Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,933
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

Scott_McCool, Dec 23, 2012

ReeseMax3, Dec 23, 2012

Patrickbrusil, Dec 23, 2012
4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Ever meet one of those beer geeks that will wait in line for a limited release of something? That was me last week at Top Hops in New York. When I heard this was coming out, I wanted to finally give it a go and see what all the fuss was about. Seeing that I'm not getting to Belgium anytime soon, I figured this would be my only chance to ever have a review this. It was really cold and and I waited a while but thankfully, it was worth the effort I put into getting my hands on this. Whether it's the best beer on the planet is another question, but it's one that I don't mind attempting to answer!

I thought the pour to this was amazing, with a nice raisin hue, ruby edges, and a head that would rival that of any root beer float. The aroma was the weakest aspect of this beer as it was quite strong with currant and raisin, but not as overpowering as I expected it to be. Thankfully, the lacing was present on my pint glass and the mouthfeel was about as full and balanced as any Belgian beer I've ever had. The alcohol up front gave way to an increasing amount of dark fruit, sugar, apple, and molasses with the booze sticking around in the aftertaste. The back reminded me of amaretto and finished just as clean as a cordial. It almost reminded me of mead because of how smooth and silky this was while having a strong fermented taste and strong alcoholic characteristic to this, while having a natural sweetness.

This was strong and very aggressive but never did the alcohol drown out all of the flavors and nuances that this had to offer. While I don't regret waiting for hours in the freezing cold to get my hands on a "brick" of this, it fell just a hair short of all the hype given to this. Most of that had to do with the unavailability of this beer in North America but there's no doubt that I don't regret a minute of the wait or cost of this beer. It's not #1 in my book but with so many offerings available these days, this easily beats out 99% of what's on the shelf or on tap at the local brewery or brewpub. This was fabulous from start to finish and I don't care what the extra bottles I have would fetch via a trade - they're either going into my stomach or to people that I deeply care about. Great beers like this do not deserve to be pimped out, but savored for the good times around good people. Anything less would be a disservice.

JerzDevl2000, Dec 23, 2012

ILiveOffHops, Dec 22, 2012

Gatch, Dec 21, 2012

Jules11788, Dec 21, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Wonderful lacing on a dark brown and amber body.

S: Dark fruit and molasses

T: I got a very pruney and fig flavor from it.

M: Crisp at first, but very smooth and mellow on the back end.

Overall: I recently got to try Westvleteren 12 at a blind tasting of six different Quads. Surprisingly, Pannepot was my favorite - along with three other tasters. To its credit, Westvleteren 12 was my second favorite.

shawnsteadman, Dec 21, 2012

OneWildRover, Dec 21, 2012

Dank26, Dec 21, 2012

modidia, Dec 21, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -22.3%

A - pours with one and a half fingers of off white foam on top of a somewhat hazy, dark brown body. The head settles slowly and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S - Spicy yeast with notes of molasses, brown sugar, and a bit of a boozy note. Kind of rum like really.

T - A bit of dark fruit up front which is quickly washed away by toasty brown malt. Lots of burnt sugar and toast in the middle with a spicy finish of clove, licorice, and some tea like herbal bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a vey dry finish for such a strong beer.

D - Well, after years of wondering if I would ever have a chance to try this, here I am. You have to sort of expect that a beer with this much hype might fail, at least a little bit, to lie up to its reputation and as much as I hate to say it this is no exception. It is harshly toasty and kind of one dimensional, with a sickly sugary flavor that tastes like someone put too much sugar in their homebrew. It isn't as good as ABT 12 and its not even in the same building as Rochefort 10. I'm glad I only traded for one, I would guess this would fall off the top 100 rapidly if people could get it more easily.

nickfl, Dec 21, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -8.9%

A: single finger frothy with excellent lacing on a murky brown with amber hue body.

S: dark fruits, molasses, spices, belgian yeast, candy and brown sugar

T: caramel and toasted malt base, brown sugar, fruits including pear, fig, some plum and raisin. Belgian yeast with some spices, mostly cinnamon and nutmeg. Hint of chocolate and toffee arrive in the finish.

M: crisp up front, finishing smooth and dry. medium to full body and moderate to high carbonation. oily, coating the palate

Overall: A lot of hype around this one. It is certainly an excellent beer. I feel there are other Quads out their that are similar enough to this one without all of the recognition. Regardless it was great to be able to try this one.

kylehay2004, Dec 21, 2012