Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,029
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

(Yellow Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -9.3%

Procured this rare gem from bgramer in July (thanks Brendan) and shared with Thirstybird. 11.2 Oz. bottle dated 08.04.11 served in my Simon Pierce goblets. Poured a mahogany/cola color - some light penetration with ruby red highlight around the edges and tiny particles visible in solution. Incredible head retention unlike any brew I've ever had, with thick sheets of sticky lacing evident throughout the tasting. Nose was wine-like with some woody characteristics, spices and cherry-flavored cough medicine. Taste follows nose with a dry, oaky and spicy finish. Mouthfeel fell between light- and medium-bodied with a tingly effervescence from beginning to end. Hands down the best Quad I've ever had. So smooth and easy drinking with an abv that's undetectable. I was not at all let down by this incredible Trappist offering and really savored the changing qualities of the brew as it warmed.

4.28/5  rDev -7.2%

Getting ready to drink this in celebration of moving and the eagles actually not fing up and getting into and the championship. date says 7.7.09

Hazy dark brown with minimal head, but expected with such high alcohol content. some lacing on the side, but the beer is several years old as well. some yeast or proteins floating around on the bottom of the glass.

Smell is brown sugar, with notes of apple and pear. almost has the smell of a hard cider. Maybe a hint of oxidation in the nose. Very reminiscent of a barleywine.

Wow, taste is really quite layered with so many different flavors going on. Alcohol only hits the back of the throat towards the finish. Notes of apple, pear. Brown sugar taste is there too. Maybe even a taste of lemon. and some notes of bread.

mouthfeel is really there too. a gentle creaminess with adequate carbonation.

Overall a great beer, however with that being said i think rochefort 10 and st bernardus are definitely its equal. i might even have to rate the rochefort 10 higher than it. perhaps there is even a bit of disappointment for holding and coveting the beer so long, that it can never reach the expectations that you have set for it.

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

O.K., it's open... I'm scared.. I get one shot at this. Special thanks to Avalon68 for providing this in a trade. Cap says 08.08.10

I poured about 60% of the bottle into my snifter glass watching to leave the sediment in the bottom of the glass. About a finger of foamy off white head formed and then slowly receded into the brew... The beer was a deep dark ruby red/amber color... Held to the light you can see the clarity is very nice. It's just very dark so it appears more opaque. Not a classic lacing, but on the side of the snifter where I am drinking from is covered with clinging foam that stays put between sips... Perhaps as I make my way through the glass further I will see more.

The aroma is very deep and very inviting. Dark fruits, cherries, dates, tobacco and some real earthiness.

The flavor is really smooth... I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this is very nice. It's interesting in that it's fairly complex, yet also pretty consistent front to back.. Dark dates nice sweetness then to some deep malt flavors. No harsh grain nature.. just a smooth malt flavor... some subtle bitterness in the background that I believe is hiding the alcohol notes. If you really concentrate, they are there... but barely noticeable.

Silky smooth with the slightest tingle of carbonation. I literally grabbed this from my aging cellar and 52-55 degrees was perfect for this.

Really is supremely drinkable. There is the slightest presence of alcohol, but overall it's such a well hidden 10% it's almost scary.

I am honored to have tried this gem.. It won't rank as my favorite beer, but I can certainly see why it's so well respected...

4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to ygtbsm94 for the trade. Cap dated 24 05 09.

Pours a deep transparent brown with a moderately sized head. Lacing stays tight as the head falls, but it doesn't last terribly long. Looks very good.

Aroma is very nice. Dust, dark rum, sweet malt, bread, yeast, faint hops, and a bit of alcohol. It really smells like fresh baked bread. The slight alcohol aroma really adds to what else is present, and the beer wouldn't be the same without it. Slightly vinous.

Taste is wonderfully complex and evolves nicely. Brown sugar, sweet caramel, the perfect amount of balancing bitterness, and a long, long finish. Flavors change, and overall palate impression shifts back and forth between bitter hops and sweet malt, especially in the finish. Too complex to describe. Delicious. What all quads should strive for. Perfect level of sweetness and bitterness.

Mouthfeel is just perfect. Full, fat, and round, but elegant at the same time. Not overly thick or syrupy. Wine-like. Hard to explain. Carbonation is just right. Again, what all quads should strive for.

Even with all of its power, drinkability is great. I could sip on this all night... and day. I liked it a bit warmer than most quads, or about 60F.

Overall, yes, one of the best beers I have ever had. In a league of its own? No. Just damn good.

I'm very glad I had the chance to try this, and will jump on the opportunity if I have it again. Worth the trade and then some.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Entry 1/8/09: So this is what good beer tastes like. The date is a little confusing. Does any one know what 24.09.11 denotes? I have two more bottles, should I let these sit around a lot longer?
Also, I had it at room temperature (approx. 72F) then put it in the fridge a few days ago. I let it sit out for about 10 minutes before I opened it. Did I ruin anything in this process?

A- I poured it into a pint glass. The color is an awesome light but murky brown. Very thin head that remained throughout, and some lacing.

S- Sweet and hoppy.

T- Like it smells. A little too strong for my tastebuds, bud I can definitely get used to it.
The high ABV probably takes some getting used to.

M- A little dry, but again, I can get used to it.

O- I'm really looking forward to the other two. One is enough for now.

Entry 12/21/09: This is bottle two of three that my wife got for me last Christmas. The date on the cap reads, "24.09.11". I stored this in my pantry for the last year, and placed it in a cooler set at about 45 degrees for a couple of days. Poured into a tulip glass.

A= Once opened, the contents fizzed out. This caused the sediment to swirl throughout the glass as I poured it as quickly as possible. It looked as thick and chewy as was perceived in the mouthfeel.

S= Honey and raisin bread

T= Very balanced watery sweetness, hop tartness, and alcohol hotness.

M= Medium-heavy viscosity. Smooth aftertaste.

D= I wish I could say, "Keep 'em coming!", but at $20 a bottle I gotta save bottle number three.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer pours a dark brown with a slight white head with some lacing. The smell is of raisins, nuts and chocoalte. The taste has lots of raisin flavors along with a nice chololate malt flavor. This beer is very full of flavor, there is also a nice flavor of the yeast that blends very nicely with the big malt flavor. The mouthfeel is nice, but the carbonation level seems low. For a +10% abv beer this is incredibly drinkable.

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

200th review

Thanks to xpimptastikx for trading this to me.

Side by side with MiguelMandingo. Mine was 9 months old his was 3 years old.

For the longest time I figured this was just going to be a another over hyped beer that when I finally got to have it I would just be like meh. I will honestly say this has to be pretty much the best beer I have ever had and I would love to get more of it.

A - Very dark brown body with one finger of slightly off white head that leaves good lacing.

S - Raisins and toffee with some awesome floral notes, lots of lavender and some apple as well. Very solid and pleasant smell.

T - Just like the nose a solid mixture of raisins, toffee, lavender, apple, and other generic floral notes. Pick up a little bit of booze in the taste but nothing to bring down the taste just it can be noticed. Leather and tobacco notes in the back as well.

M - Silky smooth and creamy. Excellent medium body with the perfect mixture of medium carbonation. A beer has never felt so good in my mouth.

D - Easy to drink and super enjoyable. Even with the high ABV I would totally try to session this.

4.28/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer, no doubt. I'm not sure that everyone will find it the be all end of beverages, though. It has a average-nice head and lacing. It smells fine and drinks easily. But after all the trouble I went through to get hold of this stuff, I'm just not THAT blown away. Good stuff, no doubt. But the best in the world?

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

My soon to be brother in law brought back a few bottles of this from Amsterdam and invited me over for a surprise.

A - Split the bottle into two servings. Poured into chimay goblets. Very hazy, dark copper. Light tan headed retained well but not as thick as expected for style. Possibly due to splitting among two servings.

Smell - Very evident bread smell, like a fresh cooked raisin bread. There is a subdued alcohol smell. And then into fruits raisin and plum, very sweet fruit.

T - Perfection. It is so well balanced, one note blends into the next, I cant describe whats happening. It starts off with a bread pudding, then into sweet plum notes finishing off with just a hit of hops leaving me in a state of nirvana

M - Deceptive. I feel Like I could inhale the entire glass. But there is a full body and lots of carbonation.

O - Perfection. This is the most complex beer yet so perfectly balanced. The malt and hops are transformed into something completely unworldly.

I can now die a happy man.

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer was split between four of us and poured into small tumblers...I had extremely high expectations for this beer and they were definitely met. Beer poured a dark toffee color with a thick foamy head. It smelled of caramel, malt and flowers. I was a bit surprised by the complexity of the taste; I know that I cannot do it justice: very strong caramel and malt flavours, with a striking tone of ethanol. It had a flavor of dark bread and a light sweetness to it, but was not sticky. Very well done.

4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

given free reign over dirtylou's cellar fridge on this, my final day in madison, the legendary westy 12 catches my eye...

a: poured into my st. bernie chalice, maintains an attractive frothy beige coating over a date colored beer

s: soft and yeasty fruit profile with puree of date and raisin, delicate aged hops, flashes of milk chocolate as it warms, spicy ethanol, tantalizingly deep, rich, and refined all at once

m: gentle carbonation on the high side of medium, medium-full body, almost milky

t: smooth date-raisin-walnut compote over subtle milk chocolate that lingers long into the finish, aged hops contribute a papery flavor, fitting levels of booze

d: no issues here, very enjoyable but certainly a sipper

original scores: 45, 45, 45, 45, 4

acquired by dirtylou in amsterdam, consumed in madison

bottle from the Xmess 2012 stateside shipment, consumed 6/2013: Just a flawless example of the style. Gorgeous brune color with khaki head. Raisins, dates, papery aged hops, and delicately spicy yeast. Alcoholic warmth. Part of my pre-Belgium re-education. Flawless.

I got a 6 pack with 2 bottles of blonde, 8, and 12. When I final got it my expectations were unreasonably high. I tried a bottle of the blonde then the 8 and both beers were wonderful but did not meet my expectations. Then I tried the 12 and it was fantastic and made the whole pain in the ass of get it worth while. It is rich, very sweet, lightly carbonated and has a slightly thick mouth feel. I wish that it had a little more of a head and that they only used there nondescript bottles, the ones without the ring of glass that says trappist on it, but at the end of the day those are the only negative thing I can say about this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

This was my first beer off 2009, I had it at the stroke of midnight. It was sent to me by a friend in the states. I tried to keep an open mind and not get sucked into the previous hype about this beer, but was it ever justified. Poured dark and thick with an off white head in a Westy glass. Carbonation reminded me of the pricklyness of a Westmalle and the taste was roasted and sugary. What an incredible, complex beer. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for the hookup on this world class beer!

S - Heavy yeast aromas (bready), spicy phenols, alcohols, dark cherry, dark chocolate, plum. Hops are insignificant.

T - Bready flavors carrying through prominently. Medium-dry finish, very low level of bitterness. Minimal hop flavor. Rich and malty. Light notes of fruit - cherry/fig. Complex and rich. Delicious.

M - Medium-light bodied, well carbonated. Very smooth and deceptively light for strength.

D - Wow. The complexity of the malt and yeast character is unique and rich. The BJCP describes this style as "smooth and dangerous" and I'd have to agree. Deceptively easy to drink for 10.2% ABV. Makes me wish I were a monk. Almost...

Same procedure as the 8, a 330ml bottle at cellar temperature split between Westvleteren chalice glasses. The date printed clearly on the bottle is 13.08.11, which corresponds to a dramatic pickup on one of my last visits to Belgium. Being only 4 months old, I'll call this one relatively fresh.

5. A more vigorous head builds upon pouring - about 2.5cm after pouring half a bottle. The head is slightly more tan than the 8. The beer color is also darker brown, but with caramel-amber notes around the edges.

5. The smell is dramatically different than the 8. Much, much more rich fruity aromas with caramel undertones. I also get some cherries and pears. Amazing.

5. Wow - the debate is settled. They are different beers, but fresh Westvleteren 12 is better and much more complex than 2 year old Westvleteren 8. There is so much going on here, much of which I doubt I can identify. Again, figs and raisins; caramel and dark sugars. A hint of chocolate in the finish. Much more hops than in the 8 with a flowery sweet profile. The bitterness is there in the perfect amount to balance the powerful malts. The finish also carries yeasty notes that are hard to name with everything else that's going on. The flavor lasts for about 20-30 minutes after the last sip.

5. Very smooth and silky feel. The carbonation is incredibly soft, but present. My wife calls is velvety. This is a pinnacle and makes all other 5's I've given seem like 4.5's for the moment. There is an alcohol warmth on the palate which the breath carries if it's been a while since the last sip, but this is dominated with the complex flavors.

5. This beer is even easier to drink than the 8. I've sat at In de Vrede for hours enjoying this brew, entirely paralyzed from ordering the blond or the 8.

So, if the 8 is incredible, it's tough to conjure a a word for this beer. Definitely the best beer I've ever had. I wanted it to be hype the first time I went, but this beer has a way of surprising me with how good it is every time I drink it. One of the most transcendent of man's concoctions.

4.18/5  rDev -9.3%

A friend of mine gave me this beer when I visited him in France. As good as it was, I was not as enamored as most reviewers. First, the appearance was pedestrian--little head, no lace. Cloudy, brown color.

The smell is brown sugar, similar to candy. The flavor matches this except that there is notable hop. Not surprisingly, very strong warm alcohol flavor and feel. This is a thick beer with a low level of carbonation.

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

333 mL bottle, 19.09.10 date on cap

A: Pours a deep dark brownish almost purpled hued under a medium sized slightly off white head. Good retention and lace.

S: Instantly you are hit with a candied dark fruit, very sweet, vinous. Maybe a hint of toasted malt. Cherries, grapes, plums, ever so slight hint of chocolate and booze. Excellent.

T: Taste doesn't disappoint. Fruit is there again, bit of toasted malt, booze is present and a certain spice note. Sweet up front with very little bitterness in the finish. Chewy malt present up front as well. Slight nuttiness and maybe some chocolate in the end, too. Again, excellent.

M/D: Full bodied, but not too heavy. Carbonation is a bit prickly and this is really the only negative of the beer for me. Drinkability is excellent even for a big quad. Absolutely worth every ounce of praise that has been heaped upon it. Excellent beer.

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Ahh Westy 12, the holy grail of beers.
I was fortunate to have one of my new hires from Belgium bring me one of these back, I've been holding onto it for roughly almost 2 years. The date on the top of the cap says, 30.08.09

The beers pours beautifully with a steady viscosity. Deep murky walnut brown body gleams magnificently in the sunlight. Millions of gorgeous streams of carbonation flow effortlessly towards the top of the glass. Creating a spectacular head with incredible retention.

The aroma has a very assuring quality about it. Toffee sweetness, fringes of dark chocolate, roasted walnuts, pepper, caramel, dates, plums, tobacco and grapes. Strong and complex.

The complexity is mind blowing, layer upon layer of flavors working in sync with perfect harmony and balance. Right away you get blown away with a nice pleasant sweetness - succulent grapes, loads of anise, honey, raisins, plums, dates, fig, tobacco leaf, clove, toasted toffee, dextrin sweetness, carmalized sugar, rum, and black pepper.The dark fruits sweep the palate into utter bliss. Incredibly long lasting residual sugars/phenolics, that start out strong and gradually increase in intensity and tone down slowly. Full-bodied, with a drying and highly carbonated mouthfeel.

Well, what can I say? This is definitely a magical beer, the pure intensity and complexity of the flavors is insane. Best beer in the world? Maybe. One of the best in the world? Yes.

What can I add. This was the best beer I've ever had in absolutely every category. When enjoyed in its own glass, it's heaven. I sought this out in Belgium, and found it in Brugge. I brought a couple bottles home and enjoyed them with family for the holidays. Absolutely the best of the best.

4.75/5  rDev +3%

Seriously...what am I supposed to add here? For all its rarity, the Westy 12 has been very thoroughly reviewed.

So I'll keep it short. Given the expectations one has after reading all these reviews, I approached skeptically. Westy 12 delivered and then some. A genuinely beautiful beer. Find some and try it.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a barely translucent dark brown color with reddish hues and a full finger loose foamy light cream tan colored head that fades slowly. Spotty patterns of Belgian lacing in its wake. The smell is really nice...aggressive, earthy yeast, caramel, malty sweet and bready with a significant bourbon cherry vanilla tang. Light-Medium body and creamy, the mouth feel is adequately carbonated. Full flavored, the earthen caramel malt taste is livened up by a solid warming character with spicy side tones. I'm surprised at the significant presence of 10.2% ABV. I haven't experienced this much warming, in the chest, from a beverage in quite some time. It is a 'Quad' after all! Merry Christmas.

03.24.09 Second sample. Oddly enough...this experience has been significantly different from the first. The heat that i experienced the first time just wasn't there. This one was much more drinkable than the first..the flavor is phenomenal and the mouth is quite creamy.

Poured from a 33cl bottle into two small snifters. Extra special thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Last Christmas was Westy 8, this year it's Westy 12...what an awesome Christmas tradition!

Cap dated 19.09.10

A: Pours a deep, dark, and opaque cola-brown color with a luxuriously creamy light-tan head that retains forever and leaves sticky drapes of lace coating the inside of the glass.

S: Incredible aromas of caramel, raisin, dark chocolate, plum, grape, toffee, roasted nuts, and further complexities offered up by a fantastic pinch of booziness that develops in the nose.

T: HUGE flavors of caramel and/or molassas, dark chocolate, alcohol, rum raisin bread pudding, tootsie-roll, sweet over-ripe dark fruit, and a faint lemon/orange citrus flavor in the finish.

M: Smooth, creamy, very silk-like. Glides over the tongue and down the throat with nary a problem. A bit of pepper (From the booze? Or the hops?) adds a whole different dimension to this.

D: This absolutely lives up to the hype. It went down so smooth and easy it was scary! Wonderful.

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Courtesy of BeerRun 13...thanks for the opportunity.
11.2 oz bottle, yellow cap with best by date of 5/25/09, poured into snifter.

A: Pours a dark chestnut brown, yeast going into glass is obvious,but expected.Thin off white head, recedes quickly.

S: Very complex, nutty, bready, dark fruits (plum, red grape, raisin). Yeast contributes a spiciness to the the aroma as well.

T: Sweet maltiness, bready, caramel overtones, accompanied by dark fruit. Not as phenolic as I would have expected. Very little alcohol evident given it's strength. All this comes together like no other brew I've ever experieced.

M: Low carbonation but works in favor of this beer. Slightly viscous with a medium-full mouthfeel.

D: Dangerously drinkable even @ 10.2%. Not sure when I'll get another of this fantastic beer but hopefully sooner than later.

3.75/5  rDev -18.7%

Could I be possible that I had a bad bottle? Looks good with a murky brown color and quickly disappearing caramel head. Smells fantastic, sweet and fruity. Taste is heavy with fruits, figs, none of the "bread" taste I had had expected. Mouthfeel is thick. Drinkability suffers a bit because of the heaviness. I prefer the Bernardus and to a greater extent, the westy 8.

4.15/5  rDev -10%

33cl Bottle

I get to try this heavy hitter of Belgian brew courtesy of BitterBill, thanks a lot Bill! Westy twelve fills up my goblet to the halfway point with a murky rusty red liquid that has some viscosity and borders on the darkest of browns. I poured hard but could only conjure up a half finger beige head that quickly swirled to a small island of foam and a short collar. Surprisingly this small collar leaves behind some nice lacework down the glass.

The nose has a lot of depth and a solid amount of booziness. There's a ton of fruit jumping from the glass each time I stick my beak in there. Dates, plums, prune all come to mind along with brandy macerated raisins. There's even a spicy apricot flavor that I didn't at all expect. Musty, somewhat earthy notes lie deep in the background along with mild freshly baked pumpernickel bread. I'm really getting into the smell of this beer. The longer I smell the more I like.

This big quad seems to come across the palate a little muddled when compared to the nose but is still very good. Prunes and the brandy macerated raisins are the main culprits on the tongue with the figs and dates bringing up the rear. Bready notes litter the background and the spicy, musty yeast adds a nice touch of depth. There's a little too much alcohol on the swallow that seems to push some of the other flavors aside. I'm being picky with this brew, I know, but it really is very good.

I wasn't so sure of the mouthfeel of this beer when I first started drinking it. The body seemed a little on the thin side and the carbonation didn't have that snap that brings the frothy finish like others of the style. As this beer breathes the body falls nicely into place with a medium-full body and a slight stick. The alcohol fumes rise through the throat nicely.

As big as this beer is it goes down easily and is a joy at every sip. The lighter than expected body keeps this beer flowing without a problem.

This is a damn fine beer and one I would love to have more bottles of. I believe I enjoy St. Bernardus' version more so but this is the highest of quality. Thanks again for the treat Bill!