Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,932
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

Greggory, Dec 24, 2012

NateMac13, Dec 24, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Cola colored body with a bubbly beige head that stays around. Bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass with enough transparency to let some light through.

S- Dark dried fruit, raisins, cherries, Belgian yeast, banana, bread.

T- The backbone has a bread-like flavor to it with tons of yeast. Tons of sweet dried fruits, banana, a nutty flavor comes through too (hazelnut?). Tons of flavors, all working very well together, with almost no alcohol presence.

M- Very bubbly with high carbonation and full bodied. Crisp bite on the tongue, and has a slight seltzer like feel to it.

O- Lives up to the high rating. I feel like this one is different than the other top quads and separates itself with the complex flavors and minimal alcohol taste.

stephenjmoore, Dec 24, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black but not fully opaque, light ruby hue. Pours a one finger dense head. It is quite beautiful.

Aroma: Molasses, liquorice, medicinal characteristics and sweetness.

Taste: Dominated by rich and malty molasses. It's very sweet, with medicinal flavour and cough syrup stickiness. Warming alcohol all the way through. Like rich fruit cake.

Mouthfeel: Fairly heavy body, oily, rather light on the carbonation.

Overall: Well, I wouldn't miss the chance, even if it did cost me 19,5 EUR! This is from the new batch, released to make some extra profits for the monastery. I heard that there was a small batch at my local pub in Helsinki, Kuikka, and I had to try one before they run out. It's obviously a great beer, but I personally prefer Rochefort 10 -- this is just too sweet for me. It would go well with a rich chocolate dessert or fruit cake and it's fitting for Christmas time. Not worth the insane price tag though. I do feel that the praise for this beer is partly just due to the difficulty in obtaining it.

Arborescence, Dec 24, 2012

cowboy83, Dec 24, 2012

Listers, Dec 24, 2012

jdhasse, Dec 23, 2012

Scott_McCool, Dec 23, 2012

ReeseMax3, Dec 23, 2012

Patrickbrusil, Dec 23, 2012
4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Ever meet one of those beer geeks that will wait in line for a limited release of something? That was me last week at Top Hops in New York. When I heard this was coming out, I wanted to finally give it a go and see what all the fuss was about. Seeing that I'm not getting to Belgium anytime soon, I figured this would be my only chance to ever have a review this. It was really cold and and I waited a while but thankfully, it was worth the effort I put into getting my hands on this. Whether it's the best beer on the planet is another question, but it's one that I don't mind attempting to answer!

I thought the pour to this was amazing, with a nice raisin hue, ruby edges, and a head that would rival that of any root beer float. The aroma was the weakest aspect of this beer as it was quite strong with currant and raisin, but not as overpowering as I expected it to be. Thankfully, the lacing was present on my pint glass and the mouthfeel was about as full and balanced as any Belgian beer I've ever had. The alcohol up front gave way to an increasing amount of dark fruit, sugar, apple, and molasses with the booze sticking around in the aftertaste. The back reminded me of amaretto and finished just as clean as a cordial. It almost reminded me of mead because of how smooth and silky this was while having a strong fermented taste and strong alcoholic characteristic to this, while having a natural sweetness.

This was strong and very aggressive but never did the alcohol drown out all of the flavors and nuances that this had to offer. While I don't regret waiting for hours in the freezing cold to get my hands on a "brick" of this, it fell just a hair short of all the hype given to this. Most of that had to do with the unavailability of this beer in North America but there's no doubt that I don't regret a minute of the wait or cost of this beer. It's not #1 in my book but with so many offerings available these days, this easily beats out 99% of what's on the shelf or on tap at the local brewery or brewpub. This was fabulous from start to finish and I don't care what the extra bottles I have would fetch via a trade - they're either going into my stomach or to people that I deeply care about. Great beers like this do not deserve to be pimped out, but savored for the good times around good people. Anything less would be a disservice.

JerzDevl2000, Dec 23, 2012

ILiveOffHops, Dec 22, 2012

Gatch, Dec 21, 2012

Jules11788, Dec 21, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Wonderful lacing on a dark brown and amber body.

S: Dark fruit and molasses

T: I got a very pruney and fig flavor from it.

M: Crisp at first, but very smooth and mellow on the back end.

Overall: I recently got to try Westvleteren 12 at a blind tasting of six different Quads. Surprisingly, Pannepot was my favorite - along with three other tasters. To its credit, Westvleteren 12 was my second favorite.

shawnsteadman, Dec 21, 2012