Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,166
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,236 | Reviews: 1,676
4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Well, owe it all to Thijs (Brabander) for having had the nerve to ship it all the way to India.
What should I say ? That this one pours a beautiful, dark ivory colour with a beautiful and puffy tan coloured head ? Or should it needs to be described as a beer with unmatched complexity in taste ? Should I use adjectives like dark fruits, cherries and figs for the taste or maybe that the Westvleteren 12 is truly the nectar of the gods and goes down like honey ? I think I will leave it here, there are enough reviews on BA to give you an idea of how great the beer is, but it really needs to be had to do justice to its persona. It is incredible and desrves the reverence.
The monks don't think about us while making the beer, nor do we think about them while having it, but we miss them when we think about the Westvleteren. Worth the trouble and hype. Worth review No 100.

4.76/5  rDev +3.3%

A: 1 3/4 fingers of head; very dark brown.

S: Faint smell; slight pear/fig fruitiness and alcohol.

T: Awesome! Subtle yet full, hard to describe the unique taste. Chocolate w/fig flavors and a char/dry taste.

M/D: smooth and perfect, lives up to the hype.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: A bit cloudy. Reddish brown. Solid head, frothy.

Aroma: Fruity. Sweet aroma, no hops detected in the nose. Slight funkyness is present.

Taste: Sweet carmel upfront. Great mouthfeel. Quick slighly bitter finish. The alcohol presence doesn't make a very strong impression in the mouth. Very nice flavors throughout the entire glass.

Notes: Excellent beer. A very nice solid beer. Super drinkable.

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

my 100th review! Date on cap (01.12.12)

poured into a tulip

A.

appearance is a brownish and dark ruby red color (when held up to light). A huge amount of very light khaki head...About 3 fingers worth that is very ice cream like. Insane amount of lacing on the glass as well, even to the very last sip.

S.

Lives up to the hype! Booze soaked dark fruits like figs, raisin, prunes, etc. A very sweet aroma like brown sugar and caramel. A little wine smell as well, like a good port. Absolutely fantastic.

T.

again. Fantastic. Where to start? Sweet sugars and dark fruits with a little booze. A little caramel apple in there. Such a complex beer. You also get some of that Belgian yeast, spice and a little bit of bitterness in there. There is so much going on with this beer. Each taste and smell is something different.

M.

medium bodied. huge amounts of carbonation. A little bit of bitterness and a dry finish, like a wine.

D.

Wish I could rate this a 5 but I can't. If it was easy to find, cheaper and a little lower ABV, I'd rate this a 5. Even with the high ABV, the booze is hidden really well. It is still there in the nose and taste, but not as strong as I thought. I will definitely be going out of my way to try and grab more of these. Definitely an A+ beer that lives up to the hype!

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Cap read 26.10.07.

Trappest Wesvleteren 12.
What can I say? I was seeking this beer ever since I first started reading reviews on this site. I figured, search for the best... then drink the rest. I was hoping that my taste buds would over time mature enough to taste this beer. Well, I don't know if the tastebuds are mature enough, but I just could not wait any longer.

Placed it in my fridge and when it was cold enough I took it and poured it into a goblet. Poured a dark ruby - brown, with a finger foam head that lingered slightly. The beer smelt sweet but nothing note worthy. Took a sip... Dark coffee taste hits immediately. But once again nothing note worthy. So I then let it sit.

GOOD MOVE. Once the beer started warming up, you could smell the aroma of sweet fruits and chocolate.

Also, I found that as the beer warmed, the more viscous it became. When cold, it was watery, but as it warmed it became more syryp like. Liquid butter. The taste was much different as well. It became much fruity with hints of chocolate and coffee. The finish was a slow alcohol burn that soothed the throat.

AHHH the smell I just can't get over the smell. I'm sniffing the damn bottle.

I find this to be the best beer I've ever had. PERIOD. Rochefort 10 is a good alternative if you cannot find this beer. Worth the money I paid for it. I still got one bottle. So tempted to drink.. MY PRECIOUS.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

3.75/5  rDev -18.7%

4.35/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.