looked gorgeous. (4.5)

S- Initial impressions are rich candy and roasted malts, some Belgian yeast aromatics, some candi sugar, as well as some faint stale hops. As the beer warms up, much more of those fruity esters- rich complex aromas of chocolate, cherry, dried dark fruit, and leather begin to emerge on the nose. (4.5)

T- This was a rollercoaster in the mouth. Initially, when served cool, the taste was comprised of extremely rich flavors of caramel and roasted malts, candi sugar, some stale hops and some fruity esters. The finish lingers wonderfully with esters. As the beer warmed, the malts were perceived as more bready, and the sweet fruity esters emerged as well (chocolate, cherry, dried fruit, and leather). The warmer beer peaked in the mouth with increased candi sugar, some faint hop bitterness and just a *touch* of booziness, which was non-offensive, simply warming and pleasant. More perceived caramel, chocolate and molasses emerged in the middle as well, and now the finish lingers with malt and just a touch of hop bitterness. Amazing how the beer continually evolved throughout the drink. (5.0)

M- A medium to full body. Not a ton of texture there. Some unattenuated sugar. The carbonation is not as soft as I would have liked, but it's not quite bloating. As the beer warmed, the carbonation began to soften and create for a creamier mouthfeel, which was just wonderful (4.5)

D- The alcohol is very well hidden throughout the drink. So smooth and creamy, the aromas and flavors are incredible. This is dangerously drinkable. (4.5)

---

7/20/2009 Review

A- Pours an opaque dark brown; medium head with some nice lacing. (4.5)

S- Raisins, figs, dates co-mingle with candy sugar and yeast in the nose. (4.5)

T- The dark fruit now seems to meld with some dark chocolate notes, and a slightly warming alcohol burn. Finishes slightly yeasty and metallic, but in a non-offensive way. Just a lot going on here. All good stuff. (4.5)

M- Creamy full body that coats the mouth, allows for extended enjoyment after each sip. (5)

D- Exceptionally drinkable given the ABV. Could have 3 or 4 of these in a sitting if I were so lucky. (4.5)

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Ah, To get this beer here in California. That in it's self is quite a feat. The much sought after Westvleteren 12 - 6 pack finally arrived after weeks of pursuit. Refrigererated to only 12 degrees C per Saint Sixtus' website.
Appearance - Pours a beautiful mahogany brown with just the slightest head.
Smell - Smells of caramalized sugar and dark fruits. Some spices too. You know this will be something special.
Taste - Candy sugar and cocoa; Hop bitter palate. Dark fruits evident. WOW ! Considering this is a 10.2% you would not know it incredibly smooth. Rochefort 10 is great but heavy alcohol taste evident. This beer is very complex but tastes excellent.
Mouthfeel - Carbonation slight, not overbearing. Almost creamy/frothy.
Drinkability - What can I say. For a 10.2%abv this has got to be hands down the most drinkable quad I have ever had. PERIOD ! So smooth.

Overall - This is a great beer. Worth the painstaking time, effort and money to get it over here ?? Probably not. I would never turn this beer down, but thank god for Rochefort and St. Bernardus which are here and a lot cheaper.
All beer connoisseurs must at least try the #1 rated beer in the world. Excellent !

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Once this was poured it had a cloudy mahogany hue to it.
The smells were so complex I had trouble deciding what was all in there. The only prominent smell was fruit filled pastries.
I could taste barley and molasses with an oaky finish. There was so many subtle flavors mixed in I couldn’t decipher many of them. Once it warmed the flavors changed.
The mouth feel was syrupy and creamy. The texture was smooth with light carbonation.
I think this beer was a bit too overwhelming for me right now.
There was so much going on I didn’t know what was going on. I especially enjoyed letting it warm and seeing the changes that occurred in the flavor.
Once my palate is more refined I’d love to try this again and see what I can decipher.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

33 cl unlabeled bottle; cap dated best before 5/13/2006. Pours a deep coppery brown with a fluffy light tan head. Caramel and apple aromas with some healthy yeast notes. Sipping is the true measure of this beer. Mostly malty and sweet, however there is the most intriguing floweriness in the finish, like a blossom. Appley esters come into play a lot and work well to hide the alcohol. Good mouthfeel, not too sticky like other quadruples. Overall, a wholly excellent brew that is quite elusive to many. It's worth the effort to seek it out.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

A special treat for my wife and I on our anniversary, as she is a huge Belgian fan. Pours a hazy deep brown color, with huge (2 finger), thick head that quickly evaporates into my goblet. Little darker than I expect from a quad. The smell was striking to me, and in a good way. It was nice mix of the sweetness of raisins and honey and an almost red wine alcohol smell. A very unique, and very enticing smell. The complex aroma is definitely a forebearer of the taste. A blend of a malty, sweet backbone, with spices, and that red wine character (I am not a huge wine advocate, so I cannot describe it any more specifically, and have never used a wine reference in a beer review, it just fits here). Medium carbonization and a medium density makes this rest nicely in the mouth, allowing you to enjoy all the complexities of the flavor. The ABV is also superbly masked by the complex flavor. Worthy of its lofty status indeed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark red color with very little light coming through. Lots of sediment in the bottle, some of which ended up in the Duvel glass I poured the beer into.

Smell: Sweet caramel with fruit tones. The fruits seem like cherries, strawberries and even banana. Crisp and malty wtih distinct candy-like sweetness.

Taste: Very rich and sweet. Vinous is probably the best overall descriptor. Clean maltiness with a dry and sandy finish. Well hidden 10% ABV. Dry grass, apple, berries, tannins, and a refreshing carbonation. Some light caramel notes linger delicously. This beer is absolutely delicious. No offensive flavors but very well rounded and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick bodied with a great feel on the palate. Not sticky but nice and dry at the end. The dryness seems to amplofy the aftertaste a bit. Well done.

Drinkability & notes: There is no question that this is an excellent beer and very drinkable. This is the second time I've drank and review this beer and I must say I enjoyed it much more this time. The flavor is much more appealing and tasty to me this time around. This was definately worth a re-review

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Entry 1/8/09: So this is what good beer tastes like. The date is a little confusing. Does any one know what 24.09.11 denotes? I have two more bottles, should I let these sit around a lot longer?
Also, I had it at room temperature (approx. 72F) then put it in the fridge a few days ago. I let it sit out for about 10 minutes before I opened it. Did I ruin anything in this process?

A- I poured it into a pint glass. The color is an awesome light but murky brown. Very thin head that remained throughout, and some lacing.

S- Sweet and hoppy.

T- Like it smells. A little too strong for my tastebuds, bud I can definitely get used to it.
The high ABV probably takes some getting used to.

M- A little dry, but again, I can get used to it.

O- I'm really looking forward to the other two. One is enough for now.

Entry 12/21/09: This is bottle two of three that my wife got for me last Christmas. The date on the cap reads, "24.09.11". I stored this in my pantry for the last year, and placed it in a cooler set at about 45 degrees for a couple of days. Poured into a tulip glass.

A= Once opened, the contents fizzed out. This caused the sediment to swirl throughout the glass as I poured it as quickly as possible. It looked as thick and chewy as was perceived in the mouthfeel.

S= Honey and raisin bread

T= Very balanced watery sweetness, hop tartness, and alcohol hotness.

M= Medium-heavy viscosity. Smooth aftertaste.

D= I wish I could say, "Keep 'em coming!", but at $20 a bottle I gotta save bottle number three.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Christmas Eve, 2010. 5 years and 1 day on BA fcr me. Kids are asleep, presents wrapped, house is clean (more or less). . . time to celebrate with my first Westy 12.

A big thanks to MRMOJORISIN for the bottle - and 15+ years of sharing great beer, great tunes and good times.

Best-by date on the bottle cap is 9.11.11. Allowed the bottle to sit at room temperature for about 10-12 minutes. Not sure if that's enough to take the chill off, but I'm like my 6-year old on Christmas Eve right now - that is, excited and anxious, and asking for patience is just unreasonable.

A: A slight gush upon popping the cap is followed by a careful effort to decant the yeast. Poured into a Piraat snifter/tulip-type glass (I debated between this glass, a Duvel tulip and a Chimay chalice). Body is dark brown with a light-khaki-colored 1/2-finger head. Head settles fairly quickly to a film, with some bubbles rising to fortify the foam and popping like the occasional stray fireworks on the Fourth of July. Leaves some splotchy lace. Notwithstanding the careful pour, there is plenty of sediment in suspension.

S: The smell is wonderful, and - besides the slight gusher upon opening - provides the first impression. Raisins, candied sugar, dried fruits in general are all present in a candy-like package. Hint of black licorice too. Waft of alcohol as it warms up a bit more.

T: Here goes. . . When my father-in-law drinks SNPA, he puts it down very quickly and is fond of saying "it's like candy." Well, THIS is like candy. Those dark fruits are there, along with candied sugar. Regular fruit too - some berries or maybe cherries (slightly booze-soaked). Alcohol warmth - it's warm, not hot - is felt on the way to the belly, but in a soft, not harsh, kind of way. Slight drying from the alcohol at the finish of the sip too. Lingering bitterness seems somewhat tannic.

M: Like a good Belgian - there is a fine fizziness that makes it feel lighter in heft than it really is, and almost airy on the palate. That fizziness helps to cleanse the palate after each sip

D: Extremely drinkable, especially for a beer of this strength. I'd give it a 6 if I could in this category.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Friend of mine brought me a few of these back from Belgium at my begging.

Pours a deep ruby shade of brown with a nice head that dissipates before too long. Smells of sweet malts, dark fruits, spices with slight mint and clove. It begins to flesh out as it warms. The taste is phenomenal. it's incredibly full and seems to put every taste receptor and area of the tongue on overload. Mouth tingling. At first it's all spice and sweet dark fruits. Raisins, plums, black cherries, some slight earth and rum. Then there's a nice gentle hop twang and then the spice really gets going and completely overwhelms me in the finish. Blackpepper, clove, coriander and faint mint. A bit phenolic. As I swallow my tongue begins to water and tingle all over. Owned thorougly. The taste lingers in my mouth and nasal passages. Truly remarkable. The body is medium and the carbonation too, but it coats the mouth beautifully and conceals the alcohol like a master thief.

Fantastic.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What better beer to reach the 500 karma level with?
It pours a deep dark murky brown with and tannish beige head. An earthy aroma of cut hay, coffee, cocoa, sweet malt, hops and warming alcohol excites the olfactory senses. Sweet caramel malt, buttery biscuits, toffee, banana, lemon zest, light pine, hint of herbs and flavors of dark rum mingle and dance in perfect rhythm and harmony. This is a very drinkable brew for something of this strength. Velvety smooth and lush. Is there a perfect beer out there? Almost...try the Blue Cap Abt 8.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aquired this beer through an early christmas present from my father in law. How he got it? Who knows. I am just starting to get into high quality craft beer, but I have already exploded my taste buds. Anyhow, here are my thoughts.

Appearance - Dark brown, Caramel color on bottom with a lighter tone on top.

Smell - Dark fruits, a hint of raisins.

Taste - So many different things going on. First drop that hits your mouth is a 360 spin from the last flavor that hits you. In my opinion, it starts out bitter, then quickly goes into an almost sweet aftertaste. By sweet i mean chocolatey, then a hint of raisins.

Mouthfeel - I believe mine is aged a couple years, so it is lighter. Not thin what so ever though. Just right.

Overall Westvleteren 12 impressed me more then i thought. There were so many different flavors going on that it blew me away. The best beer in the world? Maybe, maybe not. But it is a good beer that anybody should try if they have the chance.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz bottle sharred with my two brothers.

Cap Date: 07/01/14

A- Pours a 1 ½ finger tan head that dissipates slowly, really nice lacing, dark dark brown color, burnt orange hues coming off the bottom, really attractive beer.
S- Beautiful aroma, sweet dark fruit aroma coming out right away, Plums, raisins, brown sugar, caramel, toffee, really complex aroma.
T- Wow, this is Incredibly smooth, brown sugar and toffee come out a lot stronger in the taste than the aroma, dark fruits come out in the background, plums, raisins just like the nose, again really smooth and easy drinking, the abv is nowhere to be seen.
M- Medium mouth feel, incredibly smooth drinking, clean finish, coats the palate, well carbonated.
O- I have had this on numerous occasions and I always forget to review it. This bottle really surprised me compared to the past bottles I’ve had, incredibly smooth, and well balanced. World class beer, very impressive.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Urbancaver for splitting this bottle with StayWhatYouAre2, w113raf, and me. After a great weekend at Jackie O's, this was an amazing way to kick off our tasting.

A: Pours a dark brown with amber hues, especially when held to light. Small tan head that dissipates slowly, leaving decent lacing.

S: A plethora of dark fruit are dominate ... especially plum, fig and cherries. Yeasty with sweet carmel and syrup. No booze in the nose at all. Very, very nice.

T: Much like the aroma, the taste is dominated by dark fruit. Sweet, but not overly sweet. Toffee and maple syrup perfectly meld with the fruit and yeast to create something truly special. Just a bit of alcohol on the back end, but certainly not what you'd expect for a 10.20% quad.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation with fine bubbles, creating a smooth, silky presence on the palate. Warming alcohol and just a bit drying.

I really enjoyed this, and would highly recommend it. Thanks again to Urbancaver for his generosity.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally. Got it for a college friend's graduation from law school. Pours a deep amber brown with a generous caramel colored head. Has an aroma of dark fruit, caramel and malts. Some breadiness. The taste was worth the wait. This beer is not overrated. Sweet up front, then dark fruit taste. Chocolate notes show up. The carbonation hits at the perfect spot. Nice dry clean bitter finish with a subtle tart aftertaste.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Review #1. Poured into a Dogfish head glass. All I have right now.

A - Pours a brownish, slightly red with little khaki head, and slight amount of lace.

S - Just as advertised, smells like so many dried fruits. Hint of alcohol, which is amazing seeing its 10.2% ABV.

T - Incredible taste of raisins, not the black ones, more like the golden ones. Reminds me of alittle bit of lemon and orange rind. Great spice and minimal alcohol, which again amazes me. Webster should change complex to Westvleteren 12.

M - This is the best part. I really don't want to swallow it. If this beer was served worldwide we would have world peace. A nice slight burn from the alcohol is just what I wanted. Good amount of carbonation but not like a can of coke thank god. Really is balanced, these others have it right.

D - I have said it a few times but you really have no idea that this is a 10.20% ABV and that is evident by how easy this is to drink. I would say this may be the perfect comfort beer as it alters the doldrums.

What an experience. This is my first review on this site but by no means is this my first beer or review. At this rate I doubt I will find a better beer. If you can find it, try Belgian stores or trade here, pull the trigger on it and don't think twice.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

A=pours an amazing brown color with a thin miniscule head that dissapaits quickly to nothing.
S= sweet grapes all around reminicent of wine deep dark fruits are present with a slight tart note. Very little alcohol but some is present.not as flavorful as anticipaited but the flavors blend beautiful. Pretty bready and buttery with flavors of plums and prunes. Really great grape notes are in it. Smooth in every way.
M= the best part of the beer. Super smooth and delicious. Amazing.
D= awesome. The most amaing thing I've tasted in a long time.