Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,759
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
MMAJYK

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

This review is for my virtual mug! I have been holding off on this awesome brew for that special occaision.

A- Milk chocolate brown with light browinsh 1" film on top surface after a conservative pour. Lacing is shimmery like glitter on the sides of the glass. Nice floaties in the glass, but most was left in the bottle, leaving 3/4" of beer and sediment behind.

S- Plums, cherries and sour tones with roasted malts well blended throughout. After warming a bit, I pick up the darker side with chocolates and raisins. Buttery too.

T- Chocolate, caramel, and same dark fruits. The chocolate and caramel really come out after warming it a bit. The alcohol is nice and warming. You know you have a real beer when you drink this one.

M- Medium mouthfeel with high carbonation. Stingy all over the tongue. Very nice.

D- Alcohol taste and warming keeps it from a perfect score, but still very high.

Overall- From the look, to the smell, to the taste, to the feel, just a bad ass beer. I see what the fuss is about and I am glad to try it, and also glad to try more. I feel that this particular beer is a little young, and will only get better with age.

01-07-2008 23:06:36 | More by MMAJYK
shbobdb

Indiana

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I don't really like Quads.

But I've always insisted that for every style there is one beer that will radically change your perception of the style and make you fall in love with it.

Westy 12 is that beer.

The head just won't die and the beer is a pleasant plum colour.

The smell, well, words fail me. There is simply too much going on to really accurately describe. If I had to choose a smell, I would say chestnut. But there are hints of mint, chocolate, plums, pears -- a veritable cornucopia of smells.

The taste follows smell. At first there is a strong nutty presence (chestnuts, definately) with baker's chocolate, plums, pears, you know, all the stuff I described in the smell section. The finish is outstanding: there is a quick 'minty' taste from continental hops that clears the palate and leaves room for the rich taste of cinnamon, allspice, and clove. It manages to be sweet and bitter at the same time. Such a wonderful contrast. So much going on here, words fail.

I've really disliked the mouthfeel of other Quads. I guess I'm gonna have to give the style another shot. This mouthfeel is actually quite pleasant, I think largely because the finish is nice.

Drinkability? This is good. A single bottle will take me a long time to finish and it is unlikely that I would want to reach for another, but man, what a beer.

I'm a believer.

12-29-2006 01:11:33 | More by shbobdb
drowland

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

The aroma hints of grapes and some dark fruits as well. The flavor is grapes and dark fruits mixed with wonderful Belgian yeast characteristics - and no hotness whatsoever. This is delicious, well balanced, and very smooth. The mouthfeel is amazingly soft and effervescent like real Champagne.

07-25-2011 14:48:19 | More by drowland
buffs9

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

2003 bottling (cap reads 12.08.06)

This is my first Westy 12, so nothing to compare to - starting w/ an 8 year old bottle.

A- Pours very deep brown and murky, got a bit of sludge toward the end of the pour, I did manage to keep most of this out of my goblet. Very thin head.

S- Amazing. Mostly picking up plum and raisin. Definitely has a port thing going on here.

T- Very good. Dark fruits, candy sugars, a bit of a port booziness going on here. Quite warming and both strong and delicate at the same time.

M- Beautiful creamy, leaves a bit of an oily feel in my mouth, which I like.

O: Again, never had one before, but I love this. Would really like to try one w/ less age to compare. I've got a few more 8 year olds, which I'm totally fired up about after finally cracking one open.

12-31-2011 21:27:59 | More by buffs9
akorsak

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

A 33 cL bottle purchased from BelgianShop.com.

A: The beer is a deep, dark brown color. When held to light, a few red hints emerge, but not enough to radically change the color. The head is a billowy white crown, pouring to 2 fingers and leaving lace throughout the goblet.

S: The beer has a big, bold alefruity aroma. The scents are thick and lucious, with raisins, milk chocolate, figs and yeast dominating the nose.

T: The ale has as many flavors as it does scents. The malty body is thick and chewy, full of candi sugars that are sweet without overloading the tastebuds. The candi sugars are followed by an array of dark fruity flavors: raisins, figs, dates. All of the flavors occur at once and never dominate each other. Truly an incredible beer.

M: The flavors are so intense that they almost overwhelm the senses. Every sip, especially as the ale warmed, was a pure treat.

D: The 10.2% abv is a whopper, as is the thickness of the taste. The abv is gonna limit you to one or two and the thickness is gonna fill you up quick. Absolutely drinkable and well worth the cost.

11-09-2006 02:17:04 | More by akorsak
BeerSingh

India

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Well, owe it all to Thijs (Brabander) for having had the nerve to ship it all the way to India.
What should I say ? That this one pours a beautiful, dark ivory colour with a beautiful and puffy tan coloured head ? Or should it needs to be described as a beer with unmatched complexity in taste ? Should I use adjectives like dark fruits, cherries and figs for the taste or maybe that the Westvleteren 12 is truly the nectar of the gods and goes down like honey ? I think I will leave it here, there are enough reviews on BA to give you an idea of how great the beer is, but it really needs to be had to do justice to its persona. It is incredible and desrves the reverence.
The monks don't think about us while making the beer, nor do we think about them while having it, but we miss them when we think about the Westvleteren. Worth the trouble and hype. Worth review No 100.

05-23-2010 09:54:15 | More by BeerSingh
tatterdash

Ontario (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

We went through hell to get this, fortunately it was worth the effort. Pours a dark cloudy red brown with a tan head that looks amazing, but doesn't look as amazing as I thought, still exceptional. Aroma was almost wine-like, with dark fruits and a strong breadiness, very good, but still not the best I have smelt. Taste is amazingly all over the map, sweet dark fruits first, malty middle, long hoppy finish, very, very complex, every sip was slightly different. Velvetty smooth mouthfeel, without a hint of alcohol. This beer is exceptional and definitely world-class, but I had one better than it so far. Next stop, the Dark Lord...

03-20-2005 18:26:19 | More by tatterdash
Proteus93

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Finally having the opportunity to take part in the 'earned hype.' I had been looking forward to this for a little while, and went about getting the temperature just right and so forth

A: A very dark brown pour, with a touch of ruby highlights. Surprisingly dark, moreso than I was expecting. A two finger head, pale tan / offwhite, nice and sticky, good retention. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the size of the head on here, especially considering the ABV.

S: A ton of dark fruit, sweet candi sugar scents, almost caramel like, too. A smoky, and woody quality, kinda oak like.

T: Sugary dark fruit... A very notable raisin, fig, and date flavour. A warm, alcohol flavour... A little sweet, a little tart, a little peppery/spicy. A nice earthiness, smokiness, leather and tobacco. A lot going on, and beautifully balanced. Certainly my favourite of the trappists, and a very fine abbey ale.

M: Big, rich, and round. A nice, fizzle of carbonation over the tongue, swirled through the mouth, and easing to soft and smooth on the finish, leaving the warmth and rich flavour on the finish.

D + Notes: An excellent beer, and unfortunate to only have one bottle. It drinks incredibly smooth and soft, with an excellent sense of satisfaction after a glass. It has certainly secured a place among the best of the best, and well worth seeking out to try. Almost frighteningly drinkable, and perhaps the closest thing to perfection that I have had the opportunity to taste.

05-11-2008 21:18:40 | More by Proteus93
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

A massive thanks to Goldorak for giving me this treasure, hand delivering it no less. Yer a gentleman and a prince Martin! Bottlecap is dated 06.04.07.

Pours out a deep, nearly opaque murky brown in appearance, thin, quick creamy tan head that disappears quickly.

Well then, the aroma is absolutely gorgeous, if this is as good as it gets, then I'm content. Rich, vinous dark dried fruit, brown sugar, light caramel, plum and candi sugar, mild alcohol warmth and spice.

Bready, nutty, some toffee in the malt up front, sweet sugary alcohol warmth, candy-like berry sweetness and vinous dark fruit. Finish is dry, sweet yet earthy, low alcohol warmth into the aftertaste, spicy with a Turkish Delight savoury sweetness. I had this at a 4.5 starting out, but really, near the end of the glass, this is some 5 star flavour as good as and greater than the sum of its parts.

Mouthfeel is the only slight against it, thin and a bit watery, very low carbonation with some light stickiness.

One of those few beers that lives up to its hype and delivers, certainly does not disappoint, I now know the exemplar to hold all other quads up to. Wow.... Once again thanks to Goldorak, how am I gonna follow this one up?

11-26-2009 03:58:54 | More by IronDjinn
joeysmokedporter

Maryland

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Served from a 33 cl bottle into a Westvleteren goblet.

A: pours brown with a grape, fig-like color, opaque; tightly-beaded head of a light tan color that gently settles into the beer and laces.

S: yeasty, fresh-baked bread, dark fruit/fig, very slight noble hop spiciness. Scores just shy of perfect because I have to work for it a little.

T: Starts with chocolate and quickly follows with lots of dark fruit, fig, plum, grape fruit flavor. Settles into a sweet caramel, molasses taste, ending with a bitterness mixed with noble hops and alcohol that lingers into the aftertaste, which is almost numbing.

M: very light, somewhat fluffy, effervescent. a little sticky, light but viscous.

D: Scores just shy of perfect as this is a strong sipper, Complexity in this beer is unmatched and the balance is better than any I have tried. It seems I get a little more of everything--the fruity, malty, yeasty flavors mixed with just a little hops at the end.

07-12-2008 01:30:08 | More by joeysmokedporter
jellycabbage

Germany

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Picked up a bottle at the Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam, along with the 8. They were serving them both across the street at Cafe Gollem, but with such a sought after beer, we couldn't have our first taste of the Westvleterens after knocking back a few other belgian treats. I enjoyed the 8 a few nights ago and have been looking forward to cracking open the 12.

Opened the bottle and had a whiff of of sweet carmel. Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. The beer is dark in color and has small bubbles making the head hardly noticeable. The beer is almost the color of Coca-Cola, and as I folded in one part Coca-Cola, the two beverages blended seamlessly, and I knew I would be in for a great treat.

Just kidding, I can't even imagine adding Coca-Cola to a sub-par kölsch, though that's what all the cool kids do here in Cologne.

This beer is extremely aromatic, sweet and complex. With such a strong sweet smell, I expected a much sweeter taste. Certainly a sweetness does run through your mouth, but it's mild and not at all overwhelming, perhaps tempered by its remarkable smoothness. After gulping down a sip, a dark toasted flavor lingers, which can be detected while the beer's still in your mouth, but really comes to the front in a nonetheless complex aftertaste. Not much of an alcohol warming feel with this one, but I really didn't miss it because of, again, the ridiculous smoothness.

This beer surpassed any expectations I had, high as they were. The discussions about the beer started strong, but in the end we were simply too distracted by the deliciousness of this beverage to talk. Finished it pretty quickly, as each tasted prompted another. Had there been another bottle in our refrigerator, I'm sure it would not be there this morning. It may be time to start planning that trip to visit the monks.

02-05-2008 08:19:03 | More by jellycabbage
M-Fox24

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I’m not a fan of hype for a couple of reasons: 1) Some will say they like a product simply because of the hype, 2) whereas others take great pleasure in finding every flaw in a “hyped up” product and exaggerating those flaws to the extreme. Nonetheless, hype is a trap and I hope I didn’t fall into myself:

Overly stated, but the complexity is great in this beer: Slight hop bitterness/bitterness, raisins, figs, prunes, cherries, grapes…dark fruit taste. I’ll also concur with the head and its ability to persevere. Very drinkable, and would recommend this to anyone a fan of Belgians. I would not recommend this to those who dabble outside of the IPA world on occasion

As a comparison, I love St. Bernardus 12, but I don’t know why there are those who compare the two together… unless there like me. That is, saw others were doing it, so you in turn do it yourself. My take is that these Belgians bring different things to the table, and although I love St. Bernardus 12 I would take Westy 12 over it any day.

12-25-2013 21:49:33 | More by M-Fox24
bgramer

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Many, many thanks to Barefootbrewer for the trade!

I had high expectations for this "holy grail" of beers and once I received this, I put it away and tried to think of when would be the perfect time to drink it. After a combination of my own impatience and some pestering from a couple friends, I decided to put the expectations and hype to the test.

I poured this into a Chimay goblet glass.

The appearance was a brown color with a powerful but thin tan head about one finger thick slowly dissipating to a frothy skim top. It was well carbonated but not overpowering and seemed to settle down after sitting for a while.

I smelled fruits, raisins, spiciness, and sweetness such as caramel and chocolate, and dare I say, nuts of some kind. The mouthfeel was malty and creamy, a bit smoother and not as thick as St Bernardus Abt 12 but that's a good different thing. There seemed to be a slightly dry bitter finish at the very end of each sip. Complexity at it's finest!

Really a solid wonderful beer, and it didn't disappoint.

03-02-2008 06:04:55 | More by bgramer
kojevergas

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I had the esteemed pleasure of having this beer on my trip to Belgium; first a one year old version at me mate's house in Ghent, then straight out of the bottle at the abbey when I picked up 48 bottles of blond, then a two year old version at me mate's house. While having the two year old, me mate brought out yet another bottle of the one year old so we could compare them. I figured aged beers were for snobby pretentious little bastards, but I was proven wrong upon tasting the difference betwixt the two. Touche. I didn't actually review the version straight from the abbey, but I've included my reviews of both the one year old and the two year old below. I know I'm a lucky bastard, for the record. Obviously, both were from the bottle, served into a proper Westy goblet. I tasted the aged versions in Ghent, but I don't recall the altitude there. Note the two year aged review is less specific because I knew I'd already reviewed the one year.

A(1yr): Two finger head of amazing cream and thickness. A dark black colour with an amber bottom. Very appealing. Excellent retention. I let the beer sit for a bit so that it would be the correct temperature; it was fetched from a refrigerator.

A(2yr): Two finger head of lovely cream and thickness. Dark amber colour.

Sm(1yr): Cream. Very subtle spices and esters. Esters are seemingly dominated by raspberry. Some nutty hops. Exquisitely subtle. Balanced. A light strength scent overall, but then me nose is broken.

Sm(2yr): Dark fruit. Cream. Hops. Complex.

T(1yr): Beautiful body of nut, spice, and especially tamed fruit, which bleeds - nay - allows itself into the finish. Perfectly balanced. Fruit hangs on the finish, joined by a symphony of cream. Cream is also present on the open. A perfect injection of bitterness is present just before the climax.

T(2yr): Dark fruit, hoppy body build. Amazing. Incredibly complex. Balanced perfectly. Built perfectly. Fuck me that's delightful.

Mf(1yr): Perfectly creamy, smooth, and wet yet dry. Teases an orgasm from the tongue. Amazing.

Mf(2yr): Silky. Soft and smooth. Amazing. Delicate and incredible.

Dr(1yr): I would down this repeatedly if given the chance and budget (and I did, at In Da Vrede). If you have a last meal, this ought to be a candidate for the drink. Makes you close your eyes to savour the taste. Believe the hype; this is the best beer I've had so far. The best retention I've ever seen.

Dr(2yr): Fecking brilliant-like. Hides its ABV absurdly well.

Note that the numeric review values correspond to the two year.

04-09-2011 19:14:47 | More by kojevergas
jrenihan

Ontario (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Best before on cap is 24.09.13.

Beer is brown with reddish hints. Minimal white head fades quick;y. Not as dark as I would have expected the beer to be.

Smell is excellent. Dark fruit (plum, red grapes, fig) and brown sugar. A complex and enveloping smell. A bit of alcohol is present, but only slightly. Gives the nose a bit of a sterness that is nice.

Taste is fantastic. Just like smell, but more. Again we have dark fruit, plum, fig, red grape and some brown sugar, with a somewhat dry finish. The beer has a lot of fruit in it, but is not juicy. Almost tastes like a rich syrup. A warming alcohol flavour runs alongside the other flavours, not overpowering but present.

Beer is full bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation that is perfect. Beer is active, but not irritating- very minute bubbles.

Overall, truly an excellent beer. Given the availability and price disparities, I would go for the Rochefort 10, but this is just wonderful. Glad I got to try it.

07-22-2011 00:10:23 | More by jrenihan
DPFRD

Arizona

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

11.2 oz poured into an Orval chalice.

A- Creamy, abundant, lacey head that has a hint of a brownish hue to it. Dark as night and can see some carbonation at the bottom if seen with light shone through it. This thing laces a glass like a 2 coat paint job.

S- Malty bread aromas mixed with a spicy hint aside yeasty estery aromas, dark fruits, and caramel.

T- Malty, with biting spiciness that opens into a complex array of caramel, white raisin, anise, clove and hints of brandy, listed in no particular order or relation. Very phenolic, but well masked, albeit hot. Has an herbal quality in the aftertaste accompanied by a lemon like bitterness that lingers in the mouth. The yeast dances around is present no matter what you focus in on, sweetly punctuating every sip.

M- Full, creamy but carbonated in a way that it breaks on your tongue like a way and dissolve into it. It leaves the mouth watering for more.

D- Wonderfully drinkable, but a serious brew. Very strong and dominating.

O- Second time I've had this, first time I had a whole bottle to myself. Hype has been lived up to and exceeded two times now. This is the real deal. Do what you can to get this.

02-18-2011 08:20:07 | More by DPFRD
ramseye4

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Ah, the Holy Grail. I acquired a bottle of this by mistake, and the guy said to keep it, and boy was I excited! On to the review.
Poured into a chalice. Pours a beautiful dark dark mahogany brown, with a two finger head that laces up the glass. Aroma is of figs, subtle spices, a bit of alcohol, some dark fruits. Taste is...wow. Incredibly complex, A lot of caramel, a bit of booze, figs, slightly bitter, gives a wonderful warming feeling on its way down. The malt backbone is spectacular, and a fruity aftertaste lingers around the lips. The mouthfeel is the best I have ever had. It slides around so smoothly, and the gentle carbonation pops all over the tongue, bringing out the taste. It is full bodied, and goes down incredibly easily for a beer of this ABV.

This is great, beyond question. It is the best beer I have had so far, but I think that there are a very very small percentage of better beers out there. But for now, long live the king!

11-29-2010 02:20:26 | More by ramseye4
SykDoc

Wisconsin

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Received this in trade from ZymasefungiI207I, much thanks. Had this with my wife and two of my best friends. Poured from a bottle into a tulip, it pours a moderate brown that is quite hazy and basically opaque. A light tan head forms and sticks around leaving a mild lacing. Carbonation is readily visible.

The aroma is where this begins to take off for me. Nice notes of grass and sweet malty, almost candy component. Complex and difficult to fully delineate, almost cotton candy-ish but very good.

The taste is a great mixture of spices, as well as a fruity sweetness that seems to be primarily grape. Very complex but tasty with a firm malty sweet backbone that seems to boost the spices. Alcohol is noticeable.

The mouthfeel is medium/full bodied. The sweetness goes down fairly smoothly and leaves a mild dry/bitterness at the finish. Just the right amount of carbonation.

This beer is very drinkable. The ABV actually makes it a bit dangerous but yum in every respect. Again, much thanks for the beer and I hope many people continue to enjoy.

02-07-2010 01:18:43 | More by SykDoc
joepais

Maine

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Well its time to crack this one open I won this particular bottle in a LIF hosted by Life is good major Karma goes her way. I figured this was the perfect time to celebrate this brew the last weekend of summer, the working mans weekend, and all truly life is good.

Bottle served slightly chilled in my favorite chalice. The pour produced a good two fingers worth of Brown head that goes to a great lace. The body was brown to a dark red in color

The nose has tons of Malts and dark fruits It is a little less Intense than expected But it may be just reality catching up to expectation. There was a hint of spice and alcohol as well as it warms.

Flavors of sweet dark fruits filled my mouth raisins figs and such. As it warms more of the alcohol is present in its bite but so does the spiciness in the flavor as well .Great mouthfeel and perfect carbonation for its style

For this holy grail of all brews this was a pleasure to drink, highly drinkable. The rarity of this brew aside. I do think it is close to a few of the other Belgian Quads I have tried St. Bernardus comes to mind. Don't get me wrong this brew was better balanced in the flavor department but I think if it comes down to it St. Bernardus is a close second.
Thanks again Life is good for sharing such a rare brew as well as another BA who will remain nameless for trading me one to put away for my son when he is legal age. Who knows I may even split it 60 /40 LOL

08-31-2008 22:28:15 | More by joepais
Wildman

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I finally got my hands on one of these, and at these prices, one is all I should have. This beer poured a very dark cloudy amber color and formed a light tan foamy head that disappeared quickly leaving some circular lace. An aroma of alcohol, raisins and yeast/grains. A flavor of malt, caramel and raisin with some elements of spices. The finish is creamy and a touch sweet with elements of the alcohol. A very great belgian beer, but will need to try some others to see if this is really the best out there.

01-25-2003 19:51:34 | More by Wildman
beerguy101

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Dark brown color. Medium head. Aroma is yeasty and sour with a touch of fruitiness. WOW. An amazingly complex and excellently made beer. Full bodied. Malts are bold and flavorful. Very complex. Seems to be a different taste/flavor aspect with every sip. Fruity with raisins, plums and cherries interplaying with vanilla, chocolate and orange peel. Hides the 10.2% alcohol very well. This is one beer that is definitely worthy of all the hype/accolades it has received. Very smooth and extremely complex. Excellent beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is slightly sweet. Beer # 1100 on my personal list. Thanks to herbjones for this one.

10-03-2003 04:09:18 | More by beerguy101
fiver29

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle pours dark brown with a white head. Has a brown sugar aroma to it with some malt undertones. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a lot of tiny bubbles for carbonation. I really like the feel of this beer. Taste is very complex. There is candi sugar, dark fruit, some sweet malt, and a small amount of hop spice. Alcohol is hidden very well. The blend of malt, hops, mouthfeel, and finish makes this a supreme beer. Truly world class.

08-21-2009 19:28:31 | More by fiver29
sk8man121

Maine

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle obtained in a trade with craytonic. Thanks man!

Also, my 35th review.

12 oz. bottle poured into Caracole tulip.

A: Pours a beautiful opaque-mahogany with a 3 finger mocha head that will not die; creamy head stays throughout the entire beer. I've never seen anything like this.

S: Fruit; this doesn't smell like beer at all. Fresh elderberry jam, black mission figs and a hint of heat. Quite possibly the most "delicious" smelling beer I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in front of.

T: Holy hell; it's all true. I think the closest thing I've ever had to this is St. Bernardus Abt. 12 in terms of flavor; sweet, fairly boozy, and heavy on the dark fruits. Caramel, brown sugar - this is just awesome.

M: Feels literally like silk on the tongue, with nice carbonation and a medium-thick viscosity.

D: I don't feel as if I'd be a proper BA if I was to give this a 5 for drinkability. Is it incredible? Yes, but it's also 10.2%, which of course means that it's quite sweet. Add to that the fact that drinking more than one of these is usually not an option for us state-siders, and it becomes clear that this is a rare treat more than anything else. Honestly, I wouldn't want it to be anything else.

Worth the hype; this will not be my last encounter with this beer. I will sleep well this evening.

Edit: Forgot to mention; gave my girlfriend the first sip. Her reaction?

"It's ok."

08-27-2010 23:43:58 | More by sk8man121
jt31914

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

A: 1 3/4 fingers of head; very dark brown.

S: Faint smell; slight pear/fig fruitiness and alcohol.

T: Awesome! Subtle yet full, hard to describe the unique taste. Chocolate w/fig flavors and a char/dry taste.

M/D: smooth and perfect, lives up to the hype.

03-29-2010 02:55:34 | More by jt31914
Beerisheaven

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

This is third time that I have had a Westy 12 and finally decided to review it.

Pulled one of the older vintages I have with best by date of March 2010 on the label. Although I have had this three times, I stil get a very special feeling when opening one.

Very interesting to read the reviews about the appearance of this beer. For the one I poured Sat night, it poured a chestnut brown with very little head being generated. These have been stored with great care; the other ones that I have sampled of fresher vintage produced a much greater head and lacing than this 3 year old sample.

S & T - What else can you add that has not already been said. I stil think this has a magnificent flavor profile. The three years have mellowed it some and made it a bit sweeter than I remember fresher vintages. Figs, prune, raison, and a delightfully sugary candy taste are all present. Truly an epic experience for your taste buds.

M - Maybe not as creamy as I remember the fresher versions. A little thinner than I remember but still delightful.

D - Here is where I think the 3 years has done well. No hints of booziness at all. Smooth as silk. Wonderul.

Stil a masterpiece. I have about 6 bottles of the gold still remaining. Another one won't come out until X-mas eve but I am looking forward to a couple of blondes (who isn't) this summer.

05-24-2010 22:40:48 | More by Beerisheaven