Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,131
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

4.51/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz. bottle (Shelton Bros. import) poured into a chalice at a beer bar.

It has been a while since I last reviewed a beer on here, but since this has been one of my holy grails for many years, I figure I ought to review now that I've finally tried it.

Poured a dark brown color with minimal bubbly head. Aroma of dark malts, and the tiniest hint of fruit. Taste was similar, with perhaps even less fruits, but the sweetness was balanced, I thought. Nice, solid mouthfeel.

The first time I had St. Bernardus 12 (per my review here), I enjoyed it but didn't think it was great (it is a bit more dry and less fruity than Rochefort 10) - my like it it has grown very much over the years, and to be honest, I doubt that I could tell the difference between the two if I couldn't see the bottle. Until I manage to do a side-by-side of Westy 12 and Bernardus 12, I'll side with the assertions that these are effectively the same beer.

While an excellent beer, I have no interest in trying this again until I manage to visit the brewery. For the outrageous price of $40, I could have enjoyed the same experience with a bottle of St. Bernardus 12 six times over...

4.81/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a 4-ounce tasting glass

A: Light brown/ amber color with thick very light brown/ almost white foamy top.

S: Strong floral aromas with citrus and lemon; passionfruit, tropical fruit.

T: A complex flavor that starts with milk chocolate, then switches to a malty belgian white flavor with citrus, bitterness and a lemony sour finish. There is also a smokey flavor too. Finally, there is a peppery spice that permeates the entire taste.

M: Heavy-bodied, medium carbonation, medium-high acidity, not that bitter. Very smooth.

O: "The flavor of a quad without the cloying"; "complex flavor"; "fruity like a Belgian white, but the feel of a triple or a quad", there is a lot going on with this beer. The flavor starts with a creamy chocolate/ coffee and ends with a sour lemon bite. It was excellent. I enjoyed it tremendously.

4.1/5  rDev -10.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark amber color with a two finger head and a little lacing.

S: Dark fruits, apple, and a little alcohol.

T: Sweet dark fruits, nuts, yeast, and a touch of alcohol. Hides the alcohol pretty well for a 10.2% beer. Pretty damn easy to drink.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with good carbonation.

O: This is a pretty enjoyable beer. It's fairly complex, easy to drink, and it hides the alcohol well. I'm glad I got to try it, but I wouldn't put forth the effort to get another bottle. It's not one I'd wait in line for.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I just had this beer and i have to accept it's absolutely one of the best beers I ever tasted. Only the Sint Bernardus 12 seems to be close. The taste is very full and has a kind of wooden taste. The Westvleteren 8 is absolutely more fruity, but less exceptionnal.

I absolutely recommend the beer and the website that helped me to get the beer for a good price (even if i don't know if this is allowed in my review: http://westvleteren12.webs.com/ )

Enjoye

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Dark brown color with ruby-red hues in it. Tan, effervescent 1 inch head popped up with an aggressive amount of fizz. The head seemed a bit too watery for me. Basically, I expected more of a fluffy, sturdy head. The head is my one mark-down on appearance.

S- Spice notes, with vanilla, brown sugar and clove.Fairly phenolic. Very small notes of fig.Aroma isn't as bold as the taste, but it is consistent and nice.

T- Ok, here we have something special. Deep roast caramel malty flavors, brown sugar, vanilla, clove and allspice, burnt marshmallow,and dried fig are all present. Sweetness that is almost like a Dr. Pepper (in the best way possible). Aftertaste is dark dried cherries and a hint of vanilla. Warm hints of booze matched with strong phenols and a very dry finish make this one of the best tasting, most complex beers out there.

M- Fairly full-bodied, really nice.

O- This is a solid, solid, beer. I am very glad to have tried it, and the taste really is world class. Some of the subtleties of this beer just can't be found anywhere else. With that being said, I don't think I would constantly hunt this beer down or seek it out. Given another chance, I would love to drink it, but the money and effort are at the far end of my tolerance for acquiring beer, when something like St. Bernadaus 12 or Chimay 12 is readily available. With all of that said- I would still have to concur that this is the King of Belgian beer.

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%