Trappist Westvleteren Blonde - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren BlondeTrappist Westvleteren Blonde

good

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Green Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren Blonde Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +4%

This was my first bottle from 2 crates I recently picked up at the abbay. The beer poured a hazy golden color, straw like color. The pour produced a one inch thick head that later gave way to a thick, sticky ring on the edge of the glass. The aroma was pleasing to my nose with a balance of citrus and spice along with a good wheat character and yeast as well. The taste was a very nice mix of the sweet with a good dose of citrus but also a good backbone of hop bitterness. The beer produces a very solid wheat character that is refreshing but makes for a medium bodied beer.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Small capped bottle, poured very slowly into a goblet, keeping the yeats in the bottle.

Beautiful, pale golden and clear, with a thick, fluffy white head that lasts forever, with nice lacing.
Aroma is earthy, herbal and spicy, some citric notes.
Light bodied, but still firm and smooth, lively carbonated, brings herbal and yeasty notes, a hoppy, dry finish. As an appetizer or a session beer, it is an amazing brew.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

So what does a twelve-euro beer taste like? Surely I paid a premium at Beer Mania in Brussels this summer when I picked up a bottle each of Westy Blonde plus an 8 and a 12, but what the hell? I may never get back there and there are no channels for purchasing it here in Boston that I know of, though the Publick House (Brookline, MA) teasingly lists it on their beer menu. ("We're out," the barkeep said with a slight smile on his face. "We're always out.").

It has been cellared ever since August, but I was advised (again tip o' the cap to Publick) to drink the Blonde sooner rather than later. Hopefully I haven't waited too long.

Pouring into a tulip, head came right up more quickly than I had expected and I had to put my mouth on the lip of the glass to stop overflow, but once it settled down, the color was light straw, almost a "light beer" (no offense) color but that is fine for the style, if I'm not mistaken. The lacing is dense down the sides of the tulip. Looks nice.

Absolute earthy bouquet with a strong lemony presence and almost iodine sharpness. So far, so good.

Hit with some sourness at first taste and some metallic notes. The metallic taste doesn't sit well with me. Hops show up to the party a bit late, but make up for tardiness by lingering a bit. Good body. Mouthfeel seems to push all the flavors into every corner of the ol' piehole.

I like this beer a lot, but more of a fan of darker Beglians. Still, I would seek this out if get the opportunity.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

i drank this over the weekend out of a nice christmas wine glass.

the beer poured a cloudy yellow with about a quarter inch of head. the beer is highly carbonated with little to no lacing.

the smell is large on the cereal and citrus end with some fruity and floral undertones.

the taste is a bit bitter, but the bitterness fades fast. i taste a bit of spice and floweriness as well. i notice it also to be a bit peppery. overall, the balance of this beer is nice.

the mouthfeel of this beer is highly carbonated and fluffy, like rose petals.

this beer is lighter tasting that i expected. it's a very drinkable beer. would be awesome to have it just laying around to session.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured a deep hazy yellow with a touch of orange. Just a touch of off white head.

Smell has a light touch of wheat and yeast with a bit of lemony zest.

Flavor is very wheaty with a bit of light citrus flavors, some nice clean light malt comes through with a very crisp dry citrus hop quality.

Mouthfeel is light and creamy with a superb dry finish.

Very easy to drink, nice clean easy to drink balanced belgian pale.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a cloudy yellow color with a decent head that quickly dissipated. The aroma is cereal, citrus, floral and spicy. Hops are noticeable. The smell is intense and complex. The taste is as complex as the aroma. Cereal and bitterness are accented with floral and citrus flavors. The bitterness hits intensely at onset, but fades to a nice lingering quickly. The mouthfeel is medium and seems quite appropriate for this beer. Overall, this is a very smooth but complex beer that lends itself to drinking.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Yellow-Orange color.

Smell: Sweet, flowery aroma

Taste: Smooth sweet taste, a hint of hops to start, finishing with a mellow malty feel.

Mouthfeel: Light feel...no heaviness at all.

Drinkability: Would sip these all night long (if it was possible to get more often, instead...I'll enjoy the one I have).

Not as "spectacular" as its big-brother (the 12), but great none-the-less.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

This's my second ever Westvleteren Blond... with an interesting difference. It's freshness date is 24 Nov 2007! I am 2 days away from it's so called expiration. :) But anyway, it's like I am just done with a whole load of academic crap and I was deciding what to drink for the night; posted something on BA to poll for opinions and in the end thought I would chill out with a light one.. away from all the big beers for today. :) On to the beer, This one smells citrusy, grassy, malty and yeasty; the yeasts took a stronger stand after the pour but before the pour, off the opening I had nice sweetness admist the malts and minimal yeast. The pour again yielded one of the best lookers though I am pretty sure this one is murkier than my previous Westy Blond (probably due to the age and dark sediments) but I just love the way the creamy head develops; very nice... It comes up nice and after the pour it continues to grow in a very nice way leaving a smooth looking creamy head that you almost feel like touching it to feel it. The entry was a refreshing scent of yeast mixed with malts and grassiness and as we move towads the finish the malts take over. There was a slight malt sweetness throughout which made it pretty pleasant. The finish was dry and slightly bitter leaving a nice bready nose and a very lasting after taste made up of malts and grapes. There was also some breadiness in the after taste as well. Interesting that after sitting around for a good 5+ minutes, the after taste feels like pears. :) Body is somewhere between medium to thin and the carbonation goes in strong and its smoothness is water like with a slight creamy touch; not fantastic on the smoothness as illustrated in my last tasting. Perhaps the carbonation was a little too high on this one though it is wierd as this one's older. Nonetheless, a great blond for someone like me who ain't really into blonds. This one ranks up there with Duvel if not going beyond the Duvel. I think I enjoyed it more the last time but I can't be too sure. Perhaps fresher is better for this one. :)

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance- Pours a light and slightly hazy straw yellow with an exceptional head. It's composed of tiny bright white champagne-like bubbles. The retention is ridiculously good and there's plenty of lacing to make its way around the entire circumference of the glass.

Smell- Very light on the nose, with everything being quite subtle and pleasant. Floral with notes of honey and some very faint grass and earthy tones.

Taste- Just slightly fruity at times. Pouring the yeast in gives it some interesting characteristics including more of the previously mentioned earthy and grassy qualities found in the smell. I found a couple of sips to have a very small hint of sourness. Very low bitterness.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability- Very very light, and very very clean. Probably the cleanest tasting beer I've ever had. If it was more widely available, this would be a great session beer on a hot summer day- though perhaps that would be frowned upon by the monks of Westvleteren.

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Had this from a shared bottle at plan b in Copenhagen. The owner has this as his session beer whenever he's in the mood for a nice, light beer (US light beer drinkers, take note), and was nice enough to let me in on one.

With the expectations thrust upon the Westvleteren series, this is good, but very understated. It is light in color and on the palate, with a hint of farmhouse ale character, although not nearly the strong flavors or spices associated with Saisons or Lamics. I was surprised at how light it actually was. It was extraordinarily clear and very dry. Final gravity must be REALLY low in this beer. And even more surprising, the flavor was reminiscent of a pilsner. It sounds like heresy, but that's what I got.

Overall, this beer is very refreshing and clean tasting. Some complexity, but it almost begs to be left alone and enjoyed without pomp or attention. Spendy for what it is, but worth a try when you are wanting a light-er beer and can get one.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

A little early b-day present I decided to treat myself tonight. For my b-day I decided to drink and rate the three more common Westvleteren beers: blonde, 8, and 12. I will start with the blonde tonight and finish the other two tomorrow (Nov. 6); acquired through a trade with northyorksammy, thanks!

Date of 11.08.0 on the cap.

Pours a straw yellow with a tinge of gold color. A slightly vigorous pour produces about half an inch of foam, great retention. Decided to leave most of the yeast in the bottle to appreciate its clarity.

Aroma is zesty, a little bit of peppery coriander, apricot, sweet malt, some orange, not so ripe bananas and some earthy yeast and or hops in there as well. There’s also a touch of honey. Pretty broad aroma; some more sweet aromas break through as the beer warms up.

The taste is very well balanced and a bit complex I would say. Again some lemony zest with some yeast flavors and slightly peppery. A bit of fruits like pears, dried apricots, and bitter nectarine.

The mouthfeel is very good, with some great carbonation and a slightly bitter aftertaste, minimal really. Goes down very smooth; it is crisp and refreshes the palate. This beer would be good at the end of a long hot day.

Can’t say I’m impressed but c’mon I knew I was drinking a Belgian Pale Ale, I wasn’t expecting to be blown away by this one. It’s a very good beer in itself but don’t know if it’s worth the price or hassle to obtain more.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Cloudy light golden in color, with a moderate white head, which retains quite well, thick glass-coating lace, and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet, spicy aroma, of coriander and cloves, prominent light fruit, pears and bananas.

Taste: Mildly spicy at the open, with cloves notably on display, earthy yeast notes and herbal hops as the taste progresses. The finish is quite dry, almost champagne-like.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and quite full.

Drinkability/notes: Very well-made, and quite prone to inspire passions among craft beer connoisseurs.

Many thanks to HardTarget for graciously sharing this rare example.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

cloudy gold with a thick white head resting on top, sticks around and laces well.
soft floral yeast is the most dominant aroma, but that isn't a good word. soft creamy lightly tropical notes of pineapple, mango, orange and faint banana. grassy, flaoral hops are present in more quantity than i would have thought, they're welcome though.
the taste contains the soft yeastiness from the aroma, coupled with a (as in the aroma) stronger dose of sort of mmm... musty(?) noble hops. sometimes faint vegetal and vanilla notes weave in and out. little bit of corriander... mango and banana are present in the finish. creamy yet crisp and clean, which the slightly light body and active, bubbly carbonation only lend to. it seems to cleanse itself right off the palate. the word zesty comes to mind.
drinkability is very high, all aspects of it create a beer that begs you to have more than one.
a masterfully crafted beer for what it is and not overrated a bit. take any opportunity you can to get your hands on some, though i'm sure you would anyway.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

My first beer from Westvleteren. I've got a couple more of these and 5 each of the 8 and 12, so I'm working my way up the ladder.

A - Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Westy chalice fresh from Global Beer. Pours beautiful color of spun gold or Rapunzel's long golden locks with a thick quickly receding head that's leaves more lace with each sip.

S - Not as spicy (clove, nutmeg, etc.) as many Belgian Pales, but the herbal smell from the hops is something you don't get from most other beers of its type either.

T - Perfectly balanced hops that are often forgotten in other beers of this style, followed by the spice that is much more pronounced in the taste and finally a whisper of lemon peel on the finish...Yum!

M - Excellent carbonation. In fact, I probably should have scored it higher here, but for some reason (probably the Westvleteren name) I expected it to be more full bodied. I'm sure that will come with the Dubble and Quad.

D - Less than 6% alcohol....This is my new favorite drinker. Too bad it ain't readily available. Nearly as flavorful as La Fin Du Monde with half (approx.) the liquor...Nice job Monks.

I've heard many people complain that this is an inferior beer to the other Westy offerings and because it costs the same its not worth you time. If I could afford the shipping cost on a regular basis, I'd buy this by the case for weekend kick starts. I haven't tried the others (yet) but I am greatly looking forward to it based upon the quality of this "inferior" offering.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

My first westy. I'm very excited. Poured into my chimay glass.

Very cloudy appearance. Nice head and retention.

Good strong initial smell. Banana phenol and cloves. Nicely spiced on the nose.

Dry hopped bitterness comes out, but spiciness does not really hold up. Some sweetness comes up on the front with a dry hopped bitterness. This beer is really over rated, there are a little out of whack tannins on it too.

I'm really disappointed in this beer, but I'm glad I tried it.

Decent mouthfeel. Clings fair, but no crispness. Carbonation could be better.

At last, review #1000. This one goes out to all the people who have shared great beers with me over the years. Massive thanks to biegaman for bringing back this treasure from Belgium, as well as Westy 8 and 12.

Pours a cloudy straw yellow, thick white head, nice lacing on the glass, great retention, this stuff really sticks. Smell is nice, sweet and malty, honey, bread, floral, grassy hops, some spice, wheat, noble hoppy goodness. Taste is similar, nice malts, bread and biscuits, floral and grassy hops, wheat, bit of spice, sweet tea finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation, very refreshing. Nice example of a blond, very happy I could try this one. Thanks Jan!!

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to Leftmindedrighty for this one.

Hmm, there's some brown stuff (mold?) under the cap, but hey, it's a Belgian. First aroma is of light farmhouse aroma, roasted driftwood (yeah, go figure) and herbs. The flavor follows up with the wood flavor transforming into an earthy biscuit taste, along with a nice bit of saaz hops, wheat malt, and lemon zest. Very drinkable, the overall feel makes me think of a lighter version of Duvel, even though the flavor is fairly different.

So is it overrated? Yeah, probably a little. But it's something different for the Belgian pale category (props!), it has a wonderful mouthfeel, and its so easy-drinking, it's hard to savor. I just want to drink it all.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

As most beer afficionados know... IF a beer glass is clean, there will be a foam ring layered for each drink you take from this glass or mug. If the mug is dirty, then it will not. As for the beer... I usually review wines, but for this special beer, I was utterly impressed from start to finsh. The ullage was great, and the brew poured with a distinctive thick head. Having not partaken of any ales or stronger brews in awhile, this jumped off my pallate like a springboard. The experience was one I will remember for some time. I ended up drinking three with a nice bratwurst. Worth the expense I paid having it shipped here from Belgium.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I poured a 330 ml bottle into a cooled challis. I sampled a Westy Blonde earlier this year then set two aside for later and use in composing this review. One of the two was shared with a friend now the time is ripe to taste the final of the three bottles.

A: It poured a hazy golden color with a one finger slightly off-white head that appeared creamy and sticky. The head receded rather quickly leaving a coating over the beer and a fine rich lace down the side of the glass. The lacing broke down and the head became a cloudy swirl over the top of the beer as the experience progressed. This is a quite handsome beer.

S: It has a light yet complex aroma that includes a blend of gentile peppers, citrus (lemon and possibly mandarin orange) and very slight hints of malty sweetness.

T: It begins with a spicy (white pepper) and fruty (lemon zest and soft bananas) flavor. That is followed by the muted bitterness of hops and hints of white chocolate.

M: Exceedingly smooth and creamy. The light carbonation, well balanced hops and barely detectable alcohol give it a nice kick on the back side without leaving a lingering sour feel in my mouth. It has great balance; just like its Westy brothers.

D: Quite drinkable. It falls short of its brothers in many ways but it is a superior Witt and at or near the head of the class of Belgium Pale Ales. For the dollars invested I’d rather play with the 8 or 12 but I’d never kick this Blonde out of my cooler.

biegaman was nice enough to share this one. what can you say about a guy who comes back with belgium and brings over not one, not two, but 3 beers from westvleteren to share in celebration of your birthday? thanks a ton jan!

330ml bottle, best before 29/09/0something. can't quite tell if the last digit is an 8 or a 9 or something else.

pours a nice golden yellow with a small blob of haze from the last bit of the bottle. a big fluffy white head rises up and drops very slowly, leaving some chunky lace behind.

aroma is great. touch of alcohol. light belgian spice. hints of corriander and clove. there's a nice floral and spicy hop character too. light cracker malt.

taste is good. medium-low bitterness level. bit of alcohol. very light spicy character - mostly corriander, with a very slight bit of clove. nice cracker malts.

mouthfeel is great. medium carbonation level. medium-light body. nice dry finish.

drinkability is good. well balanced, light, and very refreshing. good stuff. thanks again jan!

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Review 900 will be on a Westy, brought back from Amsterdam by my fine son.

And, as he was told by the locals, Westy is good beer, but they’re better ones from Belgium. Which tells the story for this guy too – mediorcre pour of lemony yellow, not much head or lace. But she does turn murky yellow as one swirls in the bottom goodies.

Aroma surprised me a bit – on the musty sour side of an apple barrow, bits of citrus mingle about. Citrusy and sharp, it’d be easy to sip down several, while seated in a countryside Belgium café. Just enough hops to balance ‘er out, meekly pushing to the hoppy side.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Part one of three for me. I cant wait to try the others. Trademark bottle with no label and a green cap.

Pours with huge frothy white head that leaves behind some great lacing. Very well retained.

I find the nose is very well balanced. Has some clean floral/earthy notes, a little bite of citrus and a yeasty spice.

The taste is delicious. Highly drinkable, to bad I only have one, oh well I still have three of the 8's and 2 of the 12's to enjoy. Has hints of hops, spice, a long finish. You can really feel this brew at the back of the throat. Outstanding!

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Trappist Westvleteren Blonde

LeftMindedRighty is as great a friend a guy could ask for. Thank you sir for sharing this with me. After a Saturday full of drinking we passed out. Sunday morning we foolishly agreed to run around in the 90 degree heat playing a silly game of old fart, soccer LOL. Actually it was kind of fun but exhausting. Coming in from the heat. Sitting in the A/C on a Sunday afternoon this kind Gentleman agreed to crack a Westy Blonde and share it with me. A treat indeed. Aaron posed the point that the proper occasion for this beer is hard to find since it runs the same price as the 8 and the 12 but it is hardly worthy of a tasting. I see that point. A blonde ale a simple Belgian Pale, is not as much of a wow you type beer. That said. This is a very good one!

served at 67 degrees in a Westvleteren Chalice.

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous clear gold color with a thick white head and absolutely magnificent lacing.

Smell: It has a very gentle aroma of pale malts citrus and Belgian yeast. A bit of lemon a cloves creep through the nose with a grassy hop presence as well.

Taste: This is a very well crafted Pale Ale that is literally packed with subtleties but they are just that, subtleties making nothing (in the 2 dollars an ounce priced beer) really jump out and grab you. It has light wheat feel with some grain and lemon with gentle citrus presence and a bit of herbal minty flavor and a true bone dry finish. The aftertaste lasts forever. Delightful, but hard to call exceptional partly because of the style.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and very smooth with a soft touch but a bone dry feel left behind on every spot of the palate the beer contacts.

Drinkability: It is pleasant and magnificently drinkable, I could easily put back a 6pack of this beer, and in doing so drink half of my monthly beer budget in one sitting. It is simply not practical to session but if you are blessed with the opportunity to try it like I was, I suggest you take it while you can.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this one while sitting in the sun on a beautiful day at In De Vrede while waiting to pick up my two cases of Westvleteren 8 from the Abbey. I'd already had the 8 and the 12 and since it was hot out, the Blonde was the obvious choice. I don't know when it was bottled but I'd guess it was less than a month old.

It has a pale straw colored cloudy body with a one inch white head initially that fell fairly quickly. It smells very yeasty and malty with some fruitiness that reminds me a bit of a hefe with some banana and maybe apple. The flavor is not at all what I would have expected, but it is indeed good. It was much hoppier than I would have expected with both hop bitterness and flavor. It had a bit of spiciness to it as well and then finished with a malty finish. I think I got some noble hop aroma in there but I could be wrong. It is fairly light bodied. It could have been the situation, but it seemed like the perfect summer drink.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

A- Thin white cloudy head on a cloudy light golden body.
S- Big banana with breads and spicey yeast, hints of cloves, and sweeter pale malts.
T- Light banana, lighter clove and spicey yeast flavor. The flavor fades fast and tastes like mineral water, then theres a little dry hop bitterness on tip of tongue.
M- Medium body with low/medium carbonation.
D- It is pretty good but aftertaste is pretty much not there. Don't think I would get this again but glad I tried it.

Trappist Westvleteren Blonde from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)