Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 2,933
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros

grumpygerman, Dec 13, 2012

DaveONan, Dec 13, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

I was hesitant to pick up a sixer of these bad boys because I do not like the style. I am very glad I decided to.

A: This beer dishes out more head than Jenna Jameson. It sticks around for a while too and leaves some serious lacing around the glass. Color is dark amber.

S: Malty,Caramel, yeast, alcohol.

T: Malty but really sweet at all. Lots of caramel, plum, yeast, and alcohol. Flavors are very complex. Has an amazing dry bitter finish that really balances all the malt that punches you up front. The alcohol is present but very subdued for 10.2 percent... it provides a bridge for the flavors to linger on the palate long after it goes down.

M: Very full and rich yet not completely balanced. Really makes use of every taste bud.

O: I've only found a few beers I like in this style. This is my new favorite. In the words of THE GREAT DALSA... BOOOSH!

DNICE555, Dec 13, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +8%

Picked up my limited edition gift pack this morning. . .opened one bottle and poured into one of the Westy glasses supplied with the pack.

P: Poured a nice dark brown with a pretty good head.

S: Smell is unbelievable. Never opened a beer with such an intoxicating scent. Clearly a Belgian strong ale but much more complex.

T: Shockingly good. I'm. . .stunned.

M: Sublime. . .just keeps getting better the more I drink.

This beer is crazy good. I love trappist beers and have tried all of them. I regularly drink Rochfort and Beranardus and they don't come close. This beer is the only beer I've ever drank and immediately crowned it the best I've had.

jerehall, Dec 13, 2012

Massbmx, Dec 12, 2012
4.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle has a 'best by' date of 8-11-14. I think I have cellared it for about one year now.

A: Pours with a full frothy head that slowly settles down. Strong lacing. Color is deep amber. Well carbonated.

S: Malty, deep caramel, hay and alcohol

T: Taste is very malty, but not sweet. Lots of complex flavors. Caramel, plum, hay, yeast, alcohol. The taste is surprisingly dry. It has a long bitter aftertaste that dominates but is very pleasant. The taste is not overpowering but it dances on the tongue for a surprisingly long time.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated. The mix of flavors seems to stimulate the entire mouth (Yeh, I know that sounds funny but that is the effect).

O: A great beer that defines the style. Best beer in the world? I think it is unfair to compare styles but there are other beers that I prefer. Best beer in this style? Maybe, but I have not tried them all yet (but I am working on it). Either way, this is a great beer that is worth seeking out. I hope to try it on tap someday.

imscotty, Dec 12, 2012

griffiam03, Dec 12, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -24.1%

heffnate77, Dec 12, 2012

mocar, Dec 12, 2012

mrandypandy, Dec 12, 2012

mmikey8, Dec 12, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours deep amber with a frothy light tan almost off-white head that fades slowly. Sticky lacing

Dark fruits and spice. Warming alcohol. Rum soaked fruit cake. Grassy spicy hops. Rich and bready.

Super rich and fruity gives way to bready and toasty. Cinnamon and clove. Quite sweet but not unbalanced. Warming alcohol in the back. Raisins and dates. Allspice as well. Haven't had many beers quite this rich. Just a hint of spicy noble hops.

Extremely full mouthfeel but with a good amount of carbonation. Thick and sweet but not cloying. Pretty amazing.

Perhaps I'm falling for the hype, but it does seem more rich, flavorful, and has a fuller mouthfeel than Rochefort and St. Bernardus.

sjccmd, Dec 12, 2012

popery, Dec 11, 2012

tuckerlikesbeer, Dec 11, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -9.3%

Has a best before date on the cap of 2.11.14 - November 2, 2014. From tasting notes -

A - Poured this into my Rochefort chalice. Dark brownish and clear no haze

S - suddle hints of apple and dark fruits

T - very complex, you get cherries and figs, deliciously sweet but not overpowering

M - incredibly smooth with clean finish and suddle alcohol burn, minimal carbonation

O - a great beer worth trying. IMO it's a dulled down version of St Bernardus 12. The recipe for the St. Bernardus and Westy are the same, so if you can't get your hands on this one pick up a St. Bernardus and try that. I was lucky to bring one back from Belgium and it was very good. IMO the Westy is like the Bernardus little brother/cousin.

whitehouse50, Dec 11, 2012

I have visited the In De Vrede Cafe located right next door to the Westvleteren Monastery 4 times now and each time is a special treat. My good friend lives in Poperinge, a tiny town just south of the cafe and each time I visit we grab the bicycles and go for a beer. Absolutely delicious and the seclusion of the place is equally wonderful. Nestled in the middle of hops paradise.

A - Dark brown, carmel shades

S - Sweet, spiced, malty

T - The best part! Full, rich, deep spiced textures

M - Silky smooth

O - My absolute favorite for the combination of taste, story behind the beer, and rarity of drinking one.

Theshooster, Dec 10, 2012

marine1975, Dec 09, 2012

6thstreetbrewpub, Dec 09, 2012

tt0027, Dec 08, 2012

cfalovo97, Dec 08, 2012
4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

Shout out to Minnesota and the staff at Heritage Liquors for throwing a great party at "Beer geek Christmas"

A: a few seconds after popping the cap beer is overflowing from the bottle. I quickly pour into the snifter and it pours an opaque dark amber color with ample, pillowy beige head, easily two fingers high.

S: Mustiness with rich dark malty aroma. I sense a bit of sourness in there too.

T: Rich bready maltiness with typical belgian spiciness. Also getting some vanilla that has kind of melded itself to the alcohol. Its almost as if this was barrel aged.

M: Heavy carbonation with a modestly dry finish.

O: I am not a good judge of belgians as I have not had many but I enjoyed this. The belgian spiciness which tends to be off-putting to me is balanced quite nicely with rich maltiness and alcohol warmth.

Beerdregs, Dec 07, 2012

browniewithnuts, Dec 06, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

csiewert, Dec 05, 2012
4.6/5  rDev -0.2%

Smooth with a bit of a hops bite and no after taste. Very dark, muddy color. Had a hufe off-white head. Aroma was strong with peach, vanilla and caramel. The flavor had a hops bite that was tempered by vanilla, orange peel with a caramel finish. It gets seeter as you go through the glass.

Coomer, Dec 05, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

Sampled from a 330ml bottle acquired in a trade with deeblo. Cap date was "02.12.14".

High carbonation on initial pour. Brown with some light and apparent clarity. A beige head that lingers nicely. Aroma is raisins, figs, dates and brown sugar. Not strong but firm. Taste follows closely with an incredible depth of flavor. There's a lot to explore. With so much going on, it's still incredibly balanced and coordinated. There's very little sign of the 10+% alcohol other than a gentle warming feeling. The feel is very light and airy. It almost evaporates as it hits your mouth.

I really enjoyed this one. I look forward to seeing what some age can do for it.

GJ40, Dec 05, 2012