Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,079
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +3%

4.75/5  rDev +3%

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

The infamous.

Pours a dark brown fig color with a one finger off white milk curd color head. The bubbles speak to you as they settle and pop. It's funny how much attention we give to appearance, aroma, and flavor. The sound of the bubbles mid-symphony in a quiet room transports me to the abbey where these monks brew this beer and I imagine how it must transform the atmosphere of there silent fortress.

The aroma tells a story of typical quad nuances. Milk chocolate, burnt fig, sweet date, and a hint of fresh tobacco. The flavor speaks of the same subject but with roller coaster flavor spikes and a semi-sweet yet balanced finish. The vinous notes play wonderfully with the dark malt spirit while the hops balance out the sweetness to create a marvelously crafted beer.

Dark bread, fig paste, vanilla bean, tart cherry, green tobacco with fire on its heels converging on smoke. Those are the prominent characters in this novel of creation via traditional yet soulfully transcending ways. A delightful voyage to say the least.

4.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz. bottle (Shelton Bros. import) poured into a chalice at a beer bar.

It has been a while since I last reviewed a beer on here, but since this has been one of my holy grails for many years, I figure I ought to review now that I've finally tried it.

Poured a dark brown color with minimal bubbly head. Aroma of dark malts, and the tiniest hint of fruit. Taste was similar, with perhaps even less fruits, but the sweetness was balanced, I thought. Nice, solid mouthfeel.

The first time I had St. Bernardus 12 (per my review here), I enjoyed it but didn't think it was great (it is a bit more dry and less fruity than Rochefort 10) - my like it it has grown very much over the years, and to be honest, I doubt that I could tell the difference between the two if I couldn't see the bottle. Until I manage to do a side-by-side of Westy 12 and Bernardus 12, I'll side with the assertions that these are effectively the same beer.

While an excellent beer, I have no interest in trying this again until I manage to visit the brewery. For the outrageous price of $40, I could have enjoyed the same experience with a bottle of St. Bernardus 12 six times over...

4.81/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a 4-ounce tasting glass

A: Light brown/ amber color with thick very light brown/ almost white foamy top.

S: Strong floral aromas with citrus and lemon; passionfruit, tropical fruit.

T: A complex flavor that starts with milk chocolate, then switches to a malty belgian white flavor with citrus, bitterness and a lemony sour finish. There is also a smokey flavor too. Finally, there is a peppery spice that permeates the entire taste.

M: Heavy-bodied, medium carbonation, medium-high acidity, not that bitter. Very smooth.

O: "The flavor of a quad without the cloying"; "complex flavor"; "fruity like a Belgian white, but the feel of a triple or a quad", there is a lot going on with this beer. The flavor starts with a creamy chocolate/ coffee and ends with a sour lemon bite. It was excellent. I enjoyed it tremendously.

4.1/5  rDev -11.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark amber color with a two finger head and a little lacing.

S: Dark fruits, apple, and a little alcohol.

T: Sweet dark fruits, nuts, yeast, and a touch of alcohol. Hides the alcohol pretty well for a 10.2% beer. Pretty damn easy to drink.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with good carbonation.

O: This is a pretty enjoyable beer. It's fairly complex, easy to drink, and it hides the alcohol well. I'm glad I got to try it, but I wouldn't put forth the effort to get another bottle. It's not one I'd wait in line for.