Trappist Westvleteren Blonde - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren BlondeTrappist Westvleteren Blonde

good

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Green Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren Blonde Alström Bros
objectivemonkey

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

At approximately 10:56 A.M., Central Standard Time, a box was received at my place of employment, holding several bottles of malted beverage, but most notably these: Westvleteren Blonde, Westvleteren 8, and Westvleteren 12. Containing my giddiness, I waited until the afternoon commute home for dismantling the package, freeing the contents inside. Could I wait to get home, you say? Nay, a stop at the car wash was all the time I needed to complete my quest.

As I pull into the wash, letting my corporeal self float through a tunnel of cleansing, my ethereal self ventured into the unknown. What is this Westvleteren? What does it mean to Westvleteren? How does one... Westvleteren. I would know in scant few seconds. I open the box, marvel at the packing job... and to my horror, pick up a faint whiff of stale caramels, days old dried oranges... dear God, what injustice has been done?!?! As I tear through the bubble wrap, peering frantically through miles of semitransparent plastics and vagary, I find three identical bubbles of safety, yet I know what horrors await me. I open one, the 12, all is safe. I open the other, the 8, and I'm starting to breath easier. I move to the Blonde, the only one to still elude me thus far, and to my dismay, I begin to see bubbles not of plastic, but of shame and disgrace, of liquid. What blasphemy has been done?!?

Dejected, I travel home. Into the kitchen the box is placed, for the final scene of this tragedy to unfold. Not unlike a loved one wrapping the final shrouds of cloth over one's deceased partner, I gingerly unfold layer after layer of covering, the protective sheath gone in vain.

Yet, what is this? The bottle, and cap, still intact. And while the wrapping is wet, there is little liquid to be found. Dear Lord, could it be?! In haste I reach for the bottle opener, wrench off the cap, and hear the most joyous sounds known to all humanity!! Carbonation! Air!! Life!!! Beer!!! I carefully pour the golden elixir into my glass, smell, and put it to my lips. And as the golden panacea flows through me, I stop and thank the Gods of Beerdom, for they have been merciful upon me!!

That said, the Blonde is a lovely brew, nice white head and golden body, lacing down the glass, an aroma of orange and lemon zest and spices and beauty. The taste, while on the subdued side, is much better than I've been lead to believe. Wheat grass hops and a lovely zesty lemon orange citrus give it a wit-like feel to it, very nice, very smooth, slightly zesty carbonation even still, this is easily the most drinkable beer I've had in at least month... I lose track quickly.

02-12-2007 22:58:02 | More by objectivemonkey
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to chadspivey for the bottle. Dated best by 11/8/07. I drank this a few months ago, this review is copied word for word from notes.

Pour is very lively, huge head quickly recedes some, but maintains. Earthy, spicy hoppy aroma.

Taste lets me down slightly, but only slightly. Spicy, herbal, and slightly floral are the hops. The malt seems a little restrained, but it combines with the yeast to create a fruitiness that complements the rest of the beer. Mouthfeel is perfect. Full, creamy, and lively from the smooth carbonation. I would drink this all day,everyday, if I could.

02-10-2007 23:12:05 | More by Sephiroth
HardTarget

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle Inspection: No label (as God intended) but plenty of info on the green cap. 5.8% abv. and a date of 17.06.07 (enjoyed 03.02.07).

Aroma: Light Belgian yeast, melon, white wine or champagne. Some pear notes as it warmed a bit.

Appearance: Golden apricot glass, very hazy with a firm cap of bright white that left loops and sheets of lace.

Flavor: The white wine flavor is firm, the fruits are a bit phenolic, and there is a mild leafy hop in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body, rich carbonation and a creamy texture.

Overall Impression: Total package is very light and refreshing. Quenching even. A world class beer that it is impossible to be objective about. Hand carried this bottle back from Café In De Vrede, again, as God intended.
My 700th review on BA.

02-06-2007 08:28:38 | More by HardTarget
Alkey

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from the bottle to my snifter a cloudy light orange color with a white fluffy head that leaves some nice lace around the glass. Some faint smell of spice and malt in the aroma. Taste is mostly pale flavors of spice, malt, and yeast. that leaves a somewhat sticky after taste. This is a light bodied and well carbonated brew with subtle flavors that make it easy to drink but a little to pale for my taste.

01-29-2007 21:09:27 | More by Alkey
cjgator3

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Green cap with the best before date of 11.08.07 printed on the cap. Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a slightly hazy orangish yellow color with a large creamy white sticky head. Beautiful aroma consisting of a sweet grassy perfume-like aroma, faint citrus and must, and a bit of spice. The taste features a nice slightly spicy hop profile that finishes extremely dry and crisp. Mouthfeel is light bodied and smooth but seems to be under-carbonated. Overall, this is another stellar brew from Westvleteren and one that I could certainly drink all night long if it wasn't for it's rareness.

01-25-2007 03:22:38 | More by cjgator3
jeffaz02t

Arizona

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Drank the day after a trip to the abbey to pick up 2 cases. Served in a St. Sixtus snifter.

A:Honey colored with yeast lingering on the bottom of the glass. What a beautiful darkish golden color. Lacing like I have never seen before. The head was about an inch, then it went down a bit.

S: The hops are very up front in the smell of this beer. Hints of herbal and pine scents.

T: First I get a yeasty, malty, peppery flavor, yet still dry, then it turns to hops. I really enjoy how the flavor changes from beginning to end. This is really something special.

M: smooth, crisp, not heavy, not light. Medium bodied beer overall.

D: Too bad I only have 2 cases of this. I could convert this to my every day beer. This is almost too drinkable. Will my cases last for more than a month? They better!

Worth the trip from Frankfurt AM to get this brew. Will go again in March to see if I can get any more from these great monks!

01-15-2007 14:30:16 | More by jeffaz02t
ncbrewerbun

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Another Christmas present from my daughter...along with the Westvleteren chalice that it was poured in.

The beer poured a light golden color; hazy with a nice inch and a half high white head that lasted well into the drinking experience when turning to lace.

Aroma was a fresh malt and spice along with some fruity esters -- pineapple. Malt came thorugh as bready and sweetness.

Flavor was nicely complex, with malt sweetness, peppery spices and fruit.

Medium light body with good carbonation.

A very nice and easy to drink beer. Having this beer so fresh is quite an experience and enhances all aspects.

12-27-2006 19:40:45 | More by ncbrewerbun
leftmindedrighty

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

I received a whole crate of Westvleteren for Christmas, mixed with all three styles. This is the first one I've cracked open.

Smell: Very sweet, almost light honey. Very malty nose, with no real traces of any bitterness

Taste: Follows the smell, very sweet and malty. Faint, very faint bitterness that has to be from hops but I can't taste that hop flavor. Very bready in the finish from the yeast.

I nearly messed myself when I opened this present, but so far this one didn't knock my socks off. A very, very good Belgian Pale Ale, but I'm not sure this one is worth going to the ends of the Earth for.

12-25-2006 20:09:12 | More by leftmindedrighty
cbl2

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

12/25/2006 $18.00 Best by 11-08-07 clearly labeled on green cap.

Appearance:

Pours a slightly hazy golden hue that has intensely fine carbonation that yields a pillowy white half inch head marred by a touch of yeast sediment.

Aroma:

Nice bready quality with faint hints of peppery spicyness with a touch of pineapple.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Carbonation tickles the tongue, leading to a nice chewy mouthfeel. Flavors are somewhat muted with only a bitter euro-pilsner flavor and the presence of fresh cut grass. A faint hint of malt sweetness creeps in towards the end, but it is overwhelmed by the spicyness of the hops. This is not at all what I was expecting, and I'm a little disappointed. Not a bad beer, but not worth the price.

12-25-2006 19:34:16 | More by cbl2
laintringulis

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Served in an oversized wine glass by my hubby.

Pours a dark golden yellow somewhat cloudy with a large white head that lasts throughout drinking. Incredible lacing. I think hubby poured it a little dirty.

Smell: Strong Belgian yeast, light banana, clover honey, citrus, pleasant grassiness and pepper.

Taste: Brief honey sweetened maltiness on the initial taste. Progresses into nice yeasty citrus, grassy hoppiness with a slightly bitter dry peppery finish. Overall, quite nice. I was not expecting it to live up to the hype.

Light bodied, very well carbonated without being stingy. Not watery or thin. Highly drinkable, easy to session and enjoy. The only draw back is the rarity and the price.

12-24-2006 11:39:07 | More by laintringulis
peabody

Kentucky

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

This is my birthday present to me. 12/22.
Pours out a beautiful cloudy straw color with one full finger of white suds. The last few drops turned the white suds a pale yellow where they fell. Nice malty suds that stay in the Westy chalice for a very long time.
Smell is clove and cinnamon and a sweet yeast that almost burns the back of the nose. The grassy smell is here. (never smelled that before). I guess that's the hops but I have not sampled that aroma before.
I am glad I had a glass of 2 below before I had this. This is so much more complex. Sugar and wheat and straw and caramel.
These hops are incredible. So sweet and dark.
BTW lacing is incredible here.
Mouthfeel is wonderful with so much going on. The maltyness and the black bitterness that just barely comes to the front then dissapears back into the sugary fruitiness.
If I were a rich man then this would be my session beer.
25 bucks a bottle though is a bit high. I have tried it!

12-23-2006 01:04:13 | More by peabody
nlmartin

4.4/5  rDev +3%

This beer was served in an oversize wine goblet. Through the power of E-Bay Westvleteren comes to me. Yeah, I guess I am an evil unprincipled American.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy blonde yelow coloration. Small bubbles from carbonation push for the surface. Small amounts of sediment dance among the bubbles. Perhaps I should have cleaned up my pour but I dont mind chunkies. The head of the beer is 1 finger high with perfect retention. Streaks of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The beer has musty grassy hops. The smell of banana and honey combine in belgian yeast.

Taste: This beer delivers a very pronounced peppery citrus entry. This gives way to musty grassy hops. This is good stuff!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is light bodied but not thin in the least. The beer is well carbonated. This beer is very smooth. Frankly, this beer would be very hard to improve. This would rank among my all time greatest session beers except for the rarity.

12-18-2006 07:51:29 | More by nlmartin
DogFood11

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Part of my once in a lifetime purchase. Poured into a Westy chalice it forms a loose white head that leaves ring lacing. Hazey golden body, looks like some small yeast particles are causing the haze.

It was rather bland in the nose. I get plenty of wheat and hay. Slightly fruity and some grass on the backside.

Thankfully the taste was a stunning display of complexity. The spices not only gave this brew some life it ressurected the mouthfeel to excellent. Hops are pretty raw and counteract any sweetness for balance. Very smooth and finishes critically clean to the point I was immediatly ready for the next pull. Crispy.

Notes: I was blown away with the taste and mouthfeel. Started off on the wrong foot with the decent appearance and then a uneventful smell. Then it gives you this burst of hops and tons of flavor. Fairly dry overall. My take is that this is a world class beer and one of the best I've had in the style to date.

12-15-2006 02:47:54 | More by DogFood11
mrmanning

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

SLightly hazy pale yellow/straw liquid sits underneath a bed of frothy white foam. Lemony/citrus aromas give way to subtle spices, mixed with grassy/hay nuances. Very soft and pleasant. Very fruity lemon zest and other citrus flavours. Herbal, with mild bitter hopping, and a touch of mint leaf/fresh grass. Good, and again subtle. Very refreshing lemon/mineral finish. Creamy mouthfeel. Thanks for sharing this rare treat Mr. Horsey!

12-14-2006 12:38:05 | More by mrmanning
drumline

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

33cl bottle dated 11.08.07

Appearance - Pours a hazy yellow, with a nice half inch head that lingered around. This beer has "legs"

Smell - Grassy, floral, and slight honey flavors.

Taste - Bready and grassy. Nice hop kick up front, with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and smooth, with the perfect balance of dryness and bitterness. Generous amount of carbonation, but doesn't detract from the drinkability.

Drinkability - If I lived near Westvleteren, this would be an ideal session beer. I love it.

11-16-2006 04:10:01 | More by drumline
vwcraig

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Date on cap 11/08/07

Poured an appealing golden color into a goblet. About a 1/4" head that lasted for quite a while.

Smelled of yeast, bananas, and kind of grassy. Smell is extremely inviting.

First taste hit me with a light sourness like white grapes. Lightly spiced. Does not taste like an alcoholic drink at all. Hardly any bitterness at all, mostly sweet tastes.

Mouthfeel on lighter side and no annoying overcarbonation.

Unbelievable drinkability. This beer actually quenches thirst. If this was readily available I would have no use for drinking water anymore. Absolute favorite of this style.

11-15-2006 20:33:41 | More by vwcraig
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow-straw, fluffy head, little retention, some lace.

S: Slight leather aroma, earthy/minerally spicyness, slight citrus.

T: Bready, grassy, earthy & slightly metallic. A little horse-blanket (Belgian yeast funk), but not at all acidic.

M: Light to moderate body is very creamy; light to moderate carbonation.

D: Very good.

11-14-2006 00:52:55 | More by Derek
rayjay

Hawaii

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

This little lowest-rated Westy ale turned out to be my favorite of the lot; 11.08.07 on the cap. Simple delicious beer. Poured a golden straw color, lightly hazy, not much of a head to speak of, but the carbonation's as light as a feather and provides a gentle spice, like mild champagne bubbles. Light, bready body and a mild hop bite, which falls off to a gently sweet, grainy aftertaste. Fresh mountain spring water is evident everywhere in this ale. Meticulously crafted, with perfect balance and brilliant restraint. Eminently drinkable and refreshing. This may be the ultimate Belgian session beer. The best example I've had of the style yet. Cheers!

11-09-2006 06:13:04 | More by rayjay
hoppymeal

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a light honey and straw gold in color, hazy, with a decent sized white head that recedes slowly. A floral and sugary sweetness in the nose mix with clove like spice and bananas. Sweet sugariness, white grape juice and a light honey flavor are apparent in the taste. Very creamy and smooth medium body with a light pepperiness that enters mid-taste and lingers thru the aftertaste. A decent sized grassy bitterness is drying in the finish. Easy to drink, alcohol is hidden nicely, very nice mouthfeel.

11-05-2006 19:08:48 | More by hoppymeal
lagomswedish

Sweden

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Straight out of a fridge at the Bishops Arms in Umeå.

appearence - might have had a touch of chill haze, but a yeasty pale straw yellow colour with a fine head that slowly disappeared, leaving fine lacing that stuck around.

Smell - Complex, with herby, slightly peppary hints, lemon and honey.

Taste - the drinking man's trappist - begins with some faint malt and a touch of herbs and phenols, which is all quickly and rather rudely pushed aside by a powerful hoppy finish, with a puckering bitterness that can be felt all the way back home (it's a 30 minute walk from the pub). The lack of richness that you usually associate with Belgium beers only makes this example more noteworthy and more drinkable!

Mouthfeel - wonderful, tingley carbonation at the tip of the tongue, followed by a smooth middle and a powerful hop kick in the throat at the end. Who said you can't have it all?

Drinkability - one of the most suprising Trappists I've drunk to date, not least because this is a beer that you could drink more than one bottle of without being wasteful. Of course you've got to find another bottle first, and when you do be prepared to spend $27.50 to buy it (this is, after all Sweden). But you get the general idea...

10-28-2006 16:55:01 | More by lagomswedish
drewbage

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From a set of bottles carried back from a quick weekend trip to Belgium in March 2006. Cap is dated 17-12-06 (aka Dec. 17th 2006 in US format)

Poured and sampled from a Westy chalice the beer pours with a shallow white crispy head that holds throughout the brew. Hazy and strong gold, CO2 continues bubbling strongly for the length of the brew

Strong mineral character shapes the appearance of a grassy hop character in the palate. A subtle Belgian spiciness runs through the beer in a pleasant fashion without a strong "funk". Behind the hops exists a crisp malt character with large toasty note.

A fine sessionable beer. Worth the sweat carrying back from the Abbey.

10-12-2006 08:07:22 | More by drewbage
SkeeterHawk

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

I had this beer at a special sour beer tasting with some close friends. This beer came out pretty late, but certainly welcome as a slight departure from the tart.

The beer poured light golden colored that was somewhat hazy with a small 1/4" head of white bubbles. The head stuck around for at least 30 seconds.

The aroma was sweet and citrusy with a really noticeable dry and wheat-like edge to it. There are lemons in here in particular.

The flavor follows the aroma pretty closely with the wheat and lemons that reminds me of a subtle lemon cookie. There are other citrus fruit here, but the lemon wins. There is a slight oxidation in this example, but the dryness seems like I may be misinterpreting it from the wheat. There is some alcohol noticeable in the flavor and late in the finish on the back of the throat. There is also a bit of warming in the gullet.

I really enjoyed this beer, and I would certainly partake quite a bit in it if it were readily available in the area...or in the US for that matter. Thumbs up!

10-09-2006 00:26:39 | More by SkeeterHawk
rarevos

Poured into Chimay chalice.

A: Opaque golden yellow with a tinge of orange. Thick white head that has terrific staying power.

S: Citrus (lemon, orange), unmistakable whiff of Belgian yeast (banana, clove) and a hint of honey. Bit of a rustic-type aroma, like a robust saison.

T/M: Totally different than the aroma. The initial taste is a bit of dry grain, with a wheat and corn presence. Spices are very subdued, but there's a touch of pepper. Finish is crisp, dry and lightly hoppy. Long, bitter tail.

D: This is much drier than I was expecting, and that was a really pleasant surprise. I was almost expecting to be blown away by this beer; I wasn't, but that's not the beer's fault. It's still a very good beer, and I'm glad to have tried it, but it's not so awesomely awesome that I'll be looking to go all Mission:Impossible again to track another bottle down on the cheap. Drier and less fruity than many of the more widely available blondes, and that was a nice change of pace.

09-08-2006 18:35:56 | More by rarevos
beerphilosopher

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with an off-white head that is ample ... leaving gorgeous lacing patterns in the oversized wine glass. A worderful picture. Nose is of sweet malts, confectioner's sugar, Belgian yeast, and spices - clove and black pepper. I could smell this alone and be happy. Palate is complex and encompassing, with sweet malt and some terrific citrus notes. A perfect hop balance keeps this beer from being cloying in a masterful way. Relatively dry finish and the taste gains complexity as it warms. Spiciness lingers on long after you swallow. This beer has an absolutely incredible mouthfeel that is thick, but not heavy. Substantial but not overwhelming in any way. A sublime blonde from the Brothers at Westvleteren. I could drink this one at any time ... if only I had more than two bottles. Terrific.

08-30-2006 23:54:04 | More by beerphilosopher
neonbrown82

Nebraska

3.63/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Dogfooddog for this sample. This was the last in the line of the Rochefort vs Westy challenge. Not so much of a direct comparison between this and the Rochefort 6, however. More of a congratulatory drink. In retrospect I probably should have gone from weak to strong, but I also wouldn't say that my experience has been dampered.

The beer pours to a light golden color. Still very hazy even though I managed to keep most of the sediment in the bottle. A little bit flat, but still produced a little centimeter head in my broudmouthed St. Bernardus chalice.

The smell is very grainy with a feint bit of hops. Almost has a bit of a corny aroma. Definitely a bit past its prime, though I haven't had a fresher sample. No problems, however, as it was advertised as such. A bit of light candy sugar in the aroma as well.

The taste is also very grainy and also has a bit of a corn syrup flavor. I suspect it is much better fresher, but it was still good enough. I preferred the 3 year old version of Rochefort 6 to this 2 year old Westy, though as I mentioned it is not a direct comparison.

08-25-2006 08:26:08 | More by neonbrown82
Trappist Westvleteren Blonde from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)