Trappist Westvleteren Blonde - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren BlondeTrappist Westvleteren Blonde

(Green Cap)
Ratings: 765 | Reviews: 423
Reviews by ncbrewerbun:
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Another Christmas present from my daughter...along with the Westvleteren chalice that it was poured in.

The beer poured a light golden color; hazy with a nice inch and a half high white head that lasted well into the drinking experience when turning to lace.

Aroma was a fresh malt and spice along with some fruity esters -- pineapple. Malt came thorugh as bready and sweetness.

Flavor was nicely complex, with malt sweetness, peppery spices and fruit.

Medium light body with good carbonation.

A very nice and easy to drink beer. Having this beer so fresh is quite an experience and enhances all aspects.

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a Cantillon chalice from a bottle.

A: Poured one finger head, stayed firm but gradually diminished to just a thick coating of foam on the top of the beer. Lots of carbonation/steady bubbles.. Beautiful gold. One of the prettiest looking beers I've ever seen.

S: Mild, light, citrusy. More orange. Subtle. If there was such a thing as a "silky" scent, this would be it. Delicate and refreshing, but not as present as I would like.

T: Citrus fades from the scent. Light, wheat and very subtle hops with a slightly crisp finish. AT first taste, it's rather bland for what I expected, but definitely enjoyable. Incredibly drinkable beer. As I drink more, I'm starting to get more of a hang on the flavor profile. I swear there's some subtle Cantillon funk going on in here. My first thought was there was some carry over from the glass, but it's freshly washed and hasn't had Cantillon in it for weeks. Anyways, this funk flows into the wheat and a little herbal something at the end. This beer is hard to figure out. Complexity (and nothing else) reminds me of green Chartreuse. Lots going on. Like, a shit load. It's just very subtle. Next time I'm in Belgium I'm going to spend some serious time In de Verde figuring this one out.

M: Very smooth. Very silky. Liquid bliss.

O: Not what I expected. To be honest, I'm not sure what I expected. But I really liked it. Very complex in a subtle way. Throw your expectations to the wind and just role with it. Let the little monk beer do little monk beer things to your palette and enjoy the ride.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: a clear golden pour with a medium white head.

Smell: a mild nose with malty, hoppy and grassy notes.

Taste: a hoppy bitterness right off the bat. in fact, the hoppy and bitter characteristic was pefrect for me. i loved every sip of it! a bitter and a medium dry finish.

Mouthfeel: a very full beer that is lively throughout the glass. great mouthfeel

Drinkability: i loved this beer. much diffeetn then the other 2 Westys. this was the only blond i sampled but i just loved it.

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%

I seem to come across the other two Westys at least a couple times a year in the states but I have never seen the Blonde here so when I had the chance to go to Belgium, the Blonde came in very near the top of my list of 20 beers I must try while in country. It didn't disappoint. Bottle purchased at Beer Mania at the beginning of my trip. I must say that I was happy that I made that purchase because it turns out that the Blonde is almost as rare in Belgium as it is in America. The 8 and 12 can be found in most tourist trap liquor stores if you're willing to pay enough and they're pretty common in good beer bars too, but the Blonde...I only saw it sold at two or three places my entire trip and I was looking.

Though not quite a gusher, the bottle popped a bit when I removed the cap and the beer poured with a very healthy white head and large carbonation streams. The body was opaque golden straw, not the best looker but not terrible either - just very yeasty.

Aroma had a strong corn flake malt presence and contained some expected fruit notes of pear, honey-dew melon, lemon zest, star fruit, and honey and some surprisingly nice spicy hop character that smelled distinctly of white pepper and tobacco smoke. This smoke would come through in the finish of the flavor as well. The majority of the body tastes of fruity yeast - pear and apricot mostly and some sweet bready grain. Doughy feel from all the yeast sediment but the carbonation does add some levity. Certainly drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Clear golden color with an enormous ivory-colored rocky head. Good head retention and nice chunky lacings.

S: A fresh and balanced smell. Malts, wheat crackers, hints of grass, sweet Belgian yeast and mild herbal hop notes.

T: The taste is actually very full considering the style and level of ABV. Plenty of herbal and spicy notes of hops and yeast on top of a biscuity malts. Grass and some citric notes. It's rather sweet with some complementary bitterness. The finish is surprisingly bitter with a noticeable taste of sweet alcohol. Hints of phenols and white pepper. Refreshing and very easy to drink.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation. Somewhat oily texture.

D: A first class easygoing beer. Very flavorful considering the style and strength.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Opened 1 of my 4 bottles tonight. It was nicely chilled. I expected it to warm up after being open for 20+ minutes and evolve, but it didn't.

The most noticeable traits of this beer:

-very strong barnyard/stable smell. Smells like a horse's stable, no 2 ways around it. That doesn't really sell the beer, I know, but its a unique smell and it plays on your senses in an interesting manner. I would not say the smell is a bad smell. It is what it is.

-its taste can be best described as a trappist tasting beer without the darkness or high alcohol content (or sweetness) that you associate with trappist beer. Its an incredibly drinkable beer and its hops do the speaking for it. I wouldn't say that it has much complexity to it other than the distinct trappist taste to it.

Personally, I would put it in the same category as saissons, which I am not a huge lover of but I appreciate their crispness and drinkability. I would much rather have Westvleteren's other offerings over the Blonde and would go as far to say that other Belgian blondes offer more palate-wise than Westvleteren's did.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

33cl bottle dated 11.08.07

Appearance - Pours a hazy yellow, with a nice half inch head that lingered around. This beer has "legs"

Smell - Grassy, floral, and slight honey flavors.

Taste - Bready and grassy. Nice hop kick up front, with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and smooth, with the perfect balance of dryness and bitterness. Generous amount of carbonation, but doesn't detract from the drinkability.

Drinkability - If I lived near Westvleteren, this would be an ideal session beer. I love it.

1.73/5  rDev -59.3%

Review from Inaugural Issue of Beeradvocate Magazine.

The least sought-after of the Trappist Westvleteren beers. This bottle was purchased in 2003 at Café in de Vrede--which is across the street from the monastery--and has been cellared since. Poured into a silver-rimmed Westvleteren chalice, the beer pours a dirty blonde, tainted by a bit of chill haze. Head is very tight and creamy, settling to an eternal milky-colored, ringed lace. Surprisingly malty in the nose, with a unique honey-on-toast aroma, and undertones of toffee and grass. Palate is insanely creamy, with a light body and silky mouth feel. A quick and sharp citric acid enlivens things, fading into a soft rind character. Faint honey notes pull through a pale sweetness of malted milk. Finish is bone-dry, with a lingering wet, husky, tannin flavor, some medicinal phenols, and notes of wet paper oxidation coming forth as the beer warms.

After having a 3-year-old bottle, and a 25-year-old bottle a couple of years back, we don't recommend aging this beer at all. Everyone, please stop. It's obvious that much of the hop character has been muted, with oxidation taking over the beer and creating new and unwanted flavors. Drink it fresh, with its clean bitterness and thirst-quenching bliss intact.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

The Westvleteren Blonde comes in an unlabeled 33cl brown bottle with a date of 12.08.05 printed on the cap. It pours into my tulip glass a wonderful sunshine/goldenrod color with a creamy frothy two finger head that lingers with massive active carbonation. Very nice. Aromas of fruity sun dried grains with a lovely floral, spicy, herbal green hoppiness about it. Lots of light fruity character with hints of apple, lemon and orange. Hay with some earthy, peppery yeastiness coming across as well. An wonderful aroma to be had here.

First sip brings a nice fruity, sun washed grainy maltiness accentuated by a hint of clove and pepper and plenty of earthy yeast tones throughout. Mildly spicy, floral herbal hops poke in midway through each sip. Apple, lemon and light citrus tones with a touch of fresh baled hay. Finishes clean with a lingering fruitiness. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Goes down really smooth and refreshing. A delight on a nice sunny day like today. Truly a tasty blonde ale and one that I would imbibe much more often given the chance. One day I will get to Belgium and sample this at the source, that much is for certain. Ev, thanks again for giving me the chance to try this one!

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: brown bottle, no label, green cap. Poured into a proper Westvleteren chalice @ the Kulminator in Antwerp, BE.

Appearance: A rich, slightly chill-hazed, golden coloured beer with a creamy laced head, ample stick and stay.

Smell: Gentle, sweet, wet grass / hay aroma. Perfume-like and floral.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Wants, tries to be smooth and creamy upfront but turns coarse and a bit harsh. Bitter snap. Loads of hop flavour, from cheese to herbal, spicy to slick and oily. Notes of hay and grass mingle with the strong hop tannins. This is one crisp beer, with a dry grain (husk) finish. There is a malt backbone, albeit a light one, but overall this is a highly attenuated beer. More dry tannins and hop residuals ride out the finish, with hints of yeast.

Notes & Drinkability: Definiately one of my favourite Belgian beers. I simply can't get enough of this dry and bitter beer, which is not too typical of Belgian beers.

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%

Done in a vertical X-mas Day tasting as a special treat from my beerbud! Thanks to the BlitheringIdiot for the Westy 6,8, and 12 that we shared for a Christmas day celebration!

Bottle dated 12-08-05
Poured out a cloudy lemon yellow with a ton of yeasty chunks floating throughout. Very thick and creamy white head that was only a thin, but nice and consistant layer. Wonderful scents of saisons, belgian yeast, bananas, chardonnay, and spices. Dry and slightly bitter at the edges. Black unsweetened tea. The flavors get better with each sip. Good amount of carbination, but yet it is not too much. Bit of foaming up over your tongue, but nothing too extreme. The feel is just right for the style. Light feeling, it just flows through your mouth. Very easy drinker, but not one I would pick for a regular drinker -if it was one that was just normally sitting around here and there that is.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

33 cl slender brown bottle with a freshness date of 17.10.03 (Oct 17th 2003), no label. Just the cap denotes what brew this is

Appearance: A lace worthy of no other, cloaked within the glass it sits there and forces respect. Its pale colour shows a light haze but a very active carbonation.

Smell: Sweet grassy herbal aroma, hints of honey and faint tobacco come to mind.

Taste: Lightly coarse hop rakes across the tongue as well as some herbal phenols, fresh grain flows deep even into the eternal dryness. Bitterness and dryness are most of the traits but do not overwhelm, small burst of hop leaf flavour in the end.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly complexly layered smoothness, crispness need only to clean the palate for the next sip but goes even further by invigorating the taste buds as well. Moderate body.

Drinkability & Notes: This one is off the charts as far as a session brew for me, I simply could drink this all night. By far one of the best beers I have run into and would travel (and have) far for.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On first trip to Belgium in late 2010. A road trip from Bruges to the cafe next to the Monastery on a pilgrimage for the quadruple but lets start with the Blond first. Appearance is cloudy with a light foam. Looks like an unfiltered wheat. Aromas of wheat with an estery banana note. Taste is smooth with a nice balance of wheat and a hop end note. Mouthfeel is complex and rich for a low alcohol beer with a medium level of carbonation. Super drinkable beer.

4.51/5  rDev +6.1%

33cl bottle poured into a St. Bernardus chalice. Brought back from Brussels.

Pours a hazy bright yellow amber with a big beautiful pillowy white head thats full of craters and is very sticky. Nose is light, sweet, a bit fruity and bready.

Taste is right on target, it's a bit spicy and citrusy with some tart almost funky flavors to it, but they're fairly subtle, reminiscent of Orval. Mouthfeel is really light, crisp and super dry on the finish. Overall super well done, easy drinking beer. I'm glad I was finally able to try this fantastic beer!

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dark golden hued with good clarity. A fingernail of light brown head covers most of the top. I smell light malt with the faint hint of light candy sugar. The flavor is comprised of light candy sugar and delicate,light malt. There's a light spice note in the malt that is reminiscent of cardamom and a touch of clove but it is brief. The body is highly carbonated and bone dry.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2011)

Hazy, murky, though beautiful, golden light yellow with a thick, persistent, cloud-like white head that leaves sticky spots and rings of lacing down the glass. Gorgeous.

Simple though incredibly pleasant aroma of mild barnyard funk, fresh cut grass, dried straw, and earthy dirt notes. I love it.

Again, the flavor is simple, though classic. Grass, hay, mild musty funk and earth notes, with a bit of sweetness rounding things out. Complete and delicious.

Medium to full mouthfeel with moderate to high carbonation. Luscious, velvety, and remarkably drinkable.

Just about perfect. Where do they sell the kegs? This would be the ideal beer to have on tap in home. Get it done, DarthKostrizer!

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

So what does a twelve-euro beer taste like? Surely I paid a premium at Beer Mania in Brussels this summer when I picked up a bottle each of Westy Blonde plus an 8 and a 12, but what the hell? I may never get back there and there are no channels for purchasing it here in Boston that I know of, though the Publick House (Brookline, MA) teasingly lists it on their beer menu. ("We're out," the barkeep said with a slight smile on his face. "We're always out.").

It has been cellared ever since August, but I was advised (again tip o' the cap to Publick) to drink the Blonde sooner rather than later. Hopefully I haven't waited too long.

Pouring into a tulip, head came right up more quickly than I had expected and I had to put my mouth on the lip of the glass to stop overflow, but once it settled down, the color was light straw, almost a "light beer" (no offense) color but that is fine for the style, if I'm not mistaken. The lacing is dense down the sides of the tulip. Looks nice.

Absolute earthy bouquet with a strong lemony presence and almost iodine sharpness. So far, so good.

Hit with some sourness at first taste and some metallic notes. The metallic taste doesn't sit well with me. Hops show up to the party a bit late, but make up for tardiness by lingering a bit. Good body. Mouthfeel seems to push all the flavors into every corner of the ol' piehole.

I like this beer a lot, but more of a fan of darker Beglians. Still, I would seek this out if get the opportunity.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Poured into my chalice, this brew pours a murky straw colored yellow with a fluffy white capped head.

S: Typical notes from a BPA are present. The nose reveals a very musty natural aroma. Herbal spicy yeast notes round out the nose.

T: The flavor is light, fresh, and natural. Straw like barnyard tones. Hops are evident for a Belgium of this nature. There is a yummy underlying sweetness to this brew.

MF: Mouthfeel is nothing short of perfect. The carbonation is perfect, body fills your mouth, but maintains it's light refreshing qualities. The best of all the Belgium's I've had.

Overall, this is a great beer. An excellent table beer for this time of year, I just wish I had more. A huge thanks to my best friend Ryan for sherpa-ing this beer back to the USA!

2.05/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

de minste vd bieren van bij Westvleteren

4.08/5  rDev -4%

As most beer afficionados know... IF a beer glass is clean, there will be a foam ring layered for each drink you take from this glass or mug. If the mug is dirty, then it will not. As for the beer... I usually review wines, but for this special beer, I was utterly impressed from start to finsh. The ullage was great, and the brew poured with a distinctive thick head. Having not partaken of any ales or stronger brews in awhile, this jumped off my pallate like a springboard. The experience was one I will remember for some time. I ended up drinking three with a nice bratwurst. Worth the expense I paid having it shipped here from Belgium.

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wonderful brew. very floral nose, beautiful texture, quite smooth, with a biting bitterness towards the end, very dry. Exceptionally floral hoppyness towards the finish, with some notes of candy sugar, and some burnt malt surprisingly. This is perhaps the ultimate session ale (if it were cheap and readily available......if only!!!). Truly remarkable, and close to being my favourite from westvleteren.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

11.2oz. brown bottle, green cap - no label, poured into a tulip. Best before 13.12.08

A: Pours a very light apricot color with some chill hazy. A big 2 finger pearly white tight head forms after a gentle pour and has excellent retention. The head leaves nice lacing while it's up and continues with decent lacing once it dies.

S: Very fruity. Green apples and bananas play a big role with a pleasant coriander and clove background. Plenty of yeast and a touch of floral hops.

T/M: More of the green apples and bananas but the yeast plays a much larger role; peppery and tart. Some earthy hops add a nice freshness to everything and maybe a bit of enhancement to the yeast with a little spiciness. Body is nice and light and carbonation helps with that.

D: Tasty and extremely drinkable. One down, two to go.

4.64/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle at beer temple in Amsterdam to a chalice glass. Quarter inch of white lacing that dissipates in time. Golden color. Bits of carbonation hanging in the glass frothing hundred of stagnant bubbles. Slightly sweet honey smell. Other notes typical to Belgian blondes, floral. Taste is wheat slight honey, spicy finish. Moderate abv.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

This poured to a bright but solid gold with a medium head that slowly faded. Lace is somewhat minimal but looks nice.

The smell is very nice, bringing a nice combination of herbs and hops on top of a light malt base. The taste is crisp, and the hops definitely stick out. The mouthfeel is fairly full for the style, while drinkability is very good.

Reviewed from notes from 2008 visit to cafe or the source as they say. Going to add all beers I have tasted and have good notes on. and I hope this web/cloud saves them better than I have on paper so far.

A: I order 6 of these @ 1 time, for the gang as the first beer of many. Golden cloudy beer with a nice head of about 1.5 inches.
the lacing is excellent. Perfect.

S: I get cereal and malt, Flowery herb like hops notes, reminds me of Orval without the brett. Also Saison like but more hoppy.
Its very complex and I am getting more but lacks words to describe it, its sweet and good. Perfect.

T: ahh well I drank a good half of it in 1 pass. Heaven. Of course @ the source you get crazy emotion at times. anyway.
malty rich flavors, pale ale yeast mixed with fruit like esters.
Hops and malt perfect balance, so much to taste here, so little time to want to linger on it, I will get another is the thought.
Perfect.

M: Medium carbonation, and medium body. Dry finish. Perfect.

O: perfect beer what is there to say.

Trappist Westvleteren Blonde from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)