Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,031
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -18.7%

3.75/5  rDev -18.7%

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage

A- One inch off-white head recedes quickly to a cap and thick collar throughout. Deep ruby red body color with light purple hues around the edges. Splotchy lacing.

S- Major raisins, prunes, grapes, dark fruits aplenty. Slight hint of oxidation but it works well with the Westy 12.

T- More with the raisins but finishes with a taste of cherries. Well balanced hop profile to malts but yeast dominates as it should. Dangerously drinkable for 10.2%abv.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Medium-low carbonation fits great to the overall profile of the beer.

D/O- The Westvleteren XII excels in every aspect of it's attributes. A complete beer if their ever was such a thing. Highly recommended for any Belgian beer fan. A thank you to digita7693 many moons ago for the LIF send out. Happy college graduation to me :)

4.89/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Ah, the ever-elusive Westy 12!

I’m writing this one up for my 1,000th review. (I don’t count my “hads” against my total.)

I had the opportunity to share this one at an epic bottle share. I’ll take it! As my first beer of the session I received a hearty pour, relatively speaking, and I knew it would be my one chance to try it. 29.11.15 on cap.

The Westy pours with this deep amber-raisiny pureed color. There’s an amazing aroma—it’s exactly what I want and everything I’d expect, only layered like a filing cabinet of sensory delights. Raisin and fig and a bready ester which warms, revealing notes of rum and brown sugar.

Yes, there’s hype. Yes, it’s rare (-ish, post 2012). Certainly all that factors, consciously or not, into my experience. All that aside, my god was it good.

3.5/5  rDev -24.1%