Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,969
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

WesM63, Jan 01, 2013
3.95/5  rDev -14.3%

After all the trouble and expense I went through to get my hands on one of the bricks sold on 121212 I have to wonder if the rating on this beer isn't inflated because people think its got to be better than it really is.

Its a good beer, but not super amazing. I am going to set a couple back and try them again in one year intervals to see if they improve, but at this point, given the price I wouldnt buy this beer again. I'm tempted to sell a couple to recoup my cost.

S- dried fruits a bit of alcohol. Same for tne flavor.
M- a bit thin and more carbonation than expected .

O- decent. I am glad I was able to get my hands on a sixer, but there are several better beers out there IMHO.

Hex92, Jan 01, 2013

Savearth, Jan 01, 2013
4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very murky horehound brown color with a thick, foamy caramel colored head. Dates, brown sugar, caramel, notes of maple, and very light bourbon without the alcohol on the nose. The moutfheel is medium- to full-bodied and lightly oily. A bit of carbonation on the rear of the tongue. Nutty up front, caramel apple appears shortly after. Alcohol warmth shows up late and lingers in the throat. Some alcohol bitterness appears as well. So much balance from start to finish in all aspects of the beer. The only drawback is the cutoff at the finish by the alcohol bitterness.

DocJitsu, Jan 01, 2013

KSather, Jan 01, 2013

splendidsplinter, Jan 01, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to jtd1969 for somehow finding this gem.

A - dark brown with a slight amber hue; huge, soft, thick, foamy, brownish head that has tremendous retention

S - alcohol, baked apples, sweet, sugary

T - baked apples, caramel, sugar, warming alcohol, raisins, figs, a bitter finish

M - warm, full bodied, crisp, well carbonated

I have to say that this did not live up to the hype for me. I think had this been fresh it would have been exceptional. As it stands it is a good beer, but certainly not perfect. The flavors did not all come together for me. They all seemed to be disjoint. The baked apples are the dominant flavor followed by caramel and sugar. The dark fruits come in the finish. Don't get me wrong. This is a tremendous beer and it is definitely worth trying if you can find it, but ultimately there are equally good Quads available that are much easier to find.

tdm168, Dec 31, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -6.1%

Had this on 2012-12-23 in Lititz, PA from the special brick released on 2012-12-12.

A - Ruby-brown with a 1-finger tan head and sticky lacing.

S - Glazed biscuit, dark cherry, semi-sweet cocoa, mild spice. Not real strong.

T - Somewhat tart cherry, sweet raisin, plum, earthy spice, good amount of roasted malt, light toffee, citrus. Quite dry. Finishes more bitter than I expected.

M - Medium body and quite a bit of carbonation. Smooth, syrupy,

O - A fine beer. We had this at our Christmas party and everyone enjoyed it; some more than others of course. After tastings of the (arguably) top four Belgian Quads, I would rate them in this order for my personal taste preference:

1 = Pannepot
2 = Westvleteren XII
3 = Rochefort 10
4 = St. Bernardus Abt 12.

Of interest, my wife would rate them in this order:

1 = St. Bernardus Abt 12
2 = Pannepot
3 = Westvleteren XII
4 = Rochefort 10

Quads aren't my favorite style, but I/we enjoyed everything about this beer and the others mentioned above. It was worth the drive to Maryland and the long wait in line to score, share and taste this well-regarded brew.

Tucquan, Dec 31, 2012

kaelingirl, Dec 31, 2012

tfsimpkins, Dec 31, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Westy 12 chalice

A- pours a dark brown with a good amount of reddish tint, a nice slightly off-white one finger head appears and slowly dissipates to a nice covering, fairly good amount of lace sticks to the glass

S- molasses, burnt sugar, dark fruits like figs and raisins, sweet candi sugar, slightly fruitiness from the belgian yeast, smells incredible

T- Burnt sugar, raisins, cherries, lightly bitter hop aftertaste which is surprising, dark malt, sugary sweetness is mixed in, fruity belgian yeast notes, a little bit of nutmeg, alcohol is fairly present

M- heavy body but not overly thick, high carbonation, slick over the palate

O- this is a very good quad, however I definitely think it could benefit from some aging which is why I'm glad I split my gift pack with a buddy and have two more bottles, I'd like to see the alcohol subside slightly, other than that a solid beer even if it is a little over-hyped in my opinion

nova009, Dec 31, 2012

jroberge1981, Dec 30, 2012

jmszafran, Dec 30, 2012

KingStephenR, Dec 30, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +3%

330ml brown bottle with pry-off cap. I like the ridge around the next that spells Westvleteren. Poured in it's own branded goblet. From one of the gift packs brought to North America this year. Purchased at Sherbrooke Liquor in Edmonton. Special thanks to my buddy Scott for the hook up!

Reddish-brown in colour and hazy. Beige head is 1/8 inch on the pour but recedes to a few islands and a ring around the outside. Spots of lace here and there.

Aroma is sweet, boozy and vinuous. Reminds me a little of wine or port. Dried fruit. Almost like a fruit cake.

Reminiscent of drinking champagne. Lots of tiny pin prick bubbles. Strong boozy kick in the pants right off the start. Hints of dried fruit, fruit cake. Fruit cake mixed with champagne.

Quite unlike anything I've had before. As much as the alcohol is very prevalent, it's not at all overpowering nor does it have that alcohol burn. Complex, subtle, sweet, tart, bubbly, boozy, smooth. The one thing that amazes me, is the mouthfeel. If I didn't know it was a beer, I'd swear it was a sparkling wine. I can't say it's the best beer I've ever had, or my favourite, but it's probably the most unique and pleasurable in it's own way. Not something I'd want to drink every day, but a rare treat.

Noxious26, Dec 30, 2012

runfoodrun, Dec 30, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

A. It has a very dark brown color, hazy with some bubbles coming up the side of the glass. It has an average foamy tan head with some lacing.

S. That is a beautiful smell. Dry fruit and sugar. Alcohol.

T. Holy shit, that is a magnificent beer. There's a nice hoppy bitterness underneath, a raisin and dark fruit taste. A bit of a brown sugar taste. Malty. So complex and flavorful.

M. Carbonated and tingly on the tongue. Medium bodied.

O. I don't think that I'm allowing the hype to sway me: This is just spectacular.

Amalak, Dec 29, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Reddish-brown hue with some yeasty modules. White head and lacing along the sides.

Aromas of brown sugar, cherries, basement, bread. Tart cherry really comes through.

A lot going on with the taste. Bread and brown sugar heavy up front which transitions to toffee and dark fruits. Spicy, bitter, and dry in the back end with some nice warming. Not overly hot and silky smooth.

The feel is extremely soft with some drying in the end. It's like diving into a pool of cool whip, being pulled out by angels, and the dried with a sherpa cloth.

What a wonderful treat brought back from Belgium by my sister and bro-in-law. Merry Christmas! Thoroughly enjoyed!

TCgoalie, Dec 29, 2012