Trappist Westvleteren Blonde - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren BlondeTrappist Westvleteren Blonde

good

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002

(Green Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren Blonde Alström Bros

Reviewed from notes from 2008 visit to cafe or the source as they say. Going to add all beers I have tasted and have good notes on. and I hope this web/cloud saves them better than I have on paper so far.

A: I order 6 of these @ 1 time, for the gang as the first beer of many. Golden cloudy beer with a nice head of about 1.5 inches.
the lacing is excellent. Perfect.

S: I get cereal and malt, Flowery herb like hops notes, reminds me of Orval without the brett. Also Saison like but more hoppy.
Its very complex and I am getting more but lacks words to describe it, its sweet and good. Perfect.

T: ahh well I drank a good half of it in 1 pass. Heaven. Of course @ the source you get crazy emotion at times. anyway.
malty rich flavors, pale ale yeast mixed with fruit like esters.
Hops and malt perfect balance, so much to taste here, so little time to want to linger on it, I will get another is the thought.
Perfect.

M: Medium carbonation, and medium body. Dry finish. Perfect.

O: perfect beer what is there to say. (1,022 characters)

Westvleteren Blond

Appearance: Golden orange, medium pillowing head with very good lacing.

Smell: Citrus fruits, dates, raisins, and slight hop.

Taste: Floral hops, citrus fruits, dates, raisins, and some yeast.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth.

Overall:
Perfect balance. This is delicious and light feeling. It reminds me of a Mikkeller that was refined further. (363 characters)

Bought this in Belgium in a beer shop and poured it into a Westvleteren glassware

Aromatic cloves and very effervescent.

Taste was above average so much that my wife that does not like beer loved it.

Mouthful is one of the best. I tried the 8 also and both of them had great carbonation. Not rough like a Pils but very suble.

Great beer if you ever have the chance. Very enjoyable. (388 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

33cl bottle with the signature ring around the neck, green cap. Thanks to Alen for the trade. I was told this bottle recently came from the source in Belgium so it is a fresh sample, for what it's worth. Beautiful golden hue, slightly yeasty after the second pour, large sticky white head lasting a while. Smell is all soft honey and milk with a nice bit of yeasty bread and a good bit of dry herbal hop bouquet in there. This is phenomenal. Wow, I really didn't expect this to be so hoppy. I assumed it would be more "blonde" as the name implies but I guess I didn't notice that it was categorized as a Belgian Pale. While it does share an excellent crispness and pale malt with something like a blonde German lager, it also has a great dry, bitter, spicy and herbal hop profile. Really great and unexpected. So subtly complex but what makes this beer great is that it's just so simple and tasty. Delicious. Smooth, substantial, and crisp on the palate. Utterly quenching and refreshing. I will have to go to Belgium one day and drink many of these. One is not hardly enough. To quote my lady: "This beer is beyond awesome." (1,125 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16.2%

This little lowest-rated Westy ale turned out to be my favorite of the lot; 11.08.07 on the cap. Simple delicious beer. Poured a golden straw color, lightly hazy, not much of a head to speak of, but the carbonation's as light as a feather and provides a gentle spice, like mild champagne bubbles. Light, bready body and a mild hop bite, which falls off to a gently sweet, grainy aftertaste. Fresh mountain spring water is evident everywhere in this ale. Meticulously crafted, with perfect balance and brilliant restraint. Eminently drinkable and refreshing. This may be the ultimate Belgian session beer. The best example I've had of the style yet. Cheers! (656 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16.2%

super nice aroma. not glaringly rich and sweet like many of the BPAs I've had. nice head on top with sediment specks all throughout the head and glass. I guess it WAS a long ride, but I did give it a few days to settle. head simmers to just a fine layer. very nice and very beautiful on the pour. the sediment is very excusable considering its journey. mild hops in the taste. almost a pilsner kind of hoppiness to the taste, but otherwise pilsner-like. smooth and very refreshing, this is a wonderful brew. some green apple, some hay. reminiscent of a run through a field in Nebraska (I have never been anywhere near Nebraska- maybe it's all the movies?) my vocabulary isn't nearly as refined as some of these other reviewers, but this is very special. it's not overwhelmingly rich and sweet like some of the 'wannabe' American Belgians (or even some of the other Belgians) and they have just got this one simply right. the shipping was a bit extraordinary, but worth it considering I always wanted to try these brews. this would be the PERFECT lawnmower beer if it were available around the block!!! licking the yeasty sediment of the bottle it's very sweet! alright, I admit, I French licked the bottle. not to be gross but there is a huge amount of flavor on the inside of this bottle neck! mouthfeel is above medium in heaviness but feels really good and satisfies almost as if I had eaten a small meal. I may be starstruck due to the celebrity, but this gets very high ratings from me. if it were of the same difficulty in finding as Pliny, I would say this one would get my attention a little bit more. for awhile, at least.... (1,634 characters)

Green cap stamped 17.12.10

Served slightly cooler than cellar temp, around 45 degrees F, into a goblet.

The Westy blonde is a pale golden yellow color with great clarity. The head is really spectacular though, continuing to build long after I stop pouring. As it eventually settles, sticky sparkling lace lines the inside of the glass.

Aroma is mild but full of subtle character. Slightly floral with a little bit of spice and lemon. The yeast is probably the one thing that makes these Westvleteren beers so special.

The flavor is exceptional as well but that shouldn't come as any surprise. So light in body but so full of flavor. It's not strongly flavored but it has so much depth, just like it's big brothers. Lemon, grass, tropical fruit, mint, pepper, clove, yeast, etc. Just amazing.

Mouthfeel is light in body, like I said, but so full of flavor and so perfectly balanced. Carbonation is on point as well.

What a beer! Everything is how it should be. (965 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Thanks to juicestam for his round the world odyssey that led to this 3-way all Westy tasting.

Appearance - Frothy white head. Light golden body.

Nose: Honey and light dry malt. Candi sugar puts in an appearance. A wonderful aroma, so light, but so complex.

Taste: Amazing for the style. I was really taken aback at the depth and complexity of the flavors. Smooth, sweet honey. Lemon zest. Sweetness is present, but restrained. Mellow, but really complex. Why can't everyone make a blonde like this? Why can't I?

Mouthfeel: Slickly smooth, high carb.

Drinkability: Wow! Really top notch. Deceptively light, but plenty of flavor and body. If I could, but of course we can't, this would be a great everyday beach beer for me.

The monks know... (748 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Drank the day after a trip to the abbey to pick up 2 cases. Served in a St. Sixtus snifter.

A:Honey colored with yeast lingering on the bottom of the glass. What a beautiful darkish golden color. Lacing like I have never seen before. The head was about an inch, then it went down a bit.

S: The hops are very up front in the smell of this beer. Hints of herbal and pine scents.

T: First I get a yeasty, malty, peppery flavor, yet still dry, then it turns to hops. I really enjoy how the flavor changes from beginning to end. This is really something special.

M: smooth, crisp, not heavy, not light. Medium bodied beer overall.

D: Too bad I only have 2 cases of this. I could convert this to my every day beer. This is almost too drinkable. Will my cases last for more than a month? They better!

Worth the trip from Frankfurt AM to get this brew. Will go again in March to see if I can get any more from these great monks! (931 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Bought at Beer Temple in Brussels for 8 euros. Drunk on 10/25/11 at 11:30pm in Paris, France out of a Rochefort chalice for the glass's christening.

A - Light golden color. Slightly hazy. Short, creamy head.

S - Citrus, refreshing, subtle.

T - Imagine a salad of fresh hops with lemon drizzled over top. The citrus flavors grab your attention up front, but the hops are there. As the citrus fades, the hops come out and leave a wonderfully dry, hoppy aftertaste that isn't abrasively overdone like with most American IPAs. This is what I've been looking for all these years, but have never found with all the IPAs and BPAs I've had.

M - Smooth as a baby's bottom. Light, but not too. Great for any occasion.

O - What more can one say? Never had a better beer. American Pale Ales are either too sweet or too abrasively hopped - or not interesting enough. Belgians are too boozy or also too sweet. I don't like sweet things, so the citrus provides a perfect refreshing replacement for sugariness. I love hops, but have never had a beer this light, refreshing, and balanced with enough hoppiness. Drinking this made my eyes water like when I read a great poem or see one of my favorite paintings in person. I doubt I'll ever have another blonde this good. Well worth every penny. Overhyped due to its rarity? Of course. Deserving of its fame? You bet. (1,353 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottle.

I have noticed that Westvleteren beers seem to score, perhaps, a little higher than I would rate them. I was astonished, however, to see that this beer scored significantly lower than I would rate it.

This is the absolute gold standard in the Belgian Blonde. It does not offer anything that you have not had before, it just offers it at a higher quality.

I maintain that high alcohol beers are comparatively easier to make than low alcohol beers. At 5.8, this is a very low alcohol Belgian beer, but it has a fantastic nose, great mouthfeel, and the closest thing to a perfect flavor that I have had from a textbook blonde. For the style, I think that this is the best of the Westvleteren beers. It was by far the highlight of the trip to Sint Sixtus. (764 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Cloudy golden yellow. Thick white head. Malt aroma with lemon and white pepper. Lightly spiced (maybe coriander? maybe orange peel?) with sourness, and a slightly bitter finish. Nicely balanced and very complex. Start with this one before heading to the 12. A unique brew. (272 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a cloudy pale yellow with a dense white head that lasted the entire glass. Aroma- lots of citrus, grapefruit, dust, pine, and slight funk. Intense hallertauer(?) hop aroma. Taste- Light to medium body with HUGE funk and citrusy fruits. Finish - beautiful hop bitterness, crisp, clean, dry and wonderful funk on the back of the tongue. A nearly flawless beer. (364 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

This is my birthday present to me. 12/22.
Pours out a beautiful cloudy straw color with one full finger of white suds. The last few drops turned the white suds a pale yellow where they fell. Nice malty suds that stay in the Westy chalice for a very long time.
Smell is clove and cinnamon and a sweet yeast that almost burns the back of the nose. The grassy smell is here. (never smelled that before). I guess that's the hops but I have not sampled that aroma before.
I am glad I had a glass of 2 below before I had this. This is so much more complex. Sugar and wheat and straw and caramel.
These hops are incredible. So sweet and dark.
BTW lacing is incredible here.
Mouthfeel is wonderful with so much going on. The maltyness and the black bitterness that just barely comes to the front then dissapears back into the sugary fruitiness.
If I were a rich man then this would be my session beer.
25 bucks a bottle though is a bit high. I have tried it! (958 characters)

Date on cap 11/08/07

Poured an appealing golden color into a goblet. About a 1/4" head that lasted for quite a while.

Smelled of yeast, bananas, and kind of grassy. Smell is extremely inviting.

First taste hit me with a light sourness like white grapes. Lightly spiced. Does not taste like an alcoholic drink at all. Hardly any bitterness at all, mostly sweet tastes.

Mouthfeel on lighter side and no annoying overcarbonation.

Unbelievable drinkability. This beer actually quenches thirst. If this was readily available I would have no use for drinking water anymore. Absolute favorite of this style. (616 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

No label, just the famous green cap. Pours a hazy yellow like any blonde with little head. Smells strongly of hops. The initial taste on the tongue is definitely very hoppy, almost like an american Pale Ale. It lingers for a long time. The more and more sips you have it begins to loose its hop and starts to evolve into more of a traditional blonde flavor. (357 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Huge thanks to isubsmith for hooking up his fellow Rochester BAs with this rare beer. The color is a clear shinny blonde. The head is a firm white cap of foam, that recedes slowly leaving wonderful lacing all over the glass. The aroma is yeast, leathery, breay, and barnyard funky. The taste is like the aroma, but more in depth. There is a nice mild sourness that reminds me a lot of Orval but with a more malty tone. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a silky texture, and lively, fine carbonation. Overall, this is a great Belgian Pale Ale. I would love for this beer to be a regular in my drinking rotation. (612 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Slightly murky golden hue with immense creamy head and silky lacing.

Spice (coriander/citrus) and malt aroma with notes of tobacco and leather. I also get hints of black pepper and fresh green chilies in the aroma.

Hoppy grapefruit bitterness that is not overwhelming but balances the flavor and fades into a nice malt and spice background.

This bottle is from Belgium Shop and seems to be "young". It is a great beer now and I only see it getting better. (458 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from the green-capped bottle into a chalice. A clean orange color with a white frothy head. The aroma on this beer is outstanding. Lots of apple, pear, and sweet alcohol aromas dance together up to my nose. The flavor is outstanding as well. It is malty, bready, and sweet all the time. There are a few light fruit flavors noticable in the beer. I can't pin down exactly what kind of fruit, but I think there is some pear and a touch of orangy citrus. This beer very clean on the palate and I could drink it all day if I could find that kind of supply.

Notes: I had been wanting to try the Westvleteren 12, 8, and Blonde for a long time. I had all three on the same day and the Blonde is by far my favorite of the 3 despite the hype around the Westvleteren 12. (771 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Perfect head and lace down my Westvleteren chalice. An angelic golden haze.

Smell: Sweet Grass, honey, tobacco, pear, honey suckle, golden apples. Amazing zesty (but mellow) yeast funky spice. Some quality grain aromas, pepper, ginger, everything!

Taste: The perfectly hopped beer. Amazing, cloying complexity. There is so, so much going on. All the smells plus fresh cookie dough.

Mouthfeel: Perfect; fills the mouth and hangs, tempting another sip. The zippy carbonation is perfect as well.

Drinkability: Ultimate session beer, and an amazing beer. Great fermentation character. A great argument for becoming a monk! (634 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

My 500th review, Review from notes as I drank and took review notes on this beer 6 9 09 after flying to Brussels and renting a car, driving straight to Westvleteren specifically to try this and all three of the available Westvleteren beers. Poured by the bartender at In De Vrede in the shadow of St. Sixtus, Westvleteren, the only "bar" where you can honestly buy this stuff. It was poured from the bottle into a silver rimmed Westvleteren goblet (just like mine back home). I think that it was 4 Euros or about 6 USD.

A Cloudy yellow body under an enormous white fluffy head that sticks around for a while, about 5 minutes. The head, in fact, lasted throughout my repeated sips. Great look. How can it be improved? 5.0

S Nice citrus softness, some malt and nearly no hops to my nose. Really inviting and my memory of the other Westvleteren beers made smelling it (and not simply drinking it) difficult indeed. 4.5

T Smooth citrus (lemon mostly) malt dominate as the hops are in the background. This is the essential blonde in my mind. 5.0

M The most distinctive aspect of this beer as it is ultimately soooo smoooth. It reminds me of the feel of silk in its smoothness. I don't know if it is from the correct carbonation or other factors but the feel cannot be improved. 5.0

D Great, especially with its manageable ABV. 5.0

Notes: Of course I looked forward to having this beer (I was able to purchase 12 and 8 online but this one was "not available" at the time of my purchase) at, or near the brewery but to actually try it was sublime. As I repeated my sips I thought to myself that God himself must have had a hand in the decisions that went into these beers as they are divine. I strongly believe that the Blonde is underrated. (1,740 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: Pours a beaming straw-colored body with a bright white, head.

Smell: Aroma is chock full of vibrant fruity esters as well as some faintly grassy, citrus notes.

Taste: Skillfully crafted, this beer is rich and full of flavor. Initial tartness gives way to a light malty, slightly bready sweetness. Also there is the pronounced taste of peaches and oranges - like an albariño, but with a more pronounced, sharper carbonation. Finishes dry with just a touch of spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and is quite crisp, marked by a constant, but fine champange-like carbonation.

Drinkability: Outstanding. This beer is the greatest invention since wood. (672 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Consumed and documented around a 2 months back. A huge thanks to Kevin for granting me such a privilege.

A - Cloudy golden yellow. A nice pale head. Near perfect for a blonde.

S - Warm earthy lemon/citrus zest followed by some notes yeast. The best blonde my nose has ever had the pleasure to smell.

T - Absolutely appeasing. Light and crisp as it hits the palette and progresses with a soft, sweet bready malt. As the beer recedes it leaves a crisp sensation.

M - Very light body, which alongside the bready malts makes it extraordinarily drinkable. Overall, an ideal body for a blonde.

O - Simply, this is the best blonde I have ever had. If you can get your hands on one, properly store and enjoy at the appropriate temperature. (737 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Bought at a bottle shop in Brussels in May. Wish I had bought more than one.

Gorgeous foam and lacing, excellent head retention.

Smells of brett and some other funk. Lots of different fruit and spice flavours, but hard to distinguish specifics. Nice hop presence - grassy and floral. Dry. Lingering bitterness.

Lots of flavor for only 5.8%

The only thing wrong with this beer is it's small size and lack of availability!

Def. worth seeking out. I think I prefer this to the Quad. (484 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a hazy blonde with a myriad of microscopic bubbles clinging to the sides of the chalice & eventually working their way up to join the dense, rocky head that sits atop. Smells of apricot and peaches with a hint of banana. Even too cold (which this is because I'm too impatient to wait it to warm from fridge temp), the aroma is warm and inviting. The head settles down to a thin, though still persistent, lace which clings to the sides of the glass. The taste...fruit followed by an earthy undertone from the yeast, with a hint of a metallic aftertaste that is just enough to counterbalance the initial sweetness. Suprisingly dry finish given the fruit upfront. Mouthfeel is silky and just a whisper too thin if I'm splitting hairs. Drinkability is only limited by the rareness of this gem. I've had their other two current offerings and would rate this the lowest of the three but that's like trying to select a date from Selma Hayak her other two triplet sisters. If you can try this beer, do so. (1,003 characters)

Trappist Westvleteren Blonde from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)