Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,081
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.87/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Ah, the ever-elusive Westy 12!

I’m writing this one up for my 1,000th review. (I don’t count my “hads” against my total.)

I had the opportunity to share this one at an epic bottle share. I’ll take it! As my first beer of the session I received a hearty pour, relatively speaking, and I knew it would be my one chance to try it. 29.11.15 on cap.

The Westy pours with this deep amber-raisiny pureed color. There’s an amazing aroma—it’s exactly what I want and everything I’d expect, only layered like a filing cabinet of sensory delights. Raisin and fig and a bready ester which warms, revealing notes of rum and brown sugar.

Yes, there’s hype. Yes, it’s rare (-ish, post 2012). Certainly all that factors, consciously or not, into my experience. All that aside, my god was it good.

3.5/5  rDev -24.1%

3.25/5  rDev -29.5%

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

2.17/5  rDev -52.9%

Bottle courtesy of Steve via an IP trade this week. Thank you for the opportunity! My old balls still remember when this beer traded highly, never saw stateside distribution, and was ranked the top beer on this site. Bout time to get around to drinking and reviewing I guess. Cap reads 16.02.13 which makes this an 08 if my cap translation is up to par.

Pours a rusty brown with some spotted bubbles. Looks like mud- butt toilet water to be honest.

Smells of yeasty prunes with a splash of almond.

Taste is watery raisin juice and a touch of almond bark and cherry thrown on top. Feel is watered down and thin. What the hell is going on here?

Maybe I'm on hidden camera...in fact, I hope so. Maybe I'd chuckle and wag my finger at the scalawag who expertly placed their bullshit attempt at a quad in this bottle and expertly recapped it. If I'm not being tricked, then I'm a healthy mix of bewilder-pissed. Not since watching The Happening and feeling a palpable loss of all respect for M. Night have I been this bewildered. Prankster Monk possibility aside, this is one "world class" beer that's hitting my fucking drain.

4.62/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Deep amber, brown with golden tone. Foam - nice off-white, even, equal bubbles. Very good retention. Hazy with some floating yeast.

Smell: Dark fruit, raisins, little banana. Deep sweet malt; brown, burnt sugar. There is some very subtle smokey, roast notes, hint of coffee (more like cappuccino). There is also some sour and (hm) "bitter" tone. Superb balance, yet subtle and complex.

Taste: Dark fruits again, little spike from high alcohol. Very smooth, creamy, caramel, toffee and cappuccino middle malts. Little brandy notes but not overwhelming. There is also some very subtle funk. Ends with a very good mix of sour and malty aftertaste. Perfect. Last sips with some yeast, nice finish.

Mouthfeel: Starts a little spicy then very smooth, full. It is slightly warming doe to the high alcohol but goes away after a few sips. Alcohol very well hidden. Surprisingly good and lively carbonation. Leaves a nice creamy feeling.

Overall: Was skeptical with all the hype, but it delivered. Balanced, subtle and very complex. Definitely a must try.