Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,026
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle

A: Dark brown with a bit of ruby red, thin light tan head.

S: Cherries, molasses. Beautiful sweet aroma.

T: Sweet malt and cherries married perfectly. There is actually a slight bitterness I notice more than in most quads. Not much alcohol present at all.

M: Excellent. Slightly dry, fine carbonation. Goes down way too easily.

O: I was not expecting this to live up to the hype. Tried it back to back with Pannepot, St. Bernardus 12, Rochefort 10 and Pannepot. Westy was the clear winner. Fantastic!

4.91/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The best way to start is from the beginning....I can't recall a beer where the aroma instantly filled the air after the opening of the bottle in this matter. Right up the nostrils....

We got a solid pour into two deep wine glasses where the perfect amount of yeast sediment stayed in the bottle (I only drank that later after lamenting that the Westy was gone forever)

After reading about how many flavors and tastes would come with each sip, I certainly had my doubts only. I came to realize there was truth behind these claims. I noticed smoke and pepper with the initial sips only to catch oak on the back end. As it warmed and settled, the fruit notes took over and it became a bit more sweet with every sip.

Went down smooth and the mouthfeel was spot on.

It's a bit sad the quest is over but the end result was not disappointing at all. I walk away from the experience realizing how much I truly love Belgian beers. It will be nice knowing that I no longer have to compare other beers by saying "but I still haven't had westvleteren yet..."

3.75/5  rDev -18.7%

3.59/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a very good beer. I like it old however. Opening this beer fresh is a waste of time and money. It is like drinking it with only 50% of its potential. I think I enjoyed the chase for this beer more then actually drinking it. It is a very good beer but not as good as all the hype. I have had it fresh, and aged multiple years.